advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dodo24

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI i am an osteopathic medical student, i need some adivce. My father recently took a blood test and the PSA level was 5.86. I know the normal is 4 and that with age the prostate does enlarge. HE is 63 years old. I wanted to know is this something to be really worried about or is it not that alarming. He is gonna get it checked this week by a urologist but I couldnt wait. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

dodo24 said:
HI i am an osteopathic medical student, i need some adivce. My father recently took a blood test and the PSA level was 5.86. I know the normal is 4 and that with age the prostate does enlarge. HE is 63 years old. I wanted to know is this something to be really worried about or is it not that alarming. He is gonna get it checked this week by a urologist but I couldnt wait. thanks

The next step would be to get a biopsy of the prostate. The urologist sticks an ultrasound probe up your dad's butt and then takes biopsies of the tissue. Once the pathology comes back, then the urologist can talk about options.

For age 63 that PSA is alarming. Yes, prostate size inclrease with age, and PSA rises with this, but this is still high for 63. That being said, other things can cause the PSA to rise. What race is your father? Was this the first PSA? Any recent instrumentation (foley)? Any recent UTI? Any family history of prostate cancer? Did your father have a digital rectal exam? Barring other reasons for the PSA rise, the next appropriate step would be a biopsy as was already described. It is too early to talk about prostate cancer without a diagnosis, but he should know that the biopsy may come back malignant. However, it would likely in the very early stages and his chances at cure would be excellent. Good luck.

thanks allot for all of your help