2021-2022 Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pathways II today. Complete ~10/10. LM 72, WARS 88, OOS. (Probably will send a pre interview thank you note for even wanting to talk to me :) )

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
+1 pathways and a polite no from HST! Super excited. Complete 8/10

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i got a HST II and mDPHD ii, but nothing from pathways

is this a pathways R?
If you're a likely reject for one program, they send you the rejection alongside the invite to the other. If you weren't rejected that means theyre still considering you.

Reactions: 1 user
Pathways II today. Complete ~10/10. LM 72, WARS 88, OOS. (Probably will send a pre interview thank you note for even wanting to talk to me :) )
the way you manifested that II is commendable, congrats!

Early January, I only had one date available
oh, I guess there are no interviews for the next two weeks then. When I got an II, the first available date was two days later, and then I had 5 slots available in the next week.

Perhaps they were late in scheduling and so maybe some dates for this week/early next already filled. That being said, I'm guessing they will go till the 2nd week of January as the last dates and maybe they have 2 more weeks of IIs (early next week maybe) and then maybe first week of January (or it could just be one

Perhaps they were late in scheduling and so maybe some dates for this week/early next already filled. That being said, I'm guessing they will go till the 2nd week of January as the last dates and maybe they have 2 more weeks of IIs (early next week maybe) and then maybe first week of January (or it could just be one
Next week had a couple days open when I scheduled ~1wk ago

yea, they release decision in late February, right? I would guess we're near the end. Def don't feel good about post-II chances at all, but glad I at least got this far.

II today! Email at 9 AM est. very happy. Earliest schedule was next week and a couple in first week Jan, that’s about it. I know I’m at the end of the interviews so I don’t think I have a good chance at getting in but it’s just really cool cuz I was sure I had absolutely no shot. Good luck to all with interviews coming up!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today! Email at 9 AM est. very happy. Earliest schedule was next week and a couple in first week Jan, that’s about it. I know I’m at the end of the interviews so I don’t think I have a good chance at getting in but it’s just really cool cuz I was sure I had absolutely no shot. Good luck to all with interviews coming up!
Harvards not rolling! So if you got an interview I think you have a good shot :)

When were you complete?

Just out of curiosity, how does Harvard make the decision after the interviews. Would adcom call the letter writers?

I was just hearing from friends that some med school adcom call letter writers to learn more about the applicants. Is that l true? If so, should I remind my letter writers ahead of time? Sorry, just suddenly thought of this…

I was just hearing from friends that some med school adcom call letter writers to learn more about the applicants. Is that l true? If so, should I remind my letter writers ahead of time? Sorry, just suddenly thought of this…
I am sure they read the letters but don’t call the authors

I've never heard of calling the letter writers unless there's an inconsistency between your letter and your activity description/interview.

I've never heard of calling the letter writers unless there's an inconsistency between your letter and your activity description/interview.
Cleveland clinic supposedly calls your PI to talk about your research etc but thats the only time I've heard of it

how does the admission rate compare for pathways versus HST
I got* that they were roughly equal to maybe slightly higher for HST? Both sitting around 20-22% though.

(E: I have also completely repressed my interview memories so I could totally be misremembering the # of ppl there)
(E2: These are matriculant data so hopefully acceptances are higher? But I have no idea how to guess what % turn down Pathways vs HST...)

Last edited:
I got* that they were roughly equal to maybe slightly higher for HST? Both sitting around 20-22% though.

(E: I have also completely repressed my interview memories so I could totally be misremembering the # of ppl there)
(E2: These are matriculant data so hopefully acceptances are higher? But I have no idea how to guess what % turn down Pathways vs HST...)
it's about 1.5x acceptance at harvard I think.

• Hmm
Did anyone else have a particularly hard interview here? Trying to figure out if it was a stress interview or if my interviewer hated me lol

Did anyone else have a particularly hard interview here? Trying to figure out if it was a stress interview or if my interviewer hated me lol
I haven't interviewed here, but I have heard from a few HMS students that their interviews were particularly difficult. I don't think you're alone in having had a hard interview!

I haven't interviewed here, but I have heard from a few HMS students that their interviews were particularly difficult. I don't think you're alone in having had a hard interview!
This made me feel better, I was legit so sweaty after finishing. LOL thank you!

My interviewer was 100% trying to trip me up. He questioned my entire background (family history, birth, etc.), and then picked apart many of my experiences. He took a very interesting approach to questioning me, which focused on timelines rather than details, which I think would make it especially hard to make things up. Thankfully, I knew my stuff.

They told us at the beginning of the interview, that they have one goal here, and it's not really about doing well, it's "does the person you are on paper match the person you actually are".
I think interview performance mostly only serves as a check mark or not to Harvard. Then, they build a class profile that optimally fits their desired demographics (not talking just race) using the people who got check marks.

I felt as if Harvard was one of my most welcoming interviews. My second interviewer complimented me on my app several times (and it was unexpected cause this is Harvard and I’m kinda an average guy) as a kinda scruffy dude I’ve never blushed so hard in my life.

My first interviewer was also nice and it was like a standard transitional interview.

I’ve def had stress interviews and this didn’t feel like one.

They told us at the beginning of the interview, that they have one goal here, and it's not really about doing well, it's "does the person you are on paper match the person you actually are".
I think interview performance mostly only serves as a check mark or not to Harvard. Then, they build a class profile that optimally fits their desired demographics (not talking just race) using the people who got check marks.

Yeah I agree with this - that was also my impression (i.e., that they probably use interviews to narrow down the pool of applicants they'll choose from as opposed to heavily relying on them to make decisions).

Last edited:
I felt as if Harvard was one of my most welcoming interviews. My second interviewer complimented me on my app several times (and it was unexpected cause this is Harvard and I’m kinda an average guy) as a kinda scruffy dude I’ve never blushed so hard in my life.

My first interviewer was also nice and it was like a standard transitional interview.

I’ve def had stress interviews and this didn’t feel like one.

I had the same experience! At some other peer schools I definitely felt more heavily questioned. Just goes to show how variable the process is.

HST + pathways II this afternoon! There’s still hope!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
HST + pathways II this afternoon! There’s still hope!
Congrats! When did you submit? Also, anyone think an LOI is worth it or is Harvard a school you just have to direct prayers to?

Congrats! When did you submit? Also, anyone think an LOI is worth it or is Harvard a school you just have to direct prayers to?
Submitted like late July and have not sent any letters or updates since. Was a major surprise to receive this news today!

From the attitude I experienced at interview day, Harvard is very... "self confident". I'm fairly certain LOIs are useless at this school.

Thanks so much!! Good luck with your interview :)
My apologies for interjecting, Harvard only shows 2 interview dates at a time because they want to get people to interview ASAP! So even though the rest of January doesn't show, it doesn't mean there aren't interview spots left. There's still hope!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Wow!!! II for Pathways just now!! Cannot believe it—thought I was looking at a soft R. Complete 7/8, but I didn't send an update or anything. LM 82, WARS 101, ORM.

Since people keep asking, they're scheduling during the first week of January. It doesn't seem like they've even opened up dates in late Jan/early Feb yet, so they probably have a few dozen spots left at least.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Really trying to manifest an interview here. Also not to take away hope from others but they only interview historically into like the 2nd week of January. Not late Jan or early Feb. Praying for everyone still hoping for an II

Really trying to manifest an interview here. Also not to take away hope from others but they only interview historically into like the 2nd week of January. Not late Jan or early Feb. Praying for everyone still hoping for an II
I think according to past threads the last day they send II's is right before they go on break (today) :(

I think according to past threads the last day they send II's is right before they go on break (today) :(
Maybe today and tomorrow. They have interviews the first days of this week so they aren't closed down yet. But if they interview into the 2nd week of Jan and aren't scheduling for then maybe 1st week of Jan (tho that might be a stretch)? but likely this week may be the end

Once people get to the II stage, do stats matter that much at Harvard? Because my MCAT is barely in their 10th percentile. My Pathways II was on Friday and it just seems like a waste if they interviewed me if they were just gonna reject me because of my MCAT.
stats always matter, both pre and post II

LizzyM summarized it well in her staircase analogy

no one here is an adcom at harvard so no one here can chance u, just wait

• Okay...
Once people get to the II stage, do stats matter that much at Harvard? Because my MCAT is barely in their 10th percentile. My Pathways II was on Friday and it just seems like a waste if they interviewed me if they were just gonna reject me because of my MCAT.
I'll just say this, Harvard wouldn't have invited you to interview if you didnt have a shot at admission. Additionally, 10% of the class every year has scores at the 10th percentile or below, why not you? :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I'll just say this, Harvard wouldn't have invited you to interview if you didnt have a shot at admission. Additionally, 10% of the class every year has scores at the 10th percentile or below, why not you? :)
This seems true. I listened to Dean White’s podcast at JHU. He echoed how intentional adcoms at really selective programs are about interview decisions. Good luck on your interview day!