AACPMAS 2015-2016 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I send my LoRs to schools through Interfolio before my app is verified? Will they get them?

Members don't see this ad.

I did not do the optional diversity essay and I've already submitted my applications so it won't let me go back and do it. But yea, I didn't wanna do it anyway. As for the "shadowing/healthcare hours" you can still upload those files after you submit the app, but I just don't know what they want. I did put my shadowing experience under Supporting Information>Experiences so all of the schools should be able to see it. I don't see why they would need an extra document when there was already room for that elsewhere in the application.
I did the "optional" diversity essay. I visited Scholl a couple months ago and the woman from admissions told me that it would say that it is optional, but you should definitely write it. So take that how you want to, but I would write it.

Reactions: 1 users
Can I send my LoRs to schools through Interfolio before my app is verified? Will they get them?

I got this directly from KSUCPM website. Hope it helps.

"You may send letters of recommendation through Interfolio or Virtual Evals or mail directly to KSUCPM. An applicant may send these letters prior to submitting his or her application through AACPMAS. "

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got this directly from KSUCPM website. Hope it helps.

"You may send letters of recommendation through Interfolio or Virtual Evals or mail directly to KSUCPM. An applicant may send these letters prior to submitting his or her application through AACPMAS. "
Thanks!

Another LoR question: Is there an ID I have to associate myself with on Interfolio?? Or does aacpmas not deal with all that since it's going straight to schools?

I did the "optional" diversity essay. I visited Scholl a couple months ago and the woman from admissions told me that it would say that it is optional, but you should definitely write it. So take that how you want to, but I would write it.

I also wrote it also, but you cannot go back to update or add the essays, I think.

Another LoR question: Is there an ID I have to associate myself with on Interfolio?? Or does aacpmas not deal with all that since it's going straight to schools?
You can associate it with the CAS ID at the top right of your AACPMAS web application. Not necessary, but if it might help the process along at all or prevent a mixup, I'll do it. Especially if you have a common name, it might help them attach it to your application quicker.

I think I saw something on this thread earlier about Scholl not accepting LoR through Interfolio, but I was able to do it. Just letting you guys know, but I may have misread that part of the thread idk.

I think I saw something on this thread earlier about Scholl not accepting LoR through Interfolio, but I was able to do it. Just letting you guys know, but I may have misread that part of the thread idk.
I couldn't send to Arizona or CSPM electronically through Interfolio.

I couldn't send to Arizona or CSPM electronically through Interfolio.

You could have sent it via Interfolio though right? Just have interfolio send a paper version to the address you provide.

Did anyone attend any internships this past year? Were you able to interview?

You could have sent it via Interfolio though right? Just have interfolio send a paper version to the address you provide.
Yup! That's what I did. Had Interfolio mail them to CSPM and email them to Arizona.

l attended an internahip at temple and i had the option to interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my apps. Now I just have to wait for one last letter of recommendation and then take the MCATs in September.

1 diversity essay to go before i submit...
This took WAY longer than i thought it would :lame:

I know right? That was such a loaded question. Did you ending up sending a personal statement to Kent State?

How will you know when your MCAT scores have been received? Will it post to the program status section? The FAQ are useless.

I'm a little confused about the additional documents some of the schools need. For example does Kent State want another personal statement? :eek:

I'm a little confused about the additional documents some of the schools need. For example does Kent State want another personal statement? :eek:
I literally took my PS I had in the word file and uploaded it for Kent. I'm not writing a second PS lol.

Anyone know if they care for facial hair during interview? I was thinking short, and trimmed hair. Mine isn't patchy or anything, though.

Anyone know if they care for facial hair during interview? I was thinking short, and trimmed hair. Mine isn't patchy or anything, though.
I would go with no. As much as I would like to try that out myself, I'm just not willing to roll the dice on that one.

Does anyone have transcripts that have been received yet? Too soon?

Hey ya'll- for your personal statements, did you provide citations? For example, I'm including some statistics re: diabetes and I've used footnotes in Microsoft word, but the AACPM app only allows copy/paste into a text box. Not sure how I should format citations. I don't feel comfortable blindly throwing around stats.

Hey ya'll- for your personal statements, did you provide citations? For example, I'm including some statistics re: diabetes and I've used footnotes in Microsoft word, but the AACPM app only allows copy/paste into a text box. Not sure how I should format citations. I don't feel comfortable blindly throwing around stats.

I have no clue honestly. I feel like personal statements don't normally include statistics.

Now that I think of it, I've never seen a personal statement with citations either. I think the personal statement is supposed to be a mini biography of you. Instead of throwing stats around I'd just try to stick with talking about yourself and your pathway to podiatry

I have no clue honestly. I feel like personal statements don't normally include statistics.

Now that I think of it, I've never seen a personal statement with citations either. I think the personal statement is supposed to be a mini biography of you. Instead of throwing stats around I'd just try to stick with talking about yourself and your pathway to podiatry

I agree. Never saw or heard of anyone using citations. I would make a vague statement such as "diabetes is a growing epidemic in the U.S."

Reactions: 2 users
I agree. Never saw or heard of anyone using citations. I would make a vague statement such as "diabetes is a growing epidemic in the U.S."

I simply state that there are 29 million diabetics in the US, I feel it's important to state the number rather than just "millions". I guess I'll just state it and let the citation slide.

I simply state that there are 29 million diabetics in the US, I feel it's important to state the number rather than just "millions". I guess I'll just state it and let the citation slide.
You could just do an informal citation, like "according to the CDC there are nearly 29 million diabetics in the U.S.A."...

You could just do an informal citation, like "according to the CDC there are nearly 29 million diabetics in the U.S.A."...

That's a good idea. If you want to include that statistic I'd do that

I don't take my MCAT until September 3rd, so I'm stressing about that more than the actual application. So does anyone know if it's better to just submit everything regardless if MCAT scores are available yet? To me it seems like it would expedite the process regardless if the schools will even look at it. I plan on applying to Temple, DMU, Kent, and then torn between AZPOD and Scholl.

I don't take my MCAT until September 3rd, so I'm stressing about that more than the actual application. So does anyone know if it's better to just submit everything regardless if MCAT scores are available yet? To me it seems like it would expedite the process regardless if the schools will even look at it. I plan on applying to Temple, DMU, Kent, and then torn between AZPOD and Scholl.

Submit everything and report the score when you get it. Google search the "AACPMAS Traffic Rules" Section II #4 and #5. It basically says that you can be invited to an interview as long as your application is verified, but you cannot be accepted to a school unless you have an official MCAT score.

Submit everything and report the score when you get it. Google search the "AACPMAS Traffic Rules" Section II #4 and #5. It basically says that you can be invited to an interview as long as your application is verified, but you cannot be accepted to a school unless you have an official MCAT score.
Thank you!

So I e-mailed AACPMAS last week asking how we will now if our MCAT results have been received, and have gotten no response yet. Does anyone know where it will show up as received? I had my scores sent out on Aug 5th.

whats the difference between interfolio and virtual evals? and is there one that schools prefer?

So I e-mailed AACPMAS last week asking how we will now if our MCAT results have been received, and have gotten no response yet. Does anyone know where it will show up as received? I had my scores sent out on Aug 5th.
If you follow this link, log in, go to My Reports > Scores Sent To Institutions you can at least see from AAMC's end that they were sent.
https://apps.aamc.org/account/#/login?gotoUrl=https://services.aamc.org/30/scoreReportingWeb/

AACPM says it takes at least a week after they receive your scores before they are attached to your application (I just asked them last week), so I wouldn't be too worried yet. I also sent mine on the 5th and have no idea if it's been attached to my application yet. Although last year I applied VERY late in the cycle to two schools and somehow they saw my MCAT score before it was even verified and they began contacting me, not for interviews but just to tell me to stay on top of AACPMAS about my application since it was so late in the cycle. They said they could see my MCAT score but that it still hadn't been verified yet by AACPMAS, kind weird. Anyway, I don't remember there being a specific place in the e-application where it shows that your MCAT score has been received, I plan to just call them sometime this week. AACPMAS is very slow about emails and some of mine they've just outright ignored. If you call you'll be on hold for maybe 10 minutes, but they're very helpful and you'll get the answers you want.

whats the difference between interfolio and virtual evals? and is there one that schools prefer?
I haven't used Virtual Eval, but according to this chart Interfolio is accepted by more schools. But...this chart is out of date since CSPM and AZPod aren't accepting electronic Interfolio LORs this cycle.

Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 10.17.22 AM.png

As far as I know though, the schools have no preference, as long as they have assurance that you don't know the contents of the letters. Interfolio provides that assurance and I'm sure Virtual Evals does to, since LORs are sent directly to that company and then directly to the schools and you can manage the LORs but cannot view them. Alternatively you could just have your recommenders or your school (if they're making a packet) send the letters straight to each school. The schools aren't gonna choose someone else over you because of the format you submitted the letters in, they're gonna judge everyone on the content of the letters.

For what it's worth though, I've used Interfolio for all of mine and it's very user friendly. There is a $6.00 fee to send each LOR and they can be sent electronically if the school is set up for that or they can be emailed or just mailed by Interfolio to a school that's not setup for electronic delivery. There is also a fee of something like $20/year to maintain your account. I think Interfolio or Virtual Evals have the huge advantage of storing your LORs. That way, if you need to send to additional schools later in the cycle or reapply next cycle you won't have to bother your recommenders or your undergraduate institution again, you can just send the LORs wherever you want whenever you want.

I haven't used Virtual Eval, but according to this chart Interfolio is accepted by more schools. But...this chart is out of date since CSPM and AZPod aren't accepting electronic Interfolio LORs this cycle.

View attachment 195120
As far as I know though, the schools have no preference, as long as they have assurance that you don't know the contents of the letters. Interfolio provides that assurance and I'm sure Virtual Evals does to, since LORs are sent directly to that company and then directly to the schools and you can manage the LORs but cannot view them. Alternatively you could just have your recommenders or your school (if they're making a packet) send the letters straight to each school. The schools aren't gonna choose someone else over you because of the format you submitted the letters in, they're gonna judge everyone on the content of the letters.

For what it's worth though, I've used Interfolio for all of mine and it's very user friendly. There is a $6.00 fee to send each LOR and they can be sent electronically if the school is set up for that or they can be emailed or just mailed by Interfolio to a school that's not setup for electronic delivery. There is also a fee of something like $20/year to maintain your account. I think Interfolio or Virtual Evals have the huge advantage of storing your LORs. That way, if you need to send to additional schools later in the cycle or reapply next cycle you won't have to bother your recommenders or your undergraduate institution again, you can just send the LORs wherever you want whenever you want.
Dude, you have been super helpful with all of this. Thanks for all the detailed responses to the questions!

Dude, you have been super helpful with all of this. Thanks for all the detailed responses to the questions!
No problem. Since I applied last week I spend every extra minute I have thinking of all of this anyway, lol. :xf:

Submitted four of the apps last night, and I'm submitting all of them aside from Scholl (writing the diversity essay tomorrow) tonight. I just put under my four hours of podiatric experience that I have already scheduled continued shadowing with the podiatrist. For the logs we have to submit for certain schools do they need to be super detailed or just: the date, duration, and a short summary for that date?

For the logs we have to submit for certain schools do they need to be super detailed or just: the date, duration, and a short summary for that date?
Who knows, they haven't been very specific about it. Anyway, from what everybody says it's about the quality of the shadowing rather than the quantity. I don't see why they would need a super specific breakdown of it since there isn't even a mandatory minimum number of hours required. I put my Podiatry shadowing experience under "Podiatric Experience" elsewhere in the app and that does include the dates, total hours, and a brief summary. I didn't upload anything to the optional Podiatry shadowing sections some of the schools have. If they ask for it later, like at an interview or something, I can scrabble something together but I don't have anything made up for it and I don't even know what they want. But that's just me.

If any of y'all find specifics of what they want on these can you let us know?

Who knows, they haven't been very specific about it. Anyway, from what everybody says it's about the quality of the shadowing rather than the quantity. I don't see why they would need a super specific breakdown of it since there isn't even a mandatory minimum number of hours required. I put my Podiatry shadowing experience under "Podiatric Experience" elsewhere in the app and that does include the dates, total hours, and a brief summary. I didn't upload anything to the optional Podiatry shadowing sections some of the schools have. If they ask for it later, like at an interview or something, I can scrabble something together but I don't have anything made up for it and I don't even know what they want. But that's just me.

If any of y'all find specifics of what they want on these can you let us know?

The podiatrist I was shadowing sent his confidential LOR to Interfolio and another copy to me, so I just uploaded that. If I didn't have that, I probably would have left it blank as well.

The podiatrist I was shadowing sent his confidential LOR to Interfolio and another copy to me, so I just uploaded that. If I didn't have that, I probably would have left it blank as well.
Is it confidential if he sent it to you?

The application is asking for CV/Resume. How important is it to make one and upload. I have one but it is not updated.

Is it confidential if he sent it to you?
I thought the same thing originally, but I think the schools just want a sealed copy that hasn't had the chance to be altered by the student, and he did that by submitting his sealed/confidential copy via Interfolio. He just sent me an additional copy so I knew what was in it. I'm pretty sure that they don't care if I have had a chance to read it. If they do, then I might have shot myself in the foot there.
But to answer your question, no it would not be confidential if I read it.

The application is asking for CV/Resume. How important is it to make one and upload. I have one but it is not updated.
Once again, who knows...it is optional after all. I figure it's a good way to show off extra things that might not have fit quite so well into the e-application, for instance that I'm a member of the American Diabetes Association or Mensa, those aren't necessarily experiences that I can put an hourly value on, but they are organizations that I might donate to (ADA) or occasionally participate in (Mensa). It's also a good way to show any certifications or licensure you might have, again it would be kinda weird to put a CPR certification or anything else into the experiences section of the e-application, but it's fitting for a CV.

Anyway, if I didn't have any of that extra stuff I might not've uploaded a CV, but I did...so I did.

I thought the same thing originally, but I think the schools just want a sealed copy that hasn't had the chance to be altered by the student, and he did that by submitting his sealed/confidential copy via Interfolio. He just sent me an additional copy so I knew what was in it. I'm pretty sure that they don't care if I have had a chance to read it. If they do, then I might have shot myself in the foot there.
But to answer your question, no it would not be confidential if I read it.
Hmm...I get the sealed tamper proof sorta thing you're saying and I agree with that. In addition to that though I always assumed that the schools would want the LORs to be confidential and unread by the student. That way, the recommender could be totally honest about the student, good or bad. In this scenario the student wouldn't know which professors or professionals had written favorably or unfavorably about them and so couldn't cherry pick only the best letters to send to the schools. If the student can read all of their LORs then they can just get like 10 LORs and cherry pick the best 3 and the schools might feel that in that case they won't have a true, unedited perspective of the student, but rather the perspective that the student wants the schools to see and that kinda defeats the whole purpose of LORs because I can tell the schools how awesome I am all day, but they want to get the real scoop from unbiased sources. But...I'm not sure if I read that some where or just kinda made it up along the way...hopefully, for the sake of your foot, I just made it up...

Last edited:
Hmm...I get the sealed tamper proof sorta thing you're saying and I agree with that. In addition to that though I always assumed that the schools would want the LORs to be confidential and unread by the student. That way, the recommender could be totally honest about the student, good or bad. In this scenario the student wouldn't know which professors or professionals had written favorably or unfavorably about them and so couldn't cherry pick only the best letters to send to the schools. If the student can read all of their LORs then they can just get like 10 LORs and cherry pick the best 3 and the schools might feel that in that case they won't have a true, unedited perspective of the student, but rather the perspective that the student wants the schools to see and that kinda defeats the whole purpose of LORs because I can tell the schools how awesome I am all day, but they want to get the real scoop from unbiased sources. But...I'm not sure if I read that some where or just kinda made it up along the way...hopefully, for the sake of your foot, I just made it up...

No, I've heard that before and it's a very good point.
But for the sake of argument, I can't imagine a doc or prof writing a negative LOR for a student and then giving them a copy to see, that would be brutal.

Ooooooooor maybe I'm just trying to justify my actions to myself. Oh well, too late now.

I submitted all three of my transcripts on Aug 5th.
All three were received yesterday (Aug 17th).
All three were verified today (Aug 18th).

Wasn't expecting it to go that quickly!