3.89 38 MCAT professional athlete, need list to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willy38

you're killin' me smalls
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The complete lack of research will hurt you at the research heavy top-tiers, but you will have zero trouble getting into at least one med school I imagine. Just make sure you include mid-tiers in your application.

The complete lack of research will hurt you at the research heavy top-tiers, but you will have zero trouble getting into at least one med school I imagine. Just make sure you include mid-tiers in your application.
Professional athlete and a 38? He doesn't need to worry about research.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Top tier schools care about unique applicants more than research. Apply anywhere you want to go.

Reactions: 5 users
Darkjedi , do you know of any schools in particular that would screen me out because of lack of research or would you recommend just apply broadly to top tiers plus state schools and hope for the best ?

Darkjedi , do you know of any schools in particular that would screen me out because of lack of research or would you recommend just apply broadly to top tiers plus state schools and hope for the best ?
I would absolutely apply and hope for the best. Your professional athlete status may in fact be enough to overcome the lack of research. It will vary from school to school and how much they focus on research vs your uniqueness.

Reactions: 1 users
If you purchase the MSAR from AAMC, you can see what % of matriculants have research experience. Might be helpful.

Last edited:

Last edited:
On average, most applicants apply to 15 schools. That number will completely depend on your finances (~$135 for each school because of AMCAS/secondary fees) and how motivated you are to finish all the essays on those secondary apps. You may not have research, but your MCAT/GPA is in range for any school you may want to attend. If you'd like to do research during medical school and eventually enter academic medicine, make sure you make this apparent in your application. Most "top tier" medical schools are very research focused and aim to train physicians in academia.

I'm sure any medical school would love to gloat that they have a former MLB player. Apply to your state school(s), 5 mid/low tier schools (make sure they're out-of-state friendly), and then ~10 top20 schools. At the very least, I can imagine you'll get a lot of interviews because your experiences make you seem interesting. As a side note, be sure to apply to Columbia because they love professional athletes.

On average, most applicants apply to 15 schools. That number will completely depend on your finances (~$135 for each school because of AMCAS/secondary fees) and how motivated you are to finish all the essays on those secondary apps. You may not have research, but your MCAT/GPA is in range for any school you may want to attend. If you'd like to do research during medical school and eventually enter academic medicine, make sure you make this apparent in your application. Most "top tier" medical schools are very research focused and aim to train physicians in academia.

I'm sure any medical school would love to gloat that they have a former MLB player. Apply to your state school(s), 5 mid/low tier schools (make sure they're out-of-state friendly), and then ~10 top20 schools. At the very least, I can imagine you'll get a lot of interviews because your experiences make you seem interesting. As a side note, be sure to apply to Columbia because they love professional athletes.
Thank you Katsu! Very much appreciated.

Update with list:

Columbia
Duke
Emory
Dartmouth
Harvard
Yale
NYU
MUSC
Northwestern
Upenn
Stanford
Brown
U of Chicago
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
WashU
Cornell

Last edited:
Yes, it would help, but by the time of your app, your research experience would be <6 months, which is still on the light side. I might get rid of Stanford because they like to interview and accept applicants with very research intensive apps. Your school list is also extremely top heavy considering your lack of research as well. I would try to add a few more "mid-tiers."

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it would help, but by the time of your app, your research experience would be <6 months, which is still on the light side. I might get rid of Stanford because they like to interview and accept applicants with very research intensive apps. Your school list is also extremely top heavy considering your lack of research as well. I would try to add a few more "mid-tiers."

Stanford likes diverse applicants, and playing professional baseball is definitely interesting and helps you stand out. It is more important to have a history of exceptional achievement in some area rather than a line item of mediocre research. Just based on a few stats and pieces of information, it sounds like you would be a great candidate for applying to Stanford. As noted, it is good though to have some backup/safety schools, particularly in your home state (or wherever you have enough residency time to count as in-state application).

(my qualifications to comment on this: current Stanford student)

The clinical research with the ortho-surgeon will be a nice thing to add to your app. It's also a nice story of a clinical interest area relevant to baseball, and I think you could put together a great personal statement which includes this. :)

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
As others said, apply to mid tier schools also. I'm sure you'll get into at least one place with that list though.

But, I did know a doctor who played for the Philadelphia Eagles before med school, and he only got into a Caribbean school. Then again, I doubt he had as good numbers as you do. Good luck! :)

Much appreciated! Stanford is a dream school for me. But as for the other schools that may consider me in-state, what would qualify? I grew up in SC and went to college in SC but have played/worked for a year in VA and a year in GA. Would I qualify as in state for any schools there?

You're going to have to look that up for each particular state school. They usually have some particular minimum term of residency requirement, and you may need to get a notarized letter that you qualify. It will be in the application information somewhere.

I would be absolutely shocked if you didn't get into a top 10 school.

I would be absolutely shocked if you didn't get into a top 10 school.

How exactly? The only thing that's unique in the OP's app is his athlete status, and it will help. The numbers are good, but there's more to an app than just one EC (in addition to the fact that there are loads of top notch athletes applying to med schools every year). The lack of research is going to be an issue, and in all honesty, I think it's really tacky for the OP to only like posts that have a very positive evaluation of his app when everyone else on here is giving their opinions and sound advice also.

Let's see what @LizzyM thinks.

How exactly? The only thing that's unique in the OP's app is his athlete status, and it will help. The numbers are good, but there's more to an app than just one EC (in addition to the fact that there are loads of top notch athletes applying to med schools every year). The lack of research is going to be an issue, and in all honesty, I think it's really tacky for the OP to only like posts that have a very positive evaluation of his app when everyone else on here is giving their opinions and sound advice also.

tiCLOGj.gif

Reactions: 8 users

It's pretty normal to like favorable opinions. Sorry if my internet etiquette isn't up to par. I still appreciate everyone's input though and wanted to get opinions from all sorts of different people, not just positive ones. I've tried to incorporate the advice about research and just wanted an opinion on the update. Didn't mean to come across as tacky. I apologize if I did.

I agree with doodoo123. Your numbers are exceptional but it will be similar to everyone else's at top tiers.
In addition to research, I think you also need more volunteering. I would keep those top tiers but add more mid-tiers

I agree with doodoo123. Your numbers are exceptional but it will be similar to everyone else's at top tiers.
In addition to research, I think you also need more volunteering. I would keep those top tiers but add more mid-tiers
As far as mid tiers go, I've heard rush and tufts are OOS friendly. Do you know of others that are in bigger cities that also take OOS ?

Be sure to show up to the interview in your MLB outfit. :bow:

Basically, apply to Harvard NP, not HST. In other words, you'll get into a top-10 school as long as you don't apply to their heavy-duty research programs.

I think your list looks good, but I agree with chillaxbro on adding more mid-tier. Applying is a crapshoot already, and I feel that top schools will either love your app or maybe hesitate over the minimal volunteering and research. Not sure how much starting research at this point is going to impress anyone. I guess it depends on how you spin it (eg. you realized you want to go into academic medicine... might be a bit extreme). I think it will look like a last minute effort to check boxes, but it can't hurt. I might be totally wrong, but I think WashU also likes a lot of research? They changed their admissions this cycle, so maybe things will be different.

Last edited:
I think your list looks good, but I agree with chillaxbro on adding more mid-tier. Applying is a crapshoot already, and I feel that top schools will either love your app or maybe hesitate over the minimal volunteering and research. Not sure how to what degree starting research at this point is going to impress anyone. I guess it depends on how you spin it (eg. you realized you want to go into academic medicine... might be a bit extreme). I think it will look like a last minute effort to check boxes, but it can't hurt. I might be totally wrong, but I think WashU also likes a lot of research? They changed their admissions this cycle, so maybe things will be different.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
OP, your numbers are obviously very strong and your professional athlete status will definitely be a huge plus, as others have pointed out.

~150 clinical shadowing hours
~2 hrs/week handicapped baseball league volunteer for one semester (volunteer of the year)

However, I'm not sure if either of the above will be counted as clinical experience. Shadowing is listed separately on AMCAS as "Physician shadowing/clinical observation." While this does give you insight into the medical profession, I've read some adcoms on here state that this does not replace other clinical experiences where you are working directly with the patients. As for the volunteer position, I'm not sure if that counts as clinical/medical service since you're not working with patients or in a clinical setting, even though you are working with handicapped individuals. Again, not sure if you can frame this as a clinical experience--other opinions? Do you have any experiences working directly with patients in a hospital, nursing home, EMT, etc? If schools perceive you have a lack of clinical experiences, this will be harder to overcome than a perceived lack of research experiences.

Last edited:
I think that @Willy38 is a stand out applicant. He will have something on the application tagged "Research" so in that regard, he's covered. The vast majority of matriculants at every school have research experience because the vast majority of applicants have research experience. Only a small proportion are Phi Beta Kappa and have MCATs in the top 1%. Add MLB player and the adcoms will be falling all over themselves to interview him.

Reactions: 6 users
Concur 100% with my learned colleague. Aim high. And channel the great Bobby Brown, MD and NY Yankee.

I think that @Willy38 is a stand out applicant. He will have something on the application tagged "Research" so in that regard, he's covered. The vast majority of matriculants at every school have research experience because the vast majority of applicants have research experience. Only a small proportion are Phi Beta Kappa and have MCATs in the top 1%. Add MLB player and the adcoms will be falling all over themselves to interview him.

When I was in med school we interviewed a kid who was a WALK ON at Notre Dame. He got drooled over by the adcoms for his athlete status, despite the fact that I think the only time he actually played was in his last game of senior year a la rudy.

The athlete thing, and the associated uniqueness, will help. A lot.

Willy, whether it's the Majors, or Class D ball in Dubuque, IA, you're doing something the rest of us dream of!

To clarify, I was drafted (top 15 rounds) and am currently playing professional baseball. But I am not making millions of dollars in the big leagues lol but my experience in the minors has been very eye opening and I have met all sorts of people from all over the world ( particularly Latin America ) which I feel has given me a unique perspective on medicine. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misleading anyone.

To clarify, I was drafted (top 15 rounds) and am currently playing professional baseball. But I am not making millions of dollars in the big leagues lol but my experience in the minors has been very eye opening and I have met all sorts of people from all over the world ( particularly Latin America ) which I feel has given me a unique perspective on medicine. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misleading anyone.

Awesome app and a cool story. Let the haters hate!

Just wanted to call your attention to a few resources that will be helpful as you prepare applications. First, here's the link to a thread that SDN uses for helpful information for applicants from this past cycle. Here's the link to a thread that we keep with people willing to look over personal statements [this will be useful if you're out of school and don't have access to the writing centers that some schools (like mine) have to edit/review papers for free].

Here's to hoping you're a first round pick this time around.

Awesome app and a cool story. Let the haters hate!

Just wanted to call your attention to a few resources that will be helpful as you prepare applications. First, here's the link to a thread that SDN uses for helpful information for applicants from this past cycle. Here's the link to a thread that we keep with people willing to look over personal statements [this will be useful if you're out of school and don't have access to the writing centers that some schools (like mine) have to edit/review papers for free].

Here's to hoping you're a first round pick this time around.
Thank you for the resources! I am relatively new to SDN but have really appreciated everyone's advice on these forums. They have been invaluable in helping me prepare for applying this cycle.

I guess we call agree to disagree, but we'll know once you apply. Let us know how it works out for you, and good luck!

The difference is that he got these impressive and very competitive numbers while participating in division 1 athletics AND at a level that earned him a spot in a professional sports team after graduation. What percent of college athletes can say that? Many can't even graduate.
As long as you have a normal personality and can articulate your interest in medicine clearly you will do extremely well. I would also be very surprised if you don't have several top 20 offers. Your application is very very strong.
Go Cardinal. :)

I think the OP has a very good shot at getting into a top 20, if not top 10. But I will play devil's advocate because it seems like some people are obsessing and almost blindsided by the OP's athlete status and ignoring the rest of his app.

For example, according to Catalystik,
1) Shadowing is a clinical experience, but it's considered a passive observership the purpose of which is to watch the patient-physician interaction, not to interact with the patient.
2) Some schools don't care about shadowing. Other schools will consider shadowing alone to fulfill their expectations. But most want to know that you can interact with sick people in a helpful way, as well. It's wise to have both types of experience so your application will appeal to a broad audience. Active clinical experience can be gained in many ways: employment, volunteering, or via research interactions, at a hospital, clinic, rehab center, nursing home, or hospice.
3) If you start gaining active clinical experience as soon as possible, it could help an application submitted summer 2014, especially if you continue the activity through the application year. It could be helpful also if some of the shadowing you did was actually in the "helpful" category and you reclassified it and listed it separately.

The OP's only form of clinical experience is shadowing. First and foremost, all applicants are submitting applications to medical schools to become doctors ultimately, and thus, the most important aspect of an app is demonstrating to adcom members that he/she understands what kind of field he/she is entering. It will be hard for the OP to demonstrate his interest in medicine with such a dearth of clinical interaction with patients. Interesting ECs are secondary to clinical exposure; the OP is not trying out for the major league baseball league. Investing all of your time into professional baseball isn't an excuse for the lack of clinical experience and volunteering when you're set on going to med school. Playing baseball is that extra thing that can push the OP to the top of heap, if he had the clinical experiences necessary to go into medicine. Besides that, I think the OP's non-clinical volunteering experience is very lacking as well. The OP has only volunteered for all of one semester. And as far as I can see, the OP will only be listing at most 5-6 experiences on the experiences portion of his app (even with his new research experience). That's low.

On another note, I think it's interesting that @Goro says what he says on this thread, when he's commented with this on another person's WAMC thread for someone who had the same number of shadowing hours and no clinical volunteering experience (also with stellar numbers):
And right here is your problem. You have yet to set foot in ahospital, except for shadowing. You need to show us that you actually want to spend the next 30-40 years being around sick people, and that you know what you're getting into. Not all patient contact experience has to be hospital based. think hospice, nursing homes or clinics. But I've seen plenty of posts here from people with stats like yours who were rejected precisely because they lacked any clinical ECs.

"Everything else is where I run thin.
-150ish hours of shadowing, mainly ER, but was varied (I got sent off to radiology, cath lab, some neurology docs, etc)
-Started, and ran, a sports club at my college. I've gone to some regional competitions in the sport and done alright, and am aiming for nationals this time around
-Volunteer tutor at the university for the bio dept. 3/4hours a week for two years.
- TAed an upper level bio course at university for a semester
- Tutored for the athletic dept. for all the major science classes (bio, chem, orgo, physic, and a variety of logic courses). 5 hrs a week for the first semester, 15 hours a week the second semester
-Worked at panera bread during 2 summers; don't know if this is worth including? Also tended bar for a summer...
-Non medical community service is about 100 hours total (Obviously my biggest worry)"

As for this post (below) about Stanford, I think the diversity statement only applies to applicants who have been heavily involved in the LGBT community (or are LGBT themselves) or had major socioeconomic issues growing up (hence, the extra essay on the secondary), though this doesn't matter unless you know someone in the med school who has the OP's kind of diversity. I also know that Stanford gives slight preference to applicants who are from the Bay Area, went to Stanford for undergrad, or did research in a Stanford lab.
Stanford likes diverse applicants, and playing professional baseball is definitely interesting and helps you stand out. It is more important to have a history of exceptional achievement in some area rather than a line item of mediocre research. Just based on a few stats and pieces of information, it sounds like you would be a great candidate for applying to Stanford. As noted, it is good though to have some backup/safety schools, particularly in your home state (or wherever you have enough residency time to count as in-state application).

(my qualifications to comment on this: current Stanford student)

The clinical research with the ortho-surgeon will be a nice thing to add to your app. It's also a nice story of a clinical interest area relevant to baseball, and I think you could put together a great personal statement which includes this. :)

Good luck!

But anyways, I guess this is all moot point, and the only people who have control over this are adcom members at the schools the OP is applying to. OP, Good luck!

The difference is that he got these impressive and very competitive numbers while participating in division 1 athletics AND at a level that earned him a spot in a professional sports team after graduation. What percent of college athletes can say that? Many can't even graduate.

Right. I went to a big sports school, and tutored athletes for my department. I've seen both (a) just how much time they have to commit to their sports and (b) how hard it is for the ones determined to succeed academically to do so. It's impressive for someone to have a high A GPA, dean's list, etc, and it speaks to their ability to be efficient and disciplined.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. As far as the apparent lack of traditional EC's and clinical/non-clinical volunteering, I wasn't able to participate. I know that may sound like a cop-out but its the truth. Baseball is very different than other D1 sports in terms of time commitment. It is a year-round commitment. As a freshman I wanted to double major in a language but was not allowed by my coach. Our school requires study abroad and I was forbid to do that, even in the summer. I was constantly in the middle of a tug-of-war between the administration and the athletic department. I was on full scholarship so pretty much had to do what he said. Our typical week during the fall was easily 30 hours plus the occasional 4am "challenge workouts" that may happen to finish right before an advanced orgo or physio exam. We play 4-5 games per week in college, (7 hours of field time each which doesn't include travel time), plus practice each day, which when compared to other sports is far more hectic.

Professionally its a whole different level. We play 140+ games... every day (I think we get 3 scheduled days off per season). Its not uncommon to finish an 8 hour bus ride (starting at midnight after the game) and head to the ballpark to play. I don't know the exact hours we spend but there is currently a lawsuit about us not being payed minimum wage ( I think we earn between 1.50-2.50 per hour when you do the math). At home its about 80 hrs per week and on the road is easily double that. All the while we share 1 bedroom apartments on air mattresses with 4 other players, (half of which don't speak english) and yet are asked to sign autographs like celebrities. If this sounds crazy, its because it is.
All this to say, I truly didn't/don't have time. When I dedicate myself to something, I DEDICATE myself to it. I am prepared to do this with medicine and hope that adcoms can appreciate that.

I'm sorry if my post came off as harsh. I'm just trying to be as objective as possible and trying to explain why the other posters seem to give mixed comments on your app. I don't endorse all the points I made in my post because I know also how hard you all work as top athletes in your fields and how much you have to invest into that. I do think you have a great shot at a top 20 school, and a lot will come down to luck (they say it is a crapshoot for a reason). However, that still will be a question mark when it comes down to your app, particularly the lack of clinical exposure (besides shadowing).

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. As far as the apparent lack of traditional EC's and clinical/non-clinical volunteering, I wasn't able to participate. I know that may sound like a cop-out but its the truth. Baseball is very different than other D1 sports in terms of time commitment. It is a year-round commitment. As a freshman I wanted to double major in a language but was not allowed by my coach. Our school requires study abroad and I was forbid to do that, even in the summer. I was constantly in the middle of a tug-of-war between the administration and the athletic department. I was on full scholarship so pretty much had to do what he said. Our typical week during the fall was easily 30 hours plus the occasional 4am "challenge workouts" that may happen to finish right before an advanced orgo or physio exam. We play 4-5 games per week in college, (7 hours of field time each which doesn't include travel time), plus practice each day, which when compared to other sports is far more hectic.

Professionally its a whole different level. We play 140+ games... every day (I think we get 3 scheduled days off per season). Its not uncommon to finish an 8 hour bus ride (starting at midnight after the game) and head to the ballpark to play. I don't know the exact hours we spend but there is currently a lawsuit about us not being payed minimum wage ( I think we earn between 1.50-2.50 per hour when you do the math). At home its about 80 hrs per week and on the road is easily double that. All the while we share 1 bedroom apartments on air mattresses with 4 other players, (half of which don't speak english) and yet are asked to sign autographs like celebrities. If this sounds crazy, its because it is.

All this to say, I truly didn't/don't have time. When I dedicate myself to something, I DEDICATE myself to it. I am prepared to do this with medicine and hope that adcoms can appreciate that.

You've got the world by the tail, friend. You're going to have pick of the litter for medical school, so cast your net as you please. I can't think of another animal analogy, but since this is not a veterinarian forum, I am sure everyone will let me off the hook. I think I just snuck another one in there.

Edit: Go Red Sox!!!

Edit Edit: Plot twist. OP is Miguel Cabrera.

Last edited:
You've got the world by the tail, friend. You're going to have pick of the litter for medical school, so cast your net as you please. I can't think of another animal analogy, but since this is not a veterinarian forum, I am sure everyone will let me off the hook. I think I just snuck another one in there.

Edit: Go Red Sox!!!

Edit Edit: Plot twist. OP is Miguel Cabrera.

How'd you guess? lol And I was actually a sox fan growing up but that changed after the draft.