African-American doctor depicted as a Gorilla at UCLA medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Insert 50 hitler post here

godwin.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

You have to understand that the resentment of Dr. Head's peers is largely due to affirmative action. Racism, while not dead, is much less today then it was 50 years ago.

AA creates racism in all of us. His white and asian colleagues don't believe that he deserves to be there. They think that he got a large boost because of his skin color (and the truth is that he did, maybe not him individually but african american applicant on the whole largely do). We all know that African Americans get into better places with lower numbers and that frankly causes resentment in some people, and you would be surprised how many "higher up" people this includes. The higher up you go the worse it gets. We all want to be able to say that we are the best, and some people will belittle others with every chance they can get.

In my opinion, stopping affirmative action may be the only way to end such racism.

How do you know that he became a doctor due to affirmative action? I am black and both my GPA and MCAT are higher than the median at the medical schools(not howard or meharry) that I got accepted to. There is no way that he would be such a great surgeon if he was too dumb to get into medical school and relied solely on affirmative action. If they ended affirmative action today, there would still be racist jackasses who would think they are better than blacks due to the color of their skin.

How do you know that he became a doctor due to affirmative action? I am black and both my GPA and MCAT are higher than the median at the medical schools(not howard or meharry) that I got accepted to. There is no way that he would be such a great surgeon if he was too dumb to get into medical school and relied solely on affirmative action. If they ended affirmative action today, there would still be racist jackasses who would think they are better than blacks due to the color of their skin.

Hey man, note the disclaimer I put in ( ). I'm not saying anything about him individually, it's just the overall general attitude that black applicants get in with much lower numbers. This attitude carries on a long way throughout one's career, and the people my parents work with do belittle URMs because they think they all got where they are today because of AA, it's a fact of life I'm afraid. This stuff never dies down.

It's the general attitude that AA brings about. When was the last time you had a level headed and calm discussion about AA with someone? It just doesn't happen. There are some really smart black dudes and ladies out there, no doubt about it. People are just going to make over generalizations about the situation no matter what the individual case may be. That's why, for any of these generalization to stop, the process behind it has to go away. Again, this is just my opinion (which doesn't matter anyway).

Members don't see this ad :)
this sucks, but let's be honest racism exists everywhere, and it's not restricted to only African Americans.

Hey man, note the disclaimer I put in ( ). I'm not saying anything about him individually, it's just the overall general attitude that black applicants get in with much lower numbers. This attitude carries on a long way throughout one's career, and the people my parents work with do belittle URMs because they think they all got where they are today because of AA, it's a fact of life I'm afraid. This stuff never dies down.

It's the general attitude that AA brings about. When was the last time you had a level headed and calm discussion about AA with someone? It just doesn't happen. There are some really smart black dudes and ladies out there, no doubt about it. People are just going to make over generalizations about the situation no matter what the individual case may be. That's why, for any of these generalization to stop, the process behind it has to go away. Again, this is just my opinion (which doesn't matter anyway).

This "attitude" will exist whether you have official AA policy or not. The type of people who usually start their political nonsense ideas with the "I don't want to sound racist but...." will always find a way to assume things that shouldn't be assumed and that are honestly none of their business.

Thread title is a bit deceptive; while certainly the behavior of the individuals involved as described was absolutely unacceptable (although we certainly don't know all of the details and taking a look at mainstream media like the LA times rather than more editorialized views of the issue might be instructive) this should be an indictment more of the two supervisors and the resident(s) involved rather than the institution as a whole; also, the medical school had absolutely nothing to do with it, so I'm not sure why that was in the thread title.

Obviously we don't know all the details (and they presumably do, since it seems well-documented). I think it'll end up being a lot more complicated than it seems from this obviously biased video clip. This gorilla incident supposedly happened in 2006 and he has stayed around for 6 years after it? Seems like that would be an uncomfortable working environment that one wouldn't want to stay in.

A lot of the time these things can look very clear when you only hear one side of the story but a lot muddier once all the facts are laid out. It's a sad story, though.

Wow. Judging from this conversation thread. You are a huge d*ck.

I'm going to cast this in overt racial terms and I wouldn't be surprised if you were a white male. They are always the ones who try to deny that racism exists.

Probably because it doesn't adversely affect them, so they want to believe that it doesn't.

wtf.. i didn't even know this kind of stuff happend in this day and age
I find the majority of upper/middle-class caucasians don't think racism exists anymore at all. They are wrong.

You would probably be shock by the stuff that happens to me, ( I am a black female living in Palm Beach, FL)
Exactly.
racism exists?
racism exists among "educated" people?
Whoa, mind blow.

naive individuals should visit the south/appalachian region some time...
Don't even have to go that far, california is close enough.. :mad:

I laughed when he described the picture, I am a horrible person...
really? it didn't seem funny at all to me. Then again... oh nevermind.

I'm sure you'll be missed.
just because you can be a douchebag doesn't mean you have to be a douchebag.

You have to understand that the resentment of Dr. Head's peers is largely due to affirmative action. Racism, while not dead, is much less today then it was 50 years ago.

AA creates racism in all of us. His white and asian colleagues don't believe that he deserves to be there. They think that he got a large boost because of his skin color (and the truth is that he did, maybe not him individually but african american applicant on the whole largely do). We all know that African Americans get into better places with lower numbers and that frankly causes resentment in some people, and you would be surprised how many "higher up" people this includes. The higher up you go the worse it gets. We all want to be able to say that we are the best, and some people will belittle others with every chance they can get.

In my opinion, stopping affirmative action may be the only way to end such racism.

Right, because racism only started after affirmative action.

sure but your solution is basically reverse racism. You can't fix, heal, or mend the acts of wrongdoing that our human ancestors have committed, the only way to really re-establish equilibrium is to bring society to equivalence.

Pre-meds even harbor resentment towards URM applicants.. why? When a white/asian applicant has to achieve a 3.6+ GPA to get into the same medical school as a URM with a 3.3 of course theres going to be resentment.This kind of attitude will carry on.

Face it, pre-med sucks. Its almost like the holocaust, we're all trying to survive until we're rescued but imagine if specific prisoners were given more food than others? Yeah the other prisoners aren't going to stay indifferent, in fact they might even try to kill off that person.

What i can't seem to understand is this; how does a person's skin color change their socioeconomic status? Why can't a WHITE or ASIAN applicant that was dirt poor growing up get the same kind of sympathy and "ease" of entering medicine like a URM applicant? I know plenty of people at my university that are URM and have parents making over 200k.. yet somehow 3 of them got admitted to our early medical school selection program (5 seats total) where 2 of them had GPAs in the 3.30-3.40 range... and before any of you ask i had a jewish friend apply with a 3.92, research, and ec experience and not even get an interview?

These are examples of the inequalities placed upon the medical education process by higher ups. The URM's are the benefactors of chance and should not be blamed for the advantages they are given, however, these "advantages" have side effects such as the stereotyping and generalized dislike of URM classification by non-URMs.

You should never be allowed to speak again.

This attitude carries on a long way throughout one's career, and the people my parents work with do belittle URMs because they think they all got where they are today because of AA, it's a fact of life I'm afraid.

Or maybe they can't fathom the idea that a URM can actually be intelligent and hardworking enough to accomplish anything. Well, at least I now know that the majority of my white colleagues will not respect me, no matter how talented I am. Maybe I should just tattoo my stats on my forehead and see if that fixes the problem.

Are gorillas considered URM, guys? or disadvantaged? Cause, like, I got a gorilla suit for my birthday last year, and I bet I could check the gorilla box without anyone noticing, even at interviews.

Brilliant! I'm sure your redneck family members will be proud of you. :laugh:

Or maybe they can't fathom the idea that a URM can actually be intelligent and hardworking enough to accomplish anything. Well, at least I now know that the majority of my white colleagues will not respect me, no matter how talented I am. Maybe I should just tattoo my stats on my forehead and see if that fixes the problem.

Now that's funny!!! :laugh: No, sadly I don't think that will solve the problem. My coworkers and family members frown upon me dating a non-white person. Like that's going to stop me.LOL

However, the sad thing is that racism will always be with us because insecure people will always exist. It's called illusory superiority.

That is pretty terrible the way he was portrayed but don't associate one region with being more racist than the other. Racism exists in the hearts of certain people, not places. I'm from florida and tbh a lot of the places in florida are highly liberal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, nope.

Apparently nowadays waiting for all the info to come out and not rushing to judgment is racist.

How would you rather have it? "he said, it doesn't matter what she said"? Why even bother having the trial, they're obviously guilty, right?

I'm going to cast this in overt racial terms and I wouldn't be surprised if you were a white male. They are always the ones who try to deny that racism exists.

Probably because it doesn't adversely affect them, so they want to believe that it doesn't.

Last edited:
wow......
And for those saying this has nothing to do with UCLA's medical school, how does it not?

This happened at one of their teaching hospitals where I presume medical students rotate during clinical years. I would be horrified at the prospect of rotating through an institution/program that turned a blind eye to overt racism.

Sorry, nope.

Actually, we can statistically plot what race Drizzt is by MCAT scores. Now, Drizz has said he scored in the 99% on the MCAT. Taking aggregates of applicants who have applied with an MCAT in the 99% from the AAMC table, we get the following stats. These are approximates:

63% white
34% asian
2% hispanic
1% black

So there is a 63% chance that Drizz is white. However, now that Drizz has said he is not white, there is a 34% chance that he is asian. However, on the off chance there is a 3% chance that he is black or hispanic.

wow......
And for those saying this has nothing to do with UCLA's medical school, how does it not?

This happened at one of their teaching hospitals where I presume medical students rotate during clinical years. I would be horrified at the prospect of rotating through an institution/program that turned a blind eye to overt racism.

This is my biggest question as well.

Here's an article from the LA Wave about Dr. Head.

I'm surprised this hasn't blown up nationally. This seems like the kind of story that would be on Nightline, 20/20, or in the NY Times.

UCLA- U Cee Lots of A******

Went there for undergrad, volunteered in the hospital. Ultra-arrogance and smugness run deep and can be seen at pretty much any level. Douchebaggery and racism are pandemic.

2 racist incidences made national news in the last 3 years. Anyone still remember Alexandra Wallace?

This scenario as it was described was just awful, but the subsequent treatment he received one could argue was worse.

I don't believe the responsible residents nor the faculty have klan sympathies, I'm sure it was a misunderstanding entirely and certainly just an overall bad decision from whomever was responsible. But the opportunity to rectify that mistake was just completely botched, it seems like instead of owning up to it and making amends they actually went on offense against him which really speaks to their character.

A mistake anyone can make, but only the truly ****ed up would do something like that. Threatening cutting off tenure, making false malpractice accusations, cutting his salary. If these are true and are tied to this incidient.. WTF UCLA?

Last edited:
I am surprised that this happened and I am not sure how they didn't see this as racism. Also, it is a shame that some of you all took this post as an opportunity to stereotype a group of people who had nothing to do with the story.

I'm pretty sure what you just said is racist and stereotyping.

So before you get on board the self righteous anti racist train, please remove your head from your butt.

Actually, we can statistically plot what race Drizzt is by MCAT scores. Now, Drizz has said he scored in the 99% on the MCAT. Taking aggregates of applicants who have applied with an MCAT in the 99% from the AAMC table, we get the following stats. These are approximates:

63% white
34% asian
2% hispanic
1% black

So there is a 63% chance that Drizz is white. However, now that Drizz has said he is not white, there is a 34% chance that he is asian. However, on the off chance there is a 3% chance that he is black or hispanic.

No actually. If he's not white, we can be 90% sure he's asian

Irony- when people mention racial discrimination it's always the evil white man committing the act.

seriously, white people see tons of racism too. I mean when zimmerman shot trayvon the first thing people said was "OMG WHITE PEOPLE ARE RACIST" when the shooter was hispanic, lol.

What a joke.

Irony- when people mention racial discrimination it's always the evil white man committing the act.

seriously, white people see tons of racism too. I mean when zimmerman shot trayvon the first thing people said was "OMG WHITE PEOPLE ARE RACIST" when the shooter was hispanic, lol.

What a joke.

You're forgetting that even after zimmerman was identified the liberal news media still called him a "white hispanic". What is a white hispanic?

Exactly. People need to actually witness places before they speak. I live in Alabama. I didn't marry my cousin. I don't hate black people, gay people, or atheists. I know people who are very, very intelligent. I know stupid people. I know democrats. I know republicans. I don't go to church and don't worry guys, I'm still allowed to speak in public settings. So are homosexuals and black people.

Threads like this make me sad for all parts of America.

:thumbup:

As someone who lived in northern and southern Alabama, I can attest to this.

I swear that if I was Dr. Head, I would have gone ghetto on them and beat the hell out of them....

What a joke.

That's probably because they know history.

You're forgetting that even after zimmerman was identified the liberal news media still called him a "white hispanic". What is a white hispanic?

Hispanic is not a race. It is a linguistic category.

People from the Dominican Republic would be considered black hispanics.

People from Spain (or Argentina, etc) would be considered white hispanics.

Your ignorance is showing.

Andale!

I like your style. I also think people don't know a lot about history. It is as if they quickly forget or maybe don't learn it in school!!! Knowing history is supposed to prevent us to make the same mistakes as in the past. Of course, we tend to fail.

Your ignorance is not any better.

Crude generalizations are really starting to piss me off.

White individuals endure discrimination, and there are racist acts against white people every single day. Here comes a big shocker.... there are racist acts committed by all races against all races every single day in this country. :wow:

Should you choose to be the hero and advocate for virtue and the truth, please advocate for the whole truth and not knit-pick what benefits you or your argument. Be more sensitive and acknowledge all of the victims of racism; other than that, your arguments are pretty sound. :thumbup:

i just want to say that your signature is extremely stupid. the mcat, like the SAT, is a joke compared to the usmle step 1. stop being so dramatic. if you can't get a decent score on the mcat, it means that you didn't really understand anything in your pre-requisite courses.

That is pretty terrible the way he was portrayed but don't associate one region with being more racist than the other. Racism exists in the hearts of certain people, not places. I'm from florida and tbh a lot of the places in florida are highly liberal.
Maybe South FL... after crossing the border of Palm Beach County, FL is the deep south (taking out part of orange county, which includes Orlando)... North FL is a ****ty hole when it comes to treatment of people that are not caucasians.

you are a racist idiot and you practice the very thing you preach against; making you truly ignorant.

temperature said:
Maybe South FL... after crossing the border of Palm Beach County, FL is the deep south (taking out part of orange county, which includes Orlando)... North FL is a ****ty hole when it comes to treatment of people that are not caucasians

? I went to school in north florida and it was the most liberal area ever. The gay straight alliance was the biggest club at my school, lol. Ive been to alabama, georgia, and florida..several parts of each state. People watch cheese horror movies where in bred people walk around killing out of towners and think..."OMG DA SOUTH= IN BREDS"

For your info, there are about 15-20% white hispanics in Dominican Republic. It's funny tough that the black dominican will disagree with you if you call them black. They like to be called MORENO ("BROWN" in english translation).

Last edited:
I don't have resentments towards URMs who might have gotten in due to lower scores...pre-meds who do are probably nasty and smelly people who arent chill and laid back :p

what weve learned from this thread: white people- bad black people- good.

The idea that all of the different races get along and racism is dead is laughable. All we do is tolerate each other. Most neighborhoods are by and large separated based on race. Sure you are going to have a few minorities in affluent areas but that is about it. This leads to many schools being segregated by race. Most of the time, whites and blacks do not date or marry each other. If our society was post racial and colorblind then why is it that you do not see an extremely large amount of interracial couples, especially in the south? The reason is because most whites and blacks know that their families would not accept someone of another race. Let's just admit it and stop this color blind crap. The first thing you see is the color of someones skin and you begin to have preconceived notions, both consciously and sub consciously.

I believe that affirmative action should be income based but as a black man it pisses me off when people pretend that racism does not exist.

I don't have resentments towards URMs who might have gotten in due to lower scores...pre-meds who do are probably nasty and smelly people who arent chill and laid back :p

:thumbup:

The idea that white people don't experience discrimination is probably the most widespread lie in America today.

Define racism however you wish (many argue that only a minority can experience racism) but the fact is that discrimination can be found anywhere. From my extensive experience living and working in very large (often poorer) urban centers, I can say that the most blatant and hateful "racism" I consistently witness comes from blacks directed at whites and, even moreso, hispanics. The lower-middle to lower class African American exhibits, BY FAR, the most hate filled vitriol and actions in my experience. In addition, African-American males account for 68% of all interracial crime in this country, with hispanics accounting for 24% and whites accounting for 6%.

In other words, racism exists and it isnt all whitey's fault.

Everyone experiences discrimination period. As long as we can find a single difference from each other, we are bound to discriminate. Tis life. "But it's not about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done."

The idea that white people don't experience discrimination is probably the most widespread lie in America today.

Define racism however you wish (many argue that only a minority can experience racism) but the fact is that discrimination can be found anywhere. From my extensive experience living and working in very large (often poorer) urban centers, I can say that the most blatant and hateful "racism" I consistently witness comes from blacks directed at whites and, even moreso, hispanics. The lower-middle to lower class African American exhibits, BY FAR, the most hate filled vitriol and actions in my experience. In addition, African-American males account for 68% of all interracial crime in this country, with hispanics accounting for 24% and whites accounting for 6%.

In other words, racism exists and it isnt all whitey's fault.

Lower class whites and blacks do tend to be the most blatantly racist.