A psychiatrist specializing in therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mosoly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just signed up to the forums a couple minutes ago, because I have this burning doubt for a couple of months now.
First of all, a few things about me. I'm 22, I studied bioengineering for 2 years now and I decided to leave it all behind, because I want to deal with people. I always wanted to be a doctor/physician, though sadly, I didn't really have the right drive/motivation. This changed in october for some reason. I just can't get the idea out of my head, and I really don't even want to. I feel like it is time for me to move on from this state of being and actually do what I want without questioning myself at every corner.

Now, I think it might be important to point out that I'm from Eastern Europe, which likely means that our educational system is vastly different than what any of you experienced, so for that reason I'm not going to ask you about things like "How do I apply to scholarship" or "How long does it take to get my PhD?"

My question is: Can you have a successful carreer as a psychiatrist whose main focus is therapy, with as little medication as possible? I have nothing against medication when it is neccessary, but based on what I've seen in our mental institutions, there is barely any condition that doesn't get treated with pills off the bat.

Sorry for my lack of understanding and the fact that I quite possibly have no idea what I speak of, but I just want to know if I can pursue the path of the psychiatrist, who spends entire sessions with a patient?

I am willing to elaborate on my situation if neccessary, and I would be happy to read all answers.
Thanks in advance for all your help!

Regards,
Adam

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you can. Psychiatrists know a lot more therapy than others think. The ACGME and board certification require training and competency in multiple forms of therapy. Our training is very standardized, and this is a good thing.
It is up to the psychiatrist how they choose to practice.
It is nice to have a choice!
And we do!
Good question.
Thanks for posting.

Reactions: 1 user
Training in Psychiatry will teach you when and when not to use medications. While you will certainly see cases when medications are not indicated, the bulk of your referrals will need medications.

Anything mild and not psychiatrically related will most likely end up in the hands of school counselors and therapists. ie. person broke up with significant other, aunt Mary passed away...

Despite all the negative press medications receive to supposedly "treat life", when you see medications restore cognitive functions and see patients manipulate information more rationally in therapy, disengage from fixated negative thoughts that were previously untouchable from therapy alone, or even see those capacities restore without the patient needing therapy is pretty remarkable.

I am all for therapy. I also offer it in my private practice and enjoy it more so than med management but I try not to let it affect my judgment when medication management alone or in combination should be the primary treatment.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify, do you want to be a psychiatrist or psychologist? You mentioned you wouldn't ask questions, such as how to get a PhD, but you also mentioned wanting to be a physician.

I don't know how it is in Eastern Europe, but in the US, psychologists (who do not prescribe medication and who provide various types of therapy) have PhDs or PsyDs (doctorates of philosophy or psychology). Psychiatrists (who can prescribe medication and can also provide therapy) have MDs (doctorate of medicine).

These are often conflated in popular media. I don't mean to be pedantic, but thought I'd mention just because it's a common confusion.

Thanks for all the answers so far. You make me feel hopeful :)

Just to clarify, do you want to be a psychiatrist or psychologist? You mentioned you wouldn't ask questions, such as how to get a PhD, but you also mentioned wanting to be a physician.

I don't know how it is in Eastern Europe, but in the US, psychologists (who do not prescribe medication and who provide various types of therapy) have PhDs or PsyDs (doctorates of philosophy or psychology). Psychiatrists (who can prescribe medication and can also provide therapy) have MDs (doctorate of medicine).

These are often conflated in popular media. I don't mean to be pedantic, but thought I'd mention just because it's a common confusion.

I want to be a psychiatrist who specializes in therapy and uses therapy as his main tool. Medication is fine, when needed, but I would like to focus on therapy.

In Europe, or at least where I live, psychologists don't get a PhD when they finish their studies, they have to continue their studies for 2-3 more years if I remember correctly. Many of them earn their Bachelor's degree and start practicing right away without considering PhD.

As a physician, you don't get a MD either, but you get the title of "Dr." regardless. After that you can continue your studies (and you have to) and when you are finished you get your MD and another title.

Basically if someone finishes all his training here, he will have 2 titles.
So if Marie Curie would finish all his studies here, her name would change to "Dr. Dr. Marie Curie."
If he simply finished the basic training, she would be "Dr. Marie Curie", but everyone would know that she doesn't have the MD yet, and everyone would expect her to go and get it.

I might be wrong, because the university of medicine tends to do everything differently here, but based on what I've learned from my friends, that's how it works.

Hey guys.
I'm sorry to revive this thread, but if someone is interested, I will let them know, that I decided that I will become a social worker instead. I still can become a therapist that way, and that is what I was always really interested in. I was afraid to admit this to myself, because my parents didn't even want to hear about me becoming a social worker. I wasted 5 years in order to please them, and studied stuff, that I don't really care about.
But I have only this one opportunity at life, and I must take a path of my own choosing. I am sorry if this comment upsets anyone.

Have a nice day.

Reactions: 3 users
Glad that things worked out.

Just one thing I'd like to clarify in case future people are reading this thread. I know that this probably isn't what the OP meant, but to prevent confusion, the idea of "I think mental illness should be treated with therapy first" is flawed because "mental illness" isn't a singular entity. A doctor's job is to figure out what a patient needs and treat accordingly. Some patients don't need medications, some do. Some psychiatrists do nearly 100% psychotherapy, but those doctors will still usually recognize when a patient needs primarily medication management, and will refer accordingly. It is important for therapy-oriented psychologists/social workers to have the same knowledge - don't try to treat bipolar disorder or schizophrenia without medications, except for exceptional circumstances.

Reactions: 1 users
Being a social worker is a noble profession and a valuable asset to the treatment of mental illness. Good luck and make sure to visit the social work sub-forums to chat with the others going down that path.

Reactions: 2 users