2022-2023 Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we know their stance on if they accept pre-ii updates or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have an idea of when we get our financial info?

Members don't see this ad :)
A via email a few minutes ago!! 1/11 interview

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
1. Our class was very collaborative. The first two years are true Pass/Fail which I think prevented any toxic gunner BS. It was definitely one of the strengths of the program.

2. I lived in Navy housing and was pretty happy with it. There was probably more community if you live in woodlands or student housing, but I never felt isolated. You'll make friends quickly. North Chicago doesn't have much, but many of the surrounding communities have plenty to do. I'm not really a big city guy, so I didn't mind not being downtown for two years. If you are used to living in a big city, you may feel differently.

I had a few classmates who lived in the city all four years and commuted on the train for the first two years. But I wouldn't.

3. It was less of an issue than I thought it was. I lived near one of our bigger rotation sites and was able to do most of my rotations there. I got to know the hospital well and had a short commute.

The months where I had a long commute sucked, but it was less than half of the rotations for me.

I don't think not having a home program hurt me at all. If you are going for a highly competitive surgical subspecialty it will probably make things harder not having a home program.

4. I don't think they played any role at all in me matching here specifically. As far as I know I'm the only CMS person to attend my specific residency.

For the process itself I felt supported. I had a faculty member who used to be a PD help me edit my personal statement and they did practice interviews with me. I didn't have any trouble getting letters, etc. I'm sure you could get that most places though.

Definitely no extra hoops to jump through for the majority of us. I do have one friend who matched a very competitive surgical subspecialty who felt less supported because we did not have a home program. They were able to connect with a prior alumn in that field who helped them navigate it far more than the school was.

5. Absolutely. It's not perfect, but it got me to where I wanted to be.
this is really helpful - thank you so much :)

Reactions: 1 user
II this morning! OOS, LM 73, ORM, Good luck to everyone else still waiting! I was complete 8/28 and haven't submitted any updates.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hi all! I got waitlisted on 1/31, does anyone know if there is a lot of movement off the list? I am hugely invested in attending this school.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! I got waitlisted on 1/31, does anyone know if there is a lot of movement off the list? I am hugely invested in attending this school.
I was waitlisted in October and then got an A off the waitlist the following month in November!

I was waitlisted in October and then got an A off the waitlist the following month in November!
Congrats! Didn't know movement was occurring already, good to know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Compared to other schools, there is definitely a sizable amount of movement here from what I've seen. Most of it happens after the April 30th PTE deadline like at most other places, but certainly some before that as well.

Hello!!!

Thank you so much for offering to answer questions :)

1) How was your general experience of the school in terms of workload, student-body culture (i.e. collaborative/non-collaborative), and support you received from the school throughout your years there? If you had any friends who went to other med schools, how do you think your experience generally compared to theirs?
2) How was it living in North Chicago for the first two years? I'm worried it'll feel super isolating even with other students on campus + I won't have a life outside of school :/
3) How did you feel about not having a home hospital for third year?
4) Congrats on matching your #1! I wanted to ask what the matching process was like, and what role you think CMS played in matching your top choice (i.e. did they provide a lot of support, or do you think you had to jump through lots of hoops to get to where you are now)?
5) If you had to choose, would you go to CMS again?

Thank you so much again!! I really appreciate it! If some of the questions are similar, feel free to combine your responses to them!!
I'm an M1, so I can't provide as much insight, but I'll do my best.

1. From what I can tell so far, everyone is passionate about helping patients and their peers. There's an overwhelming amount of support here, and there are always people you can talk to, joke around with, or study with. Of course, there are individuals who prefer to be alone or work in small groups, but it isn't difficult to fit in here. Most of my friends went to our state med school (I won't mention which state, but we have trees and renowned pizza), and they mentioned that their class was competitive and almost antagonistic at times. Not just that, but the staff/faculty are there to support you too. They can be a bit firm, but they're always fair in their decisions.

2. North Chicago is pretty much just "the suburbs" of Chicago. We aren't a bustling city by any means, but we're a 20-30 minute drive from pretty much anything you can think of. Many nature preserves, the Botanical Gardens, snow tubing, rock climbing, ice skating, KBBQ, beaches, etc. are all about 20-45 minutes away. Downtown Chicago is about 45-60 minutes by car or metro, and it's honestly one of the most beautiful and culturally diverse cities I've ever been to. In my honest opinion, it's better than NYC. I consider Boston a "small" or "junior" Chicago. It's pretty quaint up here but if you choose to live off-campus, I would recommend going a bit further south into Northbrook, Arlington Heights, Fort Sheridan, etc. (if you don't mind commuting).

3. bump
4. bump
5. bump

Hey, y'all! Could anyone shed light on CMS's interview process and how it works? I feel like I'm going in blind so anything helps really 😅

I've heard it's MMI and was also wondering if the questions are going to be more personal or scenario based?

Thanks everyone!!

Hey, y'all! Could anyone shed light on CMS's interview process and how it works? I feel like I'm going in blind so anything helps really 😅

I've heard it's MMI and was also wondering if the questions are going to be more personal or scenario based?

Thanks everyone!!
Honestly, the entire day couldn't have been less stressful—they did an amazing job at making everyone feel comfortable. Do a few MMI prep questions to get in the right mindset but there isn't really much you can do to prepare. There is a mix of personal and scenario questions like most other MMI's and they're very casual, so just answer as genuinely as possible and you will be fine, I promise!

• Love
Honestly, the entire day couldn't have been less stressful—they did an amazing job at making everyone feel comfortable. Do a few MMI prep questions to get in the right mindset but there isn't really much you can do to prepare. There is a mix of personal and scenario questions like most other MMI's and they're very casual, so just answer as genuinely as possible and you will be fine, I promise!
Thank you so much!

Please stop sending me emails about your BMS program. Even though your school is "unable to admit me to the allopathic medicine program at this time", I will be starting medical school elsewhere in Fall 2023. I say with the utmost respect, remove me from your mailing list.

- I responded to their email with this.

Reactions: 5 users
Guys nothing about this email is rude, unless they didn't bother sending you a rejection email before it, in which case this is a rude way of rejecting an applicant. They're just trying to give applicants who didn't get IIs this year another pathway to an II with a way to strengthen their profile if they so desire. There are plenty of people who will get rejected this cycle, and may choose to add a BMS to their profile. If you don't need or want to do their/any BMS program or were accepted elsewhere, that's great, but it's definitely a bit much to be calling them a-holes just for offering it or taking offense at this email. I know it sucks to be rejected, I was too, but let's maybe take it down a notch.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Guys nothing about this email is rude, unless they didn't bother sending you a rejection email before it, in which case this is a rude way of rejecting an applicant. They're just trying to give applicants who didn't get IIs this year another pathway to an II with a way to strengthen their profile if they so desire. There are plenty of people who will get rejected this cycle, and may choose to add a BMS to their profile. If you don't need or want to do their/any BMS program or were accepted elsewhere, that's great, but it's definitely a bit much to be calling them a-holes just for offering it or taking offense at this email. I know it sucks to be rejected, I was too, but let's maybe take it down a notch.

Nah, these programs are just money milkers. They do not care about strengthening our applications. They care about the tuition $$$. It's just disingenuous marketing

Reactions: 7 users
Nah, these programs are just money milkers. They do not care about strengthening our applications. They care about the tuition $$$. It's just disingenuous marketing
Really? I wasn't aware of this. Biomedical science degrees in the U.K. and most of Europe are just like any other degree, people actually choose those programs for their interest and others choose it as a stepping stone to a medical program, but it's a well-respected program. I didn't realize they are exclusively marketed to pre-medical students here, does the degree here hold any professional value if someone were to do the program and not use it to get into medical school, and instead chose to use it to further their career in biomedical or pharmaceutical sciences? Is the tuition more expensive than their other programs? Also, I'm a little doubtful of their $10,000 scholarship offer lol, or can they just afford to throw that at people because not many people apply to this program?

Really? I wasn't aware of this. Biomedical science degrees in the U.K. and most of Europe are just like any other degree, people actually choose those programs for their interest and others choose it as a stepping stone to a medical program, but it's a well-respected program. I didn't realize they are exclusively marketed to pre-medical students here, does the degree here hold any professional value if someone were to do the program and not use it to get into medical school, and instead chose to use it to further their career in biomedical or pharmaceutical sciences? Is the tuition more expensive than their other programs? Also, I'm a little doubtful of their $10,000 scholarship offer lol, or can they just afford to throw that at people because not many people apply to this program?

I don't know anything about this specific program, but there are a ton of med schools (i.e. Icahn, Northwestern, Rutgers, CWRU, etc.) that will specifically email spam MD applicants with promotions for their master's programs. Most of the time with phrases that make it seem like they personally know the person they are emailing. To use the example of @beginningswitch2 above "we believe your credentials are a strong match for our Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (BMS) program". Did a human actually look at their application and decide they would be a good fit for the program? Absolutely not, it's just marketing spam sent to thousands of people in mailing lists that they bought from companies like AAMC (which claim they don't sell mailing lists but this is obviously not true given that you will receive emails from many schools you haven't even applied to or interacted with).

This is on top of the fact that master's programs in the U.S. rarely give aid and are incredibly expensive. To your question about value outside of medicine. Higher ed degrees are useful in many industries including medical school admissions but they must be balanced with the cost and time it takes to receive these degrees.

Edit: cost of Chicago Med MS in biomedical sciences is $50,000 per year.

Reactions: 8 users
FYI, Zach said they are planning on having their admitted student day on April 21st and 22nd, and that more information will be sent soon!

I don't know anything about this specific program, but there are a ton of med schools (i.e. Icahn, Northwestern, Rutgers, CWRU, etc.) that will specifically email spam MD applicants with promotions for their master's programs. Most of the time with phrases that make it seem like they personally know the person they are emailing. To use the example of @beginningswitch2 above "we believe your credentials are a strong match for our Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (BMS) program". Did a human actually look at their application and decide they would be a good fit for the program? Absolutely not, it's just marketing spam sent to thousands of people in mailing lists that they bought from companies like AAMC (which claim they don't sell mailing lists but this is obviously not true given that you will receive emails from many schools you haven't even applied to or interacted with).

This is on top of the fact that master's programs in the U.S. rarely give aid and are incredibly expensive. To your question about value outside of medicine. Higher ed degrees are useful in many industries including medical school admissions but they must be balanced with the cost and time it takes to receive these degrees.

Edit: cost of Chicago Med MS in biomedical sciences is $50,000 per year.

I don't know why I felt the need to clarify this but someone copy and pasted my response on reddit. Just fyi that's not me and super strange.

Capture.PNG

• Hmm
Just got an II! Went to schedule interview and it gave me next Tuesday 2/14 as an option, but says my status for that day is “waitlist” - does that mean there’s no spots open? Should I pick another day?

Just got an II! Went to schedule interview and it gave me next Tuesday 2/14 as an option, but says my status for that day is “waitlist” - does that mean there’s no spots open? Should I pick another day?
Yes, try another day!

I just sent them an email saying that i had gotten into another school but would still choose RFU if given the opportunity, so kind of like an LOI. a doctor in my practice encouraged me to send it and it worked!
hi, congrats on the II! what email did you send your update/interest to?

A yesterday; interviewed 1/31

I just randomly logged onto the portal and saw an II, but never received an email from them. Did this happen to anyone else?

II this morning! OOS, complete 8/1. Will be declining however so I hope one of you gets it!

Reactions: 3 users
Just received an II. OOS, complete in early November. I'll be declining but good luck everyone!

How long does it usually take people to hear back after their interview?

For those that received an A, is the declaration of intent binding?