2022-2023 Midwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternate from 3/8

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
just wanna say that I interviewed in late January last year and was WL'd that same week - ended up getting accepted off the WL in June. there tends to be a LOT of WL movement!

Reactions: 1 users
I just withdrew my matriculation to CCOM due to another school higher on my list. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear for an acceptance. I hope one of you gets my spot.

Is there a current Canadian CCOM student I can talk to please? Or if someone can connect me with one? Please message me, thank you.

Graduated from CCOM 2-3 years ago. Some of the posts on here are quite a bit hysterical and in my opinion somewhat off base. Some more info on me is that I matched into a competitive specialty in a large academic center in a big city (not trying to dox myself so I won’t be too specific).

Rotations: In my opinion, the rotations this school offers are the best of all the DO schools (we essentially share 95% of the same sites as Rosalind franklin MD school). You have a choice of pretty much any community hospital in the Chicagoland area, obviously, it’s a ranking system but most people get a majority of places they want. Recommend Cook County, Masonic, Lutheran, and/or Christ if you want a more academic feel in a community hospital. The only downside I will say is that if you are applying to a competitive residency you will have to go a bit more out of your way to create rotations at academic sites in the specialty you want. Can always do VSAS end of 3rd year to set up academic hospital rotations for 4th year which is what I did. This will be difficult at every DO school though and is just part of the price of going to a DO school.

Research: For a DO school there are a lot of opportunities for research at the labs and plenty of conferences to present abstracts and posters. They even offer a research fellowship M1 summer break that pays u like 5k to do research, that’s what I did, and it worked great, had 3+ pubs applying to residency. Some of the hospitals you rotate at have conferences, including research opportunities if you find the right people. A big part of research is finding a PI that publishes. Do not do research for a PI who hasn’t published in a while, do research for someone who produces!!! Do your own research on these people.

Professors: They are all nice and cool with an open-door policy if you need help. Idk I didn’t struggle academically so I never interacted with them much. Usually just skipped lectures, did my own studying, passed the tests, and went on with my life.

Area/Campus: You pay big money and you can tell cause the campus is very clean and nice and the Downers Grove area is super safe and nice too. Can live in Chicago and commute from the city if that’s your vibe, although be prepared to shell out massive loans to do that. During 3rd and 4th year most people live in Chicago because rotations are closer that way. I lived with my Dad who is in Chicago during my first two years to make the loan burden less of a concern.

Loans: Yeah, it’s really expensive, way overpriced for I guess the cost of the rotations? Everyone knows this and I won’t disagree. Admin people can be useless and difficult at times.

Grading: Still uses the old school A-F system and bombards you with tests and quizzes nonstop during the first two years. Although technically only giving you 4 weeks for dedicated, no one should be beginning to study for boards during those 4 weeks. I essentially started Anki start of the M2 year and was pretty much studying for boards all year, ignoring school material as best I could cause residencies don’t care about class grades as long as you don’t fail. This method has probably changed a ton since step 1 became pass/fail which imo makes DO less enticing. Just buy 3rd part resources like everyone else and do Anki during 2nd year. Make sure to take the Step exams!

OMM: Hate this ****. School thankfully doesn’t beat you over the head with it as much as the other DO schools do apparently. Still, a pain in the ass but you get to give good massages that your significant other will appreciate.

Final comments: Med school is what you make of it. I went in wanting a competitive residency that is not DO-friendly so I knew I had to do research and kill the Step exams. I did that and matched exactly where I wanted so I had no regrets.
Is there a difference between CCOM and AZCOM? Im not sure why the average entering GPA/MCAT is slightly higher at CCOM compared to AZCOM. Residency matching seems to be a bit better too.

I did too back in feb, I sent them an update and said I was interested but I haven’t heard anything back

I guess no R is a good thing then? Idk. I don't mind the school. Tuition is kinda high though so IDK how they go with financial aid

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a II today so they are def still sending them out!

Could someone send me the link to the accepted students groupme please?

A!!! Can someone DM me the accepted students' groupme please :)

Just got an II today for next week! Here or AZCOM are my top choices so this just made my week!

I don't know the percentage but all but 3 students from my friend group were accepted from the wait-list (and they are all really strong students!)

Are any current students able to give insight regarding what the school provides students in terms of necessities (eg scrubs, stethescope, etc) versus what we should have ready when we start in the fall?

Are any current students able to give insight regarding what the school provides students in terms of necessities (eg scrubs, stethescope, etc) versus what we should have ready when we start in the fall?
Students get a stethoscope (Cardio IV) as a gift from the alumni association during orientation along with a bag with some other supplies (tape measure, pen light, pocket Snellen chart etc.). Other things you will have to buy, but you can wait a bit.

For scrubs, just double check what color your class is before buying any (it alternates between navy/hunter green, so it should be hunter green for class of 27 if tradition continues). For anatomy lab, you'll want different scrubs, scrubs that you can toss at the end of anatomy. The anatomy department usually has used scrubs you can snag for free at the beginning of the year, which is nice. They are cleaned and washed! And they also let you borrow crocs/clogs for lab. They'll provide apron, safety glasses, masks etc for gross lab.

You'll also unfortunately have to buy an oto/ophthalmoscope and BP cuff/sphygmomanometer. You can get the Welch Allen combo through the bookstore for a discounted (but still hefty) price, or just buy an affordable set on Amazon or somewhere else. You'll have an oto/ophthalmoscope *almost* everywhere you go so I recommend buying a cheap set to save some cash unless you really want the nicer set. I do bring my scopes to a free clinic in the city which doesn't always have working equipment, so it's nice to have for that.

Also, sometimes the 4th years will sell theirs for a discount in the Facebook group, so keep an eye out for that. The school does supply all other tools needed for OSCEs and SIM labs, you just show up with your stethoscope.

Hi, can someone dm me a link to the accepted students group me? 🙏🏼 thanks

Could someone send me the accepted students group chat? Thanks in advance!

I am a current student, feel free to PM me with any questions.

are they still sending out II? Haven’t been rejected yet but I feel like it’s getting too late for an II..

Does anybody know how likely it is to get a tuition reduction from CCOM if I have another A from a much cheaper school? we're talking like a 20k difference per year lol. Hopefully current students or anybody with experience can speak to this

Does anybody know how likely it is to get a tuition reduction from CCOM if I have another A from a much cheaper school? we're talking like a 20k difference per year lol. Hopefully current students or anybody with experience can speak to this

unfortunately not likely - you can always try but I haven't heard of anyone successfully negotiating down :/

Just got the A today! GPA 3.8, MCAT 514, interviewed 3/16, and placed on the alternate list on 3/23

Could someone send me a link to the accepted students group? Thank you!

Can someone please send me a link to the accepted students group as well? Thanks

Can someone also message me the GroupMe link

Are any of CCOM's rotations out of state or done in conjunction with the Arizona campus?

Are any of CCOM's rotations out of state or done in conjunction with the Arizona campus?
No CCOM only has Chicagoland ( some in Indiana/ Rockford) but Arizona has Chicago, California, phoenix, a lot of more areas. So if you go to Arizona you can come back for Chicago rotations, but the same does not apply as CCOM student

Hello. Can someone DM me the accepted student's groupme link? Thank you.

called them a few days ago they said they’re done but they might add another interview date :/

so might add another interview date means they may send more? Or another date for offered people to choose from?

Hey folks,

If you're accepted and looking for housing, there are options being posted from current students (myself included) moving out of their spots. This means the landlords/leasing offices are used to renting to students and usually prefer them. Check it out:

My personal recommendation is to try to go with a private landlord and NOT a leasing agent or one of the bigger complexes in the Lombard area. I've heard too many issues with how they care for the buildings, even the ones that look "nicer."

Hi! could someone send me the link to the accepted students groupme? Thank you!!