2022-2023 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's that about?
Unless the email has changed from previous years (maybe one of you who got it this year can confirm), this email is something along the lines of “you’re still under consideration, hold tight and we’ll get back to you when we’ve decided”. You can see previous years’ threads for mentions of similar emails too.

I don’t think receiving the email or not correlates to your chances of getting in… it’s just a factor of having applied early enough while still being in the running. For example I took my MCAT super late and therefore never got the email; some people who got the email have eventually received offers too.

Hope that helps! Hang in there, friends! Waiting is hard (after that year 1 is even harder—but worth it 🥲)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi can I check if anyone has received their scholarship or know when the successful applicants will be notified?

Hi! All those who have already gone through their AD, do you have any advice?

I would say make sure you know your application well, what you wrote in your essay, what you did for your experiences etc. Go over common medical school interview questions and think of stories/experiences that would reinforce your answer. Have a few good questions prepared to ask during the interview. I also think it's important to just be friendly, personable, and confident, I believe a big part of the in-person interview is to see whether the applicant is someone they want to spend the next few years engaging with. Good luck with your AD!

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone who has gone to any of the in-person ADs, what did the applicants wear? Thanks!

Hi there, I just went for the AD earlier this year and I found the interviewers generally very friendly and willing to listen. The admissions team said that our interviewers were matched to our profile, so prepare to be asked about your research or other healthcare experiences. It was more of a conversation and get to know you session as they want to make sure you are sure of your decision to study Medicine.

We actually dressed pretty formally.
And yes, most of us dressed quite formally (with blazers), or at least in a long-sleeved shirt.

Last edited:
Anyone who had gone through the later ADs (like in Feb) got the "considered by management email"?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got the 'considered by management' email (whether this cycle or previously), how long did it take before you got your final results?

There are only 36 members in the telegram group for MD class of 2027. So, I reckon your chances are still pretty good. Don't fret too much!

Reactions: 1 user
Unless the email has changed from previous years (maybe one of you who got it this year can confirm), this email is something along the lines of “you’re still under consideration, hold tight and we’ll get back to you when we’ve decided”. You can see previous years’ threads for mentions of similar emails too.

I don’t think receiving the email or not correlates to your chances of getting in… it’s just a factor of having applied early enough while still being in the running. For example I took my MCAT super late and therefore never got the email; some people who got the email have eventually received offers too.

Hope that helps! Hang in there, friends! Waiting is hard (after that year 1 is even harder—but worth it 🥲)
may I know how long it usually takes for them to get back to you after the "considered by management" email?

may I know how long it usually takes for them to get back to you after the "considered by management" email?
There's no standard AFAIK, cos in principle it's just saying that they are going to get back to you. Does that make sense? I don't think anyone but the admissions office can answer the question of "usually how long", though I guess you all could run a poll to collect data for future years!

Does anybody know how many applicants there were at the last AD?

There are only 36 members in the telegram group for MD class of 2027. So, I reckon your chances are still pretty good. Don't fret too much!
Any further additions recently?

Related note, anyone else received any offers lately since the last batch in Feb?

Any further additions recently?

Related note, anyone else received any offers lately since the last batch in Feb?
OMG just got accepted, 11/4 Durham Applicant Day (also got a considered by management email in mid March)! It's been a LONG 5 month wait, but anything is possible! I believe in all of you, the wait will be worth it! Good luck to the rest of you that are still waiting, and hope to see y'all at Duke-NUS!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
For those who are admitted to the MD-PhD program, did you receive your offer letter for MD and PhD separately or together?

I was from March 20 AD, haven't heard back. I've raised certain concerns about my AD interview around two days after the AD, Duke-NUS office replied a week after to say they will look into it but they haven't gotten back about it either

I was from March 20 AD, haven't heard back. I've raised certain concerns about my AD interview around two days after the AD, Duke-NUS office replied a week after to say they will look into it but they haven't gotten back about it either
May I ask what concern is that? I hope that AD went well for you! If you don't feel comfortable discussing here publicly, you can send me a dm as I'm also from that AD as well.

I just got an offer!!!!
(20th March AD)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got the "considered by management" email.. Anybody else?

Is there a difference between "considered by management" and waitlist ?

Waitlist email:

The Admissions Committee of Duke-NUS Medical School has carefully reviewed your application and placed your name on the waiting list for the entering 2023 class. This is a testament to your outstanding accomplishments and exemplary attributes, academic and personal.

We have received applications from many highly qualified applicants for a limited number of spots, and you are among a select cohort that the Admissions Committee has seriously considered for admission. As you can understand, we are unable to invite every candidate who would enrich our program to join us. Should a spot open in our class, we will expeditiously and enthusiastically contact you.

We are grateful that you have considered pursuing your medical education at Duke-NUS. If your circumstances change and you no longer wish to be considered for admission in July 2023, please let our admissions team know by emailing: [email protected]

Regardless of the outcome, please accept my personal congratulations for having aimed high and achieved outstanding outcomes.

Waitlist email:

The Admissions Committee of Duke-NUS Medical School has carefully reviewed your application and placed your name on the waiting list for the entering 2023 class. This is a testament to your outstanding accomplishments and exemplary attributes, academic and personal.

We have received applications from many highly qualified applicants for a limited number of spots, and you are among a select cohort that the Admissions Committee has seriously considered for admission. As you can understand, we are unable to invite every candidate who would enrich our program to join us. Should a spot open in our class, we will expeditiously and enthusiastically contact you.

We are grateful that you have considered pursuing your medical education at Duke-NUS. If your circumstances change and you no longer wish to be considered for admission in July 2023, please let our admissions team know by emailing: [email protected]

Regardless of the outcome, please accept my personal congratulations for having aimed high and achieved outstanding outcomes.
im pretty sure the management email was a soft waitlist, so same thing

May I ask what concern is that? I hope that AD went well for you! If you don't feel comfortable discussing here publicly, you can send me a dm as I'm also from that AD as well.
The interviews were full of very shallow questions and felt like only a session for a small talk. In other words, I felt that I was not given a fair chance at the interview which is meant to assess my attributes and suitability. The profs have likely formed a prior impression of me before the interview, very likely based on the character reference ratings. Hard to describe what I meant, but imagine yourself in a situation where you are supposed to be going through an interview, but you feel that it is unlikely that anything that went on in the conversations is going to be used for assessing your suitability. Won't you smell a rat and suspect something? That was basically my experience in the interview. I could tell that the way the interview ended up being "designed" for me reflected the fact that the profs don't feel a need to assess my suitability further since they have already made a certain impression. After Duke-NUS admissions office investigated into it, they got back to me to say that they felt it was fair after all and it carried a tone implying that it was fair that I was not given the chance that I expected from the interview. The outcome was as expected -- an immediate rejection.

• Care
does anyone know if the school has an appeal application system for those who are placed on the waiting list or rejected?

The interviews were full of very shallow questions and felt like only a session for a small talk. In other words, I felt that I was not given a fair chance at the interview which is meant to assess my attributes and suitability. The profs have likely formed a prior impression of me before the interview, very likely based on the character reference ratings. Hard to describe what I meant, but imagine yourself in a situation where you are supposed to be going through an interview, but you feel that it is unlikely that anything that went on in the conversations is going to be used for assessing your suitability. Won't you smell a rat and suspect something? That was basically my experience in the interview. I could tell that the way the interview ended up being "designed" for me reflected the fact that the profs don't feel a need to assess my suitability further since they have already made a certain impression. After Duke-NUS admissions office investigated into it, they got back to me to say that they felt it was fair after all and it carried a tone implying that it was fair that I was not given the chance that I expected from the interview. The outcome was as expected -- an immediate rejection.
Oh, damn, I am so sorry to hear that! Actually, my impression of the interviews is a bit different. I thought the interviewers were genuinely interested in getting to know me better as a person. They asked about my motivation, my family, my interests.. It felt like a nice, friendly conversation, not very formal, but still completely on the topic. So I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with this process..

Waitlist email:

considered by management

Thank you for your interest in applying to the MD programme at Duke-NUS. We are happy to inform you that the Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed your application and noted your outstanding accomplishments and exemplary attributes. As all applications will need to be approved by our school management committees, we would like to provide you with the update that your application is currently being considered by our management.

You will be informed of the outcome of your application by end of May 2023.

We are grateful that you have considered pursuing your medical education with us. If your circumstances change and you no longer wish to be considered for admission in July 2023, please let our admissions team know by emailing: [email protected]

We are very much looking forward to having you in our program.

Can you please share or PM your stat?
520 MCAT, 3.88 GPA, international
Idk how to PM on here but feel free to PM me for more information if you know how to and I will try to reply.

Anyone who got their acceptance offer after mid-Feb heard back about scholarships yet?

520 MCAT, 3.88 GPA, international
Idk how to PM on here but feel free to PM me for more information if you know how to and I will try to reply.
thank you for your reply, I think you need to change the setting to allow PM?

I wonder how to join the MD 2027 class telegram group?

Thanks! Since there is no student dormitory in Duke-NUS, it seems we need to find a suitable place on our own.
NUS did give a reference for off campus accommodation. Yoha: Pearls can be a suitable place with reasonable pricing and great geographical convenience. if not choosing from student hostiles or NUS Kent ridge residence, we may need to rent outside (which may be better).
We can discuss more in the telegram group and my telegram name is the same.
For Duke-NUS international students,

There is a website,
provides housing information.

The search location keywords are
Kim Tian Road
Kim Tian Place
Jalan Bukit Merah
Spottiswoode Park Road