African-American doctor depicted as a Gorilla at UCLA medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, we need to hear something from the residents and the supervisors. If they are not going to defend themselves then they look pretty guilty. Also, I don't think Dr. Head will go through all of this if it wasn't true. His reputation is at stake here.

It sounds like you're focusing on the gorilla incident, and while that's terrible and shouldn't be tolerated, it's not the most important part of this story. Yes it's blatant racism and should probably be punished, but that happens every day and while it's terrible, it's the actions of one person, not an institution; the LA wave article discussed some people present being upset about it.

The bigger issue here, if true, is the fact that he complained about discrimination and was retaliated against, which is illegal, and the institution supposedly did nothing about it. I find this much harder to believe, especially if they'd conducted an internal investigation. UCLA has good lawyers and anyone can see that this suit would make the institution look very bad. They obviously had the opportunity to fire a few people and/or settle with him quietly as these things happened 6 years ago and they've had a lot of time to look at the situation.

Therefore, either they think the claims are without merit and they'd rather fight them in court and be vindicated, or they're wrong, and stupid. I seem to think the first possibility is more likely, but who knows.

I don't doubt that his two supervisors might have made racist comments, which is terrible. The question is whether their negative evaluations towards him were only due to his race and not due to his performance, which is going to be a core issue at the trial if one happens.

Members don't see this ad.

I won't use the word to them or anything, that's rude. In person, I will call them residents and attendings.

lol, I can imagine the stress level. Yes, they will honestly be "students" forever until they are faculty or something, lol.

Folks like to stress the concept of "life-long learner". You're a student until you retire or die, in that sense.

In the literal sense where you are paying to attend a school, you cease to be a student once they slap the diploma in your hand and push you out the door.

You guys shouldn't base where you would and wouldn't want to go to medical school off of one case. Granted, I don't think many people here have the ability to say they wouldn't want to go to UCLA med, as most would probably get not get in...

I never said I didn't want to apply to UCLA anymore. And you're right, if I was lucky enough to get in I'd go in a heartbeat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ironic that people making these statements about the south are being just as prejudiced as they posit the southerners to be. The rampant southern racism of which you guys speak might be present in rural areas, I don't know. I've spent significant time in Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Orlando, Tampa, Greenville, and other cities here, and observed no more racism than I have in New York, Philadelphia, or Washington DC. Nashville and Atlanta in particular seemed very socially tolerant to me. Maybe you guys, who have probably not spent any significant time here, know better than me though ;).

Edit: While this story is heartbreaking, any of you would be stupid to not apply to Geffen. Especially you guys from California, where you are at an advantage.

I've lived there my whole life. For some reason, I've observed a lot more racism in the north (above VA) than the south. Maybe that's just me.

Would not have expected this from UCLA's medical center, including hundreds of medical professionals.

Really? I've been to the north and I haven't seen it all that much. In Alabama, if you aren't a white, christian, male, you really are an outsider. It's just sad that professionals such as doctors can't get along and behave like adults without racism.

It sounds like you're focusing on the gorilla incident, and while that's terrible and shouldn't be tolerated, it's not the most important part of this story. Yes it's blatant racism and should probably be punished, but that happens every day and while it's terrible, it's the actions of one person, not an institution; the LA wave article discussed some people present being upset about it.

The bigger issue here, if true, is the fact that he complained about discrimination and was retaliated against, which is illegal, and the institution supposedly did nothing about it. I find this much harder to believe, especially if they'd conducted an internal investigation. UCLA has good lawyers and anyone can see that this suit would make the institution look very bad. They obviously had the opportunity to fire a few people and/or settle with him quietly as these things happened 6 years ago and they've had a lot of time to look at the situation.

Therefore, either they think the claims are without merit and they'd rather fight them in court and be vindicated, or they're wrong, and stupid. I seem to think the first possibility is more likely, but who knows.

I don't doubt that his two supervisors might have made racist comments, which is terrible. The question is whether their negative evaluations towards him were only due to his race and not due to his performance, which is going to be a core issue at the trial if one happens.

You're right and that is the main purpose of his lawsuit. Plus, the incident happened in 2006 and since then had accumulated over the years. I guess he was tired of it.

Folks like to stress the concept of "life-long learner". You're a student until you retire or die, in that sense.

In the literal sense where you are paying to attend a school, you cease to be a student once they slap the diploma in your hand and push you out the door.

That's pretty aggressive and rough, lol Push me out the door after I worked blood, sweat and tears :D

Ironic that people making these statements about the south are being just as prejudiced as they posit the southerners to be. The rampant southern racism of which you guys speak might be present in rural areas, I don't know. I've spent significant time in Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Orlando, Tampa, Greenville, and other cities here, and observed no more racism than I have in New York, Philadelphia, or Washington DC. Nashville and Atlanta in particular seemed very socially tolerant to me. Maybe you guys, who have probably not spent any significant time here, know better than me though ;).

Edit: While this story is heartbreaking, any of you would be stupid to not apply to Geffen. Especially you guys from California, where you are at an advantage.

Yea, I am not from Cali and Cali schools are not on my top list. I wouldn't want to take a spot of someone from Cali who really deserves the seat. I only lived in Atlanta and New York and I never experienced racism.

Bingo. I was born and raised in the South. People always to allude to it as if people are getting lynched everyday in 2012, black people get mobbed while trying to vote, and people wake up to burning crosses in their front lawns. (Okay, I exaggerated a bit) I think many still have that Pre Civil Rights Era perception of the South in their minds. This pisses a lot of Southerners (Blacks and Whites) off.

Other parts of the country may seem more "diverse" or "open minded" but racism is still alive and well, but it definitely wears a different skirt than most people are accustomed to seeing.

Thread title is a bit deceptive; while certainly the behavior of the individuals involved as described was absolutely unacceptable (although we certainly don't know all of the details and taking a look at mainstream media like the LA times rather than more editorialized views of the issue might be instructive) this should be an indictment more of the two supervisors and the resident(s) involved rather than the institution as a whole; also, the medical school had absolutely nothing to do with it, so I'm not sure why that was in the thread title.

Obviously we don't know all the details (and they presumably do, since it seems well-documented). I think it'll end up being a lot more complicated than it seems from this obviously biased video clip. This gorilla incident supposedly happened in 2006 and he has stayed around for 6 years after it? Seems like that would be an uncomfortable working environment that one wouldn't want to stay in.

A lot of the time these things can look very clear when you only hear one side of the story but a lot muddier once all the facts are laid out. It's a sad story, though.

You need to get your head out of your sigmoid colon. These things keep happening because of people like you who prefer to look the other way and say, that this a one sided thing. This type of atmosphere exists not only in institutions of higher education but also in the private sector. People subjected to discrimination sometimes end up suffering for years before breaking down. They know that if their superiors are involved there is a likelihood that constantly bringing up the issue can cost one their job. The fact that this has gone into litigation tells me that UCLA failed to do anything about this.

You need to get your head out of your sigmoid colon. These things keep happening because of people like you who prefer to look the other way and say, that this a one sided thing. This type of atmosphere exists not only in institutions of higher education but also in the private sector. People subjected to discrimination sometimes end up suffering for years before breaking down. They know that if their superiors are involved there is a likelihood that constantly bringing up the issue can cost one their job. The fact that this has gone into litigation tells me that UCLA failed to do anything about this.

I am going to use that phrase now :), thanks HoltMD. I am going to update my fb status with this statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
If this saddens you, then obviously you haven't been to the south.

Wow, what an unfounded statement. I bet you've never been to the South. I've lived here my whole life and you shouldn't judge a region for things that occurred years ago. Don't be do naive so as to label a region entirely because of past prejudices. In fact, in the times I've been to the north (NY, Chicago, PA), I've witnessed more racist actions (directed to not only blacks but whites, Asians, and Hispanics) than here in the South.

Please let me know how waiting for all the facts before coming to a conclusion is the wrong thing to do, I'm very interested.

You realize I could find stories from around the country to back up my point right? Let's just stop before it escalates.

I'm not the one arguing that there isn't racism in the south... Just because there is also racism elsewhere doesn't mean anything.

Please let me know how waiting for all the facts before coming to a conclusion is the wrong thing to do, I'm very interested.

This litigation will allow the victim to have a "fair and balanced" environment to have all of the facts evaluated since handling the matter internally has apparently failed.

You also need to pull your head out of somewhere if you believe every claim made by anyone claiming to be a victim of discrimination or harassment is 100% true 100% of the time. For this particular case, and any other I hear of, I will reserve judgment until the actual facts are all known.

I'm not the one arguing that there isn't racism in the south... Just because there is also racism elsewhere doesn't mean anything.

Side note: In the other thread, you mentioned that you took the LSAT, MCAT and GMAT and scored in the 99% in all of them, plus you got a MBA. Why did you apply to all three and why didn't you do a JD/MD instead? You weren't interested in law school anymore

Side note: In the other thread, you mentioned that you took the LSAT, MCAT and GMAT and scored in the 99% in all of them, plus you got a MBA. Why did you apply to all three and why didn't you do a JD/MD instead? You weren't interested in law school anymore

I worked in business before deciding to change careers and had the MBA already. I was deciding between med/law but obviously chose medicine; I don't want to do both.

Really? I've been to the north and I haven't seen it all that much. In Alabama, if you aren't a white, christian, male, you really are an outsider. It's just sad that professionals such as doctors can't get along and behave like adults without racism.

I've lived in Hunstville, AL, and Birmingham, AL. I'm definitely not a white, christian person, and the people there were extremely nice and hospitable, wherever I went. I walked around the streets and people would holler "hey Stumpy, beautiful day out!." Up in DC and NY, I was scared at what people's reactions might be if I said Hello on the street.

But yeah, racism is in some areas, in some select groups, but overall people from the south have been extremely kind to me (and that's just my experience).

Did you hang out with Antoine Dodson?

I've lived in Hunstville, AL, and Birmingham, AL. I'm definitely not a white, christian person, and the people there were extremely nice and hospitable, wherever I went. I walked around the streets and people would holler "hey Stumpy, beautiful day out!." Up in DC and NY, I was scared at what people's reactions might be if I said Hello on the street.

But yeah, racism is in some areas, in some select groups, but overall people from the south have been extremely kind to me (and that's just my experience).

I'm sorry, but at first sight, I thought this video was a joke. I was thinking "Yea right. Like this would actually happen" I was very saddened to find out this is 100% true. Man... somehow, I never want to step on UCLA campus... ever. I don't care if they find a cure for cancer. NEVER going there, where higher-ups don't give a sh-t about decency of being a human.

You would probably be shock by the stuff that happens to me, ( I am a black female living in Palm Beach, FL)

like what? i'm from mass so its fairly liberal up here... then again i'm not URM so i dont know as much i suppose.

what i'm wondering is how on earth did these people even get into medical school? If they are racist wouldn't they have been screened out through the interview? geez.

:laugh: I'm not arguing that. Of course there's racism there and everywhere else. You missed my point, or else I didn't express it clearly enough. I often hear people on a high-horse talk about the south as if it's the epicenter of racism, while never acknowledging that it exists elsewhere or that they lack the actual knowledge to make their assertions. I know this to not be true, and furthermore know many cities in the south to be extremely welcoming to all kinds of people. Yes, it exists, but in some places it's actually better than cities farther north. Simply posting a video of an isolated incident is misleading, and you know it is. Especially one not even in Nashville.

The racial issue is tertiary to the complete lack of professionalism and public ridicule. The racism doesn't surprise me because I know that racists still exist, but the shear lack of tact and professionalism among supposedly respectable adults sounds unprecendented and I find it absolutely mind-blowing.

I just cannot fathom what was going through their heads.

kanye west has a great line about this. "racism still alive, they just be concealing it"

The racial issue is tertiary to the complete lack of professionalism and public ridicule. The racism doesn't surprise me because I know that racists still exist, but the shear lack of tact and professionalism among supposedly respectable adults sounds unprecendented and I find it absolutely mind-blowing.

and this... it really wasn't even funny. didn't make sense to me :confused: if it had been clever w/o the racism or humiliation, there wouldnt be a story

The racial issue is tertiary to the complete lack of professionalism and public ridicule. The racism doesn't surprise me because I know that racists still exist, but the shear lack of tact and professionalism among supposedly respectable adults sounds unprecedented and I find it absolutely mind-blowing.

Well stated. I read the LA Times article about this situation and after reading the comments from the readers, I am speechless. Many are blaming him because he is an "Affirmative Action" physician and therefore, should just shut up. How blatantly racist? I feel like we are moving backwards. Sad!

Some pretty raunchy/offensive comedic skits happen all over the country every year during resident/faculty roasts and graduation. It sounds like it could have been one of those situations.

Some pretty raunchy/offensive comedic skits happen all over the country every year during resident/faculty roasts and graduation. It sounds like it could have been one of those situations.

Really??????

kanye west has a great line about this. "racism still alive, they just be concealing it"
the self-proclaimed genius saying something really obvious to everyone else...god i hate that arrogant prick.
The only 2 songs I like by him are Good Life + Flashing Lights...I think those two are before he became such an ass.

I guess they meant UCLA is racist to what they did to the doctor. I can see that as an issue and also they believe a lot of students won't attend an institution where there are not a lot of African-American faculty present.

I am definitely not applying to UCLA for medical school and residency

I wouldn't let this deter you. Apply to CDU/UCLA!!!

This is an interesting abstract discussion; let's look at the data.

Interestingly Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia had a surprisingly low (to me anyways) amount of hate crimes but did less well in other metrics.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-most-tolerant-and-least-tolerant-states.html

:laugh: I'm not arguing that. Of course there's racism there and everywhere else. You missed my point, or else I didn't express it clearly enough. I often hear people on a high-horse talk about the south as if it's the epicenter of racism, while never acknowledging that it exists elsewhere or that they lack the actual knowledge to make their assertions. I know this to not be true, and furthermore know many cities in the south to be extremely welcoming to all kinds of people. Yes, it exists, but in some places it's actually better than cities farther north. Simply posting a video of an isolated incident is misleading, and you know it is. Especially one not even in Nashville.

You have to understand that the resentment of Dr. Head's peers is largely due to affirmative action. Racism, while not dead, is much less today then it was 50 years ago.

AA creates racism in all of us. His white and asian colleagues don't believe that he deserves to be there. They think that he got a large boost because of his skin color (and the truth is that he did, maybe not him individually but african american applicant on the whole largely do). We all know that African Americans get into better places with lower numbers and that frankly causes resentment in some people, and you would be surprised how many "higher up" people this includes. The higher up you go the worse it gets. We all want to be able to say that we are the best, and some people will belittle others with every chance they can get.

In my opinion, stopping affirmative action may be the only way to end such racism.

You have to understand that the resentment of Dr. Head's peers is largely due to affirmative action. Racism, while not dead, is much less today then it was 50 years ago.

AA creates racism in all of us. His white and asian colleagues don't believe that he deserves to be there. They think that he got a large boost because of his skin color (and the truth is that he did, maybe not him individually but african american applicant on the whole largely do). We all know that African Americans get into better places with lower numbers and that frankly causes resentment in some people, and you would be surprised how many "higher up" people this includes. The higher up you go the worse it gets. We all want to be able to say that we are the best, and some people will belittle others with every chance they can get.

In my opinion, stopping affirmative action may be the only way to end such racism.

You do realize that white men have been getting their way for decades just because they are white. Do you? That is why we have programs to balance the playing field. Not because ALL whites and Asians are geniuses and this is the only way people of color or women can achieve their educational goals.

I'm sure you have heard of this white dude/genius guy lately: :laugh: He almost got away with it. I bet people believed him primarily because he is a white dude.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/20162/yahoo_ceo_resigns_over_resume_cv_error_thompson_fired_by_loeb

Well stated. I read the LA Times article about this situation and after reading the comments from the readers, I am speechless. Many are blaming him because he is an "Affirmative Action" physician and therefore, should just shut up. How blatantly racist? I feel like we are moving backwards. Sad!

I don't think we're moving backwards, we're certainly farther along now than we were decades ago. Really, "racism" isnt as prevalent as it once was. What we see more of today is stereotyping and less of the full-blown "I'm inherently superior because of such and such" racism.

I think it's important that we distinguish personal bias from racism, because the two are not equivalent and one is MUCH worse than the other. We all have bias, every one of us. We live in a society that thrives on stereotyping and categorizing, and race-baiters and government quotas play just a big a role in this as racists do. Until we stop talking so much about race this will always be the case. This is a rather extreme case of what appears to be full-blown racism and an exception to my point, but I think people do get carried away calling things racist that really arent.

And again, the bigger issue here is what **** were they thinking in publically ridiculing a fellow doctor in such a way?

You do realize that white men have been getting their way for decades just because they are white. Do you? That is why we have programs to balance the playing field. Not because ALL whites and Asians are geniuses and this is the only way people of color or women can achieve their educational goals.

I'm sure you have heard of this white dude/genius guy lately: :laugh: He almost got away with it. I bet people believed him primarily because he is a white dude.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/20162/yahoo_ceo_resigns_over_resume_cv_error_thompson_fired_by_loeb

sure but your solution is basically reverse racism. You can't fix, heal, or mend the acts of wrongdoing that our human ancestors have committed, the only way to really re-establish equilibrium is to bring society to equivalence.

Pre-meds even harbor resentment towards URM applicants.. why? When a white/asian applicant has to achieve a 3.6+ GPA to get into the same medical school as a URM with a 3.3 of course theres going to be resentment.This kind of attitude will carry on.

Face it, pre-med sucks. Its almost like the holocaust, we're all trying to survive until we're rescued but imagine if specific prisoners were given more food than others? Yeah the other prisoners aren't going to stay indifferent, in fact they might even try to kill off that person.

What i can't seem to understand is this; how does a person's skin color change their socioeconomic status? Why can't a WHITE or ASIAN applicant that was dirt poor growing up get the same kind of sympathy and "ease" of entering medicine like a URM applicant? I know plenty of people at my university that are URM and have parents making over 200k.. yet somehow 3 of them got admitted to our early medical school selection program (5 seats total) where 2 of them had GPAs in the 3.30-3.40 range... and before any of you ask i had a jewish friend apply with a 3.92, research, and ec experience and not even get an interview?

These are examples of the inequalities placed upon the medical education process by higher ups. The URM's are the benefactors of chance and should not be blamed for the advantages they are given, however, these "advantages" have side effects such as the stereotyping and generalized dislike of URM classification by non-URMs.

Maybe that's what bitter, resentful, intolerant white and Asian people think. I'm a white person who does not begrudge URMs for getting into "better" medical schools and residency positions today because, in the future, the goal is that we do not HAVE underrepresented minorities in medicine.

As someone that has lived in the West, Midwest, South, and Northeast (I have moved to a different state over 9 times), I can tell you that racism was a much greater issue in the South than anywhere else I have ever lived (and I've lived in many different states). Let's not pretend that there isn't a historical precedent for this either. You don't just "change" a widespread cultural viewpoint in 50 years. This is a place that still flies confederate flags proudly on their dorms and fraternity halls all the time. Hell, one state put it on their state capital.

This is not to say that people in the south are somehow evil or inherently racist. Racism exists everywhere. I will say that I have seen about the same amount of racism in the West, only towards Hispanics. Hispanics, as the dominant minority in the West, are victims of many different types of discrimination and racism, and hearing the way people openly talk about it (when no Hispanics are around) just makes me cringe.

No one is special.

sure but your solution is basically reverse racism. You can't fix, heal, or mend the acts of wrongdoing that our human ancestors have committed, the only way to really re-establish equilibrium is to bring society to equivalence.

Pre-meds even harbor resentment towards URM applicants.. why? When a white/asian applicant has to achieve a 3.6+ GPA to get into the same medical school as a URM with a 3.3 of course theres going to be resentment.This kind of attitude will carry on.

Face it, pre-med sucks. Its almost like the holocaust, we're all trying to survive until we're rescued but imagine if specific prisoners were given more food than others? Yeah the other prisoners aren't going to stay indifferent, in fact they might even try to kill off that person.

What i can't seem to understand is this; how does a person's skin color change their socioeconomic status? Why can't a WHITE or ASIAN applicant that was dirt poor growing up get the same kind of sympathy and "ease" of entering medicine like a URM applicant? I know plenty of people at my university that are URM and have parents making over 200k.. yet somehow 3 of them got admitted to our early medical school selection program (5 seats total) where 2 of them had GPAs in the 3.30-3.40 range... and before any of you ask i had a jewish friend apply with a 3.92, research, and ec experience and not even get an interview?

These are examples of the inequalities placed upon the medical education process by higher ups. The URM's are the benefactors of chance and should not be blamed for the advantages they are given, however, these "advantages" have side effects such as the stereotyping and generalized dislike of URM classification by non-URMs.

Yes, being pre-med is TOTALLY like the Holocaust. Christ. :rolleyes:

im a crack shot with a rubber band and a paper clip and i know where the 10M HCl in our labs is stored. i advocate premed hunting :smuggrin:

Are gorillas considered URM, guys? or disadvantaged? Cause, like, I got a gorilla suit for my birthday last year, and I bet I could check the gorilla box without anyone noticing, even at interviews.

Pretty disturbing news to hear even to a pre-dent.... but listen, I have a weird feeling that this thread's not gonna last long.