2020-2021 Marshall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Marshall University

Members don't see this ad.

Only apply here if you have VERY strong WV ties & are not a 1st gen! Good luck everybody. Your admissions team (esp Cindy) is awesome!

Only apply here if you have VERY strong WV ties & are not a 1st gen! Good luck everybody. Your admissions team (esp Cindy) is awesome!
Do you mean 1st gen as in first in your family to go to college or 1st generation immigrant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Strong ties = yes, very much needed.
Marshall is very preferential towards 1st generation college students too though, so 'deleted' should delete that part.

Secondary received.

Word of advice for non WV res they don't even start interview for non-res until December so if you're overwhelmed this might be the secondary that can wait a little longer.

Reactions: 1 user
Are the secondary same as last year?
yep! with the addition of one about covid.

"Please share any disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, and/or personal life relatd to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. "

yep! with the addition of one about covid.

"Please share any disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, and/or personal life relatd to COVID-19 that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider. "
thx

How is everyone answering the "Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine?"

I currently have 86 words. They gave us 5000 so I don't wanna seem like I half-assed it but it's also a fairly straight forward question.

For the 'traffic violation' questions, I got a few speeding tickets probably 8 years ago or so. I definitely do not have those tickets still and don't remember the dates or anything. The only way I can obtain this is by ordering my full driving record through my states MVA, which seems like a hassle. Is this all really necessary? Do they really care if I got a speeding ticket when I was 18?

How is everyone answering the "Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Where do you want to serve or practice medicine?"

I currently have 86 words. They gave us 5000 so I don't wanna seem like I half-assed it but it's also a fairly straight forward question.
Being straightforward seems to work best, mine was short and to the point- dont want to fluff it up and be repetitive.

OOS with no ties but reside in Ohio? Anyone know how this would be viewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only apply here if ur IS or you have strong ties to WV, otherwise steer away. Got off the phone with someone on adcom and they mentioned this like 5 times on the call lol.

anyone know when OOS applicants are considered for an interview?

anyone know when OOS applicants are considered for an interview?
Plenty of information on this in previous years' threads.

But since that's such a hassle and all - OOS reviews generally don't begin until late fall (Oct/Nov), and OOS interviews are typically all scheduled after the first of the year. This is how it's historically been done at least; who knows with COVID.

Does anyone know if Marshall has mandatory attendance (under normal non-COVID circumstances)? What about their grading policy, is it P/F or letter grading?

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know if Marshall has mandatory attendance (under normal non-COVID circumstances)? What about their grading policy, is it P/F or letter grading?

Thanks in advance!

preclinical is currently graded (A, B, C, F) but changing to P/F. clinical is typical honors/pass/fail.

attendance for lecture is not mandatory, but the change to P/F involves a full curriculum rework that entails less lecture time but more 'active learning'.

preclinical is currently graded (A, B, C, F) but changing to P/F. clinical is typical honors/pass/fail.

attendance for lecture is not mandatory, but the change to P/F involves a full curriculum rework that entails less lecture time but more 'active learning'.

Thanks! Any idea what "active learning" would entail? Is it a PBL/TBL type of thing?

Also, are there lecture recordings available?

Yes and yes.

Would you happen to know how much of the curriculum would be made up of PBL after the rework? Would it be around 50/50 PBL and lecture, or majority PBL?

Thank you so much for your info.

Would you happen to know how much of the curriculum would be made up of PBL after the rework? Would it be around 50/50 PBL and lecture, or majority PBL?

Thank you so much for your info.
Not sure on the specifics... hasn't been rolled out yet.

Just got a vita invite. Does this mean I have also been invited for an in-person interview, or is vita used to screen before sending actual interview invites?

Last edited:
Vita IS the interview
I think there is a zoom interview as well, the email said applicants have to complete the vita before scheduling an interview, so I wasn't sure if they used vita as a screen before offering the interview

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think there is a zoom interview as well, the email said applicants have to complete the vita before scheduling an interview, so I wasn't sure if they used vita as a screen before offering the interview
Fair! from my understand on the AAMC website VITA is a substitute for an interview not in addition too. But hey anything goes in COVID-19 World

Just got a secondary. Am in Ohio with some ties to WV. I wrote about some of my Appalachian experiences in my PS. Do I fall into the "we'll get to you later on" category discussed earlier? Just got hit with a lot of secondaries and am trying to prioritize.

Good luck everyone.

I live in Appalachia in Ohio. I have no ties to WV. Is it worth sending a secondary?

Check out this link from their website https://jcesom.marshall.edu/media/58991/new-application-requirement-for-the-2021-cycle_vita.pdf it says " To further enhance our holistic review process during the 2021 application cycle, we are requiring applicants who have been invited to interview to complete the Video Interview Tool for Admissions (VITA), administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). The AAMC VITA was designed to complement our live virtual interview process -- and not replace it."

I just received a VITA interview invite from Marshall today as well so as soon as that is completed, they will schedule the the live virtual interview.

Check out this link from their website https://jcesom.marshall.edu/media/58991/new-application-requirement-for-the-2021-cycle_vita.pdf it says " To further enhance our holistic review process during the 2021 application cycle, we are requiring applicants who have been invited to interview to complete the Video Interview Tool for Admissions (VITA), administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). The AAMC VITA was designed to complement our live virtual interview process -- and not replace it."

I just received a VITA interview invite from Marshall today as well so as soon as that is completed, they will schedule the the live virtual interview.
Yea I got my live interview invite probably about a week after I submitted my VITA, was just being neurotic. Good luck with VITA and your interview!

Yea I got my live interview invite probably about a week after I submitted my VITA, was just being neurotic. Good luck with VITA and your interview!
Thank you! Good luck with your interview. Do you mind sharing what interview dates were available at the time that you scheduled yours?

Thank you! Good luck with your interview. Do you mind sharing what interview dates were available at the time that you scheduled yours?
They did not offer a list of dates like other schools, they just emailed me a date and asked if I was available for that time.

For those OOS, did they only provide interview dates in Jan. And February?

Hi everyone! I have my interview soon and I was just wondering about how long after interviewing did you hear back?
Thanks!

Took ~3 weeks for me!
Do you mind saying when you got the sit down interview with the 2 faculty from Marshall? You can give the range of the days of when you were interviewed if thats more comfortable.