Step 2CS December 2019 score release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcgarvels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else waiting for score release on December 11th? 13 weeks is just way too long.

Members don't see this ad.

PASSED.....seriously can't believe it. Kept looking at the score report to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. I'll post my mistakes on the other thread. I made A LOT of mistakes to anybody reading this in the future. Thought my ddx was really poor for 3 cases, didn't do the correct PE for some cases, put bad diagnostic workups for a few cases just to name a few.

Reactions: 4 users
So I am panicking. I took mine 9/18 in ATL with my couples match partner. Same day, same time, same location. He got his score back - pass. I have no score. How do I interpret the fact that he got a score back and I didn’t.

Hey Crunchywhit, was thinking about you. I hope you finally got your result and it was a PASS! Happy Holidays!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you all get score reports or did u do the fsmb?

I got the score report...took the test on 10/5 in philly, got an e-mail saying my score report will come out later today about 30 mins before 11AM, checked on NBME site at 11, got my score report

Reactions: 1 user
Failed CIS by one star. US MD. I think it is because I didn't provide an explicit ddx to the patients. I was very vague in my workup- more of a lets do x y z and find out whats wrong as opposed to I think it could be A B or C so I want to do these tests.

Also, I think I was a bit rushed, and maybe should have asked more about how their illness has been impacting them (does anyone have any suggestions about how to do this?) it seems so awkward

ICE wasn't great either, probably because I included a couple of 'rule-out' diagnoses that were less likely.

Trying to get a retake, but my school needs to verify my enrollment and its the holidays lol.... fml

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Failed CIS by one star. US MD. I think it is because I didn't provide an explicit ddx to the patients. I was very vague in my workup- more of a lets do x y z and find out whats wrong as opposed to I think it could be A B or C so I want to do these tests.

Also, I think I was a bit rushed, and maybe should have asked more about how their illness has been impacting them (does anyone have any suggestions about how to do this?) it seems so awkward

ICE wasn't great either, probably because I included a couple of 'rule-out' diagnoses that were less likely.

Trying to get a retake, but my school needs to verify my enrollment and its the holidays lol.... fml

The whole test is complete bull****. I’m sorry. You’ll be okay though!

For those of you who heard today, were your scores kind of borderline? Wondering if the reason for the delay is deliberating about the fate of people who didn’t do so hot

For CIS..I did the following:
Knocked..introduced myself...something like "Mr. Jones? Hey there, my name is Dr. X, I'll be taking care of you today..what brings you in? Well I'm sorry you feel that way, let's see if we can work together and figure out what is going on...then take a history, and repeat a brief HPI back..asking afterwards "does this sound like what is going on? Is there anything else you think might be important for me to know before we move on to the physical exam?"...then do pertinent physicals..after, sit down and explain your DDx..."Well Mr.Jones, there are many things that could be causing your symptoms but I'm most concerned about "diagnosis 1"....another possibility is "diagnosis 2". I'd like to start with "insert plan here"..give a brief description of the tests as well. At the end, reaffirm with "Does this plan sound good to you? Do you have any other questions or concerns?" Often this is when the "challenge" questions come..answer confidently and to the best of your ability and close with "Well I hope you feel better soon and please don't hesitate to ask if you would like to discuss our plan again".

I know this sounds lame, but being systematic and overly empathetic are the keys to CIS imo. I never asked about how the illness was impacting their life, and I passed with no xs in borderline. Sometimes you just have to play the game.

For CIS..I did the following:
Knocked..introduced myself...something like "Mr. Jones? Hey there, my name is Dr. X, I'll be taking care of you today..what brings you in? Well I'm sorry you feel that way, let's see if we can work together and figure out what is going on...then take a history, and repeat a brief HPI back..asking afterwards "does this sound like what is going on? Is there anything else you think might be important for me to know before we move on to the physical exam?"...then do pertinent physicals..after, sit down and explain your DDx..."Well Mr.Jones, there are many things that could be causing your symptoms but I'm most concerned about "diagnosis 1"....another possibility is "diagnosis 2". I'd like to start with "insert plan here"..give a brief description of the tests as well. At the end, reaffirm with "Does this plan sound good to you? Do you have any other questions or concerns?" Often this is when the "challenge" questions come..answer confidently and to the best of your ability and close with "Well I hope you feel better soon and please don't hesitate to ask if you would like to discuss our plan again".

I know this sounds lame, but being systematic and overly empathetic are the keys to CIS imo. I never asked about how the illness was impacting their life, and I passed with no xs in borderline. Sometimes you just have to play the game.
Thank you. This is almost verbatim what I did, minus the fact that I was vague with diagnoses and just said like ‘I’d like to get a blood test to look at your (liver for example) to make sure there’s no infection’

Studentdocftw's script is excellent advice. A few more tips for you below. Not saying that you did any of these things wrong, but maybe someone else reading it can be helped:

If you are going to write a lot, explain that you want to make sure that the notes of the visit are accurate, and ask if it's okay for you to write while speaking to them. Try your best to look up regularly for eye contact, and nod as they talk so that they don't think you are ignoring them.

Be sure to let the SP finish talking before saying something else to them. There might be a few SPs who are instructed to ramble, but for the most part they won't do that. Sometimes SPs will hesitate a moment before continuing on with more embarrassing/personal details and they won't get to those parts if you quickly go on to the next question.

For ROS, explain that you are going to be asking them about a LOT of symptoms and it is so that you don't miss anything. If you don't warn them they can feel overwhelmed by the rapid questions.

Always explain what you are doing during the physical exam. You can use this time to keep asking permission for parts of the exam so that the SP feels in control of the situation. You can also keep asking if something is uncomfortable or hurts, because that shows them that you care about their pain.

Even though this is a medical exam, treat them as if they are all needing some psych care as well. If their condition is affecting their work/school/relationship then think about what you might want if you were in their shoes. School or work problem->Ask if they need some sort of note for school, and say that the office staff will get one for them before they leave. Relationship problem->Suggest a few ideas for how the SP might discuss the problem with the partner. General unhappiness that doesn't fit clinical depression->They might still like to know about support groups, etc.

During the closing, it can be helpful to still use open-ended questions. For example, if you ask "Do you have any questions about the plan?" the SP can feel pressured to say "No" because otherwise they would look foolish. Instead, you can phrase it as "What do you think about the plan?". That's a little more neutral and can allow them to say that they think it's complicated or to ask you more questions.

Hey Crunchywhit, was thinking about you. I hope you finally got your result and it was a PASS! Happy Holidays!
Thank you for remembering me!! Sorry for the late reply but I did get a pass result last Wednesday. Hugs to everyone on the CS waiting train.

Reactions: 3 users
Passed on the 4th score release day after taking the test at the beginning of the reporting period for future scared people

Reactions: 4 users
If I didn't list out my pertinent negatives and just wrote ROS negative unless stated above, will this lead to a fail in ice? Did anyone do this and pass?