2021 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone lives in, is from, or lives near Columbia, SC please hmu! I've only been to Myrtle Beach, but I would like to learn more about Columbia.
I was there for 6 months while I was in the army.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations everyone! I matched in Nashville, TN. Anyone else?!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received an e-mail, but when I click on the application portal no information about the host site appears? Is anyone else having this issue?
I am having the same problem. The host site is also not listed in the email nor is the topic. I've emailed the [email protected] address. I'd call the office, but I'm assuming the office personnel have left for the day.

lol disregard that last post. Everything updated. I've matched to work in Frankfort, KY on Tuberculosis Prevent!

Hi! I also matched in Nashville! I live here now (just graduated college) and love the city. Feel free to dm—would be happy to chat!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I got matched to LA for tuberculosis prevention. I'm super excited but I'm currently located in the Bay Area and just signed a lease here, which probably wasn't the wisest decision. Does anyone know if PHAP will be remote this year? If possible, I'd like to stay in the Bay and work remotely for at least a little bit.

Also, for any previous/current PHAPers who worked on TB prevention - what did your work look like, and did you like it?

Just got matched in Anchorage, Alaska working on chronic disease (cancer prevention)!! If anyone has ever lived in Alaska/ also got matched here hmu :)

Hi everyone! I got matched to LA for tuberculosis prevention. I'm super excited but I'm currently located in the Bay Area and just signed a lease here, which probably wasn't the wisest decision. Does anyone know if PHAP will be remote this year? If possible, I'd like to stay in the Bay and work remotely for at least a little bit.

Also, for any previous/current PHAPers who worked on TB prevention - what did your work look like, and did you like it?
Ugh I would have killed for LA. I’m living in SoCal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got matched in Anchorage, Alaska working on chronic disease (cancer prevention)!! If anyone has ever lived in Alaska/ also got matched here hmu :)
I work in anchorage now! I probably know who you are going to be working with!

I wish we could take the location of others or swap. I don’t mind San Antonio but I would love anything in Southern California due to my husband having a job and my kids being around family.

Hey guys! I am a longtime lurker from Atlanta, GA. Based on my portal, I seem to have been matched to Columbia, SC in Emergency/Disaster Preparedness and Response.
If anyone lives in, is from, or lives near Columbia, SC please hmu! I've only been to Myrtle Beach, but I would like to learn more about Columbia.
Same here lol I also got matched there and don’t know anything about it.

I got matched in Guam working on Viral hepatitis and MDROs, which was my second choice!

it looks like I got matched it Columbia, South Carolina (4th choice) working with Maternal and Child Health: Reproductive Health (not one of my choices).
That’s exactly what I was hoping for! But still no status change. I might cry

I got TB Prevention in Richmond, CA, and I really wanted LA 😩

Hi! I also matched in Nashville! I live here now (just graduated college) and love the city. Feel free to dm—would be happy to chat!!
I matched with Nashville also, public health policy and law. Not anywhere near my top choices, but I accepted anyway.

Has anyone else’s status changed from “ready for interview” to “matching” this evening? Unfortunately nothing has changed for me and I’m curious to know if statuses are still changing this late in the day?

Has anyone else’s status changed from “ready for interview” to “matching” this evening? Unfortunately nothing has changed for me and I’m curious to know if statuses are still changing this late in the day?
Mine hasn’t changed either. It really sucks lol but trying to stay hopeful

Reactions: 2 users

I'm also from the Bay, and just matched to LA for TB prevention as well!

I matched with Nashville also, public health policy and law. Not anywhere near my top choices, but I accepted anyway.
That’s awesome! I’m Other infectious diseases- waterborne and foodborne illness. I have no idea where in Nashville though! I’m definitely open to having roommates if anyone is interested!

i got an email!!!!!

wow i really honestly didn’t think this was going to happen bc my interview didn’t go as well as i thought! i’m in Jackson, MS and working on Childhood Development which was my number 4 choice i think? also the location was not on my list haha. i have no idea what to do because after the interview i was not confident so i just moved forward thinking i’ll just be going to grad school for my MPH in the fall!!! help 😪

Would you accept the offer? I also got a match in MS Jackson. I don’t know anyone there

Would you accept the offer? I also got a match in MS Jackson. I don’t know anyone there
I used to live 10 minutes from Jackson, if you have any questions about the area feel free to ask!

Just curious for the people who already got matches, when did you interview? My interview was May 11th and my portal still says ready for interview.

Do you think maybe they’re sending out responses based on which state you’re serving? I see a lot of Georgia assignments.

Do you think maybe they’re sending out responses based on which state you’re serving? I see a lot of Georgia assignments.
I was thinking the same since I didn't see anyone say they were matched with states up north. But who knows at this point lol.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m curious- for those who have been placed, did you get that supposed glitch a few days back???

Reactions: 2 users
I’m curious- for those who have been placed, did you get that supposed glitch a few days back???
Yes, it appears that everyone who reported to see the "confirmation matching" change on their portal starting Thursday morning did receive a match location by Friday afternoon. The following users including myself have reported that we saw the change in our portal Thursday, thereafter received our location and field match:
  • marissanicole
  • futurebright
  • nessmon
  • zcrock
  • Chacko32
  • GoodDays21
  • Imperfect
  • gomezs0400
I don't believe you should fret. It appears that they have not assigned the northern states and other regions yet. I am sure they will continue releasing in batches.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes! I saw the "confirmation matching" on Wednesday and received my match Friday afternoon. I will say that when I first got my email that it had no location/topic information. It took another hour for all the info to show up. I was matched to Kentucky.