2022-2023 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know it doesn't really matter right now this is just for my own sake, but has anyone who's interviewed yet able to see TCOM in their School Rank Preference on TMDSAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the lowest MCAT this school has interviewed/accepted? 500 here but Tx resident. Really hoping but doubtful.
I'm not sure if they publish that data, but their median MCAT is around a 507-508 so with a 500 you'd probably have to compensate with a high GPA. Also are you an IS resident? Being OOS may make it harder.

What's the lowest MCAT this school has interviewed/accepted? 500 here but Tx resident. Really hoping but doubtful.
They stated in a Q&A for the 2021 EY it was a 495. But that is definitely an outlier. Definitely need some superhero ECs and other stats to make up in that scenario.

Reactions: 1 user
In-state. 500, 3.0 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA with post-bacc 55 science credits at 4.0. I'm familiar with this school. it's truly amazing, praying real hard.
Best of luck! You might be just what they are looking for. They did mention that there is preference to those who apply to DO programs. So if you are strictly applying to TMDSAS schools, but not AACOMAS, they may put you on the back burner.

Best of luck! You might be just what they are looking for. They did mention that there is preference to those who apply to DO programs. So if you are strictly applying to TMDSAS schools, but not AACOMAS, they may put you on the back burner.
How could they possibly know that? From my understanding AACOMAS and TMDSAS do not communicate with each other as they are separate application services.

How could they possibly know that? From my understanding AACOMAS and TMDSAS do not communicate with each other as they are separate application services.
My understanding was that there was a checkbox on the secondary application to TCOM. I could be wrong as I have no idea how to access the secondary after it was submitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I stand corrected, it was not on the secondary app. I am not sure why that was mentioned in the Q&A if they don’t have access to such information.

My understanding was that there was a checkbox on the secondary application to TCOM. I could be wrong as I have no idea how to access the secondary after it was submitted.
No worries. If you select Yes to applying out of TMDSAS, then you can specify Yes or No for AMCAS and AACOMAS separately. The question asks about intent so I'm not sure much weight is placed into it. It might be more of a question for TMDSAS a service to understand how many applicants apply only to them.

No worries. If you select Yes to applying out of TMDSAS, then you can specify Yes or No for AMCAS and AACOMAS separately. The question asks about intent so I'm not sure much weight is placed into it. It might be more of a question for TMDSAS a service to understand how many applicants apply only to them.
Okay, so this makes sense from what was conveyed to me. Schools can see whether or not you selected that you will apply to AACOMAS, and for TCOM preference will be given to applicants that checked that box.

Okay, so this makes sense from what was conveyed to me. Schools can see whether or not you selected that you will apply to AACOMAS, and for TCOM preference will be given to applicants that checked that box.
Interesting. I wonder how they view someone who chose to apply to the 2 TMDSAS DOs only vs. AMCAS + AACOMAS vs. TMDSAS + AACOMAS lol.

Interesting. I wonder how they view someone who chose to apply to the 2 TMDSAS DOs only vs. AMCAS + AACOMAS vs. TMDSAS + AACOMAS lol.
From what was said, it seems they view only applying to the two TMDSAS DOs as a lack of interest in Osteopathic Medicine. They said there is a lot they take into consideration though, but that is one factor.

That's how I understood it from the information session last week as well. Applying TMDSAS + AACOMAS shows the most interest while TMDSAS + AMCAS shows the least. Obtaining a DO letter is further evidence of valuing the osteopathic instruction.

But anyone can check that they plan to apply to AACOMAS but not follow through with it from my understanding. Like I put I plan to apply to AACOMAS (which I am) but I still haven't submitted y AACOMAS yet. I could see someone getting burned out and deciding to forgo it altogether tho. I think @bluewolffe assessment's seems right, but who knows. I imagine having a DO letter has significantly more weight than the intent to apply to AACOMAS

Yep, it's all kind of silly because TMDSAS doesn't hold you to it. They still mentioned it a couple times as a way to assess applicants.

Yep, it's all kind of silly because TMDSAS doesn't hold you to it. They still mentioned it a couple times as a way to assess applicants.
Yeah that is goofy lol. I guess with that said every applicant should always check yes even if they have no intentions of applying AACOMAS

In-state. 500, 3.0 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA with post-bacc 55 science credits at 4.0. I'm familiar with this school. it's truly amazing, praying real hard.
We're in a similar boat here! Our stats are pretty comparable overall. I'm a re-applicant, though. Hoping we get some TCOM love!

Are they sending invites via email or their portal?
In the information session they said sometimes there’s a delay in invite and email. I know a lot of people in the forum said they saw it on the portal before they received an email. You can check the portal, but if they do offer you an invitation you will get the email usually the same day (just may show up on the portal earlier that same day).

So I received an interview, but I don't have a DO letter. Will that hurt my acceptance chances?

So I received an interview, but I don't have a DO letter. Will that hurt my acceptance chances?

I didn't have one. Also didn't shadow a DO. Hastily put together some essays. Only applied because it was part of TMDSAS. Got accepted in a prior cycle. Toured and really liked the school. The staff was great and very supportive. Kept me well-informed once accepted. Chose somewhere else though.

Reactions: 1 users

Don't know how true that is. TCOM was the only DO school I applied to as it was part of TMDSAS. I didn't apply to AACOMAS at all. Heck, as stated above, I didn't even have a DO letter. Didn't even shadow a DO.

Interviewed in late Sept of an earlier cycle. Got admitted so I didn't feel like I was put "on the back burner."

Don't know how true that is. TCOM was the only DO school I applied to as it was part of TMDSAS. I didn't apply to AACOMAS at all. Heck, as stated above, I didn't even have a DO letter. Didn't even shadow a DO.

Interviewed in late Sept of an earlier cycle. Got admitted so I didn't feel like I was put "on the back burner."
Although it probably doesn't affect stronger candidates too much, the presenter in the info session last week specifically said that those who don't apply to AACOMAS are viewed as less interested in osteopathic medicine.

My phasing probably wasn’t the best way to convey the information in last weeks session, but as someone else said the speaker did state that it shows less interest in osteopathic medicine. As someone who is in that same boat, that being only applied to TMDSAS, I’m crossing my fingers for an II soon.

Although it probably doesn't affect stronger candidates too much, the presenter in the info session last week specifically said that those who don't apply to AACOMAS are viewed as less interested in osteopathic medicine.

Makes sense. Though one could argue that a strong candidate with little/no DO interest is even less likely to matriculate. Either way, I hope everyone who applied gets some decent consideration and not be discarded quickly.

Hoping that I wasn't too late in the game. Secondary submitted 8/25, and my status was updated to "in review" as of 8/29/2022.

Can anybody who interviewed share pieces of wisdom/advice on how to prepare for the interview. Not asking for specifics, just anything that you feel comfortable sharing.

I've done MMIs before, and my practice strategy kinda gets redundant.. To be honest, I don't feel like I'm doing much to prepare, and my interviews went smooth I'd say. If there's anything that helps for TCOM in particular, I'd tremendously appreciate it.

Can anybody who interviewed share pieces of wisdom/advice on how to prepare for the interview. Not asking for specifics, just anything that you feel comfortable sharing.

I've done MMIs before, and my practice strategy kinda gets redundant.. To be honest, I don't feel like I'm doing much to prepare, and my interviews went smooth I'd say. If there's anything that helps for TCOM in particular, I'd tremendously appreciate it.
It isn't like a typical MMI. Just answer from your heart. I'd say their questions truly allow you to demonstrate your personality/values.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm new to applying to DO. For UNT, is their app available on AACOMAS or I can only apply through TMDSAS?

Only TMDSAS. Same with SHSU
Shoot, I was gonna apply on TMDSAS, but I didn't realize the primary app had an additional essay they require asking about your personal characteristics. Due to an unexpected additional primary app essay, I pushed back my TMDSAS plans because I had to apply to write a ton of secondaries for 50+ AMCAS schools. If I do submit an app to TMDSAS, do you have tips on writing the personal characteristics essay in a fast manner?

Shoot, I was gonna apply on TMDSAS, but I didn't realize the primary app had an additional essay they require asking about your personal characteristics. Due to an unexpected additional primary app essay, I pushed back my TMDSAS plans because I had to apply to write a ton of secondaries for 50+ AMCAS schools. If I do submit an app to TMDSAS, do you have tips on writing the personal characteristics essay in a fast manner?
You wrote 50+ secondaries for AMCAS schools. The TMDSAS personal characteristics is essentially asking how would you contribute to the medical school class. Do any of your essays have overlap with that already?

Pick attributes of yourself that apply to the medical field, would make you a better physician, and contribute to the educational experiences of others. It is relatively short 2000 words I believe, correct me if I’m wrong. If you want to apply TMDSAS this cycle you need that app in ASAP. Processing can take a month and secondaries may not come in immediately for all schools. UNT secondary does not require an invite, but other schools do.

Pick attributes of yourself that apply to the medical field, would make you a better physician, and contribute to the educational experiences of others. It is relatively short 2000 words I believe, correct me if I’m wrong. If you want to apply TMDSAS this cycle you need that app in ASAP. Processing can take a month and secondaries may not come in immediately for all schools. UNT secondary does not require an invite, but other schools do.
Do I still stand a chance at applying to UNT TCOM applying this late to TMDSAS? My LizzyM and WARS are 70 and 71 respectively. I landed in the 1st quartile on Casper if in case they ask for Casper scores.

You wrote 50+ secondaries for AMCAS schools. The TMDSAS personal characteristics is essentially asking how would you contribute to the medical school class. Do any of your essays have overlap with that already?
I have essays that do talk about how I can advance different schools missions through my research background across 4 Basic Science/Translational labs and volunteering experience in Peru. But I'm not sure if it specifically addresses what they ask about my personality and how I am as a person. That's different from the personal statement and secondary essays I've written.

Also, out of the 50+ schools I applied for, I only finished 28 schools so far, I'm still halfway behind on my AMCAS schools (though several of them are schools i'm not really into. I'm not a TX resident, but I really would love to be in the TX area for med school as I prefer the area much more than the northern US)

I have essays that do talk about how I can advance different schools missions through my research background across 4 Basic Science/Translational labs and volunteering experience in Peru. But I'm not sure if it specifically addresses what they ask about my personality and how I am as a person. That's different from the personal statement and secondary essays I've written.

Also, out of the 50+ schools I applied for, I only finished 28 schools so far, I'm still halfway behind on my AMCAS schools (though several of them are schools i'm not really into. I'm not a TX resident, but I really would love to be in the TX area for med school as I prefer the area much more than the northern US)
Texas schools are pretty competitive for out of state applicants, as only a maximum of 10% of the class can be OOS. Do you have ties to the area?

Plus, get off SDN and get those secondaries done haha!!

None whatsoever.......

Well actually, I do have a cousin in the Dallas area. I also have distant family in the Austin, TX area. I also have several friends in the Dallas area. That's all I have, no compellingly strong ties to Texas. I just really love the area.
Texas schools are pretty competitive for out of state applicants, as only a maximum of 10% of the class can be OOS. Do you have ties to the area?

None whatsoever.......

Well actually, I do have a cousin in the Dallas area. I also have distant family in the Austin, TX area. I also have several friends in the Dallas area. That's all I have, no compellingly strong ties to Texas. I just really love the area.
If you want to submit, and think you have good ties to the program(s) you choose, submit. But do so soon if you do. You’re competing for only 23 or so spots at TCOM as an out of state applicant.

I’m not trying to be discouraging, so I apologize if it comes off that way.

I seen their Fall 2019 admissions figures. Idk if it's gotten lower due to the post-pandemic applicant pool surge, but I see their Fall 2019 OOS acceptance rate was 1.8%, which though still super low is better compared to other TMDSAS schools for OOS applicants and is similar to the acceptance rates of other schools I applied for (GW, Temple, Einstein, etc). and idk if my LizzyM of 70 and WARS of 71 gives me a competitive edge in this DO school?

Also, I have a manuscript that's expected to be submitted to a journal soon that perhaps might get published if it helps?..........

Yeah, TMDSAS's reality and app success prospects is pretty bleak for OOS applicants.

You can mention those things, but make sure you can talk about how it can benefit your peers. That's the most important thing. I believe the volunteering would be more conducive towards that.