2022-2023 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my primary app for TMDSAS back in June and was verified on July 13th. I did not send a secondary to TCOM and now after learning more about the school, I really want to attend. I have a DO letter and DO shadowing. Should I submit my secondary? I feel like it is too late in the cycle, especially since the interviews began in the summer. Is there any point in submitting a secondary now?

Members don't see this ad.

Send it. I sent my app two months after getting the secondary last year and I still got an II.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was invited to an interview today. Does anyone know if a mediocre DO letter would be beneficial? I know a DO I have been shadowing but I'm very passive when shadowing so I don't think the doctor would have anything meaningful to say in the letter lol

I was invited to an interview today. Does anyone know if a mediocre DO letter would be beneficial? I know a DO I have been shadowing but I'm very passive when shadowing so I don't think the doctor would have anything meaningful to say in the letter lol
I wouldn't worry about it if you've gotten an II

Reactions: 1 user
I would send it in if you have it tbh. Just ask the physician if they’d be willing to write you a letter and provide your CV. It may not be the best, but it’ll show them that you’ve spent time with a DO and that has value alone. They intentionally provide the opportunity to submit an additional LOR so I wouldn’t waste it

I would send it in if you have it tbh. Just ask the physician if they’d be willing to write you a letter and provide your CV. It may not be the best, but it’ll show them that you’ve spent time with a DO and that has value alone. They intentionally provide the opportunity to submit an additional LOR so I wouldn’t waste it
I was complete on 7/6, does it mean it’s over for me? I have a 513 MCAT and 3.8 GPA, with an otherwise strong application

I was complete on 7/6, does it mean it’s over for me? I have a 513 MCAT and 3.8 GPA, with an otherwise strong application
I highly doubt it's over for you. The review process is so random. TCOM sends out IIs on multiple dates each month so there's a ton of opportunity to still interview.

Does this school like older applicants (28 here) like most osteopathic schools? Or since this school is kind of high-end, they prefer the college-aged applicants?

Does this school like older applicants (28 here) like most osteopathic schools? Or since this school is kind of high-end, they prefer the college-aged applicants?
When I interviewed last year, I'm fairly certain they mentioned they had a student in their 50s who was a former researcher, so they definitely do not discriminate on age.

And as a side note, non-trads are actually viewed quite favorable by most schools. Assuming you have competitive grades and decent ECs, being 28 will not hold you back from any schools, and if anything may be a benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for further proof, I'm 28 and got an II from this school! 🤗

Stats if you don't mind. Praying my 500 gets an II. Tx resident also.
506, 3.4x cGPA, 3.5x sGPA - so not high stats whatsoever, but I have a massive upward trend (maintained 3.8x last 7 semesters) attempting to raise my GPA from the grave of early college years lol

the effort and capacity for improvement are some of things they look for, especially from non-trad!

506, 3.4x cGPA, 3.5x sGPA - so not high stats whatsoever, but I have a massive upward trend (maintained 3.8x last 7 semesters) attempting to raise my GPA from the grave of early college years lol

the effort and capacity for improvement are some of things they look for, especially from non-trad!
What do you think makes non-traditional applicants successful in med school admissions that admissions offices like in nontraditional applicants, in Texas and across US med school admissions? I'm a non-traditional/pseudo-traditional applicant too.

What do you think makes non-traditional applicants successful in med school admissions that admissions offices like in nontraditional applicants, in Texas and across US med school admissions? I'm a non-traditional/pseudo-traditional applicant too.
I don't have insider knowledge, but from what I've gathered about admissions and non-trad applicants is they like to see the life experience, maturity, growth outside of school and how those could translate into a capable physician. Whereas many traditional applicants go from high school to college to medical school with "doctor" in their mind the whole time, non-trads for the most part had previous careers or paths they were on when something changed and made them pursue medicine (which is a big commitment).

As a non-trad who has sought the advice of many adcoms - from what I've gathered, I think they appreciate that they don't have to worry about us. I believe adcom often views us as self-sufficient, professional, and committed. We also know when to seek help. Speaking from my own perspective, I think generally non-trads have developed stronger professional skills and more life/work experience that just comes with time. That perspective and experience translate to adcoms when interviewing (not to mention non-trads may have more experience interviewing than traditional applicants). Feel free to disagree!

Anybody who interviewed on 9/6 has TCOM on the rank list on TMDSAS?

I can’t remember when in August I did my interview (I want to say august 4 or 10?) but TCOM just showed up on my rank list.

I can’t remember when in August I did my interview (I want to say august 4 or 10?) but TCOM just showed up on my rank list.
Oh wow! Thank you so much. I was kinda worried cause they said on the portal "normally a week after interview day".

Just received an acceptance email yesterday :). Beyond excited. I applied early decision and interviewed 8/12. I wish everyone here the best of luck and look forward to meeting you Fall 2023!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Just received an acceptance email yesterday :). Beyond excited. I applied early decision and interviewed 8/12. I wish everyone here the best of luck and look forward to meeting you Fall 2023!
Congrats! This is a great school, and I absolutely love the location. It's in my favorite city! Really hoping I hear back on October 15th

Any new interviews or portal changes?
I interviewed on 8/9 and now have a new item in my to-do list called prerequisite course, stating I have a prerequisite that is incomplete (I’m currently taking Physics II). Anyone else in the same boat?

I interviewed on 8/9 and now have a new item in my to-do list called prerequisite course, stating I have a prerequisite that is incomplete (I’m currently taking Physics II). Anyone else in the same boat?

I do too.

Has this happened to anybody else who’s gotten accepted in the past? Can anyone chime in?

If there's a way on the portal to comment on this, tell them you are currently taking the class and it will be complete before matriculation.
Since TMDSAS does not have you send your transcripts yet and the "planned coursework" you might have entered on your primary application could always change, they may want to know that you will meet all the prereqs.

If the portal doesn't have a mechanism to give this information, a short email to the admissions email will work.

Has this happened to anybody else who’s gotten accepted in the past? Can anyone chime in?

Has what happened? Walking into an interview with toilet paper stuck to my shoes? No. Not at all. Not that I can recall now that I've suppressed that memory.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Has what happened? Walking into an interview with toilet paper stuck to my shoes? No. Not at all. Not that I can recall now that I've suppressed that memory.
What? I was responding to someone who posted earlier directly above me about getting a new task regarding their prereqs.

My friend last year had this same thing happen right before she prematched, and I was wanting to know if this was a pure coincidence or not

What? I was responding to someone who posted earlier directly above me about getting a new task regarding their prereqs.

My friend last year had this same thing happen right before she prematched, and I was wanting to know if this was a pure coincidence or not
👀 That’s honestly why I posted about the portal change. Neuroticism at it’s finest!

Do I still stand a chance at applying to UNT TCOM applying this late to TMDSAS? My LizzyM and WARS are 70 and 71 respectively. I landed in the 1st quartile on Casper if in case they ask for Casper scores.
I submitted my primary app for TMDSAS back in June and was verified on July 13th. I did not send a secondary to TCOM and now after learning more about the school, I really want to attend. I have a DO letter and DO shadowing. Should I submit my secondary? I feel like it is too late in the cycle, especially since the interviews began in the summer. Is there any point in submitting a secondary now?
Fwiw, I submitted my secondary in late-October last year, without a DO letter, and just started our neuro block yesterday :)

Congrats! I'm c/o 2026 and we've got a few paramedics in our class (inc. me) so you definitely won't be alone! Feel free to DM if you have any Qs!

That’s awesome!!! The thread has been dead lately.

I guess that’s not so good news for those of us complete in late August?
II received today, and I was complete 06/17. Don't give up hope!!! :)

Reactions: 7 users
Does TCOM send out rejection emails?
Not typically. Most Texas schools will not send rejections until after match day, but if you haven’t interviewed by mid February (when rank lists are due) it is safe to say you have been rejected

Post-bacc here, but what exactly is "matching" and "rank list" I see most undergrads do? I applied through TMDSAS but I don't see those terms.
I just recently learned about this at one of my interview days, so please anyone feel free to correct or add info lol. Texas schools have a ranking system they use that allows you to rank the schools you've interviewed at (basically) best to worst. If you pre-match at one of the schools (the school offers an you an acceptance before "Match Day"), whatever schools you interviewed at that are ranked lower than your pre-matched school will be removed and you won't be in the running for those schools anymore. Any schools above the pre-matched one remain in case you get matched (March 1) at a school you desire more. So if you interview at 7 Texas schools, but pre-match to your #3, your list will then only show schools 1, 2, and 3.

It seems like a good system so schools aren't offering seats to students that definitely won't be going there and let others have a shot at it.

I just recently learned about this at one of my interview days, so please anyone feel free to correct or add info lol. Texas schools have a ranking system they use that allows you to rank the schools you've interviewed at (basically) best to worst. If you pre-match at one of the schools (the school offers an you an acceptance before "Match Day"), whatever schools you interviewed at that are ranked lower than your pre-matched school will be removed and you won't be in the running for those schools anymore. Any schools above the pre-matched one remain in case you get matched (March 1) at a school you desire more. So if you interview at 7 Texas schools, but pre-match to your #3, your list will then only show schools 1, 2, and 3.

It seems like a good system so schools aren't offering seats to students that definitely won't be going there and let others have a shot at it.
Your explanation is pretty good, @birds_up_buttercup except that when you do your rank preference list, you need to rank all the schools where you interviewed. You can mix in schools where you prematched with those you didn't. If you have at least 1 pre-match, you will be going to school next year for sure. There is no risk of "losing" that by ranking a school above your pre-match school.

I also want to start preparing all of you for the fact that only 1 in 7 people who interview will get a pre-match, and 6 out of 7 do not. As much as we like to talk about it, most Texas matriculants will match to a school in March without having had any prematch offers at all.

Reactions: 4 users
Post-bacc here, but what exactly is "matching" and "rank list" I see most undergrads do? I applied through TMDSAS but I don't see those terms.
@whall, if you are a Texas resident you will be in the Match system.
Please go read about it, I just posted a link here: #101

1665842138834.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Had an early interview here; hoping if pre-matches don't come today, we start to see some on Monday!!

Reactions: 2 users