2022-2023 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received

Statement of Purpose:
The Mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM) is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, research and scholarly activities, and service, including osteopathic clinical service, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals, with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, nation and across the globe.
In the space below (not to exceed 500 words), please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM fulfill this mission.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received

Statement of Purpose:
The Mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM) is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, research and scholarly activities, and service, including osteopathic clinical service, and graduate medical education. Using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals, with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, nation and across the globe.
In the space below (not to exceed 500 words), please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCUCOM fulfill this mission.
stats? IS/OOS?

I haven't gotten a secondary yet

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a 502 - so maybe I got screened out :( but they have a really low MCAT average in comparison to most DO schools, so I really didn't think of all schools that would happen here... hmm. There's still time, if they're manually screening then it probably just takes a lot more time to decide who gets secondaries.

I received a secondary on 6/17. I submitted my secondary yesterday. Im OOS.

Last edited:
I've got a 502 - so maybe I got screened out :( but they have a really low MCAT average in comparison to most DO schools, so I really didn't think of all schools that would happen here... hmm. There's still time, if they're manually screening then it probably just takes a lot more time to decide who gets secondaries.
Don't lose hope, the cycle LITERALLY just started!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Do they screen just based on stats? Or do they go through your whole primary first?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you all receive a confirmation of any sort after emailing back the secondary? I sent it back last night

No no. They probably are going through apps right now depending on when people submitted. I got a 502 too and received a secondary yesterday (a couple days after others) so you got it too.

Guess my mcat got screened since I haven't heard back
From last year's thread it seems that even though their average MCAT is 500/501, last year they screened out pretty much everyone under a 504 with just very few exceptions. Additionally, allegedly adcoms said they only send secondaries to about 20% of applicants and they ghost you if you to R.

According to an email someone got from their office, they immediately screen for secondaries once you submit. If you've been waiting day(s), that means you're not getting a secondary. I guess we could email to confirm, but it definitely seems like no news is bad news.

I'm pretty disappointed, and so annoyed this MCAT cutoff isn't public on their site. Makes no sense. I live in the gulf south and have genuine interest in rural medicine primary care.

From last year's thread it seems that even though their average MCAT is 500/501, last year they screened out pretty much everyone under a 504 with just very few exceptions. Additionally, allegedly adcoms said they only send secondaries to about 20% of applicants and they ghost you if you to R.

According to an email someone got from their office, they immediately screen for secondaries once you submit. If you've been waiting day(s), that means you're not getting a secondary. I guess we could email to confirm, but it definitely seems like no news is bad news.

I'm pretty disappointed, and so annoyed this MCAT cutoff isn't public on their site. Makes no sense. I live in the gulf south and have genuine interest in rural medicine primary care.
Ugh same here! I don't understand how their average is lower than the cutoff...what am I missing 🤔

Ugh same here! I don't understand how their average is lower than the cutoff...what am I missing 🤔
Like I mentioned previously. I am below the cutoff and OOS. You should email them by the end of the week if you dont receive anything. You never know.

Like I mentioned previously. I am below the cutoff and OOS. You should email them by the end of the week if you dont receive anything. You never know.
I think I'll do that, thank you! Because I fit the mission very well but I don't think it's fair to not even be looked at just because of my MCAT

Any one OOS received secondary yet?

• Dislike
I still haven't received confirmation of the secondary I sent. What email did you send it to? I may reach out to them on Monday if I dont hear anything.
I sent it to the address in the email. I called the day after I submitted it wondering why I didn’t get a confirmation and they said they manually go through everyone’s application to make sure everything is there. She said it usually takes about 3 days after you turn your secondary in.

The instructions to submit the secondary say "Scan and email this document in PDF form to [email protected]." So are we supposed to write it by hand, scan it, then submit it as a PDF? Or can I just type up the answer to the prompt on Word and send it as a PDF?

The instructions to submit the secondary say "Scan and email this document in PDF form to [email protected]." So are we supposed to write it by hand, scan it, then submit it as a PDF? Or can I just type up the answer to the prompt on Word and send it as a PDF?
I typed it up and attached it to the document. I signed the document via notability on my iPad.

Last edited:
Do secondaries normally come to the email you listed or through the ACCOMAS portal?

Hi everyone,

Incoming OMS-1 here. Let me know if you have any questions about the app process, also feel free to DM me.

Did you interview in person or online?
Have you visited the city or know of the area?
How religious do you think the med school is?

Hi everyone,

Incoming OMS-1 here. Let me know if you have any questions about the app process, also feel free to DM me.
I heard the fourth years have to find rotations on their own? Idk how it goes for other med schools, but how do you feel about this?

Anyone who submitted their primary around June 28th receive a secondary yet?

I interviewed on Zoom.
I’ve never been to Hattiesburg but am moving there later this month so I can get back to you on that! It’s a small city- so it has all the essentials but not much more. It DOES have an airport which is nice. About 2 hours from New Orleans for entertainment and more to do. 1.5 hour from Gulf Coast beaches. Even though it’s small, it has safe and less safe areas. WCU is in the less safe area unfortunately, but campus has 24 hr security and there aren’t problems on campus itself, most students just choose not to live in the immediate area and commute from safer neighborhoods.
In terms of religion, I think the med school
is less religious than the undergrad school. Definitely not a LUCOM situation.
What’s the LUCOM situation? Are you implying the med school is more religious than the undergraduate institution?

What’s the LUCOM situation? Are you implying the med school is more religious than the undergraduate institution?
LUCOM is a super religious med school. Just watch some of their videos and be the judge of it. I forget which school it is, but one of them even make you go to sermon or something. The latter may be Loma Linda.

Received secondary. Is everyone answering the one question by writing it on the paper?

Got the confirmation that my file is complete and up for review. It took about a week after I submitted my secondary.

If it's been about 10 days since you've submitted your primary and haven't received a secondary, is it safe to assume you won't?

I'm OOS with above average MCAT. Maybe primary wasn't up to their liking?

If it's been about 10 days since you've submitted your primary and haven't received a secondary, is it safe to assume you won't?

I'm OOS with above average MCAT. Maybe primary wasn't up to their liking?
From what ive heard they are very selective about their secondaries. I would give it time though. Their secondary app is very simple. Its literally a document that you sign and attach the personal statement and email it back to them. I can't imagine they have a lot of ppl looking at applications.

From what ive heard they are very selective about their secondaries. I would give it time though. Their secondary app is very simple. Its literally a document that you sign and attach the personal statement and email it back to them. I can't imagine they have a lot of ppl looking at applications.
Thanks for the reply, I have read about them being super selective too.

I also heard they didn't give some people secondaries since they didn't have their english pre-requisites completed, which I also haven't done (I got english credit from IB though in high school). I was thinking of asking them about that on Monday, and seeing if that has anything to do with not hearing back.

Submitted my secondary on July 3rd, still haven't received a confirmation that they got my secondary. Is that normal? How long do they usually take to send a confirmation

Submitted my secondary on July 3rd, still haven't received a confirmation that they got my secondary. Is that normal? How long do they usually take to send a confirmation

It took them about a week to get back to me.
The holiday probably doesn’t help you. I’d give it till the middle of the week of this coming week to send them an email.

I’m gassed if it’s true that they only send secondaries to 20-25% of applicants. Especially as a Canadian applicant!

Did WCUCOM take away the CASPER requirement? I dont see it on their website anywhere and the secondary app didn't mention anything about it. Apparently last year they mentioned on the secondary app that you had to do CASPER.

I am taking the exam anyway since it’s required for many other schools in general, I guess if they ask for it i’ll send it. However, I saw it listed in that pdf that they attached to the secondary. There were two pdfs one was the essay that you had to send back and the other was the info document where casper was mentioned.