2022-2023 Mayo Clinic - Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent a letter of interest a few weeks ago. Just got the email too. Does that mean I should send something else? Like an update?

Anyone else get an interest gauging phone call?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get an interest gauging phone call?
i did, it nearly gave me a heart attack lol. trying to tell myself it means nothing but it would be interesting to see if there’s a common factor between those who got one and those who don’t. i know my friend who didn’t submit any type of letter didn’t receive one but that’s about all i have to go on

i did, it nearly gave me a heart attack lol. trying to tell myself it means nothing but it would be interesting to see if there’s a common factor between those who got one and those who don’t. i know my friend who didn’t submit any type of letter didn’t receive one but that’s about all i have to go on

I hope it’s a good sign haha but trying not to get my hopes up

Did you send in a letter of interest or intent?
I would presume that if you sent a letter of interest or intent that the school knows your interest level. Likely for students who they are interested in but have not submitted correspondence.

I'll add in my experience. I recently got a call where they told me the committee recently met and is "really excited about me." Then they asked me if I had any questions and gauged my interest at the end. I'm not sure if this is similar to other peoples' phone call experiences? To me, it felt like the phone call version of these "likely" emails we keep hearing about (although, I never received one of these emails myself).

For context, I had already submitted a LOI back in December.

+1 to this. You almost perfectly described my same exact experience a few nights ago. They called and said the committee was excited about my application and that formal decisions would be going out in mid Feb. I didn’t want to get my hopes up in case it isn’t anything but I definitely was hoping it was a phone version of a “likely letter”. I sent a letter of intent also back in December. Hoping that this is a good sign!
+2! Also sent a LOI a couple weeks ago. I wonder how common these calls are, but hoping it’s a good sign too.

I'll add in my experience. I recently got a call where they told me the committee recently met and is "really excited about me." Then they asked me if I had any questions and gauged my interest at the end. I'm not sure if this is similar to other peoples' phone call experiences? To me, it felt like the phone call version of these "likely" emails we keep hearing about (although, I never received one of these emails myself).

For context, I had already submitted a LOI back in December.

+1 to this. You almost perfectly described my same exact experience a few nights ago. They called and said the committee was excited about my application and that formal decisions would be going out in mid Feb. I didn’t want to get my hopes up in case it isn’t anything but I definitely was hoping it was a phone version of a “likely letter”. I sent a letter of intent also back in December. Hoping that this is a good sign!

+2! Also sent a LOI a couple weeks ago. I wonder how common these calls are, but hoping it’s a good sign too.
Were y'all 'interest' or 'intent'? Both acronyms being the same is confusing.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who submitted a letter of intent in Dec with no call, that makes me want to throw up

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
As someone who submitted a letter of intent in Dec with no call, that makes me want to throw up
Don’t read too much into it! In previous years people who didn’t receive any form of communication have gotten in and some people with communication have gotten waitlisted!

I understand the interest-gauging phone calls or emails for those who didn't send a letter of interest or intent. But why would the school call someone who already sent a letter of intent? Isn't it clear they're top choice?

Reactions: 4 users
Don’t read too much into it! In previous years people who didn’t receive any form of communication have gotten in and some people with communication have gotten waitlisted!
We should check correlation in 2 weeks. I’m guessing loi + no call = waitlist or R and call = waitlist or A.

Also in sad camp of loi(ntent) and no call here. Will just tell myself went straight to A with full scholarship pile and they didn’t feel the need to call.

Reactions: 1 users
I sent a letter of interest earlier on, but didn't hear anything back yet either. Would it be worth it to send in a letter of intent now that I had more time to check out other schools? or would it be better to send it after I get WLed, for a chance to get off the WL?

I understand the interest-gauging phone calls or emails for those who didn't send a letter of interest or intent. But why would the school call someone who already sent a letter of intent? Isn't it clear they're top choice?
I also wonder what %-age of LoIntent's get reneged on ? Must be higher than I would think if they call even after one.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
We should check correlation in 2 weeks. I’m guessing loi + no call = waitlist or R and call = waitlist or A.

Also in sad camp of loi(ntent) and no call here. Will just tell myself went straight to A with full scholarship pile and they didn’t feel the need to call.
I don't think your guess is true based on prior years

Any idea of what it does mean based on past years? WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN?!?! Mayo playing with our heads rn...
From prior years, it seems that all the extra communication has no discernable correlation to A/WL. So don't let them mess with your head!

• Wow
+3 I had this about a week and a half ago. I was unsure how to respond LOL... anticipation is killing me

received a "interest" call as well and just wanted to mention there was no caller ID. not sure if they would have left a message if I didn't pick up.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
From prior years, it seems that all the extra communication has no discernable correlation to A/WL. So don't let them mess with your head!
I hate to say as someone who didn’t get it but having gone carefully and neurotically through a couple years of SDN history, it looks like there are a few As without this communication (/its equivalent in various years; looks like it was at least once an email saying you’re highly ranked), and a LOT of WLs who did get it, but overall I think if you didn’t get one it is a sign to anticipate this may not be your school

I hate to say as someone who didn’t get it but having gone carefully and neurotically through a couple years of SDN history, it looks like there are a few As without this communication (/its equivalent in various years; looks like it was at least once an email saying you’re highly ranked), and a LOT of WLs who did get it, but overall I think if you didn’t get one it is a sign to anticipate this may not be your school
There are several cases of A's without a highly ranked email and/or other post-II communication. There are also cases of WL's following a highly ranked email. I truly don't think one can predict the outcomes but to each their own!

This may be neurotic lol but I am wondering if anyone knows around what time they started making calls in previous years? I am in a different time zone and I work tomorrow so just trying to gauge when a possible call could come in.
It looks like around noon Arizona time; however, there doesn't seem to be a general trend on 'when' the calls go out because it looks to be from the interviewers. Past threads show calls bleeding over into Tues/Wed 2/2 this fact.

Just got the A!! No email/interest call ahead of time. Good luck everyone!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Just got the call! No email + call beforehand. Sent LOI

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Is it y’all’s interviewers who are calling you or someone else?

What about anyone who went for the Florida track? Anyone been called?

I was accepted to four-year Arizona about an hour ago. Sent a letter of intent. Did not receive a highly ranked email or interest gauging call. Unbelievably excited!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Did those that got accepted send a letter of intent or letter of interest?

looks like calls are done for today with how much sdn activity has slowed down. hopefully the day of love brings better news
l highly doubt that. The calls seem to be based on interviewer availability with anecdotal evidence showing calls late into this evening as well as over the next couple of days.

Got the A call earlier from my interviewer a little after 9 am AZ time! I interviewed in October, sent a letter of intent in December, and got what I describe as a "likely phone call" back in January. I am SO excited!

For emails, I haven't gotten one yet. However, my interviewer said he would let the admissions coordinator, Taylor Roe, know that he has reached me about my acceptance. Then, Taylor will send out the emails shortly. He said to contact her if I don't get an email in 1-2 days.

Congratulations to everyone else!!!!!!

It's only 12:30pm in Arizona! It's not over until it's over!!!!!!
yes!! some of the interviewers might give calls around their lunch breaks :) also n=1 but i have a friend who got a hefty scholarship at mayo last year and he got a call on the friday of this week, so we have lots & lots of hope!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
yes!! some of the interviewers might give calls around their lunch breaks :) also n=1 but i have a friend who got a hefty scholarship at mayo last year and he got a call on the friday of this week, so we have lots & lots of hope!
Thank you so much for this sliver of hope , will hold off on deleting my realtor.com Scottsdale rental search until the weekend ! :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users