Accepted student...need advice about quitting toxic job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think this is a big mistake. The two weeks may be rough, but there's a good chance you'll need them for a reference or that a future employer may call them for one. Learning to deal with it and work out your notice is the first step in your veterinary education. If you've only been there a short time, they may let you go immediately... But I'd at least offer to work the 2 weeks..
Yes, I will give notice. But do you think it needs to be exactly 2 weeks, or can it be slightly less in order to coincide with the end of the pay period?

Members don't see this ad.

I think 2 work weeks is fine. .

Okay! So even though I would be putting my notice in on a Monday, you think it would be okay to say that the Friday before the two weeks would technically be up is my last day would be alright?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
True. I will give notice then (although it won't be exactly 14 days, since I will line it up with the end of the pay period.) It would be about 10 days notice. Do you think that is more acceptable?.

I would offer 2 weeks. they will likely not have you work out those 2 weeks. But that's what *I* would do

Okay! So even though I would be putting my notice in on a Monday, you think it would be okay to say that the Friday before the two weeks would technically be up is my last day would be alright?.

Assuming you would normally be off next weekend, yes. If you're scheduled to work next weekend, you should offer to work through the weekend... but ask if they'd rather just have you work through the end of the pay period.

Assuming you would normally be off next weekend, yes. If you're scheduled to work next weekend, you should offer to work through the weekend... but ask if they'd rather just have you work through the end of the pay period..
Yes, I am off next weekend. Thank you everyone for your advice. I truly appreciate it, and I feel slightly better.

I gave my notice today at the end of my shift. I presented a letter of resignation, and he said "I was hoping to have you here until August, but if that's what you have to do, that's what you have to do." I don't think he seemed particularly angry (or any more angry than he usually seems), but who knows how he will treat me when I go into work for the rest of the time. Oh well...as long as he can't ruin my acceptance, I will deal with being treated badly for a few days! I am still slightly nervous about him attempting retribution, but I am just being paranoid. Thank you to all of you who gave me advice and shared you experiences with me- I truly appreciate it!

Reactions: 8 users
I gave my notice today at the end of my shift. I presented a letter of resignation, and he said "I was hoping to have you here until August, but if that's what you have to do, that's what you have to do." I don't think he seemed particularly angry (or any more angry than he usually seems), but who knows how he will treat me when I go into work for the rest of the time. Oh well...as long as he can't ruin my acceptance, I will deal with being treated badly for a few days! I am still slightly nervous about him attempting retribution, but I am just being paranoid. Thank you to all of you who gave me advice and shared you experiences with me- I truly appreciate it!

Whooo! Well done! :highfive: I felt the same way when I gave my 2 weeks. The only good thing was whenever clinic "craziness" ensued, I was considerably more relaxed and excited of the prospect of not having to deal with the shenanigans anymore. If he treats you any differently, kill him with kindness. Smile and be obscenely nice- the ball wont bounce back then, it will just fall flat. Well done standing up for yourself! :claps: Best of luck on your next endeavor!