Advice about trying to couples match 1 year apart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gregoryhouse

Head of the Department of Diagnostic Medicine
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you really want to live together during residency I'd suggest targeting less competitive areas with tons of ophtho and EM programs. Places like New York, Michigan, and Ohio.
You could also just apply to Texas programs and hope for the best. You'll have a significant advantage with in-state programs plus no matter what you'll at least be relatively close by unless your SO ends up on the opposite side of the state.

You may not have a lot of choice about where you do residency. Optho is pretty competitive, as you are aware, and you should probably apply to most of the programs available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're a complete rock star this is pretty simple: 1. You get it in. 2. Your gf gets as close as she can to you.

You may not have a lot of choice about where you do residency. Optho is pretty competitive, as you are aware, and you should probably apply to most of the programs available.

Yea I'm definitely applying broadly but I'm talking about when it comes down to making my match list, what would be a good strategy.

I was just wondering if anyone knew which em programs are more or less competitive.

Yea I'm definitely applying broadly but I'm talking about when it comes down to making my match list, what would be a good strategy.

I was just wondering if anyone knew which em programs are more or less competitive.

I presume your GF would know that info.

You guys need to figure out which one of you is the more competitive applicant, as that will also influence your decision making process. It is probably fair to say that regardless of specialty, the more competitive programs are going to be along the coasts and/or in other other desirable metro areas.

If you are going to be lucky to match into any ophtho program, then it doesn't really matter which EM programs are or are not competitive because she is going to have to look into EM program in Tearsville, USA. If, on the other hand, you are going to likely have the pick of the litter, you guys will need to decide ahead of time if you are going to pursue more competitive programs in your specialty, knowing that the surrounding area might either also be competitive for EM (LA, SF, NYC, etc) or not have many options around, limiting spots (Seattle, Austin, etc). Otherwise, you, being the more competitive applicant, can choose to apply in a possibly less attractive area for your specialty in order to maximize her changes to match nearby in EM.

It seems like it will come down to the region of the country that will have the most available spots in both specialties.

However, to answer your question about the best strategy in your OP: just choose a spot you want to be because she might not be around once training is done.

I presume your GF would know that info.
I've been reading these boards for four years and I still don't know the answer to that question. Yes, there is the vague knowledge that better location=better program, but then there is Cincinatti, Indiana, Hennepin, etc. And I generally have no clue about the less competitive programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going through a similar situation but reversed for my gf and I. I'm applying to EM now so the plan is only half way complete but our approach was target big cities. My gf matched into NY so I'm targeting the city and surrounding Burroughs + some NJ and CT and in all it adds up to 15+ EM programs within a somewhat reasonable range, which is by far the best number in the country. Even Chi/Philly only have 5 or 6 each and Boston maybe 5 if you're generous. If your priority is being close, NY is the place to go. There's also a huge range of programs in terms of how competitive they are. That's my 2 cents. Good luck.

I'm going through a similar situation but reversed for my gf and I. I'm applying to EM now so the plan is only half way complete but our approach was target big cities. My gf matched into NY so I'm targeting the city and surrounding Burroughs + some NJ and CT and in all it adds up to 15+ EM programs within a somewhat reasonable range, which is by far the best number in the country. Even Chi/Philly only have 5 or 6 each and Boston maybe 5 if you're generous. If your priority is being close, NY is the place to go. There's also a huge range of programs in terms of how competitive they are. That's my 2 cents. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! Yea I was considering NY as the best option. If you don't mind, please let me know how it works out for you as far as interviews and matching goes in the future. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice! Yea I was considering NY as the best option. If you don't mind, please let me know how it works out for you as far as interviews and matching goes in the future. Best of luck.

I will try to, cannot promise I will remember come March lol.

General advice is easy:
- Try to stick to big cities and areas dense with with EM programs.
- Once you match, make sure you talk with your PD so they can ask the EM PD to take a closer look at your SO.

Specific advice depending on where your relationship is and how strong of an applicant she is:
- If you both like your home programs, talk with them and at least consider staying in place especially if the SO is a weaker applicant. Your own program will generally be the most supportive.
- Depending on where you are in your relationship, consider getting married. I don't mean rush it if it doesn't feel right. But if you're both convinced this is it and you're just waiting for a better time to deal with planning a wedding, strongly consider doing it even if it means getting married in a court and delaying whatever ceremony you will have to a better time. No matter how you feel about each other, girlfriend or even fiance will not carry the same weight as marriage.
- Finally, you need to at least consider delaying a year. The couples match is the only way you have any true say/power in the process. After that, you're relying on help/favor/luck. It might not be the right decision, but you need to consider it and weigh it against the possibility of 3 years apart.

Good luck, it's a sucky situation...

I would think matching ophthalmology in NY might be pretty tough. Ofc I have no idea since Ive never looked at how competitive the specialty is

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

I would think matching ophthalmology in NY might be pretty tough. Ofc I have no idea since Ive never looked at how competitive the specialty is

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

You are right. You need a good school, high step 1 (think 250s), connections and letters, great 3rd year grades etc.

Finally, you need to at least consider delaying a year. The couples match is the only way you have any true say/power in the process. After that, you're relying on help/favor/luck. It might not be the right decision, but you need to consider it and weigh it against the possibility of 3 years apart.
You can't couples match ophtho and EM (ophtho is an early match) so that's kind of moot point unfortunately.

Hey so I would really appreciate some advice regarding what you guys think is the best strategy for couples matching into an EM program 1 year apart.

I am a 4th year applying for ophtho this year and my SO is a 3rd year thinking of applying to EM next year. We are Texas residents and go to a not well known Texas program.

I am getting ready to start applying to my ophthalmology programs and having a tough time coming up with a strategy so that my SO can hopefully match in the same city as me later.

I have considered trying to match into a big city for ophtho such as boston, chicago, philly, etc, and try to have my SO match there since they have a large amount of programs in each city. However I am worried coming from a small Texas school might make it difficult for both of us to match there because I've heard east coast is picky about where their students come from.

The alternative is to try and match into somewhere more regional like a Texas program so that we both have Texas ties and that might make it easier to match but even the big cities in Texas only have 2 EM programs (houston and dallas).

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

You will match in January. Then she can do an away rotation in that city....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
You will match in January. Then she can do an away rotation in that city....

Yea thats the plan. I've also been getting a lot of encouraging support with the program directors at the away rotations I've been doing when asking about this situation. It seems like most PDs really try and reach other to the other programs and help couples match together.

Yea thats the plan. I've also been getting a lot of encouraging support with the program directors at the away rotations I've been doing when asking about this situation. It seems like most PDs really try and reach other to the other programs and help couples match together.

Yeah you are actually very lucky that your apps are staggered. Her application won't be on the table. When the time comes she can rotate and you can tell your PD. EM is much less competitive. You're gonna be fine ;)