Accepted students: what are your summer plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess the cruise lines don't advertise those prices very well (understandably I guess) because I couldn't find anything like that...

Well, try it and maybe prove me wrong. Find a specific cruise on a given date and then open up the cruise website and search for the same cruise, see if it's different. In my experience, it was always the same price, but you had to seek it out that way.

Members don't see this ad.

Reading all your plans makes me jealous. My big summer plans might involve buying a set of new tires. If I decide to get real crazy I might replace my windshield too!
I need to buy new tires too. On top of the new car battery I had to buy last month, and the almost $1000 I ended up owing in taxes this year, and that whole paying for vet school thing. :barf:

Well, try it and maybe prove me wrong. Find a specific cruise on a given date and then open up the cruise website and search for the same cruise, see if it's different. In my experience, it was always the same price, but you had to seek it out that way.
Yeah that's what I mean, I believe you it exists at that price, but if I just do a general search of cruises over those dates, the average prices are much higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on a blood thinner so I won't have to worry about paying for drinks because I'm not supposed to drink at all. Heh.

Also my boyfriend's parents are paying for everything because they have officially accepted me as one of their children :D

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah that's what I mean, I believe you it exists at that price, but if I just do a general search of cruises over those dates, the average prices are much higher.

Yep. It's dumb. But my point was - I figured that buying through Royal Caribbean themselves would warrant me a little bit more leeway on things, so I would use V2G as my search engine and then book through the line.

Reactions: 1 user
While vacationstogo is a legit site, you can find the same price on cruises through the cruise line websites. It's like kayak or something - just makes it easier to search.

I have been on... at least 5 cruises. Never got sick, always had a good time. Just got tired of the usual stops and the predictable food.
I felt the same after one cruise, but I also didn't have money for drinking/extras while sitting on the ship. I'd be interested in a longer, more 'world traveler' type of cruise instead of the usual Caribbean stuff. It's definitely true that cruising is an easy vacation (well, for us anyways). Having done Paris now, it was definitely a busy and non-relaxing trip.

How did you like it? Did you go to London as well?
We didn't end up having time for London other than my layover (where I also lost about 90% of my carry-on liquids because they have a sandwich-bag sized limit and I had no idea...). I liked it, but it got a little more stressful after the Brussels attack. We were seeing tons of officers walking the streets with semi-automatic rifle-type guns in their hands and police cars racing everywhere. Bomb dogs walking up and down the metro stations as well.

I'll admit that I was disappointed in the city overall since it's always so romanticized on TV and by people who have already been. It's nothing more than a big dirty city with a lot of amazing history and monuments, lol. It also was just a crappy time of year to go since it was cold and nothing was in bloom yet, but it was the most affordable/only time we could do this. My favorite part was Versailles for sure, even over Disneyland Paris.

Well... it's a big dirty city within the scope of things but compared to some other cities I always thought it was good. Also, theres never really a perfect time to go to England, its grey and raining all the time just about. You do need a few days to enjoy it though, and staying in a nice area is also a bonus. Don't mind me though :).
I loved the countryside of the netherlands best when I was traveling. So nice!

I felt the same after one cruise, but I also didn't have money for drinking/extras while sitting on the ship. I'd be interested in a longer, more 'world traveler' type of cruise instead of the usual Caribbean stuff. It's definitely true that cruising is an easy vacation (well, for us anyways). Having done Paris now, it was definitely a busy and non-relaxing trip.

It's cheap and it's easy and it certainly has good parts. We did an 8 day cruise on a big, new ship in December (2010?), a bit off-season. The cruise for 2 plus the airfare came to just under $2k total. That's damn cheap for a 1 week vacation, and left plenty for a couple drinks a day, a visit to the spa, things like that.

I find now that I like the food to be better, and I like having more choice. And less bingo is also ideal. So cruises aren't our go-to thing anymore.

We have a trip to Puerto Rico coming up - we don't usually do beachy things, but this trip is free as a bonus from husband's company. It's gonna be a bit crazy... the place is like $1500/night normally. No way we would be doing that at this point in time. We can get an AirBnB in Portland for like $1100 a WEEK, and then the rest of the $ goes to food. But it'll be nice to try the cushy resort thing out. The place looks like this...

the-ritz-carlton-reserve.jpg

No complaints. ;) We get a free spa day and a cave river kayak excursion of some sort as well.

Reactions: 5 users
Well... it's a big dirty city within the scope of things but compared to some other cities I always thought it was good. Also, theres never really a perfect time to go to England, its grey and raining all the time just about. You do need a few days to enjoy it though, and staying in a nice area is also a bonus. Don't mind me though :).
I loved the countryside of the netherlands best when I was traveling. So nice!
Luckily, we didn't have any rain until our very last day which was just us making it to the airport. It was really windy and about 40 degrees the entire time. Tolerable, except I had my facial moisturizer tossed at Heathrow and the wind was killing my face.

CRUISE IS BOOKED!!!

We found a cheap 7-day Carnival cruise, and an amazing flight deal. I am so excited this is finally happening! The next two months are going to be a literal countdown. :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Now to start the "how do I lose 20 pounds in 60 days" diet

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking to take a trip at the end of July before classes start and I've never been to the Caribbean, so I'd like to go there. I'm trying to find a place that has the "classic" beach, but also has cool hiking in rainforest-type areas. I've heard this is an impossibility, because the types of islands that have rainforests have dark, rocky beaches, and the type with great beaches are too dry to support a rainforest. Does anyone know of an island that has both (or an acceptable approximation of both)? Good scuba-diving, cool landscapes, and lots of interesting flora/fauna are also big pluses for me (not interested in resorts or really touristy places).

I'm looking to take a trip at the end of July before classes start and I've never been to the Caribbean, so I'd like to go there. I'm trying to find a place that has the "classic" beach, but also has cool hiking in rainforest-type areas. I've heard this is an impossibility, because the types of islands that have rainforests have dark, rocky beaches, and the type with great beaches are too dry to support a rainforest. Does anyone know of an island that has both (or an acceptable approximation of both)? Good scuba-diving, cool landscapes, and lots of interesting flora/fauna are also big pluses for me (not interested in resorts or really touristy places).
Skip the island idea and go to Costa Rica or Belize! They have everything you want, and they are super affordable!

Reactions: 3 users

I was going to suggest Costa Rica as well. The beaches there are nice, plus sloths...

Reactions: 1 users
hawaii. No, seriously. There's a ton of great hiking, good beaches, and at least good snorkeling (I don't scuba). You don't have to stay in Honolulu (you can always do a smaller island or the northshore of Oahu).

Has anyone here been to Tokyo? If so, any suggestions for things to do? :)

How long will you be there, and what are you looking for?

Touristy things? weird things? Techy things? Temples/shrines? Foodie? Hot springs?

If you are going to be there for 1-2 full weeks and will be around and about and esp if you want to go on a bullet train somewhere for a couple days, get the JR Railpass (you have to get it in advance in the states).

Most foreigners love going to the tsukiji fish market (you need to go super early in the morning) to see the fish auction in action. I've been way too lazy to do that but my fiancé wants to next time we go

If you're staying in Tokyo and not leaving the area, Meiji Jingu is probably the shrine you want to go to. And Asakusa is a pretty fun touristy spot. Emperial Palace is kinda like eh, because you can't really go in to see the residence or anything, but may be worth it to walk around if you're going to be either at the Tokyo station or Ginza (sony building in Ginza is free and is kind of fun to walk through, and it's essentially like 5th avenue in all the high end brand stores lined up)

Other fun tokyo neighborhoods that people like to visit. Shibuya is where the hachiko statue is, as well as the scramble crosswalk (that giant intersection with people walking every which way in the middle of Tokyo that shows up on like every movie and news clip of Tokyo). Foreigners like to go in the middle of it and take videos of all the people walking through. Apparently they're building a glass overpass so that people can do that from overhead. Akihabara is where you want to go for the massive electronic stores and all the creepy people (think cosplay, geeky collectors, maid cafés). Harajuku is kind of like the trendy teen hangout spot.

As for temples and shrines, if you wanted to branch out of Tokyo, a couple big places. you can take the train to Kamakura and see old temples (and probably shrines?) and the giant Buddha. Or what I did when I went with my fiancé as well as my ex, was took the bullet train to Kyoto for a 2-3 day trip to see the mother load of old temples and such.

If you were thinking about going up the Tokyo tower, I would do the new Tokyo Skytree instead. It's the tallest working radio tower in the world or something like that and is taller than the Tokyo tower. It's new so it's pretty crowded. And it can be hard to get tickets. BUT if you're a foreigner, there's a separate ticket counter you can go to and go right up the tower without any wait. It's a little more costly, but so so worth it.

Wherever you go, have your passport with you because a lot of places in Japan are Duty Free over like $90 purchase or so with a foreign passport.

I don't ever go to Japan without going to Disneyland or Disneysea, but that's just me.

Omg all the foods. So much good foods. I make a list of must eats, and it takes a full 2-3 weeks to cross them off.

Lemme know if there's anything in particular you're interested in

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

My favorite thing that I ever ate in Japan was okanomiyaki (probably butchered the spelling).

Just bought tickets for 10 days in Costa Rica! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Wow! Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I will be there for a little over a week, so I suppose I won't have a lot of time.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the shrines/temples you mentioned above. I've heard a lot of good things about Meiji Jingu as well, so it's nice to hear you confirm that! I'm really hoping we can take a train out to Kamakura! I'll have to see what my friend says. Her mom has a conference in Tokyo, so we're tagging along and enjoying the area while we have the opportunity. So, I'm not sure how much time we are going to have to leave the city, but hopefully we can take the train out somewhere for one day. SOOOO looking forward to Akihabara!And I've also heard the Tsukiji Market is a must. Did you go to the Shinjuku National Garden?

I know this may be weird but, did you go to the robot restaurant? Haha, I keep seeing it on Youtube and I'm dying to know if it's as cool as it looks. Any good restaurants you can recommend, or any interesting foods I should try? I'm looking forward to all the ramen I can get my hands on, haha.

Thanks so much! Getting so excited!!

If you're into the anime scene (which I'm guessing so from the Akihabara comment), I also recommend Nakano and Ikebukuro as do-not-miss-stops. Akiba is great, but Ikebukuro is very female friendly with lots of doujinshi shops...but honestly I would do most of my toy and merchandise purchases in Nakano. There's a three story covered shopping mall which has tons of small anime stores...absolutely fabulous for figure hunting!

There's going to be a Sailor Moon exhibit in Roppongi Hills (I think?) in the spring, but that may be too early for your trip.

Depending on how much time you have, day trips should definitely be considered too. Hakone, Nikko, Kamakura, Yokohama are all excellent choices.

In terms of themed restaurants...it's been a few years since I've been, but the Lockup was a popular izakaya at the time. Ninja in Akasuka is a nice restaurant (but a bit pricey). There was also a 'christian' themed cafe somewhere in shinjuku....it had Gothic church interior-decorations that was both very pretty and wildly inappropriate. So, you know, Japan. There's a train-themed restaurant in Akihabara as well, I believe. Cat and Owl cafes are pretty ubiquitous too.

Feel free to PM if you have any particular questions, or want a specific recommendation. Tokyo is awesome. I miss it muchly.

Oh just a word of caution. Whatever you do, stay away from the zoo. It's depressing as hell.

Did you go to the Shinjuku National Garden?

Nope, I haven't. If you're staying just around Tokyo, it should be a good one to go to though. I end up needing to walk through a few gardens for whatever reason visiting temples and whatnot so I've never actually sought out a garden as a primary destination.

I know this may be weird but, did you go to the robot restaurant? Haha, I keep seeing it on Youtube and I'm dying to know if it's as cool as it looks.

I think you and I have very different ideas of what is "cool" because you'd have to pay me to go to this type of thing...

Any good restaurants you can recommend, or any interesting foods I should try? I'm looking forward to all the ramen I can get my hands on, haha.

Oh gosh... you're going to be floored by the sheer number of food places in Tokyo. It's mind boggling. There are so many good restaurants, I'm not sure it's worth it to plan on going to particular ones because that's going to make your travel itinerary more difficult. You can find really awesome food anywhere in Tokyo.

As for ramen places, just walk around and find the places that have a huge line out the door for the experience. I have the places I like to go to around home that i like, but if I'm hanging out in Tokyo and I have time, I just walk around until I find one with a long line and wait. Have never been disappointed that way. Japanese people really like to line up for things.

The one thing I always make sure to go and eat every time I'm in Japan no matter how short the trip is a Tsujiri Parfait. There is a Tsujiri cafe on the 10th floor of the Daimaru Department Store attached to the Tokyo station. Again, be prepared for like an hour wait in line, but it's so worth it. It's so good. Omg you'd be missing out if you don't go IMO. I usually make a list of food items I need to consume, and am flexible about what restaurant I go to, EXCEPT THIS. It has to be a tsujiri parfait at a tsujiri cafe. It can be in Tokyo or at its original cafes in kyoto, but it has to be this one.

At some point, check out a "depachika" which is short for the basement floor of a department store to go rummaging for food. It's like this crazy food paradise. You could live the rest of your life there if you wanted to. One thing that might be fun to get is a cake/tart kind of thing from one of the fruit parlors. In Japan there's a strong culture of gifting high quality fruits (as in like a $100 cantaloupe). A way to get a taste of these yummy fruits without going crazy is to buy a dessert that incorporates these fruits. Major department stores like mitsukoshi, isetan, and takashimaya have bomb diggity depachikas. I think mitsukoshi still has those weird elevator ladies... which is always a fun experience. While you're at it, walk around the restaurant floor (usually the top floor) of the dept store and see the huge array of fake foods samples in front of each restaurant. They're everywhere in Japan (and there are gift shops that even sell some), but the dept restaurant floor is a place where you can see a ton of them at once.

Other things to try would be crepe stands, yakiniku, okonomiyaki, takoyaki, izakayas, and one of the conveyor belt 100 yen sushi franchises (kappa zushi and sushiro are the two biggies. Within Tokyo there are a bunch of independent ones, but the two big chains are a bit of an experience in themselves.) It's usually literally my first stop on my way home from the airport. Like I can't make it home to greet my cats until I'm done stuffing my face there first. It's certainly not the same quality as high end sushi, but sure beats 99% of sushi in the US at a fraction of the cost which is mind boggling.

If you are looking to have good tempura, sushi, or eel, you want to seek out a specialty restaurant that only serves that. These are the places that get pricey, but if you can afford it I would go. Same goes with a nice steak place. Oh holy **** you have not lived until you've had japanese steak melt in your mouth.

Even family restaurants like Denny's is like freaking amazing there. I usually go at least once. Below is a Denny's menu in Japan, and literally the food comes out looking just like the picture.

If you're on a budget and you're looking at restaurant menus to see if you can afford it, remember that you don't need to add tip. And depending on the establishment, sometimes tip is included on the menu.

ImageUploadedBySDN1460344137.062057.jpg

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of stuff. But it's hard to fit into just a week. You only have so many meals to eat.

Last edited:
hawaii. No, seriously. There's a ton of great hiking, good beaches, and at least good snorkeling (I don't scuba). You don't have to stay in Honolulu (you can always do a smaller island or the northshore of Oahu).
Or if you want to avoid the overpriced, over touristy Oahu, I recommend Maui. Less crowded beaches, more forests. It's amazing. Plus the waves aren't as rough so scuba diving is a possibility

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My favorite thing that I ever ate in Japan was okanomiyaki (probably butchered the spelling).

I went to Hiroshima a few months ago with the whole point of the stop being to eat a good okonomiyaki. There's a place in Hiroshima called okonomimura (okonomi village) which is a multistory building filled with a bunch of competing okonomiyaki restaurants. My fiancé and I ended up going there because the restaurant we planned on was closed.

ImageUploadedBySDN1460345191.799502.jpg

Or if you want to avoid the overpriced, over touristy Oahu, I recommend Maui. Less crowded beaches, more forests. It's amazing. Plus the waves aren't as rough so scuba diving is a possibility

I feel like Maui is overall more expensive than Oahu though.

God all this Japan talk is giving me major food envy :hungry: Mmmmmm...

I feel like I mentioned other islands in my post.

That being said, there is more to do on Oahu in general (lived there for a bit). If you want to be fully in touch with nature only, then Kauai and Maui are good choices.

For scuba I would lean towards Belize, though I didn't dive in Costa Rica. Honduras also has great diving, but if you don't speak Spanish, it's a little more difficult to get around in Honduras, whereas they speak English in Belize, and you can definitely do well speaking only English in Costa Rica. Belize has some awesome Mayan temples and a cave that you can hike into with all kinds of cool artifacts and skeletal remains.

I'm on a blood thinner so I won't have to worry about paying for drinks because I'm not supposed to drink at all. Heh.

Ha I have a similar problem. I am on blood pressure medication that says to avoid alcohol. My cousin who is the same age as me (also healthy) is on it too.

Just bought tickets for 10 days in Costa Rica! :)
I missed this among the Japan talk! Congrats, I'm sure you will love it! I've been to Costa Rica twice and hope to go back in the future. Let me know if you want any info. I hope you are going to Arenal, that was one of my favorite places.

So my SO and I have been talking about taking a summer trip to Maine since last summer. I started looking into the details of it today, and I found the perfect vacation rental on airbnb! Cheap price and pretty much walk-able to everything in downtown Portland. The only week it's available is the week in between when I move out of Boston and into Phily so perfect timing too! Anyway, today I spent a lot of time doing research on things to do in the area, and I was getting really excited!

When my SO came home from work I was so excited to show him the place and all the cool things I found to do when he told me that he might be deploying during those dates :(. It was just a 6 week thing, which I guess I should be thankful since a lot of those deployments are almost a year long... but I was still a little sad since I spent my day getting excited about the trip that might not happen.

But on a good note, we said still will go to Maine at some point this summer! :) It might just end up being a different rental or a shorter trip is all. He said he should know this week if he's on the deployment or not...

Reactions: 1 users
I had some really cool summer plans. But I just realized next Friday is graduation. And starting after graduation I only have 47 days until vet school starts. That includes moving back into my parents, packing up all over again, and moving to a new state where I don't know anyone or where anything is, so I have to move early. So, yeah, just had to get rid of those really cool plans.

I had some really cool summer plans. But I just realized next Friday is graduation. And starting after graduation I only have 47 days until vet school starts. That includes moving back into my parents, packing up all over again, and moving to a new state where I don't know anyone or where anything is, so I have to move early. So, yeah, just had to get rid of those really cool plans.
This sounds exactly what my last 2 years have been like :p Honestly, I still had stuff packed from my return from Florida. I guess that shows you how much useless junk I have.

I'll be road tripping this summer with my bf through the deep south before coming back to CO and I'm passing through NM for a night! Anyone have any opinions on staying in Albuquerque vs. Santa Fe?

This sounds exactly what my last 2 years have been like :p Honestly, I still had stuff packed from my return from Florida. I guess that shows you how much useless junk I have.

I still have things packed from when I moved home over a year and a half ago. Some of it makes sense to keep packed since I don't need it here (kitchen things), other stuff... well it's making it really easy to get rid of things before I moved since obviously I haven't missed it haha

I'll be road tripping this summer with my bf through the deep south before coming back to CO and I'm passing through NM for a night! Anyone have any opinions on staying in Albuquerque vs. Santa Fe?

I liked Santa Fe. Food was good.

My husband and I found a really cute duplex in Santa Fe through Airbnb a couple of summers ago. I can't find what the place was called, but it was on Chapelle. The owners have a bunch of duplexes and small houses within a few blocks of each other. They refer to them as casitas. Easily walkable to the square. And, they offer breakfast in the morning at their office, which is another of the houses. And, they're pet friendly.
If you only have one night in NM, I recommend Santa Fe over Albuquerque.

Santa Fe for sure! Unless you're a Breaking Bad fan. Then Albuquerque for sure!

UPDATE: We booked the trip to Maine :D

Basically my SO said that if it does happen that he's deployed during that time, he'll make soooo much money on a 6 week deployment that he'll have no issues paying the cancellation fee (like 50 bucks or so I think) that'd he'd rather risk that than risk having the place we wantedbook up. Plus, it's more likely than not that he won't have to go anyway. Fingers crossed because I am getting really excited! :xf::xf:

Reactions: 2 users