2021-2022 Pennsylvania (Perelman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
“We maintained a waitlist of some of our most talented applicants, like you, in the hopes that there may be an opportunity to invite you to join our matriculating class of 2022. In the past few weeks, however, it has become increasingly clear that we will not have many positions to offer.”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
“We maintained a waitlist of some of our most talented applicants, like you, in the hopes that there may be an opportunity to invite you to join our matriculating class of 2022. In the past few weeks, however, it has become increasingly clear that we will not have many positions to offer.”
Weird. I'm on the WL and haven't gotten this email, so I wonder if this verbiage is just a flowery way to do WL->R or if they're really not pulling anyone off the WL and haven't gotten around to emailing everyone :confused:

Weird. I'm on the WL and haven't gotten this email, so I wonder if this verbiage is just a flowery way to do WL->R or if they're really not pulling anyone off the WL and haven't gotten around to emailing everyone :confused:
If you look at the language from the post:
it says "we will not have many positions to offer". Now, if you reference this post from 2020-2021:
I believe waitlist movement may be done. Not sure if anyone else received the application update email today. Here's a brief snippet from it:

"We maintained a waitlist of some of our most talented applicants, like you, in the hopes that there may be an opportunity to invite you to join our matriculating class of 2021. In the past few weeks, however, it has become increasingly clear that we will not have any more positions to offer."
it says "we will not have any more positions to offer".

I would consider not getting an email as a sign that they have culled the waitlist a bit but you are still in consideration come May (for now). I also didn't get the email and will choose to feel hopelessly optimistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Their waitlist info says that their waitlist ranges from 250 in March to 50 in June, with both self-removal and committee decision being the cause for removal from the waitlist. They don’t say how many are pulled from the waitlist, but MSAR gives 15 as the number. *edit* they say that they guess about 12-20 will be pulled from the waitlist.

Last edited:
Anyone know if applicants still on the waitlist have access to the penn financial aid document submissions portal?

Reactions: 1 user
Any sense of when the Penn waitlist has historically moved (May vs June vs July)?

Any sense of when the Penn waitlist has historically moved (May vs June vs July)?
most movement happens in the first few weeks of May (source: heard from someone who got off their WL)

Looking at last years thread, nobody actually reported a WL to A, but it seems like the number of people in the accepted student socials (I.e. Facebook group and group me) increased slightly in mid May ish? Very unreliable lol but I would also expect the WL to move at the beginning of May after the play to enroll deadline

Looking at last years thread, nobody actually reported a WL to A, but it seems like the number of people in the accepted student socials (I.e. Facebook group and group me) increased slightly in mid May ish? Very unreliable lol but I would also expect the WL to move at the beginning of May after the play to enroll deadline
I would assume that people don't want to risk identifying themselves on SDN since there are relatively few (12-20, according to Perelman) people who go W -> A

I would assume that people don't want to risk identifying themselves on SDN since there are relatively few (12-20, according to Perelman) people who go W -> A
Ya true, so basically it’s really hard to tell when the waitlist moved last year bc nobody reported :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a couple ppl have gotten off the WL already (source: group me)

• Hmm
I think a couple ppl have gotten off the WL already (source: group me)
Thank you! Have people specifically said they have gotten off the WL or could they just be late joiners after P/CTE'ing?

• Hmm
just got a missed a call from a 484 area code number, i’m hoping it’s not just a spam call?? just gotta sit tight i guess

Just got the acceptance earlier today! No financial aid left, but I am 99% going anyways

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Just got the acceptance earlier today! No financial aid left, but I am 99% going anyways
Congratulations! That's amazing.
So there's zero financial aid left for anyone on the waitlist? I remember reading on their portal that being on the waitlist doesn't affect your odds of receiving scholarship money/financial aid :(

My sister got off the waitlist yesterday if that helps anyone!

• Love
  • Care
Got off the waitlist about 2 hours ago. What happened today:
  1. Around 11am, I got an email from the admissions office saying a position "may be available" and asked me to call back to discuss.
  2. I immediately called, confirmed that this is an official offer, and was asked whether I will attend if no financial aid is left and was asked to complete the CSS profile. Here I would also like to remind everyone that in case of your being taken off the waitlist, you would need you and your parent's 2020 (not 2021) W2 and 2020 tax return ready to complete your CSS.
I know that Penn's waitlist is insanely hard to get off and this has been a grueling wait for everyone, so I would like to be 100% transparent by revealing that I am ORM male, I went to Penn for undergrad, and am working for Penn Medicine currently. More details can be found in my post over at re-applicants because I was thinking about reapplying this year.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Got off the waitlist about 2 hours ago. What happened today:
  1. Around 11am, I got an email from the admissions office saying a position "may be available" and asked me to call back to discuss.
  2. I immediately called, confirmed that this is an official offer, and was asked a few questions whether I will attend if no more financial aid is available and was asked to complete the CSS profile. Here I would also like to remind everyone that in case of your being taken off the waitlist, you would need you and your parent's 2020 (not 2021) W2 and 2020 tax return ready.
I know that Penn's waitlist is insanely hard to get off and is a grueling process for everyone, so I would like to be 100% transparent that I am ORM male, I went to Penn for undergrad, and am working for Penn Medicine currently. More detail can be found in my post over at re-applicants because I was thinking that I would need to apply again this year.
Wow congrats! I always find it interesting when somebody gets 1 A at a T5 school. Just goes to show how random the process can be

How much waitlist movement typically happens after June? Also how many people are even remaining on the WL at this point?

I just checked my portal today (hadn't checked it in months after confirming my place on the waitlist), and my status had changed from "Waitlist confirmed" to "Withdrew After Interview, Before Decision." I never withdrew... is anyone else's portal showing the same?
Did you CTE elsewhere? That would do it at many schools.

I did not! I did PTE to a school in April, then in early June my school said they didn't care about PTE so I undid the PTE selection and currently have no school chosen.

Then you should definitely reach out to Penn. It's clearly a mistake, but, TBH, at this point in the cycle the chances of a school like Penn calling anyone off the WL have to be just about zero. Even so, they shouldn't be withdrawing you until they release everyone, or until you CTE somewhere.