2022-2023 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else confused by the MSTP preliminary application appearing to have no word or character limits? Not sure what to make of that

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please help me understand their last secondary question? Would it be okay if I answere this question as how I identified and addressed a health disparity? But then, I feel that my response would kind of overlap with question #2

Can someone please help me understand their last secondary question? Would it be okay if I answere this question as how I identified and addressed a health disparity? But then, I feel that my response would kind of overlap with question #2
+1. I agree they're quite similar. I have my secondary sit for two weeks now because of that last question. Don't understand why they replaced their prompt with a similar one T_T

Reactions: 1 user
Just made it through the mission statement screen as an OOR applicant (I lived in Wyoming for a few years). Any thoughts on reusing material from the mission statement essays on the secondary? There is a question on the mission statement which says "Please share your long-term experiences working with underserved communities and describe how these align with your career goals" and so I would probably say something similar for question #2 but unsure how everything is looked at.

Is there a big filtering prior to receiving secondary?
I’m not sure what it’s like for MSTP, for for the MD program they do. It is:

Minimum MCAT: greater than/equal to 498 for WWAMI, 500 for OOR

Minimum undergrad GPA: greater than/equal to 3.0 for WWAMI, 3.25 OOR

Minimum BCPM GPA: greater than/equal to 3.0 for WWAMI, 3.0 OOR

For #2, are y'all specifically talking about patients and yourself? I have a lot of non-clinical volunteering experiences which contributed to my understanding of societal inequities but not sure if that is straying too far from the prompt

Received my rejection on 8/4, my primary was verified on 6/27. I'm out of region (still very close to Washington, though) and I have very strong ties to a WWAMI state (born and raised, graduated from high school, parents and all immediate family members still live there). I will probably end up living in the WWAMI region throughout my career. I was hoping to at least receive a secondary. Oh well!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Received my rejection on 8/4, my primary was verified on 6/27. I'm out of region (still very close to Washington, though) and I have very strong ties to a WWAMI state (born and raised, graduated from high school, parents and all immediate family members still live there). I will probably end up living in the WWAMI region throughout my career. I was hoping to at least receive a secondary. Oh well!
Almost the exact same thing with me. hurts just a bit

• Care
Does anyone know how UW selects which OOR applicants will be sent and invited to complete the mission statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS with strong ties to Washington. I got an email 7/25 saying they did a preliminary review of my materials and were waiting for CASPer scores. My CASPer scores were released 8/2 but never heard any confirmation they recieved them. Still have not received secondary or any further communication. Was this normal for others?

OOS with strong ties to Washington. I got an email 7/25 saying they did a preliminary review of my materials and were waiting for CASPer scores. My CASPer scores were released 8/2 but never heard any confirmation they recieved them. Still have not received secondary or any further communication. Was this normal for others?
Doubt you would receive an email for receipt of CASPer score. I would wait a few more weeks. They might reach out or you could email if no secondary by then.

for those who are like me and had something pre-written and didn't see the harm in submitting since it's free... you will automatically get rejected with no ties! Kind of sad because I loved both WA and the school. Oh well.
Does anyone know if it is an automatic reject if you select other and explain?

Does anyone know if it is an automatic reject if you select other and explain?
I got my mission statement question today and was in the same boat as you. I'm leaning toward the one year living there since I attended UW for 4 years and the only reason I left was because of financial disabilities. What would you be putting down for other?

I got my mission statement question today and was in the same boat as you. I'm leaning toward the one year living there since I attended UW for 4 years and the only reason I left was because of financial disabilities. What would you be putting down for other?
My entire extended family lives there and always have. All of my aunts, uncles, cousins, my nana and papa, etc. My mom grew up there and I spend every summer there. But I dont technically fit the "ties" even though ive almost got as strong of ties as it gets haha. I just dont want to be immediately written off :/

I think putting living there for one year is totally justified for you!

How are Washington applicants deciding between Seattle and Spokane?

How are Washington applicants deciding between Seattle and Spokane?
I personally just wanna stay close to home so that's why I chose Seattle. But I've heard really good things about the Spokane campus from students, like I've heard that they're all very close there since it's a smaller community and it sounds like it's more collaborative also

I personally just wanna stay close to home so that's why I chose Seattle. But I've heard really good things about the Spokane campus from students, like I've heard that they're all very close there since it's a smaller community and it sounds like it's more collaborative also

+ 1 I also just chose based on proximity to home!

OOS MSTP pre-II R, secondary complete 8/8.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Pre-secondary R! Good luck everyone else!

Just made it through the mission statement screen as an OOR applicant (I lived in Wyoming for a few years). Any thoughts on reusing material from the mission statement essays on the secondary? There is a question on the mission statement which says "Please share your long-term experiences working with underserved communities and describe how these align with your career goals" and so I would probably say something similar for question #2 but unsure how everything is looked at.
Congratulations! I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a question about the mission statement screen since you've successfully completed it. Is there only one essay (100 words explaining your ties) or is there a second prompt to discuss the other mission fit components (service record/disadvantaged background)? I'm only seeing the 100 word prompt about ties and wondering if there's an opportunity to discuss the rest once ties have been established.

How long did it take you to get a secondary after completing the mission statement?

Congratulations! I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a question about the mission statement screen since you've successfully completed it. Is there only one essay (100 words explaining your ties) or is there a second prompt to discuss the other mission fit components (service record/disadvantaged background)? I'm only seeing the 100 word prompt about ties and wondering if there's an opportunity to discuss the rest once ties have been established.
Thanks! There are actually three prompts. One for ties, one for service, and one for disadvantaged. At least for one of them, you have to click yes to a question and then the text box will show up.

Thanks! There are actually three prompts. One for ties, one for service, and one for disadvantaged. At least for one of them, you have to click yes to a question and then the text box will show up.
To expand on this: Once you "submit" your first 100 word ties essay, you'll be prompted with the next 2. Despite only needing to satisfy one from what I understand, you cannot submit your entire app unless you fill something out for extensive underserved community experience, feel free to put NA here I suppose if you'll be filling out the disadvantaged background essay but I took it as an opportunity to expand on both.

After your 100 word ties essay, you are presented with these:
  1. Please share your long-term experiences working with underserved communities and describe how these align with your career goals. (250 words)
  2. Do you identify as disadvantaged and/or as a part of a group that may be inadequately represented in medicine (e.g. first generation, rural, LGBTQIA+, race/ethnicity, etc.)? yes/no If yes, please explain. You are welcome to use your hardship description from your AMCAS application. (250 words)
Until you submit both pages, the app does not autosave so I'd suggest writing these offline if you won't be doing them all in one go. Hope this helps!

I'm an OOS MSTP applicant and on August 15 I received the following email:

"This notice is intended to bring you up to date on the status of your application to the University of Washington Medical Scientist Training Program. I apologize that we have not made a final decision on inviting you to interview. You are currently highly placed in the "hold" list category. We receive a large number of applications and many are re-reviewed at future committee meetings. Your application has been included in this category.

Please advise us of any updates concerning significant activities undertaken since you applied. In the meantime, if you have any questions about our application process, please do not hesitate to contact the MSTP office.

Thank you for your patience and interest in our MSTP."

So while I was filling out the secondary app I accidentally made a goof and forgot to finish off one of my sentences mid-paragraph. I know I should've done a better job of rereading my work to scan for such errors :( and it happened because in the moment I was feeling numb to writing the same sentences about myself over and over again. I also highly suspect that this issue contributed to my application getting placed on hold. If I send updates to the MSTP office should I bring up this mistake in some way and repent for it?

I'm an OOS MSTP applicant and on August 15 I received the following email:

"This notice is intended to bring you up to date on the status of your application to the University of Washington Medical Scientist Training Program. I apologize that we have not made a final decision on inviting you to interview. You are currently highly placed in the "hold" list category. We receive a large number of applications and many are re-reviewed at future committee meetings. Your application has been included in this category.

Please advise us of any updates concerning significant activities undertaken since you applied. In the meantime, if you have any questions about our application process, please do not hesitate to contact the MSTP office.

Thank you for your patience and interest in our MSTP."

So while I was filling out the secondary app I accidentally made a goof and forgot to finish off one of my sentences mid-paragraph. I know I should've done a better job of rereading my work to scan for such errors :( and it happened because in the moment I was feeling numb to writing the same sentences about myself over and over again. I also highly suspect that this issue contributed to my application getting placed on hold. If I send updates to the MSTP office should I bring up this mistake in some way and repent for it?
It is completely possible they missed the error. In my honest opinions, I doubt it is worthwhile to bring attention to a mistake. I am just an applicant though. So please take my advice with a grain of salt.

I submitted the mission statement 13 days ago, and they said in an email I would hear back in 1-2 weeks regarding whether or not they want me to complete the supplemental application. If I don't hear back tomorrow, should I send an email? Or is this a soft r?

I submitted the mission statement 13 days ago, and they said in an email I would hear back in 1-2 weeks regarding whether or not they want me to complete the supplemental application. If I don't hear back tomorrow, should I send an email? Or is this a soft r?
I don't think its a soft R. I bet they are just behind. Earlier in the cycle they were getting back to people really quick after submitting the mission statement. I'm guessing they are just having trouble keeping up with all the apps right now.

I submitted on 8/13 and just received my OOR secondary today!

Also, going through their webinars on YouTube, they emphasized they will never ghost an applicant. So you can rest assured you will hear back from them, they are likely still reviewing it.

I submitted on 8/13 and just received my OOR secondary today!

Also, going through their webinars on YouTube, they emphasized they will never ghost an applicant. So you can rest assured you will hear back from them, they are likely still reviewing it.
Excellent info. Thank you!

Did you ever get an answer on this? I’m wondering the same thing

Did you ever get an answer on this? I’m wondering the same thing
Yeah I emailed admissions and they said "The reviewers have the opportunity to read the mission statement, but it's not in the same section as the rest of the AMCAS or secondary, so it may be worth repeating some of the important points (but maybe not the exact same words)."

Okay so I submitted my mission statement on August 14, and got an email saying review would take 1-2 weeks. It's approaching 4 weeks now and I'm wondering if I should email? I know they may be delayed but don't want to have gotten lost? Does anyone have advice 🥲

welp they just responded today saying my ties are not significant enough :( This is my first r and I'm so upset because it means I won't be able to live near my fam :/

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
welp they just responded today saying my ties are not significant enough :( This is my first r and I'm so upset because it means I won't be able to live near my fam :/
Headed to check my email now. I doubt they have gotten back to me since I submitted like 8/22 I believe, but I might as well see.

I'm sorry. Hoping you land somewhere that appreciates you! It's coming for all of us!

• Care
Just received my first rejection of the app cycle. UW said that as an OOR applicant, after reviewing my missions statement and application, I didn't meet the criteria for further consideration. I was born and raised in WA, graduated from high school there, mother and family still love there, URM, with a service-oriented app. Not sure what else I could have done to meet their criteria lol. Kind of a relief, as I don't know how I would have stomached paying that OOS tuition when I was once a resident for decades.

Best of luck to all applicants! You all got this!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Just received my first rejection of the app cycle. UW said that as an OOR applicant, after reviewing my missions statement and application, I didn't meet the criteria for further consideration. I was born and raised in WA, graduated from high school there, mother and family still love there, URM, with a service-oriented app. Not sure what else I could have done to meet their criteria lol. Kind of a relief, as I don't know how I would have stomached paying that OOS tuition when I was once a resident for decades.

Best of luck to all applicants! You all got this!
so sorry to hear this :( it is so frustrating. Hopefully this means we are 1 step closer to the right school for us!!

• Care
Last year, II were sent out in mid-September. The year before that, early-October. I think we will see something soon!!