ACOM vs TUNCOM looking for advice and opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you choose?

• ACOM

• TUNCOM

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leopardspirit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a little community support in regards to the situation I've found myself in. I was accepted to ACOM 2 weeks ago, I've already paid my deposit and started with the process of submitting all my information to the school for matriculation.

I interviewed at Touro the day before I was accepted at ACOM. I was just accepted to Touro NV yesterday.

My thoughts:

ACOM:
I really loved the atmosphere, the school is beautiful and the students there seemed positive about the school and area. I'm a country bumpkin so I don't mind living in rural Alabama, however I've lived in big cities before so it doesn't bother me to be there either. I could actually see myself staying in the south because I love the people so much.
90 minutes to Panama City Beach.
Its the south, the hospitality line is real. You can tell the difference when dealing with people down there.
The rotations are solid to say the least.
Tuition is about 10k a year cheaper at ACOM and comes with more goodies. (i.e. computer, ipad, comlex study materials)
Very committed to Osteopathic Principles and Philosophies.
Alabama is beautiful and Las Vegas is a wasteland (I was born in Vegas don't try to dispute it, you know it's true.)
Systems approach to medicine. (A lot of people believe this is more effective)

TUNCOM:
This place is close to home, like 90 minute drive and I'm swimming in family. (This may not be the best thing given some personal life issues.)
I interviewed here last year and was wait-listed. They never updated my status just went dark, so that was a bit of a hit to my pride.
The school is a dump, its an old tire factory.
Basically they have a more established reputation, however I did have a friend that went there and he complained that his rotations were really sub-par. (This was 2 years ago.)
While I was interviewing I was walking through the hall to drain the lizard and a student at the school looked me dead in the eye and said, "do not go here," and kept walking, I didn't get the feeling he was joking.
Weird ass schedule because of all the time off for Jewish Holy Days.
Was straight up told by the Dean during his introduction, "You are all here because you didn't get into an MD program."
They have a basketball court!
Entertainment is cheap. (This is both good and bad in a way.)
Traditional Medical Curriculum approach.

So as you can see I am leaning to ACOM but I still want to make sure I have all the info on TUNCOM before I just cast them aside. My experiences with them haven't been that positive to say the least and I wanted to give some members of the forum an opportunity to weigh in with their opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice in CA, then TUNCOM definitely. Many of the graduates matched in MD programs at Loma Linda, Harbor-UCLA, UCSF-fresno, Mayo, etc. TUNCOM had 100% match rate in 2014, but for me it is all about your effort at the end. However, at TUNCOM you may have more advantages to do rotations in CA which would help for your residency in CA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your description of tuncom is so bad I just voted for ACOM even tho its new. I will add the caveat that if you want to do a residency in somewhere it is better to go to school there.

What is the grading like at TUNCOM? I know ACOM is ABCF. The attendance policy for each is important too. I know ACOM is 85% required attendance.

Cheaper is good if you dont care where your residency is.

Reactions: 1 user
The last place on God's green Earth I would want to practice is California. I'm from Utah and that would be the second to last place on God's green Earth I would want to practice. Attendance for me is a positive I do better if I attend class so all the motivation I can get to be there is a good thing. Touro is a percentage grade from what I gathered with anything under 70% being a fail. I also think they assign letter grades as well.

I heard TUNCOM has pretty good rotations in Vegas. Would be a great experience to learn there imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
what were your stats @Leopardspirit if you don't' mind me asking? I was very interested in these two schools. Thanks!

PM sent, but just a couple other thoughts:
Very committed to Osteopathic Principles and Philosophies.
This isn't as awesome as it sounds

Basically they have a more established reputation, however I did have a friend that went there and he complained that his rotations were really sub-par. (This was 2 years ago.)
This is hugely variant and can (and does) happen at pretty much every school. ACOM hasn't even sent a class out on rotations yet so I'm not sure how you know they're solid.

While I was interviewing I was walking through the hall to drain the lizard and a student at the school looked me dead in the eye and said, "do not go here," and kept walking, I didn't get the feeling he was joking.
I've often had days where I realize just how bad med school sucks, whether at my program or in general. It happens. Every single doc I shadowed as a pre-med would ask me why the Hell I would ever want to do medicine, yet here I am.

Obviously you have to make the final call, but realize that every program has its flaws, and a few simple things like being a little closer to family or at a slightly older program might be the few things that make it worth it.

Absolutely.

27 MCAT, 11-Verbal: 7-Physical: 9.0-Biology:
3.4 Science GPA
3.6 Cumulative GPA

100% Touro-NV

ACOM hasn't even sent a class out on rotations yet so I'm not sure how you know they're solid.
Before ACOM was established their Rotation system was already established. They basically made a deal with Alabama to take over the currently in place state rotation setup with first come first serve for their students. You can find out more info searching other forums about ACOM.

Why? Constructive answers are appreciated. Opinions with no evidence are worthless.
-optional class attendance (more time to study)
-no dress code
-close to major airport and major city
-has graduated several classes
-afaik, can complete all rotations locally

Members don't see this ad :)
-optional class attendance (more time to study)
-no dress code
-close to major airport and major city
-has graduated several classes
-afaik, can complete all rotations locally

These are nice in general, I however do like the dress code. Studies have shown that dressing professionally increases performance. Also attending class increases performance. I don't really care about being close to an airport so that is moot. Being able to complete all rotations locally would be nice but for me it isn't terribly important.

Thanks for clarifying your stance though.

These are nice in general, I however do like the dress code. Studies have shown that dressing professionally increases performance. Also attending class increases performance. I don't really care about being close to an airport so that is moot. Being able to complete all rotations locally would be nice but for me it isn't terribly important.

Thanks for clarifying your stance though.
Yeah I remember that first week of school when everyone was gung-ho about going to class.....then we all realized what a colossal waste of time it is. The point is that you should have the autonomy. If you think dressing nice helps you then great, but I promise you're going to have days that you feel like death and going to school in gym shorts is amazing.

Yeah I remember that first week of school when everyone was gung-ho about going to class.....then we all realized what a colossal waste of time it is. The point is that you should have the autonomy. If you think dressing nice helps you then great, but I promise you're going to have days that you feel like death and going to school in gym shorts is amazing.
This may be the case but motivation for me is important. I study much better attending class than I do on my own. I've worked for a long time waking up and dressing nicely is something that is second nature to me and also something I enjoy.

I'm at ACOM...

I am happy here and would not have chosen touro over ACOM. I don't get why "dress code" is an issue: wear a polo and khakis, or scrubs, which are pajamas for big people.
Attendance here is 80 percent. However, about 20 percent of our classes are DSAs, (read: do at home in your underwear) and I for one feel that being in class isn't a time waste if you pay attention and take notes. Whatever works for different people.
The rotations seem pretty solid here, and the system has been in place since 07, I think. There are core rotation sites in the major and some smaller Alabama and Florida cities, including a large site here in Dothan. Dothan is about 2 hrs from Tallahassee and Montgomery. 3 from Atlanta.
I enjoy it here, I feel I made a good decision, and I think too much emphasis is put on what a school does for you/prepares you for boards, and not enough on personal commitment to meet your goals and work hard. I enjoy the good cost off living and tuition, and don't feel like I'm missing all the big city things as I'm studying all the time anyway. Best of luck, I think you would do well here.

OP it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Well it certainly sounds like you would be more happy at ACOM. I did not apply to either school, and have not researched either, but based on how you describe the two, I would pick ACOM. At the end of the day, go where you see yourself being the most happy and where you think you will find the best learning environment.

Probably the biggest reason for my success in medical school was the ability to not attend class (and the no dress code lol). I interviewed at Touro NV and chose elsewhere for some of the reasons you stated. I didn't like the building and the interviewers were borderline mean. I remember them having some kind of attendance policy but I guess it has been done away with. I wanted to like this school (bc i love vegas haha), but it did rub me the wrong way.

All that said I truly believe you're making a massive mistake going to acom. Not a specific knock on acom, but it is a new, unestabilshed school in the middle of nowhere, away from your family, and an attendance policy absolutely kills it. It's no secret that the people consistently at the top of my class and other classes are the ones who do not attend class. Class is highly inefficient and it will cost you. My friend (MD student) and I have a quote about class we say a lot - "Not only is class inefficient, it's actually irresponsible to go."

Really think about this OP, your opinion about class will likely change when you start, you want flexibility.

Probably the biggest reason for my success in medical school was the ability to not attend class (and the no dress code lol). I interviewed at Touro NV and chose elsewhere for some of the reasons you stated. I didn't like the building and the interviewers were borderline mean. I remember them having some kind of attendance policy but I guess it has been done away with. I wanted to like this school (bc i love vegas haha), but it did rub me the wrong way.

All that said I truly believe you're making a massive mistake going to acom. Not a specific knock on acom, but it is a new, unestabilshed school in the middle of nowhere, away from your family, and an attendance policy absolutely kills it. It's no secret that the people consistently at the top of my class and other classes are the ones who do not attend class. Class is highly inefficient and it will cost you. My friend (MD student) and I have a quote about class we say a lot - "Not only is class inefficient, it's actually irresponsible to go."

Really think about this OP, your opinion about class will likely change when you start, you want flexibility.
Enlighten me, I don't understand -
Don't you have to go over the material anyway? It's nearly impossible to understand a lecture at 1.5 speed the 1st time around, so you have to spend time listening to it anyway. What is the real benefit of not being there when the material is given?

Don't you have to go over the material anyway? It's nearly impossible to understand a lecture at 1.5 speed the 1st time around, so you have to spend time listening to it anyway. What is the real benefit of not being there when the material is given?
Just my take, but I do agree partially with the sentiment that class attendance is not necessary for success in medical school.
1. You don't have to go to class tired. If class is at 8 am, you rush to class, you're still tired, it might be a waste. As compared to waking up when you want and feeling more relaxed and attentive at home.
2. Doing lectures at home, you have complete control over your lecture environment. No distractions from other students. You can pause the lecture when you feel you're not comprehending things, read through it again, and then regain your place in the lecture.
3. You can alter the speed at which you comprehend everything. Personally, I watch the lectures at about 2x speed, stop whenever I'm overwhelmed with material and reread specific things or take notes, and it takes me about 30 minutes for a 50 minute lecture. I'm a repetition based learner too, so getting that initial run through over with quickly lets me get through it more in depth a second and third time more efficiently and at a pace more suited to my comfort level.

The only reasons I still attend nearly all my classes are:
1. I don't have to wait for the video to be posted. Otherwise I'm an hour behind (which isn't a big deal).
2. Some teachers look at attendance as an opportunity to reward diligent students (which is total BS...but whatever), so they give out very specific hints as to what will be asked on their portion of the test. Though some teachers leave their mic on anyway and just tell it to the recording, because some people don't even watch the lectures (which isn't unreasonable for some of the material).

As someone who missed 2 classes in undergrad, and attended all my first semester classes, I cannot endorse the idea that attending class is unequivocally better... for that matter, it'd be hard for me to be persuaded that a majority of students would find it helpful... Either way, I think required attendance is a terribly insensitive policy for medical students, and it's probably just ego boosting tactics for the professors that are employed at those schools.

Just my take, but I do agree partially with the sentiment that class attendance is not necessary for success in medical school.
1. You don't have to go to class tired. If class is at 8 am, you rush to class, you're still tired, it might be a waste. As compared to waking up when you want and feeling more relaxed and attentive at home.
2. Doing lectures at home, you have complete control over your lecture environment. No distractions from other students. You can pause the lecture when you feel you're not comprehending things, read through it again, and then regain your place in the lecture.
3. You can alter the speed at which you comprehend everything. Personally, I watch the lectures at about 2x speed, stop whenever I'm overwhelmed with material and reread specific things or take notes, and it takes me about 30 minutes for a 50 minute lecture. I'm a repetition based learner too, so getting that initial run through over with quickly lets me get through it more in depth a second and third time more efficiently and at a pace more suited to my comfort level.

The only reasons I still attend nearly all my classes are:
1. I don't have to wait for the video to be posted. Otherwise I'm an hour behind (which isn't a big deal).
2. Some teachers look at attendance as an opportunity to reward diligent students (which is total BS...but whatever), so they give out very specific hints as to what will be asked on their portion of the test. Though some teachers leave their mic on anyway and just tell it to the recording, because some people don't even watch the lectures (which isn't unreasonable for some of the material).

As someone who missed 2 classes in undergrad, and attended all my first semester classes, I cannot endorse the idea that attending class is unequivocally better... for that matter, it'd be hard for me to be persuaded that a majority of students would find it helpful... Either way, I think required attendance is a terribly insensitive policy for medical students, and it's probably just ego boosting tactics for the professors that are employed at those schools.

Idk...I go to class 95 percent of the time and take solid notes so I can then go over lectures at 2x and imprint it.
Whatever works for everyone is different. I don't get how anyone can attribute their grades or success to it. Myself and many of those in class with me do mighty fine and are none the worse for being there. I don't get why some people trash it like the kiss of death.

I interviewed at both and got accepted to both. I would have gone to touro nv pretty easily.

I thought it was a solid school academically. The only thing I really really disliked was the campus

I really thought I was going to be a class goer too. The problem was that in about the first 5 minutes they would use 10 different words I didn't know and had to look up and by then they were 5 slides ahead. At that point I was already lost and there really isn't a way to catch up. It really helps when you can stop a recording and write down notes, etc. I usually watched it on 2x speed but would end up spending about 1 hour doing 1 lecture....still more time efficient and more active than sitting in a lecture hall for an hour and still having to rewatch the lecture because you were lost or realize you weren't paying attention. I went to every class first semester and ended with C's...I stopped going to class and started getting A's and B's and was much happier with life overall.

Interviewed at TUNCOM and wasn't offered an interview for ACOM. I would have declined TUNCOM.

Anyway, the 10k saved becomes 40k saved which is about 60k+ after interest.