2021-2022 Pennsylvania (Perelman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly not sure if it means anything or just some random artifact of their portal or what not. Not sure what the letters "AD" mean or "PK" but at this point don't really care anymore lol. Someone I think posted on the previous page they had the same "AD" as well

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you see two "AD"s / two "PK"s? Or just one? This is what it looks like for me. Like someone noted above, I'm sure it's just them uploading their interview notes, since I'm seeing two rather than just one, which makes sense as we each had two interviews (this theory would be undermined if others are seeing only one, though). Doesn't correspond to interviewer initials, which is curious.
Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 3.58.34 PM.png

haha got curious and checked and i have 6 "PR"s in that column lmao...i think it corresponds to the number of letters of rec you uploaded b/c I sent 6 to Penn. perhaps it designates the initials of the reviewer who reads the LOR or it is a random glitch in the system that fills in something for every letter you upload. probably not a big deal!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
haha got curious and checked and i have 6 "PR"s in that column lmao...i think it corresponds to the number of letters of rec you uploaded b/c I sent 6 to Penn. perhaps it designates the initials of the reviewer who reads the LOR or it is a random glitch in the system that fills in something for every letter you upload. probably not a big deal!
I think you’re right given I sent one and I have one PK which probably stands for packet. I sent a letter packet.

Wait no way I also have 6 PRs!

• Haha
It definitely has something to with letters of rec, that’s quite literally the only thing that document status tab is used for. I highly doubt it has anything to do with admissions decisions. I regret bringing this up lol

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Not someone from Penn Medicine viewing my Linkedin profile recently 👀 lmao

Members don't see this ad :)
i know it won't be coming out until at least next week but damn these spam calls are killing me lmao

Are you guys expecting to hear back March 1st? Or March 15th? Does anyone know if acceptance calls are made the same day they send out WL/R?

Are you guys expecting to hear back March 1st? Or March 15th? Does anyone know if acceptance calls are made the same day they send out WL/R?
Based on passed years it should be in the 1st week of March (and they differed on what they told people in past years too). My guess is 3/1 (Tuesday) or 3/2 (Wednesday). They don't send post-II R's as far as I can tell. They call for an acceptance and email for a waitlist (both on the same day last year, WL the following day after A's the year before, and same day the year before that).

This is the data I have:
- A: 3/3 (W)
- A: 3/2 (M)
- A: 3/6 (W)
- WL: 3/3 (W)
- WL: 3/3 (T)
- WL: 3/6 (W)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Based on passed years it should be in the 1st week of March (and they differed on what they told people in past years too). My guess is 3/1 (Tuesday) or 3/2 (Wednesday). They don't send post-II R's as far as I can tell. They call for an acceptance and email for a waitlist (both on the same day last year, WL the following day after A's the year before, and same day the year before that).

This is the data I have:
Thank you for looking all this up!! Appreciate you

• Love

This is the data I have:
I appreciate this so much! Thank you! Manifesting good news for all of us here ☺️

• Love
  • Care
very weird but I got an email from Penn about "new student account statement issued"?? does anyone have any ideas about what this is?

• Hmm
very weird but I got an email from Penn about "new student account statement issued"?? does anyone have any ideas about what this is?
lmao that would be a terrible adcoms operational mistake if you're not already affiliated with Penn in some way.......

lmao that would be a terrible adcoms operational mistake if you're not already affiliated with Penn in some way.......
I went there for summer academy when I was in high school lmao... other than that no affiliation whatsoever

Do you perchance have “AD” or “PR” in your amp portal?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Lol guys the AD or whatnot doesn’t matter, I’ve had that in my portal since my interview in October.

Anyone know how generous Penn tends to be with scholarships and aid?
Around 30 people get merit scholarships, and I know historically they are good about matching merit at other schools if a school is similarly ranked

Around 30 people get merit scholarships, and I know historically they are good about matching merit at other schools if a school is similarly ranked
Thank you! I saw those 30 for the full tuition, so is it more of a full tuition or nothing sort of thing? Unless you match?

I guess we're all gunning for those 30 spots.
Penn already has a gunner reputation LMAO
I’m sorry if this is opening a can of worms but… I think we’re all individually qualified and deserving of the merit scholarship. I really don’t love thinking of it as a competition. And I get that inevitably it’s a zero-sum game, but framing anonymous folks in a community of Penn-hopefuls as competitors feels a bit coarse, doesn’t it? (I hope everyone reading this gets the scholarship, is that too much to ask? 😂)

Yes it does
It's partly because of the internal ranking that existed or continue to exist
I don’t think there’s an internal ranking anymore? Students I spoke with described it as a “true pass/fail”—Can anyone confirm?

I don’t think there’s an internal ranking anymore? Students I spoke with described it as a “true pass/fail”—Can anyone confirm?
Current students also said the same thing during my interview day when I asked and confirmed that there's no more internal ranking!

Huh my portal changed and now there's a tab saying "You're totally in lol but don't tell the SDN people" plus I just got an email that says "this email will only go to students who are secretly accepted but again keep it on the DL" do you all think that means anything

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I’m sorry if this is opening a can of worms but… I think we’re all individually qualified and deserving of the merit scholarship. I really don’t love thinking of it as a competition. And I get that inevitably it’s a zero-sum game, but framing anonymous folks in a community of Penn-hopefuls as competitors feels a bit coarse, doesn’t it? (I hope everyone reading this gets the scholarship, is that too much to ask? 😂)
I disagree that we're all individually qualified and deserving of that scholarship. It's an extremely naive thing to say. It's a comforting lie. I know there are people with much greater accomplishments than me. It would be a lie to believe that I'm as qualified as those people.

Matter of fact, we're already competing for the acceptance spots as there were more interviews than available seats.

Whether you're choosing to acknowledge it or not, life is made of multiple competition because resources and opportunities are limited. However, it doesn't mean that we should have a negative attitude towards it or resentment toward our competitors.

This is just a philosophical argument I wanted to make just to address your points and is not really related premed stuff. Instead, I just use this premed example to expose the false idea of pacifism and lack of hierarchy in individuals in terms of effort and accomplishments. I know that all people admitted to Penn are great students, but there will be some that would have pushed things a little further.

Anyways
Good to confirm that internal ranking is no longer a thing because it can have negative repercussions...

I disagree that we're all individually qualified and deserving of that scholarship. It's an extremely naive thing to say. It's a comforting lie. I know there are people with much greater accomplishments than me. It would be a lie to believe that I'm as qualified as those people.

Matter of fact, we're already competing for the acceptance spots as there were more interviews than available seats.

Whether you're choosing to acknowledge it or not, life is made of multiple competition because resources and opportunities are limited. However, it doesn't mean that we should have a negative attitude towards it or resentment toward our competitors.

This is just a philosophical argument I wanted to make just to address your points and is not really related premed stuff. Instead, I just use this premed example to expose the false idea of pacifism and lack of hierarchy in individuals in terms of effort and accomplishments. I know that all people admitted to Penn are great students, but there will be some that would have pushed things a little further.

Anyways
Good to confirm that internal ranking is no longer a thing because it can have negative repercussions...
I see what you’re saying, and I understand why you disagree with me. And yes, I do acknowledge the inherent competition (like above, when I said “I get it’s a zero-sum game”). But my friend, even those individuals who have all the 1st author pubs in the world and presidential medals of distinction or whatever, they don’t necessarily bring more value to this world than you or I do. Plus, items on a resume - although obviously important to adcomms - is in reality only a tiny sliver of one’s story. People who belong to groups subject to insidious oppression both historically and presently (URM, LGBTQ, FGLI, etc) may not have the resources or support to look quite as good on paper. But I HOPE that adcomms take into account all of our individual, interesting, and fantastic stories as they decide who gets merit scholarships.

All I’m trying to say is, you are very special and talented and deserving (which you seem to know already from your other posts on SDN), but so is everyone else who applied. There’s so much luck, so much bias in this process. No one is guaranteed anything and no one is immediately out of the running.

So it’s not worth it to think of this as a competition. It’s more worth it to see how your luck falls (or where Providence leads, if you prefer) and take every decision with a grain of salt. You seem to enjoy stoicism - shouldn’t this help your practice? Instead of seeing every A or R as an evaluation of your worth in comparison to others, think of it as a game of luck where you worked your butt off to increase your chances but in the end it did (or did not) work out purely by chance.

Good luck in the rest of the cycle friend. (Feel free to respond or dm me, this is fun)

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Do we think they've even reviewed letters of intent/interest that we sent in the last month or so or were decisions already made soon after we interviewed?
I'm just speculating but since things aren't rolling, I thought maybe they would review most people together this past month?

So are we thinking that this week is the week we’ll hear back?

Ahhhh, do they usually release all decisions in the same day?
Based on SDN threads from last year and the year before, I think we can expect a trickle of calls over a couple days. So if tomorrow is the first day (and fingers crossed it is), we shouldn't lose hope if we don't get a call :)

• Care
Based on SDN threads from last year and the year before, I think we can expect a trickle of calls over a couple days. So if tomorrow is the first day (and fingers crossed it is), we shouldn't lose hope if we don't get a call :)
Wishing everyone on here the best! Good luck to us all ❤️

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know what time historically portals have been updated/calls have gone out?

Got my call last year around 10a, portal updated around 5p. Deferred last year so I’ll be waiting with everyone too!