Accuracy on Step 2CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay2910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I was looking through the FA USMLE STEP 2CS Book on this "Mini Cases" chapter and while my 1st 2 diagnosis are the same as what is in the book, my 3rd diagnosis is sometimes not there or its at the bottom of the diagnosis list on the book. Is that ok? Are they grading you on accuracy for your differential list? How many differentials should you put? Is 3 enough?

Members don't see this ad.

You should have 2-3 and they should be reasonable, listed in order of most probable to least

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The mini cases are meant to help you come up with possible differentials very quickly. I would try to learn 3-4 diff on First Aid while practicing so you can rule them out quickly when you practice the actual cases. If it's not on the list in First Aid, try to think why it's not on there/why it should be on there.

They do grade you by the order of differentials and supporting evidences but I suspect this is fairly lenient.

Your top 3 should be from the list. If it’s not, you really need to make sure your history and exam justify it, otherwise it’ll just look like a guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Also, one more question . . .do you have tips/tricks for making your notes actually fit on the practice form? I tried copying some of the ones from FA on there and it cuts it out cause it keeps reaching the character limit.

Can you actually get away with saying " ROS: Negative except for above"? and if the patient has no allergies , no surgeries-then can you put them both on the same line? "Allergies-None Surgeries-None"?

The other thing I noticed in FA in USMLE . .is that they only sometimes mention about Tobacco, Alcohol, Caffeine, Occupation when relevant . .. so do I not have to go through FEDTACOs all the time?( Obviously if its a little kid I won't ask about TACOS) . . .I'm asking cause, when I ask these questions to my study partner and there's no response listed on the standard patient side, so they aren't able to answer and I'm not sure either.

For the note, you need to use tons of abbreviations. Instead of “45 year old female presents with shortness of breath”, you should write “45 yo f presents w/ SOB.”

Same thing for the PE. Card:RRR no m/r/g. Resp: CTAB Abd: soft, NT, ND.

Basically practice writing a note like a surgeon.

For the ROS, allergies, and past surgeries, nobody truly knows, but I did what you said and I passed.

Ask Alcohol, tobacco, recreational drugs, and occupation in every patient, except young children. Only ask caffeine if you thinks it’s relevant such as for palpitations or headaches.

Remember the test is garbage, but you have to go through the motions to pass.

Reactions: 1 users