2022-2023 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the A call yesterday at 4 pm! Received the acceptance email an hour ago.

Interviewed in early Oct. 3.92cGPA/518. CAN applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
have you been able to find where to accept the offer of acceptance? I don't see an "Alerts" link at the top of my login anymore; I was only able to complete the technical standards.
Never mind they just fixed it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email that “due to a technical error” my application and a few others have not been reviewed yet. I was a September interview. Did anyone else get this !?

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email that “due to a technical error” my application and a few others have not been reviewed yet. I was a September interview. Did anyone else get this !?
Yes I got the same and was also a September interview

Yep, also got the same email, early November interview

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone who interviewed before nov post their "Interview follow-up" email? I interviewed in mid november and not sure if I'll be receiving any news from them today.

Can someone who interviewed before nov post their "Interview follow-up" email? I interviewed in mid november and not sure if I'll be receiving any news from them today.
Got this interview follow- up email ~2 days after my interview mid Sep

"Dear xxx,

We hope that you enjoyed your recent interview and information sessions at Boston University School of Medicine. Please take a moment to take our brief survey about your interview day experience at xxx.

The first round of decisions is expected to go out in late December or early January, and the second in early March. In the meantime, please continue to update your file as appropriate and feel free to contact us with any questions you may have."

Got this interview follow- up email ~2 days after my interview mid Sep

"Dear xxx,

We hope that you enjoyed your recent interview and information sessions at Boston University School of Medicine. Please take a moment to take our brief survey about your interview day experience at xxx.

The first round of decisions is expected to go out in late December or early January, and the second in early March. In the meantime, please continue to update your file as appropriate and feel free to contact us with any questions you may have."
dang okay i guess there are differentt emails :/ mine says:

We hope that you enjoyed your recent interview and information sessions at Boston University School of Medicine. Please take a moment to take our brief survey about your interview day experience at XXXX

We plan to complete our interviews by the end of January, and by mid March we will send emails to all candidates who have completed the application process with us, including those who were deferred in the first round. In that second group of emails we will accept most of the entering class, invite a few individuals to take a spot on our waiting list, and inform others that we will be unable to offer an acceptance this year.

Last edited:
For those who got the A and got the 10k/year scholarship, was this after filling CSS and FAFSA or is it something BU just awarded based on merit?

For those who got the A and got the 10k/year scholarship, was this after filling CSS and FAFSA or is it something BU just awarded based on merit?
It seems like it’s just based on merit bc I haven’t filled out any financial aid forms yet and yet I received it

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the A call yesterday afternoon, interviewed in late September

ok how many ppl get accepted in december vs march? is it like 50-50? i feel like i remember reading that only a small portion is taken in december and majority get stuff in march

Got the A with Dean's scholarship yesterday. Interviewed early September.

Withdrew my app post A yesterday so there should be one more spot available for one of yall. BUSM is such a cool school and hope the spot goes to someone great!

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Withdrew my app post A yesterday so there should be one more spot available for one of yall. BUSM is such a cool school and hope the spot goes to someone great!
Not all heroes wear capes <3

Late post but got the A last Friday with a dean's scholarship! Interviewed late September. No call, just email. Is there a group for accepted students?

Just got A interviewed 10/28. Was apart of the app not reviewed due to technical error group

Last edited:
A as well, ngl just not as hyped probably b/c of that technical difficulties bs

Congrats to those who got their As! For we that have been deffered, is there any data out there on the acceptance rate after having been deferred at BUSM? I know we are still in the running for an A but just wondering about the acceptance rates since they could've rejected us but chose not to.

Currently in BU MAMS first year, radio silence after II (which I sort of expected, they're likely waiting for first semester grades to come out to decide to interview or not). Anyone else from MAMS?

Congrats to those who got their As! For we that have been deffered, is there any data out there on the acceptance rate after having been deferred at BUSM? I know we are still in the running for an A but just wondering about the acceptance rates since they could've rejected us but chose not to.
Current student at BUSM. The majority of decisions typically go out in March, meaning there's A LOT of acceptances, even the vast majority, that are yet to come out. A deferral still means you have high chances. Most of my peers I've spoken to actually heard back in March and very few December.

Hey yall, I was lurking the portal and they now have available to RSVP for their open house for accepted students in case you want to go check it out!! Haven't gotten an email for it yet

I just got an II! I’m so honored and excited :D LM 76.3 complete 9/19

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
do we know if accept pre-ii update letters? thinking about full sending it as it seems its getting late in their cycle

do we know if accept pre-ii update letters? thinking about full sending it as it seems its getting late in their cycle
They do. I sent one a while back but still haven't heard back anything

Reason to consider going to a school besides BUSM:

1. There is a lot of research in Boston, but if you are at BU you can't go do research at Harvard/Tufts/UMass very easily. BU is super expensive so they know students would have a really hard time doing research, or primary care, post medical school so they don't let students get involved in research very much, masters students get more attention because BU churns them out like crazy. There are a literally dozens of schools that have more research than BU, and gobs more than have the same research opportunities.

2. BU puts up a lot of stuff about mission on the Facebook/pamphlets, but really the school is disorganized and even if you do 'community' service type rotations the community physicians also work with Harvard and Tufts students and can look down on BU students and many BU students have a negative experience. Was straight up told when beginning a community rotation that "several students don't come back to do later rotations with us" and then they rolled their eyes . . . it quickly became apparent why! You can do community health stuff for sure, but you get treated like crap and maybe worse than other students.

3. There are major student harassment/abuse issues at BUSM. What they should really advertise is that they do clinical rotations on the 'old school' model of medical education and they gaslight students about the abuse and try to make you feel like it's your fault. The people in the student affairs/medical education office are some of the most pessimistic and unhelpful people you will ever met, and many times their efforts turn into sabotaging students, they gossip about students and can make your life difficult during third and fourth year. BU's public facade of social justice and community involvement isn't true unless that means just harassing students and abusing students by devaluing them.

4. Teaching isn't very good at BUSM, it is more important to read stuff outside of lectures, which are horribly disorganized, to do well on the USMLE. Same thing with clinical teaching, you'll be told constantly how lucky you are and that attendings spoon fed students too much, they don't focus much teaching on the students. You can take extra electives and literally not learn anything and just be ignored, attending at BUSM aren't as interested in teaching than at many other places.

5. BUSM's level 4 biosafety lab is sketchy, they did an "experiment" on COVID and made a virus that is both more transmissible than the original strain, but more deadly and they lied about it to the Boston public health commission. Congress wants to investigate, BU tried to gaslit the whole issue by saying that their work was important research, (it's not, they did it to generate publicity), and that people misunderstand and they lied said it wasn't gain of function research. BUSM gaslights everybody all the time.

6. More people match in Boston who go to BU because students rank some Boston programs higher than others and they might have a spouse in Boston after school, that's the only reason, but probably few BUSM students would want to match at BU for residency.

7. BUSM has problems getting quality rotations for students and they don't put a lot of work into improving or maintaining their own rotations. If you want to do global health they'll look at you like you have a third eye or something, it's a vicious gossip mill and only at BU would you be harassed for going to global health meetings or trying to setup an international elective. It sounds unbelievable until you experience it, BU takes advantage of students who are a captive audience and they don't really live in the world where there are at least minimal rules about abuse and harassment of students. Don't bother trying to have a conversation with faculty there about this in order to improve the school for future students, there are few things that BUSM understands.
Are you a current student at BUSM? As someone who is genuinely excited about potentially going here, I would like to know where you're getting this information from.

I think it's interesting that the only activity you have is a copy/paste comment hating on BUSM so I feel like you should probably explain where it's coming from; for this thread specifically, no one asked for reasons why we should NOT consider attending lol

Reactions: 4 users
Are you a current student at BUSM? As someone who is genuinely excited about potentially going here, I would like to know where you're getting this information from.

I think it's interesting that the only activity you have is a copy/paste comment hating on BUSM so I feel like you should probably explain where it's coming from; for this thread specifically, no one asked for reasons why we should NOT consider attending

Reason to consider going to a school besides BUSM:

1. There is a lot of research in Boston, but if you are at BU you can't go do research at Harvard/Tufts/UMass very easily. BU is super expensive so they know students would have a really hard time doing research, or primary care, post medical school so they don't let students get involved in research very much, masters students get more attention because BU churns them out like crazy. There are a literally dozens of schools that have more research than BU, and gobs more than have the same research opportunities.

2. BU puts up a lot of stuff about mission on the Facebook/pamphlets, but really the school is disorganized and even if you do 'community' service type rotations the community physicians also work with Harvard and Tufts students and can look down on BU students and many BU students have a negative experience. Was straight up told when beginning a community rotation that "several students don't come back to do later rotations with us" and then they rolled their eyes . . . it quickly became apparent why! You can do community health stuff for sure, but you get treated like crap and maybe worse than other students.

3. There are major student harassment/abuse issues at BUSM. What they should really advertise is that they do clinical rotations on the 'old school' model of medical education and they gaslight students about the abuse and try to make you feel like it's your fault. The people in the student affairs/medical education office are some of the most pessimistic and unhelpful people you will ever met, and many times their efforts turn into sabotaging students, they gossip about students and can make your life difficult during third and fourth year. BU's public facade of social justice and community involvement isn't true unless that means just harassing students and abusing students by devaluing them.

4. Teaching isn't very good at BUSM, it is more important to read stuff outside of lectures, which are horribly disorganized, to do well on the USMLE. Same thing with clinical teaching, you'll be told constantly how lucky you are and that attendings spoon fed students too much, they don't focus much teaching on the students. You can take extra electives and literally not learn anything and just be ignored, attending at BUSM aren't as interested in teaching than at many other places.

5. BUSM's level 4 biosafety lab is sketchy, they did an "experiment" on COVID and made a virus that is both more transmissible than the original strain, but more deadly and they lied about it to the Boston public health commission. Congress wants to investigate, BU tried to gaslit the whole issue by saying that their work was important research, (it's not, they did it to generate publicity), and that people misunderstand and they lied said it wasn't gain of function research. BUSM gaslights everybody all the time.

6. More people match in Boston who go to BU because students rank some Boston programs higher than others and they might have a spouse in Boston after school, that's the only reason, but probably few BUSM students would want to match at BU for residency.

7. BUSM has problems getting quality rotations for students and they don't put a lot of work into improving or maintaining their own rotations. If you want to do global health they'll look at you like you have a third eye or something, it's a vicious gossip mill and only at BU would you be harassed for going to global health meetings or trying to setup an international elective. It sounds unbelievable until you experience it, BU takes advantage of students who are a captive audience and they don't really live in the world where there are at least minimal rules about abuse and harassment of students. Don't bother trying to have a conversation with faculty there about this in order to improve the school for future students, there are few things that BUSM understands.
Are there any current students in this thread willing to comment on this?

Reactions: 4 users
"5. BUSM's level 4 biosafety lab is sketchy, they did an "experiment" on COVID and made a virus that is both more transmissible than the original strain, but more deadly and they lied about it to the Boston public health commission. Congress wants to investigate, BU tried to gaslit the whole issue by saying that their work was important research, (it's not, they did it to generate publicity), and that people misunderstand and they lied said it wasn't gain of function research. BUSM gaslights everybody all the time."

Enhancing function is not the same - at all - as "gain of function". They combined genes from different CoV strains, not different species.

Accusing BU of "gain of function research" is (at best) a dubious claim and (at worst) is just regurgitation of a half-baked fox news talking point.

I'll keep an open mind but this is nonsense to me.

• Dislike
BU combined the Omicron and Wuhan variants to create a virus that combines high lethality with high transmissibility more than any virus that is circulating in the world. Gain-Of-Function Experiments At Boston University Create A Deadly New Covid-19 Virus. Who Thought This Was A Good Idea?.

I think it is disgraceful that BU's spokespeople went to work denying this, and I hope that BU is punished by having NIH funds sent elsewhere, other institutions could use those NIH funds better than BU.
What function, specifically, was gained by CoV in this research?

BU combined the Omicron and Wuhan variants to create a virus that combines high lethality with high transmissibility more than any virus that is circulating in the world. Gain-Of-Function Experiments At Boston University Create A Deadly New Covid-19 Virus. Who Thought This Was A Good Idea?.

I think it is disgraceful that BU's spokespeople went to work denying this, and I hope that BU is punished by having NIH funds sent elsewhere, other institutions could use those NIH funds better than BU.

It's not a political issue, under Obama the NIH adopted a moratorium against gain of function research, Why do labs keep making dangerous viruses?.

The only explanation for why this gain of function research was covered-up and then denied at BU is:

1. BU didn't inform proper authorities because they wanted to do high-profile research that would generate headlines (they left out of their grant funding what they were dong *and* while NIH funds were used in general they side-stepped NIH rules by using institutional money to make basically a Frankenstein virus), and then they covered it up and denied it is gain of function because they realized they may have broken federal law.

2. BU had no idea what they were doing, didn't plan the research well, and sort of kind of don't realize what gain of function research is, and so they should have a ban for a number of years regarding doing viral research.

1 or 2 or a combination of them?
What function, specifically, was gained by CoV in this research?

After 6 months of silence and countless R waves, finally got the pre-II R this morning :(

Does anyone know if Boston gives merit scholarships in addition to the 10K they sometimes give upon acceptance?

Does anyone know if Boston gives merit scholarships in addition to the 10K they sometimes give upon acceptance?
The dean of admissions said that the only merit based scholarship is the dean’s scholarship (which I think is the 10k you mentioned) and that the method by which they choose who gets it is some sort of complicated algorithm, and it’s also very limited.

PSA- In my interview follow up email they said that they plan to wrap up interviews by end of January. Just thought I’d mention it here in case people still haven’t heard anything.

• Wow
Would any current students know of anyone who brought a cat or any pet to the student dorms first year? I believe the lease agreement online said that service animals are an exception to the no pets policy but I don't want to cause a fuss or bother my future roommate.