27 on MCAT. Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisdawg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's pretty late in the game but if I take it in October will schools even look at it? Trying to figure out if it's even worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

For DO schools, you don't have to retake as long as you apply broadly and to a lot of new DO schools. For MD schools, your highest chance is with your state MD school (s) and with mission based schools (Loma Linda, HBCUs). If you speak Spanish, you can apply to the Puerto Rican MD schools. For all other MD schools, you have a 10-40% chance of receiving an acceptance letter depending on your GPA and ECs.

Last edited:
I think the last MCAT date is Sept. 18 for this cycle. Definitely retake if you want to get into an MD school, but I agree above that some state schools have lower MCAT medians and I've seen some schools that give interviews to practically every in-state applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding! I know there's one on October 21. Basically I just want to know if schools will consider that score since it's so late in the game.

Thanks for responding! I know there's one on October 21. Basically I just want to know if schools will consider that score since it's so late in the game.

Yeah the last MCAT date that most schools will consider for this application cycle is September 18. I would call/email schools to make sure, but I would retake it if you believe that you will not get in anywhere this cycle. The new MCAT will not be fun to study for.