African-American doctor depicted as a Gorilla at UCLA medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Humans prefer to be in line with "the power". If there is a probability of danger (of any kind; to lose the slightests satisfaction counts), they hush. To be more entails character.

Members don't see this ad.

I was totally on board with the video until about 4 minutes in, when suddenly they decided that one specific department at the medical center represents the entire school of ~100,000 students, faculty and staff.

Punish those responsible (goes without saying), but spreading propaganda is kind of silly. Almost as silly as debating race with strangers over the internet.

It's pretty sad and it's definitely heart-breaking :(, :mad:

[YOUTUBE]9eMwYtycb_I[/YOUTUBE]

A respected African American faculty surgeon filed a racial discrimination suit against the UCLA Medical Center and UC Regents. Dr. Christian Head has been intentionally degraded based on his race and UCLA officials have ignored blatant acts of racial discrimination, including an edited photo depicting Dr. Head as a gorilla being sodomized by his supervisor. That alone is offensive. But the fact that the photo was publicly presented for laughs during an annual medical school sponsored event attended by more than 200 physicians, faculty, residents and guests is both shocking and indefensible. Hear what Dr. Head has endured and what UCLA officials continue ignore.
Im not going to lie, this got me shook a little. If they treating a top surgeon like this, how would they treat me as a powerless medical student?

Members don't see this ad :)
i was totally on board with the video until about 4 minutes in, when suddenly they decided that one specific department at the medical center represents the entire school of ~100,000 students, faculty and staff.

Punish those responsible (goes without saying), but spreading propaganda is kind of silly. almost as silly as debating race with strangers over the internet.

:hungover:

First of all, why was anyone posed in a sexual position in a meeting amongst medical professionals? Why would he be portrayed as a gorilla, an in fact heavily rationally offensive type of thing. Does this really happen today? Makes me think back to old 80s movies with well to do southern cali kids picking on people in high school, doesn't it people? Is this an old boys network kind of prank versus the minority? To me its like wow, you are just saying he takes it up the ass to white men all the time. I mean who would actually think in this context or have time to think in this context when they should be concentrating on their work? Don't get me wrong, I sometimes really enjoy racial jokes, I like it when groups make fun of each other in a fun way (if they feel comfortable), but this is beyond too far, this is from another time, seemingly another planet. I'm glad he is standing up for his beliefs.

What happened to the doctor was just wrong.

They can't just go and call UCLA racist though. Just because California doesn't do the whole AA thing doesn't mean UCLA is a discriminative school.
Yeah, I'm not sure what they were getting at by listing statistics of diversity (or lack thereof) in the department, without giving some broader descriptions of what other programs are like.

Hopefully I won't see this to this extreme when I *hopefully* become a doctor... You wouldn't expect this in 2012. This is pretty disappointing. I really hope to see this less in the peter pan generation...

Hopefully I won't see this to this extreme when I *hopefully* become a doctor... You wouldn't expect this in 2012. This is pretty disappointing. I really hope to see this less in the peter pan generation...
your avatar just makes me wanna go "aww"...:oops: