3.89 38 MCAT professional athlete, need list to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How'd you guess? lol And I was actually a sox fan growing up but that changed after the draft.

*Gasp*

It.never.changes.

:uhno:

Just kidding. But seriously, you should get a letter of recommendation from Bud Selig. That would be epic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
*Gasp*

It.never.changes.

:uhno:

Just kidding. But seriously, you should get a letter of recommendation from Bud Selig. That would be epic.
I don't know him. I'm not famous or anything. The only people who know me are the crazy card collectors and avid fans of my organization. So no impressive LORs for me haha And I still pull for the sox, just not publicly ;)

I don't know him. I'm not famous or anything. The only people who know me are the crazy card collectors and avid fans of my organization. So no impressive LORs for me haha And I still pull for the sox, just not publicly ;)

He doesn't know you, Willy. When he visits your ballpark during his Farewell Tour, he'll finally have his shot to meet Wonder-kid Willy 38, and when he asks for your signature, you should let him know how he can make his biggest mark on the world yet, by endorsing you to go to medical school through a letter of recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

I just received my scores a week or so ago and am looking for advice on compiling a list of schools to apply to. Here are my stats:

3.89 gpa Chem major at liberal arts school
38 MCAT (PS-12, VR-12, BS-14)
Phi Beta Kappa
Varsity athlete, Drafted in MLB draft (currently playing professional baseball)
~150 clinical shadowing hours
~2 hrs/week handicapped baseball league volunteer for one semester (volunteer of the year)
No research experience

Where would you recommend applying? I really want to go out of state, but I know that top tier schools really care about pubs and research. Any ideas? thoughts? opinions?
You're like Captain America.

Wait, are you Captain America?!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to comment to say WOW. as someone who played a division 1 sport for my first couple years and failed miserably academically while doing so, all I can say is I'm extremely impressed. I had to quit in order to get my grades turned around, and I sat the bench! haha

you'll have some great success when you apply, I don't doubt that one bit. few understand the time commitment required to be an athlete, and apparently a damn good one at that, nevermind getting straight A's and a 38 MCAT while doing so. fantastic job man. I wish you the best, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Much appreciated man. It's good to hear from a fellow athlete on here. It can be daunting to see so many other applicants that have started nonprofits, published, cured cancer etc. haha
I feel good that you put cured cancer and published in the same catalog. I all of sudden feel a lot more accomplished.

Many people can only dream of getting into the pros. Then they go to college hoping to go pro in medicine and still can't get that dream to come true. A 38 and a pro athlete is two dreams accomplished of mine, neither of which I did. Major kudos and good luck.

@Willy38 We have pretty similar stats (I am as far from being a D1 athlete as possible though haha) and a similar school list as well! No med-school will doubt that you have the drive and ability to commit to something and excel at it if you put your mind to it. Most of us pre-meds are full time students who do some research hours, volunteering, student groups on the side, and can't even imagine the demands and pressures of being a D1 athlete and maintaining a 3.9 GPA at the same time! KUDOS to you!

Boa sorte pra você também! e que tenha um bom "application cycle"!

Your medical experiences look a bit lackluster, but the rest of your application seems pretty much mind blowing for an AdCom. Make sure you fit in all your state schools (schools at the state you are currently a resident, or have been a resident at in the past), at least 5 mid-tier schools, and your favorite 10 Top 20s and you should be good. It wouldn't hurt to expand on medical experience and research while you apply (in fact it won't just not hurt, it will help you a TON).

AdComs are also going to be skeptical of your drive to pursue medicine because of a lack of medical experience. Make sure you're prepared to answer questions regarding your reason for wanting to be a physician, your insight to the role of a physician, and your own personal goals as a physician.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

@Willy38 We have pretty similar stats (I am as far from being a D1 athlete as possible though haha) and a similar school list as well! No med-school will doubt that you have the drive and ability to commit to something and excel at it if you put your mind to it. Most of us pre-meds are full time students who do some research hours, volunteering, student groups on the side, and can't even imagine the demands and pressures of being a D1 athlete and maintaining a 3.9 GPA at the same time! KUDOS to you!

Boa sorte pra você também! e que tenha um bom "application cycle"!

Obrigado! Eu sou Americano também mas a minha namorada e de Portugal e eu aprendi algumas coisas dela.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Willy38, I wouldn't take much stock in the people on here who are giving you "mixed" reviews on your application. It's stellar, and all the people who have informed, worthwhile opinions have stated that you are an elite applicant. The only advice I have for you is to be able to give a well-thought out reason for your interest in pursuing medicine during interviews.

Most of the people who are giving you flack are pre-meds who are probably a little jealous and looking to find any fault in an excellent, comprehensive application.

Alright, @Willy38 come and tell everyone how successful you have been this cycle! Congrats man and good luck choosing!

Reactions: 2 users
^^also curious!!

i also want to know his name so i can bbref him, haha

looks like he was admitted to WashU, UChicago, Wake, and UVa.

Hey guys I will provide a complete update after I've made a final decision. Thanks for all the help and encouragement. SDN has been instrumental in helping me prepare an application.

If you're interested in the baseball side of things (BB reference) shoot me a PM and I'll try to get back to you best I can.

I know he is waitlisted at Duke too... like me! (if you applied to Duke this cycle, you guys would understand the insane amount of time and frustration on that thread....)

Willy38....if you get into Duke would you go?

Last edited:
am I missing something here? Why do you not want to be a professional baseball player? It isn't look football or boxing where you're suffering head trauma during your career... Baseball is easy on the body, you can have a long career and retire completely healthy

you know how much minor leaguers get paid?

am I missing something here? Why do you not want to be a professional baseball player? It isn't look football or boxing where you're suffering head trauma during your career... Baseball is easy on the body, you can have a long career and retire completely healthy
Relief pitchers don't typically last very long, arm trouble is very common, and the schedule makes it difficult to have a family (not that medicine is completely conducive for having one, but at least you aren't on a plane every 5 days, or in my case a bus lol)

Baseball provides a lot of great things and has given me some wonderful memories, but serving others physically and emotionally in the capacity that only medicine allows for is what I feel I'm called to do so I voluntarily retired. It was a very personal decision given the fact that I had competed for 20 years.

Relief pitchers don't typically last very long, arm trouble is very common, and the schedule makes it difficult to have a family (not that medicine is completely conducive for having one, but at least you aren't on a plane every 5 days, or in my case a bus lol)

Baseball provides a lot of great things and has given me some wonderful memories, but serving others physically and emotionally in the capacity that only medicine allows for is what I feel I'm called to do so I voluntarily retired. It was a very personal decision given the fact that I had competed for 20 years.

to each his own man, I haven't been at that stage so I can't really relate to your perspective but I respect it. aren't you going to miss playing though? I always hear athletes talk about how it's more than fame or money, but the feeling of playing in front of thousands of people, it's more like a glory thing. I don't watch baseball or know much about it, but I can only imagine that walking out onto Fenway Park or Wrigley Field must be a great feeling.

You will probably get into a top 5 med school so I guess there's some glory in that too hah

And yes I will miss and already do miss some aspects of playing but think I largely miss the camaraderie with my fellow teammates. Hopefully I can have similar relationships with my future classmates !

Last edited:
Yeah I think a lot of guys who play think that way. I enjoyed the rush of being on the mound and closing out a tight game. Everyone has a different reason for playing though. For me, glory was pretty far down the list, as it is in medicine.

Not everyone will appreciate you and what you do for them as a doctor or as an athlete. The two are very similar in many regards. They both simultaneously praise you when successful and demonize you upon failure. I didn't play to receive praise from fans nor will I serve as a physician simply to receive thanks from patients following a good outcome. Instead I would say I have competed as an athlete from an intrinsic desire to test my limits physically and improve upon a skill I enjoy using. Similarly I am pursuing medicine because of an intrinsic desire to develop skills necessary for alleviating human suffering.

In any case, while I do enjoy the glory that may accompany success, I am not driven by it but rather by intrinsic factors relating to the pursuit of progress and doing good for others. For me, this desire has manifested itself in medicine.

Like I said, it has been a tough decision but I believe it to be the right one.

Edit: And yes I will miss and already do miss some aspects of playing but think I largely miss the camaraderie with my fellow teammates. Hopefully I can have similar relationships with my future classmates !

Would have been cool if you'd played in the big leagues for a couple of years, but regardless you seem like someone who has their head on straight and I hope we cross paths in the future!

Good luck and do keep us posted on where you decide to go!

Your going to be excellent.

Hey guys, just posting to update anyone who was curious or current applicants preparing for this cycle now that I've made a decision. I will be attending WashU this August ! (assuming no WL movement)

Here's how the app cycle went down. I applied to 21 schools, interviewed at 9, was accepted outright at 5, waitlisted at 3, and rejected post interview at 1.

If you want details and dates etc. which I found helpful when applying, feel free to look at my MDapps. PM me if you have questions !

Lastly, thanks again to everyone who has helped me navigate this crazy process. Its nice to be finally be accepted and matriculating !

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, just posting to update anyone who was curious or current applicants preparing for this cycle now that I've made a decision. I will be attending WashU this August ! (assuming no WL movement)

Here's how the app cycle went down. I applied to 21 schools, interviewed at 9, was accepted outright at 5, waitlisted at 3, and rejected post interview at 1.

If you want details and dates etc. which I found helpful when applying, feel free to look at my MDapps. PM me if you have questions !

Lastly, thanks again to everyone who has helped me navigate this crazy process. Its nice to be finally be accepted and matriculating !
Congrats Man! I've been following this thread, and way to go! When you set up practice or meet patients, have some cool pictures from your MLB days in your office to wow them or start up a cool conversation. And of course, your glorious diploma from WashU too, so they can see how smart you are.

Congrats Man! I've been following this thread, and way to go! When you set up practice or meet patients, have some cool pictures from your MLB days in your office to wow them or start up a cool conversation. And of course, your glorious diploma from WashU too, so they can see how smart you are.
Thanks ! It's been a crazy ride but it's nice to finally be settled somewhere I think I'll really be happy.

I'll be sure to do that with the pics. If I go into ortho sports med then I'll be all set. Haha

@Willy38 I just wanted to clarify but were you actually in the major leagues or was it some sort of minor league? Because all major league players are supposed to make 500k minimum by law, correct? Is that what you are giving up? But congrats on making a decision, you truly deserve all the success you have gotten.

Last edited:
No lol not major leagues. A variety of minor league teams at different levels.

Oh haha okay that clarifies things. To me it seemed like you were talking about major league this whole time, and my friend and I were wondering who would ever give up a minimum 500k salary for med school

Final update for anyone who was following this or cared to know, but I am no longer headed to WashU. Instead I will be attending Yale this fall. Thanks again for all who contributed to my application this past year.

If anyone has questions or has a similar background and wants my opinion on schools I interviewed at, just send me a PM. Best of luck to all the current and future applicants!