2022-2023 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Priority WL: you are accepted but they cannot offer you a seat until accepted students from a previous interview cycle put in their deposits or decline. You will be offered a seat before someone on the normal WL is my understanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Waitlist here. Anyone else?
IMG_5309.jpg

Literally how I imagine the WL rn

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Anyone on this thread have some insight in deciding between ACOM and VCOM-Auburn?

I was stuck between these as well and ultimately chose ACOM. Both are great options! ACOM’s match rate last year was 100% with one student matching into vascular surgery which is super competitive. It really boils down to personal preference on a lot of different fronts. Auburn is a college town and you pretty much have to drive through the heart of campus to get anywhere meaning gamedays and anytime the college has an event things will be crowded. Being a college town has perks because there is more things to do and more living options. Dothan is smaller, but has a Sam’s Club and a Target (my judgment on big vs small town ). Rent and the overall price of living in Dothan is cheaper and it is only an hour/hour and a half from the beach making post exam weekend getaways easier. Speaking of exams, VCOM is exam heavy meaning they have 2-3 exams per a week whereas ACOM might have 1-2 every two weeks. ACOM has a state of the art simulation lab and has even sent teams to win the national championship in simulation. You can’t go wrong with either school, but if you can, I recommend going and visiting each. That is what really helped me make my mind up.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello. I was wondering if there are any upper classmen that can help answer some questions.
Do all first years have the same schedule? What does a typical Friday look like for first years? I have to book a flight for the Friday before Labor Day in order to get to a family event on time and it's stressing me out. Really don't want to miss any mandatory classes. If in the case I will have to miss a mandatory class, do you think professors would be understanding as long as they're notified way ahead? Super random questions but thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Hello. I was wondering if there are any upper classmen that can help answer some questions.
Do all first years have the same schedule? What does a typical Friday look like for first years? I have to book a flight for the Friday before Labor Day in order to get to a family event on time and it's stressing me out. Really don't want to miss any mandatory classes. If in the case I will have to miss a mandatory class, do you think professors would be understanding as long as they're notified way ahead? Super random questions but thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
Everyone in the same class has the same schedule, with some exceptions. The classes are divided up into 3 "groups" (blue, yellow, and red), which are used to determine when you'll have mandatory labs/events. You could have a lab on that Friday, which could make it difficult to catch a flight out. This past fall, the first years had their first full length exams on the Friday before Labor Day. That means they had 2 exams, anatomy and molec, in the morning, followed by their anatomy practical in the afternoon. Should that be the same this year, it would be difficult to catch a flight.

A typical Friday consists of classes in the morning with either anatomy lab in the afternoon or a free afternoon. Unfortunately, excused absences from mandatory classes are typically not granted for family events, even if you were to notify them way ahead of time. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

Everyone in the same class has the same schedule, with some exceptions. The classes are divided up into 3 "groups" (blue, yellow, and red), which are used to determine when you'll have mandatory labs/events. You could have a lab on that Friday, which could make it difficult to catch a flight out. This past fall, the first years had their first full length exams on the Friday before Labor Day. That means they had 2 exams, anatomy and molec, in the morning, followed by their anatomy practical in the afternoon. Should that be the same this year, it would be difficult to catch a flight.

A typical Friday consists of classes in the morning with either anatomy lab in the afternoon or a free afternoon. Unfortunately, excused absences from mandatory classes are typically not granted for family events, even if you were to notify them way ahead of time. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
Thank you so much this was extremely helpful! It's not looking too good so I am just going to play it safe and fly out the Saturday of :cryi:

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone emailed Admissions updating their application or inquiring about waitlist information or status lately? If so, what were your experiences?

Has anyone emailed Admissions updating their application or inquiring about waitlist information or status lately? If so, what were your experiences?
They said there's no waitlist movement going on rn, and they also shared some feedback from my app that made me feel like I got soft rejected lmao

I interviewed. It's funny cause idk why would they invite me to interview and then suggest a master's to improve my GPA?

Did you call them or send an email? Every time I’ve emailed, they’ve just said thanks for the update lol

I emailed them, but I specifically asked them about the waitlist
maybe they got the impression that you were trying to find a way off the waitlist, and suggested this general advice that isn't necessarily specific to you?

maybe they got the impression that you were trying to find a way off the waitlist, and suggested this general advice that isn't necessarily specific to you?
Who knows. I honestly just wanted to know what was up with waitlists lol

For those on the waitlist, what’s your plan on housing? Dothan doesn’t seem to have an abundance of apartments. Are you planning on reserving (paying an application fee) at 2 apartments; one in Dothan and another elsewhere, near a school that you were accepted at?

Trying to figure out the best way to deal with housing while being on a waitlist at your top choice and accepted somewhere else

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an II today and scheduled for 3/24, I'm assuming this is essentially for the WL at this point, but still grateful!

Did you call them or send an email? Every time I’ve emailed, they’ve just said thanks for the update lol
I’m glad I’m not the only one. I felt like it was them just rejecting me but now maybe I’m thinking it’s their way of not providing a definite answer either way?

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I felt like it was them just rejecting me but now maybe I’m thinking it’s their way of not providing a definite answer either way?
I think it might be just a way to prepare if multiple people drop their seats around May when other students have to commit to enroll somewhere else

I think it might be just a way to prepare if multiple people drop their seats around May when other students have to commit to enroll somewhere else
Can someone explain this to me? How does it work for DO schools? I’ve seen people mention May as a deadline to commit but what happens if you have an acceptance at one school and you’re waitlisted at another?

Can someone explain this to me? How does it work for DO schools? I’ve seen people mention May as a deadline to commit but what happens if you have an acceptance at one school and you’re waitlisted at another?
Well this is probably kind of something that you can reason through but I think that it's a matter of courtesy. I would take the acceptance and run with it

The deadline is that starting April 1, DO schools can tell AACOMAS which students have paid deposits at their schools, and schools can begin a process to rescind acceptances starting May 15 (if you're holding more than 1 spot). I don't believe this applies to you if you're accepted (and deposited) at one school and waitlisted at another.

if I recall correctly, MD matriculants have an actual deadline for committing to a school around April 30. If people hold multiple acceptances, they have to commit to dropping the rest of their acceptances. I think DO schools can share which students are accepted at multiple students and have students commit to enroll to one school or have their acceptances rescinded.

The deadline is that starting April 1, DO schools can tell AACOMAS which students have paid deposits at their schools, and schools can begin a process to rescind acceptances starting May 15 (if you're holding more than 1 spot). I don't believe this applies to you if you're accepted (and deposited) at one school and waitlisted at another.
Link?

Hold up, so if I recently got accepted to a school but waitlisted at my top choice (ex. ACOM), is there a chance that upon the deadline that ACOM will remove me from the waitlist because they see my acceptance and deposit at another school? I may be misunderstanding bc it’s late

Hold up, so if I recently got accepted to a school but waitlisted at my top choice (ex. ACOM), is there a chance that upon the deadline that ACOM will remove me from the waitlist because they see my acceptance and deposit at another school? I may be misunderstanding bc it’s late
You should send a letter of intent telling them they're your first choice and you would drop other acceptances if accepted to ACOM

No, they will not remove you from the waitlist. This is only for multiple acceptances/deposits (you can't hold more than 1 spot past the May 15 deadline + however many days the schools take to drop people). You can hold your spot at one school and be on multiple waitlists, if you'd like. Hope this helps!

Waitlisted again after reapplying. I wish I never started this med school path

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone, I received a soft A in December and and hard A in January. If anyone is curious about my stats, family life, job experience I would be happy to share. I have even traveled to the school so if you want to know a little bit about it and even about dothan I will answer as much as I can😁.

helloo!! does anyone know how likely it is to get off of priority waitlist? or how long it took? tyia

To anyone panicking, I recently took a trip to the student housing at ACOM and was told that they are waiting on the list of students to be sent to them. The lady said there was only 80 so I’m assuming that’s how many accepted decisions at ACOM they have. So for anyone on the priority waitlist I would be highly encouraged to not panic. Their class size is somewhere around 200. Keep your heads up folks.

Reactions: 3 users