ACOM vs LECOM - SH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACOM or LECOM - SH?

• ACOM

• LECOM - SH

Results are only viewable after voting.

KO_TV

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to gain acceptance to both schools, but I'm having trouble choosing between the two. I was hoping I could get some insight from SDN, whether it be non-students, current students, or anyone else. I've had some experience with PBL from my undergrad institution (or their version of it) and I did pretty well, but I also have no qualms about sitting in lectures.

My main concern with ACOM is that they haven't graduated their first class. With LECOM, their match lists are made public and in my opinion, are pretty good. I'm not sure if ACOM students will match as well.

My main concern with LECOM is the seemingly disconnected/strained relationship between students and faculty. The curriculum, to me, sounds more like a DIY medical program. I feel like anyone can read medical textbooks and study for boards on their own (forgive me if I'm misinterpreting the PBL curriculum).

Which would you choose, ACOM or LECOM - SH?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviwed at both this cycle, I got an acceptance to ACOM, but am still waiting to hear back from LECOM-SH, but got accepted in LECOM- Bradenton! Honestly, I was super impressed with ACOM, granted it is a new school, all of their presentations were so impressive. Their facilities, including the sim lab, cadaver, were amazing. I felt that the faculty genuinely cared, and their system based curiculm seems pretty well. We also get great board prep. LECOM-SH left me feeling a little dreary, there seems no sense of community like ACOM, and the facutly seems disengaged! I wasnt that impressed. LECOM Bradenton and PBL gave me the same idea that I am basically paying them to teach myself medicine. I honestly dont know what to do, but I am leaning towards ACOM. LECOM SH doesnt even have cadavers... Plus the weather is nicer down South, and cheaper cost of living!

Thanks for your input! Yeah, I 100% agree, that's exactly how I felt at both places. But even if many LECOM students are disgruntled (as they seem to be on SDN), they match very well after medical school. I'm just hoping ACOM will match well too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input! Yeah, I 100% agree, that's exactly how I felt at both places. But even if many LECOM students are disgruntled (as they seem to be on SDN), they match very well after medical school. I'm just hoping ACOM will match well too.

Honestly its all on you at the end of the day, no matter where you go, you will have to study for boards!! I just want to go somwhere where Ill be happy and get the quality of education I deserve. I know I will work hard everywhere, so if you work hard, you will match well! ACOM seems to have excellent rotations throughout Alabama, and I believe they have locked a lot of residencies too!

I also interviewed at both schools. I also felt the same way about LECOM-SH (disconnected faculty, overall sense that they weren't excited to be interviewing). That being said, their board scores don't lie, and their incredibly low tuition is a big plus. As far as ACOM goes, I loved that place. It has been my only interview where the Dean was present and interacted with interviewees. I think that they have a promising future and it helps that they have had rotations set up for almost a decade through AMEC. What it boils down to though is how you felt during the interview. There were plenty of happy students at LECOM-SH. Either way, you get to be a doctor!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your input! I'm still debating so I really appreciate any personal experiences/feelings out there.

I'm a current student at LECOM-SH; if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

There's a bit of a disconnect between students and and administration, but I wouldn't say the same about students and faculty; I'm a huge fan of most of them. I also think we have a good sense of community, especially because you get to know the people in your PBL groups very well. Sorry that's not the vibe you got-- my guess is you caught us on either an anatomy exam week for the first years or a PBL exam week for the second years.

I will admit that PBL is very DIY, and definitely not for everyone.

I know nothing about ACOM so I can't compare the two. Obviously, LECOM's not perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad as SDN makes it out to be.