AMA - D2 at NYUCD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh so they're not classmates of yours?
Just curious- do you think that is a better living situation than someone who lives with classmates or worse?

I think it will be better for me personally, but it just depends on the individual

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's times like this that I wish I could build my own mansion in the middle of the school with a helipad and a helicopter to make city explorations better and the close proximity to school helps with my sanity.

@Bifenthrin What are your thoughts on biking to school? Or biking to subway then from subway to school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean tbh, I wouldn't bike in Manhattan. Most people are fine, but people do get in accidents doing it. I had a friend who was hit by a car while riding his bike in Manhattan when we were seniors in high school; he spent a few days in a coma before succumbing to his injuries. Since then the idea of biking here has terrified me...

But if you're adamant about it, there are Citibikes. I think membership is like 100 a year or something of the sort and there are two Citibike stations very close to school, one on E23rd and one on E25th.

Also though, remember that winters here can be awful. This winter from end of January to like mid-March we constantly had snow on the ground. At times, over a foot. And biking in that is pretty bad. Plus it was cold as crap all winter, so I imagine biking in that weather is less than pleasant. And it also rains a lot, hah.

Anybody have any input in this...,?

Agree or disagree?

There is a specific question on the application that asks if you are enrolled in another health profession program, including being a DA. If you need the GPA boost, it sounds like the post-bac is the best way to go, then masters then others.

There is a specific question on the application that asks if you are enrolled in another health profession program, including being a DA. If you need the GPA boost, it sounds like the post-bac is the best way to go, then masters then others.
Thank you ajj70

I made my decision.

I will stick to dental hygiene, and continue applying to dental schools.

I already put down in the app that I am enrolled into a dental hygiene program.

If I do not get accepted this cycle, for entering fall 2016, then I will become a dental hygienist for the future into my journey trying to get into dental school.

Then I will look into masters while working as a hygienist, if still not accepted !

I hope I get accepted ASAP

I don't want to be scraping teeth all day!

I want to make Treatment plans and drill all day, and make patients happy!

I mean tbh, I wouldn't bike in Manhattan. Most people are fine, but people do get in accidents doing it. I had a friend who was hit by a car while riding his bike in Manhattan when we were seniors in high school; he spent a few days in a coma before succumbing to his injuries. Since then the idea of biking here has terrified me...

But if you're adamant about it, there are Citibikes. I think membership is like 100 a year or something of the sort and there are two Citibike stations very close to school, one on E23rd and one on E25th.

Also though, remember that winters here can be awful. This winter from end of January to like mid-March we constantly had snow on the ground. At times, over a foot. And biking in that is pretty bad. Plus it was cold as crap all winter, so I imagine biking in that weather is less than pleasant. And it also rains a lot, hah.

Oh I definitely wouldn't bike in the winter. Only on nice days with a low chance of rain.

Thanks for the insight.

I'm not on a scholarship, so it doesn't affect me.

It's possible to maintain a 3.0 if you try, I guess. It's getting A's that's difficult, B's are not much of an issue.

Do you by any chance know how many people have scholarships/what the average stats of scholarship recipients are?

not many people have scholarships, and you have to maintain a 3.2-3.3 (you can try to negotiate if you're borderline when you have it). it's for 25,000/year for all 4 years. stats vary. you can send me a private message if you want to know more, but don't bank on getting an academic scholarship from NYU.

if you want a scholarship, in terms of a full ride or something..look into joining the military or NHSC. much better deals than what NYU can provide in my opinion

not many people have scholarships, and you have to maintain a 3.2-3.3 (you can try to negotiate if you're borderline when you have it). it's for 25,000/year for all 4 years. stats vary. you can send me a private message if you want to know more, but don't bank on getting an academic scholarship from NYU.

if you want a scholarship, in terms of a full ride or something..look into joining the military or NHSC. much better deals than what NYU can provide in my opinion

The scholarships that are given to students with the acceptance invitation, require you to maintain a 3.0. Mine was actually 20k.

@Bifenthrin Do you happen to know about when we'll be informed of where to actually go for orientation? I assume we all just pile into the dental school on Monday at 8? Total noob question, I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.2 oGPA, 2.9 sGPA, 3.7 MA GPA, 21 AA 20 TS and 19 PAT. Plus five years as a dental assistant and a year of research in neurotoxicity. Application was mailed October 26th.

What other schools have you applied to with those stats and what were the outcomes? Any other interviews and acceptances? Thanks for this thread, btw!

What other schools have you applied to with those stats and what were the outcomes? Any other interviews and acceptances? Thanks for this thread, btw!

I didn't apply broadly. I applied to like nine schools total, most of them out of my league. NYU was the only interview and acceptance. Digging up an old post of mine, I applied to Tufts, BU, UMDNJ, UConn, UPenn, Temple, Columbia, and Stonybrook, in addition to NYU.

I didn't apply broadly because I had no intention of going further than MA/PA.

I hope this question doesn't come off as offensive/rude to anyone! I heard a rumor that after D1, a lot of students get "cut" from the program, is this true?

No, it's not true. We lost a total of 15 over the course of D1 and D2 but that was due to them either leaving for personal or medical reasons, or literally failing out.

you have to actively try to fail out. remediating is a different story, but failing out is tough

Thank you for the reply! I was wondering, what happens to students if they fail a course? Do they repeat the whole year or just the course?

@hh24 if you don't meet a 70, or a 69.5 you remediate over the summer. you fail remediation, you repeat the year.

well then they must have changed it for you guys

I am also a D2, well officially D3 since July and I am also a student with a scholarship at NYU. There are 2 different scholarships that I know of. I have the one that is 20k/year and the GPA requirement is 3.0. As toothdriller2k17 there is another scholarship that is for 25k/year and the GPA requirement is 3.3.

I know someone who has the one for 25k and their stats (GPA and DAT) were very very high upon acceptance at NYU. So I guess that's why they got the extra 5k/year. However, as was mentioned previously these scholarships are extremely competitive and I would venture a guess that very few students actually have them.

I see a lot of talk about Netter's for head/neck and Wheeler's for dental, etc. Are the books that we get through VitalBook sufficient or would you recommend Netter's/Wheeler's or others?

I am also a D2, well officially D3 since July and I am also a student with a scholarship at NYU. There are 2 different scholarships that I know of. I have the one that is 20k/year and the GPA requirement is 3.0. As toothdriller2k17 there is another scholarship that is for 25k/year and the GPA requirement is 3.3.

I know someone who has the one for 25k and their stats (GPA and DAT) were very very high upon acceptance at NYU. So I guess that's why they got the extra 5k/year. However, as was mentioned previously these scholarships are extremely competitive and I would venture a guess that very few students actually have them.
Did you get the scholarship upon acceptance to NYUCD or did you apply for the scholarship when you started the dental school?
That's different from OKU?

I hope this question doesn't come off as offensive/rude to anyone! I heard a rumor that after D1, a lot of students get "cut" from the program, is this true?
There are almost 400 students in one class at NYUCD. Not all of them pursue straight A's. Some people, maybe mostly, aim for just passing. But what happen if you do that is you might get a 69.5 or something close so that you fail the course. But in many cases professors give you extra credit or curves to pass everyone. Because they also don't want to stay and teach remediating students.
But of course there are still students that fail even with those bonus points. They get a meeting with the dean (I think) and get to remediate the course over the summer break which is one month. But you fail most of your courses after the meeting they are either kicked out or get to retake the entire year. Depending on how many courses you have failed and your motivation, and your potential they make decision to kick you out or let you redo the year.
Getting kicked out + leave of absence due to academics (people leave the school before getting kicked out to redo the year) is about 5%~10% of total students. But really... these guys tried hard to fail. It is hard to get a 4.0 but it is as much hard to get kicked out. You have tutoring available, you can talk to student affair, there are all sort of help that are available to you.
NYUCD is really hard to specialize because we have rankings based on our GPA and most of the courses are graded, we only have few courses that are P/F. But I heard that you have a higher chance to specialize in NYUCD after getting DDS from NYUCD.

But I heard that you have a higher chance to specialize in NYUCD after getting DDS from NYUCD.

specialty programs at NYU will give you a courtesy interview if you're actively involved in the department via research or clubs. there have been people that have gotten into NYU peds with a <3.0 gpa for instance, after having been actively involved in the pediatric club

specialty programs at NYU will give you a courtesy interview if you're actively involved in the department via research or clubs. there have been people that have gotten into NYU peds with a <3.0 gpa for instance, after having been actively involved in the pediatric club
Yeah I agree with you

So it's not like everyone that has a 3.3 or above get 25k/yr? It is only offered to a few that do, right

@Bifenthrin do we get any lockers first year? And if so are they big or dinky? Thanks. I know it's only a week and a half until orientation, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for doing this!

I have two questions, if you dont mind:

1) What has been the most challenging part of dental school so far?
2) Do a lot of people work during dental school, or is this really difficult to do?

You get one clothing locker, which isn't too big but big enough for your coat, a change of clothes, and backpack. And you get a small instrument locker which is big enough to fit your lab equipment.

Most challenging part of dental school so far is definitely studying for boards. Holy crap, it sucks!

I don't know a single person who works during school. It's extremely difficult to do with the hectic schedule.

You get one clothing locker, which isn't too big but big enough for your coat, a change of clothes, and backpack. And you get a small instrument locker which is big enough to fit your lab equipment.

Most challenging part of dental school so far is definitely studying for boards. Holy crap, it sucks!

I don't know a single person who works during school. It's extremely difficult to do with the hectic schedule.

Do you think that locker would be big enough to fit a foldable kick scooter like a Razor A5 Lux measuring 30" x 12" x 5" when folded?

D2 is the hardest, yes.

I haven't taken boards yet. At NYU we take them the summer between D2 and D3, in August. I'm not worried about how I will study for boards though... I'm going to approach it the same way I approached DAT's. Cram for two months. :p

For me D3 was worse. Adjusting to clinic and still having heavy didactic schedules.

My study time varies. If I have an exam coming up that I'm worried for, I'll put in like 6-8 hours a day studying for it for about 3-4 days. If it's an exam that I'm not too worried about, I'll cram a day or two before. And if there's no exam, there's no chance of me studying.

With roommates you can fit into 1.5k a month rent. I don't have roommates so I pay more obviously. But the extra money I spend is worth my solitude and peace and quiet.

I'm not sure about longer periods tbh. We have all the specialty clinics in the school so... idk.

We take NBDE Part 1 in August after D2. So yay, that's something to look forward to.

WREB and NBDE are both offered here.

Summer breaks... assuming you don't fail anything in D1 you get June off, and then two weeks at the end of August. After D1, summer break is just those two weeks at the end of August.

No, you can't move in with me. I live in a studio and if you did we'd have to share a bed and ew gross. Also I'm not a he so pfffffft.

NERB

True! But might not be true with other specialties. :)

Last edited:
For me D3 was worse. Adjusting to clinic and still having heavy didactic schedules.

Eh, I feel pretty adjusted to clinic already. I've worked with people for years as a dental assistant, so I feel like it's fine. I know how to talk to patients so that they like me and show up to their appointments. I've figured out how to treatment plan correctly and get everything approved. The only pain in the butt is figuring out the best time to do formatives and competencies, but whatever, I'll get to that after boards.

As a pre-dent how helpful is it to be in contact with a schools admission member?

Eh, I feel pretty adjusted to clinic already. I've worked with people for years as a dental assistant, so I feel like it's fine. I know how to talk to patients so that they like me and show up to their appointments. I've figured out how to treatment plan correctly and get everything approved. The only pain in the butt is figuring out the best time to do formatives and competencies, but whatever, I'll get to that after boards.
We might get to work with each other on case on the 7th floor in the future.

I wonder if I can do my one/two week intership during D4 at NYU :naughty: