30+ MCAT study habits???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

confewshz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

1) Your individual scores and composite score

2) The study method used for each section

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

4) Which practice tests did you use?

5) What was your undergraduate major?

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Thanks guys and congrats to everyone who recently took the MCAT :clap: ,

confewshz

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by confewshz

37: 12V 13P 12 B

Verbal: I've always been pretty good at verbal, so I didn't study this much.
P: Studied Kaplan books. Did practice problems.
B: Studied Kaplan books. I took O chem 2 over the summer and ended 2 days before mcat, so it was still fresh.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Kaplan and AAMC practice tests.

Economics

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Don't have an appendectomy surgery 2 days before the MCAT like I did :D

confewshz

Originally posted by qweewq11
Don't have an appendectomy surgery 2 days before the MCAT like I did

LMAO....nah, I wouldnt recommend that. Too bad you didn't have a choice and good thing it didn't appear to affect your test taking ability :) You just reminded me of my test taking experience I had 5 years ago. Never eat beans, rice and a soda during your lunch break. Man when I went back in to take the test, I was so freakin bloated that I felt like I was going to have a heart attack - LOL. I dont know what I was thinking, although it sounded like a good idea at the time :) Needless to say, the latter half of my test taking experience was utterly miserable. Boy have I learned from that experience. I now know to eat a sandwich at the local Wall Street Deli :) Anyhow, thanks for the response qweewq11 and Blitz.

confewshz

Members don't see this ad :)

10, 14, 13 = 37

call me crazy, but i reviewed all my basic 4 books.....if i was weak in an area, i did practice problems...so if i thought i was weak in archmides' principle, then i would do problems til i was sick of it....same thing for orgo mechs, and chem problems....bio is sort of a reveiw, but get the details down well!

Took kaplan course and used their practice materials, did every
topical tests. did TPR practice exams, about 3 of them (as close as you can get with all aspects, i loved the verbal), used examkrakers verbal got me up from a 5 to a 10, so i was pleased

Kaplan and TPR, kaplan only cause it was part of the course, but found that they weren't close to anything, except bio was good

Bio - genetics, microbio and cell bio was very helpful....had atleast one passage where an advanced level was very helpful,...on rabbit genetics, on viruses, and lac operon.....advanced clases help!..
physio was not necessary, i had an EKG passage, but it was doable without the class, i'm taking it now and the book said no more than did the passage......i had taken anatomy before the mcat, but didn't find it of any use.....

make sure you have all the concepts down well and you can integrate everything, so for example, be able to solve a problem taht involves the circulatory system wired like a circuit...parallel and series

started in May....Mid July started tests.......last test one week before real thing, ........didn't do much of anything in august, except practice verbal......took about 10 tests, aamc V was the same as my real score......and VI was 2 points lower than my real score.............but same difficulty.....

PM me if you want to know anything else, i'd love to help in any way i can.....

nero

Reactions: 1 user
10V 9P 11B P

I was a Comp Sci major who went back to school after two years of work in software engineering. I just took the pre-req's at a Community College and studied for the MCAT on my own. I'm definitely not strong in the sciences, as I've just barely got the pre-req's. I think the key to scoring well for me was to immerse myself 100% in the MCAT for two months prior to the exam. August was the first time I've taken it, and I started studying June 15th. But between Jun 15th and August 15th I studied 7-8hrs/day while taking an EMT-B course. Oddly enough, there were about 10 questions on the Biology section that I would've missed had I not taken the EMT course. Who'd have known?

I studied off of an old copy of the TPR course books from 2000 (a buddy bequeathed them to me). I read each book cover to cover twice and did all the practice passages. I never did a full practice test, and it really hurt me. I didn't finish the PS and BS sections (5 questions left blank on each) because I wasn't used to the pace.

The key is immersion and repetition. You don't need a review course, and you don't need advanced courses in the sciences to get a 30 on the MCAT. Just immerse yourself in the material 100% and take as many practice tests as possible. Remember, studying for the MCAT should be treated like a full-time job. Force yourself to study 6-8hrs/day for at least two months prior and deevote every single saturday to taking practice tests. It sounds like a lot, but nobody said getting into medical school was easy. Good luck.

35P (or 37, depending on how verbal is reported)

13V 9P 13B

science-reviewed/learned concepts, then did lots of practice problems, physics is my weak area
verbal-none, this is my area of strength

Science-Examkrackers, practice exams
Verbal-practice exams

AAMC III-V, Examkrackers 1b,

extracurricular activities :laugh:

Check your numbering after each page. I misnumbered an entire column on PS, and while I thought I recovered well, it may have affected my score nonetheless. Perhaps it would have helped if I had taken the second half of physics.

2.5 months of 3-4 hours/day for the April exam, which I didn't take although I felt more prepared for it than I felt in August.
About 4 weeks of 4-5 hours/week for the August exam.

11 Vr
12 PS
12 BS
R
I would never spend the money for the kaplan course again.

VR- nothing but practice tests, I scored a 12 on the Kaplan
diag. so I knew I was ready

PS- This section gave me the biggest worry, I used
Examkrackers in conjunction with my Kaplan class
I relied more heavily on the EK. I also used the 1001
question series for physics.

BS- I had just taken Physiology and Biochem 1. I suggest
doing the same. Orgo was a pain and I didn't pay
too much attention to it.

Kaplan 1-5 and I used the other PS sections on my free time. Also spend the $80 for e-mcat.com. It is definately worth it as it saves you the time of having to drive to your kaplan center for the tests.

Bio w/ econ minor. Econ helped out on the essay and VR section.

Take one of the AAMC tests from e-mcat.com and see how you do. You will know what areas you need to concentrate on after taking one.

I truly believe you prepare for the MCAT beginning in high school. I started studying specifically for the test in early June.

[1) Your individual scores and composite score

Verbal 11
Bio 11
PS 11
Essay S

Composite score: 33 S

My Kaplan diagnostic was 22.

Verbal: Lots and lots of passages! Doing lots of passages gives you a good feel for the "MCAT" way of asking and answering questions. Practice some passages using different methods. I found it best to just read the passage critically, as if I was grading it. For me, specifically looking for the main idea of the passage and each paragraph made me get too bogged down in the details.

Physical Sciences: Reviewed and made sure I knew the basic concepts. Again, do lots of passages! Nova MCAT Physics Review was great. Nova emphasizes understanding the concepts and being comfortable with the mathematical relationships in equations. If you double the charge or halve the distance how does that effect the electical force? Etc.

Biological Sciences: Reviewed the basic concepts. Cell bio and genetics are good classes to have under your belt. The room was about 95 degrees by the time BIO started, I'm sure i would have scored higher if I wasn't on the verge of heat stroke.

Essay: I reviewed the AAMC prompts and directions, but I never wrote a practice essay. Thank God the questions weren't related to politics

Took Kaplan class. Good instructor. The individual subject reviews were helpful. I did not use Kapaln's verbal method. I used Examkracker's Audio Osmosis and recommend their Verbal strategy. Kaplan has a great library of tests. Their subject tests can be printed out from the website and scored online. I did almost every subject and topical test Kaplan offers.

I used some of Kaplan's full lengths, AAMC II - IV. Did almost all of Kaplan's topical and subject tests. Probably did a total of about 3000 questions.

Biomedical Engineering (1990) Boston University Post bac for the past year.(UCONN)

Set a plan and stick to it. Don't shy away from hard practice questions. Don't do all of your practice questions under "ideal" situations. There was construction in the parking lot behind the Kaplan center and I took practice full lengths in the loudest room. It helps you learn to block out everything but the questions and who knows what types of distractions there will be on the test day. Just keep pushing through the material and eventually your effort will pay off. Lastly, take off a couple of days before the test and don't study! Just do a couple of Verbal passages to keep it fresh. The morning of the test one or two verbal passages over breakfast. This will help you focus. Just don't freak out if you score them and do terrible! Better to get the bugs out of your brain on practice questions than to blow the first two passages on the real thing.

7 weeks about 4-5 hours per day

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Keep them coming :)

confewshz

V11 P13 WN B13

V - lots of practice questions cause this was my weakest area (started off at 7's) and i started reading scientific american magazine too
P - i found PS to be the easiest section so i didn't stress too much on it
W - thought of arguments for & against random prompts ... as u can see this method sucked
B - reviewed organic & just did practice tests

i just bought some books from Chapters (Kaplan Comprehensive Review, Kaplan Practice Questions, & Kaplan 45)

above books & AAMC Materials (Practice items & Exams I-VI)

pharmacology & math

yep - i'd say u need a 6-8 week period of hardcore study. read through the material over and over for the first 3-4 weeks then write ~3-4 full length practice exams / week in timed conditions

8 weeks

VR 11 PS 12 BS 13 WS S = 36S

Practice problems for VR, PS, and BS. I didn't prepare for the writing sample.

Used old Princeton Review books from 1998 (family heirloom) for all the sections. Never finished them though.

Never did a practice test; didn't know they existed until a day before the exam...

Immunology

You must savor the PAIN.

Just a little over two weeks. I was doing research and summer school and my summer school exam was on the same week as the mcat...worst summer of my life.

By the way, are my scores competitive for first tier med schools? How about the top 10? (It doesn't hurt to dream...)

Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

10V 12P 12B (april 2002)

Took Examkrackers course and also used audio osmosis. Read each section in manuals at least 3 times, did questions in the 1001 book series. Redid all of the aamc 2-6 questions until I knew all the answers. Took aamc2-6 as my full lengths and also did problems from ek tests (1d, 2d)

examkrackers

aamc 2,3,4,5,6

biochemistry (graduated 1999)

your score is determined by YOU, not what prep course you take. It will ultimately be up to you whether you study every day or slack off, you get the picture.

< 10 weeks.

confewshz

Members don't see this ad :)
My 2 percent of a dollar

10 verbal, 12 physical, 13 bio, R writing, 35 R

verbal-after looking at the princeton review system, i doctored it to my own needs and came up with my own. it all came down to doing LOTS of passages
physical-brushed up on my physics, taken 3 years before i took the MCAT. not only a matter of remembering the material, but being competent in thing such as manipulating logarithms saves a lot of time
Bio-TPR was pretty comprehensive. glanced through my first semester O chem stuff (taken 4 years before)

TPR for all of it

TPR's saturday diags, two of their impossible lettered tests, and a couple old AAMCs

Biology and Chemistry

get in the habit of reading more than you normally do, it will help exponentially on the verbal. also, even though i got a great score, i think I would have done a little better had I take it closer to finishing o chem and physics. but, its all about CONFIDENCE more than anything. you wanna go in their thinking you're going to take that thing once, and kill it.

~3 months, 15-20 hours a week maybe

Hello everyone,

13v, 10ps, R, 13bs = 36R

I studied on my own using the Examkrackers materials. I read each lecture 2-3 times and took notes on the lectures at least once. I did all of the 30 minute quizzes as I went, and saved any full length tests until I was done reviewing the sciences.

Examkrackers

AAMC III-VI, and EK1D and EK2D

Biology (graduated in 1995)

I strongly recommend using Examkrackers' verbal strategy. Prior to taking the August 2002 exam, I was convinced that I was someone who could not finish verbal. Now, I think anyone can finish verbal, and that if you want to have a strong chance of scoring above a 10, you must finish. Using Examkrackers verbal strategy, I finished the verbal on the August 2002 exam and I got a perfect score. I'd also watch going overboard on buying practice materials. I think all you need are the AAMC materials and EK exams. I also bought a lot of Berkeley Review exams and Columbia Review exams that I never touched.

I started reviewing in January, initially planning to take the April exam. But because I was working 60-80 hours a week, and it had been almost 9 years since I had taken any of the required courses and 7 years since I had taken a science course of any kind, I was unable to take the April exam (I hadn't even finished reviewing the science). I finally finished reviewing and starting taking practice exams in the middle of July. I don't know how helpful my timeline is because I was pretty much only able to study on the weekends.

confewshz

Well, I've taken the test twice, in 8/97 and 8/01:

Aug97: 13-15v, 12ps, 14bs, O = 39O
Aug01: 11v, 13ps, 13bs, R = 37R

Aug97: Used my friends' Kaplan and PR books, AAMC exams, and class notes. Pretty much just read from cover to cover.
Aug01: Used my old notes from Aug97, used two random prep books from B&N.

Aug97: AAMC I,II,III, whatever came with Kaplan and PR.
Aug01: The tests in the two prep books.

Biology and Psychology (1998)
Computer Science (2002)

This has probably been recommended in the past, but I recommend taking the practice tests under real-test conditions. That is, on a practice day, I woke up at the time I would wake up on the day of the MCAT, got ready in the same way, etc., and found a quiet place to take the test for the whole day. I followed the exact time periods set for each section and for lunch.

Aug97: I started in June of that summer, studying maybe 2-3 hours, 3-5 days a week. Around the 1st of August, I started spending about 8hrs/day, 5days/wk in the library studying.

Aug01: I was taking two classes and working, so I had neither the time nor the inclination to study. I started studying around Aug 8, when my final project in my Java class was finished , and studied about 12hrs/day for a week and a half before the MCAT.

I felt much less prepared for the 2001 MCAT than for the 1997 one. I would discourage cramming for the MCAT if it's your first time.

Allan: after taking the MCAT the first time, did you decide against applying to med school, or did you apply and not get accepted? I am going to start panicking if a 39 isn't good enough to get into med school!

qweewq11:

I applied, but did not get accepted. The reason? I had barely a 3.0 in my bio/psych double major at Johns Hopkins, and I didn't have many EC's other than a few independent research projects, and no volunteer activities. My personal statement was awful.

So don't fret, I was just a 39 with some research at Hopkins med school and not much more. (Kung Fu club? Comic book club? What was I thinking?! ;))

I did not deserve to get in, and that's what happened.

Aug01: 11v, 13ps, 13bs, Q = 37Q

2/3/4) The study method used for each section /materials used/practice tests taken:

I took a TPR course over the summer, which was critical because I tend to procrastinate a way too much, and this forced me to spend several hours, several times a week studying. These classes are ridiculously expensive, and you can buy a set fo used books with all the material they will cover, so if you're very self-motivated, save 1000 bucks and skip the class. I'm not sure I would have broken 30 without the structure the class provided, so it was a worthwhile investment for me. I listened carefully in class, read the entire science workbook they gave me, and then spent the two weeks before the MCAT cramming, until I knew every fact on the Kaplan flashcards and the science review cold. I started in June with a 26, and took the PR practice tests and last AAMC test, with scores something like 26, 30, 30, 36.

Psych

The practice tests always went a lot faster than the real thing, since no time was spent on all the administrative stuff. Do at least one or two tests over the length of the typical MCAT day (i.e. until 5, not 3:30) to build stamina. Do not eat rich, creamy, tiramisu with your lunch!

Went to clases starting in June, mayeb 2-3 out of class hours/week studying. Studied like hell for the last two weeks!

11 VR, 13 PS, R writing, 13 BS, = 37R

VR-set a time limit for each passage (~9 min) and after that move on, then maybe come back. do the science passages before the humanities ones if you're a bio major when doing mocks. READ A LOT, and FAST
PS-look at 1/5th of the material everyday monday to friday, repetition is the key
Writing- Write an essay or two every couple of days under timed conditions. list of topics found on announcement and on website.
BS-same as above

Just the Kaplan Book and the AAMC materials

all of the AAMCs, 4,5, and 6 were especially useful, as were the practice items.

Biology (wrote it after my 2nd year)

don't let the damn thing intimidate you, after all it's only a test. take the two days off right before it and get outside or play videogames/watch tv, to give your brain a much needed break. It'll really relax you (won't work for everyone).

6 weeks, more or less 6-7 hours a day, 6 days a week. I was fried by the end of it.

THANK YOU GUYS, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THIS ALL MEANS TO EVERYONE HERE.

I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A INCLUDE ONE MORE QUESTION.

WHAT UNIVERSITY DID YOU GRADUATE FROM???

THANKS ONCE AGAIN.

Hey Chica,
How does one pronounce the name of that Latin singer Thalia?

Is it "TALLl-ya," or "Ta-LEE-ya"
:)

13V, 13P, 14B, T, 40C on the Aug 2002 MCAT.

Read through study books twice for each section, took detailed notes on everything I didn't feel I knew well, read those notes twice, highlighted everything I still felt I didn't know well, and grilled those until I felt decent. That was all done from 2.5 months before to 1 month before. I then started taking practice tests, and filled in info I missed on the tests from books and notes. For Verbal and writing, I just relied on reading a fair amount and the practice tests.

I borrowed a Kaplan big review book from one friend and borrowed all the Kaplan review individual books from another. I found it very useful to cut pages out and paste them in my own personal notes.

MCAT 3 - 6, kaplan practice tests, all borrowed from people.

Anthropology & Religious Studies

I found it very useful to get the hardcore studying in before i took any tests, and then filling in missed info after tests was key. I would also strongly advise stopping all practice testing about a week before, and a couple of days before, get plenty of sleep and RELAX!!! The idea is to solidly have the info incorporated well before the test and use the last few days to refresh yourself on formulas, names, and whatnot - don't majorly cram and stress right before the test, as it is entirely counterproductive. And DEFINITELY don't pull out your flash cards at the test - people will make fun of you :), and more importantly, the one extra fact you have an iota of a chance of looking up right before you see it on the test is not worth the extra stress you are causing yourself by not taking the breaks to relax.

I would not recommend taking a course, b/c if you are resourceful and disciplined, you can save yourself $1500. But, if you know that you need someone to take care of the discipline for you, then the money may be worth it. I personally did the studying while working a 40 hour a week job, and while it was a pretty miserable summer, it is definitely do-able. SO spend the cash if you feel you need to, but otherwise I think the main thing the courses offer is structure, and if you can do it on your own, don't waste the money - as ffar as materials go, there are a lot of pre-meds out there, and most of them are more than happy to get rid of their materials once they are done with the exam. I also thought that the Kaplan tests were convoluted (sp?) and not very representative of the MCAT itself - I think the MCAT practice tests were the way to go, and much more helpful than the Kaplan. The MCAT is not as out to trick you as the Kaplan people seem to think.

2.5 months, all the time, unfortunately. I have a 40 minute commute on the T, and I studied every day.

Good luck everybody - fight the pre-med instinct to stress, and if you have any more specific q's about study strategies, feel free to drop me a line - I'm a tutor, and despite the cutthroat attitude of some, I'm much more interested in helping people out with this you-know-what-ing test.

10 Vr
11 PS
11 BS
Q (up from a 27Q in april)
Took Kaplan course for the April test

VR- used PR 2002 prep books, and went over my old Kaplan stuff..also used the practice tests that came with my PR materials

PS- I used the PR 2002 books again, and also used Nova's Physics book. Both really helped and prepared me. Did tons and tons and tons and then even more practice tests.

BS- Used PR again, along with Kaplan, and revisited my old cell bio and molec bio books. in hindsight, the biochem book i'm using now (voet, voet, and pratt--i'm taking it this semester) probably would have helped a lot, too, but it worked out fine

Kaplan 1-5, all of the PR practice passages, PR practice tests A-D, old AAMC materials.

Cell/Molecular Biology with a minor in Sociology..but I've taken a buttload of English classes, and that totally helped me with the writing sample.

Study, study, study...it is a miserable time in your life..all you do is study while your friends have fun, but trust me--in the end, when you get that first (and hopefully more!) acceptance letter, it is COMPLETELY WORTH IT! and don't let anyone tell you you can't pull your score up..you definitely can. I re-took this august, and it's october, and i already have an acceptance

I feel as though I began my freshman year, what with all the bio and chem stuff thrown at me right away..but in truth, I began studying in Jan. for the April exam, and in early June for the Aug. exam..about 5-6 hours, at least 5-6 days a week.

gosh..you guys did well on this test.

Congratulation to all of you..even it's late...but still :)

Hello everyone,

9V, 12P, 13B, WS L: 34L

V-Kaplan review, read Atlantic Monthly, the New Yorker, etc
P-Read an entire physics book and solved 100's of problems, Kaplan
B-Read an entire bio book, Kaplan

see above

Kaplan I thru V, AAMC VI (only PS)

Chemistry

Don't procrastinate, have a study schedule and set daily goals so that you don't get behind.

Sept-Dec 3-4 hrs/day
Jan-Apr 4-5 hrs/day

confewshz

31Q

11 V 10 P 10 B WS Q

Verbal - Practiced with the maximum volume of study materials I could find. Get used to reading quickly, the key is practice. I also found that reading the passages with the intent of immersing myself in them helped greatly. This helped the most on the really obsure passages which I think are the key to getting a good score.

Physical - Reviewed lots of concepts in textbooks and concentrated on Kaplan 1-5/6 tests, and AAMC 2-6. The upper level Kaplan tests 6 and higher (12 by now) are simply misleading in their demand for rigorous equations. The amount of computation on those tests are that which you just won't find on the MCAT. I also used a buddy's Princeton notes which were a little better. Strike a balance.

Biology - Reviewed old O-chem flashcards and took a Biochem course over the summer before the August test which helped synthesize my O-chem and Biology quite a bit.

Kaplan. See above.

Kaplan. See above.

Mathematics

Relax and be excited at the chance to show what you know. (try not to be nervous, there's no advantage to it :) ) No matter how you think it will help, don't study the day prior. See a movie, relax, and try to get some sleep.

Standard Kaplan summer course, with roughly 6 hour days. I would recommend starting earlier (Jan) by reviewing concepts and ideas before you feel a time crunch. Also, if you take a prep course with practice tests, do the whole test including the writing sample to get the feel of the day. I saw some people blowing off the writing sample and I think their scores suffered. Take as many practice tests (besides the standard Kaplan Saturday tests) as possible after you think you're about 60-70% prepared on all the basic material. (i.e. if you haven't seen O-chem in 3 years taking a practice test only verifies what you don't know, and doesn't teach you much). Make sure to go over all your answers, correct or incorrect. This is the best learning experience since you may have got a question right for the wrong reasons.

Thanks everyone for your great advice. I now know how to most effectively structure my MCAT study schedule. Have fun everyone.

confewshz

I saw some people blowing off the writing sample and I think their scores suffered.

The MCAT is an enigma. I didn't prepare for the writing sample at all and made an S.

12V 12P Q 10B

Studied kaplan review books and did practice Qs.. took TONS of practice tests.

For review... mostly Kaplan.

Like... all of them! All of Kaplans... all of PRs and all but the first 3 AAMC.

Math

I recorded how many hours I studied (I think this is REALLY important) and made it a goal to study at least 200hrs before test day. I started three months before and tried to study 3-6 hours a day, everyday. In the end I studied like 220hrs.

see above

I'm disturbing the flow in this. But how in the jebbus do you guys have the time be studying 3-4 hrs a day? I volunteer, work, research, have just three classes, TA.. and I don't know if I have 3-4 hours to spare a week.

Did you guys take some time off from school?

Originally posted by Freakingzooming
I'm disturbing the flow in this. But how in the jebbus do you guys have the time be studying 3-4 hrs a day? I volunteer, work, research, have just three classes, TA.. and I don't know if I have 3-4 hours to spare a week.

Did you guys take some time off from school?

Its all about making priorities and sticking to them. I've had to cut down on some ECs that I really enjoy, workout less, maybe not sleep as much....its all about sacrificing and compromising your time for what's most important. Just gotta keep thinking of the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

Originally posted by lady bug
Its all about making priorities and sticking to them. I've had to cut down on some ECs that I really enjoy, workout less, maybe not sleep as much....its all about sacrificing and compromising your time for what's most important. Just gotta keep thinking of the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

But yo, don't you feel sorta lost at the same time? all this studying, hard work, and you're even guaranteed a 1 in 4 chance of getting in? Med school is like the show biz, you can do the right things, have the Asian work ethic, have the right attitude.. but you really don't have a guaranteed chance of succeeding?

Am I'm the only one disappointed in the possibiltiies?

I devoted basically all of last summer to the MCAT, but I felt it was worth it even before I got the scores. I was taking introductory bio at the same time, and it was the easiest A+ ever, since I was learning all the material for the MCAT anyway. To be an optimist, I felt studying for the test was a great overview of the undergraduate coursework and that I learned a lot of the subjects better a second time through. Also, I think most posters would agree that becoming a doctor is worth the effort.

Anyway, as for the rest of my info...

12 V, 14 P, 13 B = 39R

Verbal studying: I read A LOT and did practice problems. I work pretty fast, so I never timed myself, but I can see how that would be helpful.
Science studying: I reviewed through the class lectures (didn't read the books much) and did lots of practice problems.
Writing: I haven't seen too many people talk about writing, but I really tried to catch up on my current events - I listened to a lot of NPR on my commute. Practicing is harder, since it's difficult to grade yourself, but it definitely helped me.

Materials: I took the Princeton Review class, so I used their stuff. We also did some AAMC tests as part of the class.

Chemistry major at UC Berkeley

I studied three months before the test. I had three hours classtime per day and spent probably another 4-5 hours doing practice problems. I was working in a research lab, so I practiced during downtime, while my experiments were running or whatever. A couple weeks before the exam, I started doing problems in test-size chunks, just to get used to the format.

I can't say that prepping was fun, but I got into a routine, so it wasn't as bad as it sounds. I can't imagine doing it during the school year though - I guess just start early and stay focused. Good luck everyone. :)

Elizabeth

11V 12B 9P WN
32N

I read the reviews for each section, then did some (not many) practice passages.

I used the comprehensive Kaplan Review book for everything (but not the course)

The one that came in the Kaplan review book.

Microbiology

Do a whole lot of practice passages to get in tune with the style of questions they ask. Use common sense as much as possible when answering questions (don't outsmart yourself).

about 1.5 hours/day for 10 weeks. I don't think I studied enough, though. I'm doing a lot more practice problems this time.

Originally posted by soonerpillow

11V 12B 9P WN
32N

I'm doing a lot more practice problems this time.

This time? this time for what? You are retaking with a score like that? Can I have your old score?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I'm retaking.
I just love studying for that test. :D
like I said, I don't think I studied as much as I could have (i.e. I really do think I can do better.) and my score is a little below average for some of the schools I want to apply to. especially the Physical Sciences and Writing Sample.

I did the same thing in high school with the SATs and ACTs. I like to take them until I feel I've beaten them (into submission).

Oh, and sure, you can have my old score. :laugh: I'll just contact AAMC and have them transfer them to you. I'm sure they won't mind (although there will probably be a fee, for both of us :laugh: )

I'm actually from a planet where PV, in fact, does not equal nRT (we have negative temperatures (K), so if your ideal gas law was true, we would have negative volume). That's why the MCAT study material is just so darn fascinating.:laugh:

10v, 12p, 14b, S

I took 6 weeks off work during the summer and just did two subjects every day, like a hermit.

For all sections I just did a lot of passages and looked at answer keys THOROUGHLY to see where I went wrong. I took notes on mistakes I tended to make. For science sections (P, B) I read one TPR chapter, then did all corresponding passages. That way you nail the subject matter. Used college texts only to supplement stuff I didn't understand.

V- learned to circle key words, annotate
P- listed formulas on "study sheets" by topic
B- study sheets, wrote key ideas down (only the stuff I didn't already know), used old biochem flash cards to memorize amino acids
essay- looked at MCAT announcement book, chose prompts at random and wrote outlines (NOT entire essay, I didn't have time). Read the paper regularly/listened to NPR.

TPR, see above

TPR

bio

nah. If you're slacking even now, stop everything else you're doing and hit the passages! Forget the prep course texts.

6 weeks, 12 hrs/day w/breaks.

good luck!

34-36 Q

13-15 V 10 P 11 B WS Q

Verbal - didn't study verbal. just completed verbal section of practice tests. but i'm weird. i liked the sat.

Physical - cried a lot. i still don't really get physics and chem. i was completing prereqs at the time, so that might have helped. but a week before the test, i was still getting 7 on physical practice test. i went to blockbuster, rented a lot of movies i had seen before, and made hundreds and hundreds of flashcards. i spent hours just sitting there and going through them. or i took walks and looked through them. a few days before the test, i took practice test and was ok. i just needed to memorize!!

Biology - read through the kaplan book. i am a bio major. i was completing orgo prereq at the time also.

Kaplan mcat comprehensive book. i also bought their online thing (science edge?) but almost immediately returned it. not worth $$.
and used the AAMC tests. they *are* worth the $$!
oh and i bought an arco(?) test book. it was ok.

Kaplan and bought AAMC tests.

molecular bio and political science

you gotta find your individual study strategy. everyone is different.

ooh- and one thing i forgot to anticipate was not being able to fall asleep the night before! i was so nervous! so it might have helped if i had planned for that and slept a lot the previous nite, or gone to bed super super early.

2.5 months, about 1 hour each day and then took practice tests on weekends sometimes . to be honest, i really should have studied a lot more. i have a really short attention span. . .
the week before the test i put in more like 3-4 hours a day.

hehe. . . just thought i'd share my story. . .goes to show everyone really is different. goood luck!!! can't wait to see the april mcaters sharing their own success tips in a few months :)

11V 13B 13P

I bought one of those giant MCAT review books, and cut it into the individual subject sections to make carrying it more manageable. I read through the each section, and then went back and read it again while taking notes. Then I reviewed the notes.

I think it was Kaplan

Just the ones at the end of the subject matter sections.

Chemistry and Philosophy

Study a couple hours at a time, don't try and cram everything in at once, and practice test taking if you have problems with standardized tests.

~2 hours a night for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.