Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Long story short, how would an IA such as this (seemingly violent, since its theoretically a threat) contribute to my application which will be done 4 years post incident.

Thanks in advance

"I hope your new roommate doesn't end up putting his balls in your mouth. That's not a threat, that's a promise"? I actually find this stupid, funny, and nonsensical all at the same time.

Look, college students do idiotic things with alarming frequency. While this does exactly paint you in a positive light, I find it to be pretty minor as an isolated occurrence. Getting busted for cheating or plagiarism would be far more damning. When listing something like this in AMCAS it helps to be honest and accepting of responsibility for your actions. It will be worse for you if the reader gets the sense that you are trying to whitewash the incident or cast blame everywhere but yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Hushcom, thanks so much for doing this! I was just wondering if you had any advice on the financial aspect of medical school. For many of us, med school will burden us with six figure debt. Links and tips would be so appreciated. I don't have debt from undergrad, so I have little experience in this area, but I'd really like to go into school with a plan (even if it changes).

If you go into a lucrative specialty you can pay off your debts. If you do not, you can still pay off your debts but it takes a bit more planning and flexibility. Income-based repayment (IBR) caps how much of your income can get diverted to debt repayment, which can keep your monthly cash flow from getting choked off. There are myriad loan repayment programs both at the federal and state level. Many of these require working in underserved areas, which can be either a punishment or an adventure, depending on how you play your cards. The demand for primary care physicians in the area I live in is so great that some local medical groups offer substantial loan forgiveness to FM/IM/Peds doctors with a 3-5+ year time commitment.

Being realistic is a key to happiness in life. The day after you finish residency/fellowship you will not find yourself at a Lamborghini dealership. You will more likely be planning a move, trying to buy a decent middle class house, establishing a retirement account and college saving accounts, and coping with the anxiety brought on by autonomy. In that moment you may realize that much of the glamor associated with medical practice has given way to the same daily grind experienced by most Americans.

Reactions: 5 users
Hushcom, thank you for your time and patience in responding to our questions.

Have you ever seen any tattoos on applicants, and if so, how did it affect your opinion of that applicant? I did 4 years as an Army medic with combat service in Iraq, and tattoos are a big part of military culture. I have two full sleeves, and while they end at my wrist, when my dress shirt "rides up" you can kind of see up the end of the sleeve.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Hushcom,

I am in a bit of a pickle. I only decided that I wanted to go to medical school very recently (I am a junior at university studying Biochemistry). I have a great GPA (>3.9) and have been doing research for a year and hopefully will get published soon because I have had a very active role and have been designing my own experiments . I was a tennis student-athlete for 2 years but had to quit because of a persistent injury. I am also in a couple of clubs. I plan on taking the MCAT this summer at the end of July.

But I don't have any clinical experience yet. I will start to get some ASAP but if I apply this year it doesn't give me much time to accumulate hours (I contacted my local hospital today to see if they have any openings in their volunteer department). I honestly did not realize that one was expected to do so much and this is really stressing me out.

Would it be advisable for me to take a gap year? I was thinking of becoming an EMT and working as one during my gap year (It's something I have always wanted to do and I think it would be a great for medical experience). I would also get some more clinical experience as well during this gap year.

Thank you!

Hushcom, thank you in advance!
I have quite a bit of questions.
1. how do medical schools consider 2 science faculty LORs? Do they have to be professors that you took classes with? I am thinking about one professor that I took class with, and the other professor who was my PI, but I also got research credits from him for grades. Would these two be sufficient for most medical schools?
2.Also my non-science professor is not a professor but a lecturer. But she knows me very well and we have a very good relationship. I am assuming that non-science faculty include both professors and lecturers?
3. How do you consider my gap years? I spent almost a year doing full time research with a poster and a letter of rec. The second year, I came back home and worked part time as a tutor while continuing clinical, non-clinical volunteering, medical missions and shadowing. I also recently started full-time job at a pharmaceutical company, which I am excited to continue throughout application year along with continuous volunteering. (Do you think I have to explain why I didn't continue with research and came back home somewhere in my application?)
4. Also is it imperative to get letters from volunteering coordinators? I think that my letters will be mostly about my academic capability, but not necessarily about my personality. I could ask some volunteer coordinators for letters, but I am not sure how strong they would be.

Thank you so much!

I am thinking of taking a year off.

What would you recommed to do in the gap year? ( I have a solid GPA and I'm taking the MCATin the summer. I've also done a year of reserach, about to do my second year as a senior and I am also an EMT.)

Thanks ahead of time!

Hi Hushcom, thanks for taking the time!

1) I had relatively good research experience in undergraduate (including a publication), but that was 5+ years ago (I am a career changer doing a postbac). How fluently will I be expected to be able to speak about that research during interviews? Because it was summer research I only ever spent ~3 months on each topic and most of it I can only summarize.

2) My diagnosis, treatment, and recovery from a serious medical issue is what motivated me to change careers and pursue medicine. I think it's a compelling story, but I've been told to be very cautious about revealing it because it could be interpreted as a sign that my health will prevent me from excelling in a stressful environment. I know enough not to dwell on it, but do you think it could truly hurt me to disclose it at all?

3) (Assuming I do disclose #2) My doctor is on the faculty at a med school I am very interested in. He has been extremely supportive and offered to provide a recommendation when I apply. Given that I haven't actually worked with him -- though we have spent a lot of time together -- would that kind of recommendation be of any value? Or would it just look strange for a doctor to recommend his patient?

I'm a reapplicant this year after 1 round of denials. In my year off I improved my MCAT from a 27 to a 33, working full time as a clinical scribe in an ED and ICU, will be getting published by revising a scribing book the company makes and also have continued some long standing volunteer work. Does this come across as a large enough improvement in a gap year?

That's better than what I usually see, especially the MCAT bump.

Hi Hushcom, thanks for doing this AMAA. I have a pair of questions:

1) After slacking off for the first three semesters (I have a 3.4 cGPA/2.8 sGPA now) I am doing all I can to get rid of my habits and score highly in all my exams. I have all As (and one B+ that I can work up to an A with a little luck and work) but in my fifth class I failed an exam that is worth a significant part of my grade (20%). The exam is for a non-science class that, after I dropped a minor, has no purpose for any other graduation requirements. Based on my circumstances would it look bad if I take a W for that course if it's possible I can get a C?

Possible is no guarantee. Would you rather have a D on your transcript or a W? If you have no other W's I would suggest cutting your losses and withdrawing. As the song says, know when to fold 'em. In the meantime, perhaps you should spend some time reflecting on why you failed an exam with 20% of the final grade.

Invictus said:
2) Since I plan to work for 1 or 2 years before applying to med school I've been looking for internships for this comin summer. I've only been able to snag a part time unpaid internship - if I don't find a second paid internship, I will likely take 2 courses, volunteer/shadow, and do this part time internship. What else can I do to spend my summers in order to stand out as an applicant? I would like to do something that has a long term benefit, not go on an overseas mission trip like I see premed students do here.

Given that I know nothing about you, forgive me if I have nothing to offer along these lines. The world is brimming with possibilities, you should explore them on your own.

Thank you so much for doing this!! It is very much appreciated, and has merited some fantastic insights into the application process. I have two questions, if that's okay:

1) I have a high GPA (3.9+) and a decent but not great MCAT score (33). I feel as though these scores are mismatched, and am concerned that I'm not competitive enough for high-tier schools but may not get attention from low to mid-tier schools. I'm planning to apply to a healthy mix of both, but do you think that I should retake the MCAT so that I can be solidly competitive at top schools? I took the test without having several pre-reqs, and feel that I could do better now... But I really really don't want to retake it if I don't have to. Do you see students with similar mismatches in scores and GPAs? Does it raise eyebrows and cause you to think their GPA is not as impressive as it looks?

I would question the wisdom of taking the MCAT without having several pre-reqs, but what's done is done. If you don't think you can be happy anywhere other than a "high-tier" school then go ahead and retake. But how would you feel if you got the same score or lower?

sunflower said:
2) I am taking very challenging courses this semester, and as a result had to quit several ECs in order for me to focus on my schoolwork. I am worried that it will look bad, as all my activities suddenly diminished right before app time. Can I cite very tough classes as a reason for this, or will it look poor for me to be unable to mulitask through it?

I personally do not get out a magnifying glass and discern when every EC started and ended relative to the applicant's coursework. You are expected to manage your time effectively, and if you need to roll back the EC's in order to perform in your classes then you should do so.

A bit of a personal question but I'm curious nonetheless. When someone says the phrase "The Good Doctor", what does it mean to you?

In this day and age, sarcasm.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Hushcom,

Thank you for doing this. I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but here it goes...I have a lower MCAT score (taken in May 2012) and want to apply this cycle. I will be retaking the test either this November or January (can't take it any earlier). I will show on my application that I'm retaking the test again, but will schools be waiting on my second score to come in and then view my app, or will they start considering my app right away? I realize updating my app in December (if I take the MCAT in November) is really late, but I'm not sure how my initial app submitted in June will be viewed.

Thanks again.

This is not a very good position to be in. I do not think most schools will wait on your new score, and any that do will be considering your application at the tail end of the season. So you will either have a "lower MCAT" or very few interview spots left. Pick your poison.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Hushcom,

I'm trying to decide which major I'd like to pursue for my undergraduate degree, and I was hoping to get your opinion.

You've mentioned in previous replies that you look at an applicants major because it tells you something about them, but you've also mentioned that you (and others) can see when an individual is "padding" their GPA with non-science/fluff courses. How would you look at nutrition courses? It appears that there are extremely varied opinions on the rigor of nutrition majors, and having only a limited experience with nutrition courses, I can't attest to their difficulty at my university just yet, so I'm trying to get as much insight as I can.

Would choosing nutrition over a BA in biology would work against me when it comes time to apply for medical schools?

Your answers and insight have been incredibly helpful! This thread has basically been a "one stop shop" for many of my questions, and I appreciate it. Thank you for your time!

Right or wrong, first impression of nutrition = fluff. It may not be fair, but that's how it is.

Hello! Thanks for helping. Should I not bother applying to schools in which I am below the 10th percentile for the VR section on the MCAT but median for the overall score? My score is 14PS/9VR/13BS.

No, you should apply. Most of the students at these schools with 9VRs likely have somewhat unbalanced scores like yours, with strong performance in the PS and BS sections.

Have you ever seen any tattoos on applicants, and if so, how did it affect your opinion of that applicant? I did 4 years as an Army medic with combat service in Iraq, and tattoos are a big part of military culture. I have two full sleeves, and while they end at my wrist, when my dress shirt "rides up" you can kind of see up the end of the sleeve.

Now that I think about it, I do not recall seeing a single tattoo on an applicant yet. I have absolutely no doubt that they existed, but none were visible enough for me to notice.

I have a soft spot for combat vets (long story), and can understand the significance of tattoos within certain military subcultures. If you have sleeves you might as well own them.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Hushcom,

I am in a bit of a pickle. I only decided that I wanted to go to medical school very recently (I am a junior at university studying Biochemistry). I have a great GPA (>3.9) and have been doing research for a year and hopefully will get published soon because I have had a very active role and have been designing my own experiments . I was a tennis student-athlete for 2 years but had to quit because of a persistent injury. I am also in a couple of clubs. I plan on taking the MCAT this summer at the end of July.

But I don't have any clinical experience yet. I will start to get some ASAP but if I apply this year it doesn't give me much time to accumulate hours (I contacted my local hospital today to see if they have any openings in their volunteer department). I honestly did not realize that one was expected to do so much and this is really stressing me out.

Would it be advisable for me to take a gap year? I was thinking of becoming an EMT and working as one during my gap year (It's something I have always wanted to do and I think it would be a great for medical experience). I would also get some more clinical experience as well during this gap year.

Thank you!

Under the circumstances a gap year would be advisable. Clinical experience is more than just an entry on your application, it's a way to discern whether you really want to commit to this rather lengthy and demanding career path. The EMT is a fairly common route and a good one.

I would question the wisdom of taking the MCAT without having several pre-reqs, but what's done is done. If you don't think you can be happy anywhere other than a "high-tier" school then go ahead and retake. But how would you feel if you got the same score or lower?

Thanks for your reply. I definitely think I could be very happy at a school of any tier, I just am not sure where to set my sights as far as applying goes so that I am maximally competitive. I really don't want to retake the test, and would feel awful if I didn't improve my score. I think that's my answer! There are personal reasons that caused me to take the test when I took it; it wasn't ideal, but I felt (and still feel) that it was the only realistic option based on my circumstances. Like you said, what's done is done, and hopefully I can articulate my reasons in a compelling manner if asked to expand on them in an interview setting.

Thanks again! :)

@hushcom given a 3.65 undergrad GPA and 3.81 science GPA, coupled with an MCAT score of 28 (PS9,V9,BS10), in your opinion would an SMP (and doing well in it) add a significant amount of value to my application?
I'm seriously considering it, and have even applied to a couple, waiting on a response at the moment.

Also, I know they say its best to address any red flags on your application in the personal statement. Well, if I got a D in only 1 science course, retook and got an A, and virtually got all A's in all the rest, is that something you would advise me to write about in the personal statement?

@hushcom given a 3.65 undergrad GPA and 3.81 science GPA, coupled with an MCAT score of 28 (PS9,V9,BS10), in your opinion would an SMP (and doing well in it) add a significant amount of value to my application?

No, an SMP in your case would be an expensive and lengthy waste of time. You will be better far better served getting your MCAT to 30+.

silentshadow59 said:
Also, I know they say its best to address any red flags on your application in the personal statement. Well, if I got a D in only 1 science course, retook and got an A, and virtually got all A's in all the rest, is that something you would advise me to write about in the personal statement?

There are red flags and there are red flags. Your personal statement is your one uninterrupted opportunity in your entire AMCAS application to sell yourself. Unless there is some deeper issue to explore don't waste space explaining a single bad grade.

Hi Hushcom,
I've heard medical school admissions committees sometimes reject younger applicants due to their age. Is this true and is it something a younger applicant should be worried about?

Possible is no guarantee. Would you rather have a D on your transcript or a W? If you have no other W's I would suggest cutting your losses and withdrawing. As the song says, know when to fold 'em. In the meantime, perhaps you should spend some time reflecting on why you failed an exam with 20% of the final grade.

I meant to say that my possible range for a final grade is a C to a B+. Still drop?

Hey Hushcom,

I have about 7 years experience of being involved in emergency medicine first working 911 then in an ED. I currently work as a paramedic doing critical care pediatric and neonatal transports, high acuity stuff vented kids, rsi, pre-ecmo. My experience and knowledge allows me to speak candidly and intelligently about medicine especially stemming from my critical care experience. Are there any pitfalls or things I should avoid in the process of applying for med school or when I interview? Is there anything in particular you look for in candidates with strong backgrounds in medicine when interviewing? I understand I am not a physician yet and have only a minor understanding of many aspects of medicine.

Thanks for your input.

Dr. Hushcom, thank you so much for this thread!!!

I was repeatedly sexually assaulted during the course of my freshman/sophomore years, and my grades were horrendous (~1.3 GPA) for these years. This period of time also included 2 withdrawals from university and 1 academic dismissal.

After nearly four years of struggling, I have miraculously managed to save my undergrad GPA (c3.1 and s3.78). My ECs include employment as an EMT for 3 years and driving instructor for 1 year, plus volunteer activities (700+ combined hours of clinical intern/hospital volunteering/physician shadowings, 300+ hours of volunteering as a court-appointed children's advocate), and several club membership/leadership roles. My MCAT is in May, and I will be applying this summer.

Question: Given the above information, how should I address my initially terrible grades and the withdrawals/dismissal in my personal statement without any of it sounding like a sob story? Is it necessary for me to mention the assaults?

Again, thank you so much for your time!

Last edited:
Hushcom, thank you in advance!
I have quite a bit of questions.
1. how do medical schools consider 2 science faculty LORs? Do they have to be professors that you took classes with? I am thinking about one professor that I took class with, and the other professor who was my PI, but I also got research credits from him for grades. Would these two be sufficient for most medical schools?
2.Also my non-science professor is not a professor but a lecturer. But she knows me very well and we have a very good relationship. I am assuming that non-science faculty include both professors and lecturers?
3. How do you consider my gap years? I spent almost a year doing full time research with a poster and a letter of rec. The second year, I came back home and worked part time as a tutor while continuing clinical, non-clinical volunteering, medical missions and shadowing. I also recently started full-time job at a pharmaceutical company, which I am excited to continue throughout application year along with continuous volunteering. (Do you think I have to explain why I didn't continue with research and came back home somewhere in my application?)
4. Also is it imperative to get letters from volunteering coordinators? I think that my letters will be mostly about my academic capability, but not necessarily about my personality. I could ask some volunteer coordinators for letters, but I am not sure how strong they would be.

Thank you so much!

1. You should get letters from faculty who are well acquainted with you and your academic abilities. Your proposal sounds appropriate.
2. Define lecturer. Adjunct is perfectly fine, a letter from a graduate student would carry less weight.
3. Depends on the reasons for coming back home. If it was just to transition out of the research position and into something different/more lucrative then I don't see much of a reason to go into it.
4. It is not imperative at my institution to get letters from volunteer coordinators and such, but it would not hurt to have one or more at your disposal.

I am thinking of taking a year off.

What would you recommed to do in the gap year? ( I have a solid GPA and I'm taking the MCATin the summer. I've also done a year of reserach, about to do my second year as a senior and I am also an EMT.)

Thanks ahead of time!

I am sorry, but I would rather not play the role of idea factory, especially considering that I do not know anything about you, your finances, or your location. People do many things in gap years; work, travel, extra study, service, etc. As I have stated earlier, just don't sit in your parents' basement for 12 months playing Grand Theft Auto.

Reactions: 1 user

It's a shame that the SMA Chandler doesn't think so. Guy's such a tool. =/

For a candidate interested in global health work, which degree would appear more impressive on a med school application and why:

- Master of Science in Global Health at Duke (with a focus on research in a foreign country and a Thesis)
- Master of Public Health at UNC- Chapel Hill (with a health-related internship in a foreign country & practical work experience)?

Hey Hushcom,

I have about 7 years experience of being involved in emergency medicine first working 911 then in an ED. I currently work as a paramedic doing critical care pediatric and neonatal transports, high acuity stuff vented kids, rsi, pre-ecmo. My experience and knowledge allows me to speak candidly and intelligently about medicine especially stemming from my critical care experience. Are there any pitfalls or things I should avoid in the process of applying for med school or when I interview? Is there anything in particular you look for in candidates with strong backgrounds in medicine when interviewing? I understand I am not a physician yet and have only a minor understanding of many aspects of medicine.

Thanks for your input.

Interesting question. Once or twice I have interviewed people with a similar amount of experience and gotten a whiff of arrogance about their existing medical knowledge. You seem to be aware of that pitfall. I would say some healthy enthusiasm about your prior work and a desire to learn more is a plus, just don't go overboard.

Hi Hushcom,
I've heard medical school admissions committees sometimes reject younger applicants due to their age. Is this true and is it something a younger applicant should be worried about?

We have not rejected anyone because of their age, but young age and immaturity tend to go hand in hand. As a general rule you should not worry about things you cannot change, and your age is one of them.

Dr. Hushcom, thank you so much for this thread!!!

I was repeatedly sexually assaulted during the course of my freshman/sophomore years, and my grades were horrendous (~1.3 GPA) for these years. This period of time also included 2 withdrawals from university and 1 academic dismissal.

After nearly four years of struggling, I have miraculously managed to save my undergrad GPA (c3.1 and s3.78). My ECs include employment as an EMT for 3 years and driving instructor for 1 year, plus volunteer activities (700+ combined hours of clinical intern/hospital volunteering/physician shadowings, 300+ hours of volunteering as a court-appointed children's advocate), and several club membership/leadership roles. My MCAT is in May, and I will be applying this summer.

Question: Given the above information, how should I address my initially terrible grades and the withdrawals/dismissal in my personal statement without any of it sounding like a sob story? Is it necessary for me to mention the assaults?

Again, thank you so much for your time!

I have not interviewed anyone who disclosed a sexual assault, but have been in meetings where candidates with such a history have been discussed. My sample size is therefore quite small, but it is exceedingly difficult to characterize such events as sob stories. When it has been brought up you can generally hear a pin drop in the room.

Whether or not you choose to disclose them is a personal matter, and it would be ill-advised of me to weigh on that. If you do, I would recommend explaining them without dwelling on them. Surely they had a great impact on you, but they should not define you. With what you have described about your turnaround, I would be surprised if you could not find at least a few med schools that are willing to offer you a seat. Assuming you perform on the MCAT, of course.

Good luck.

For a candidate interested in global health work, which degree would appear more impressive on a med school application and why:

- Master of Science in Global Health at Duke (with a focus on research in a foreign country and a Thesis)
- Master of Public Health at UNC- Chapel Hill (with a health-related internship in a foreign country & practical work experience)?

They sound equally terrible. Go Tar Heels.

P.S. Blame the scotch.

Reactions: 6 users
@hushcom I was wondering, will applying to severallll schools affect my chances of getting accepted into some of the higher tiered schools?
For example, applying through TMDSAS for the Texas schools allows all of the Texas schools to not only see what other schools you are applying to through TMDSAS, but also they ask you to input all schools you're applying to with AMCAS as well, so the schools can see those as well.
(I believe with AMCAS, schools can only see where else you've been accepted, not where applied)
Anyhow, in your opinion, is it better to show selectivity in your schools list? Could they say "hmm well she's borderline here, might make the cut, but I'm sure one of those other schools will take her, sooo, rejected"
Or do you think that the lengthy list of schools should/would not actually affect whether I get accepted or not? (I know they say it SHOULD not, but admissions decisions are made by human beings not computers so you can never really be tooo sure)

Also, if I do choose to go the SMP route, will getting my master's degree at UNT HSC (that is actually an osteopathic school) affect my chances of getting into an allopathic medical school? Basically, does it matter if your master's degree is from an osteopathic or a medical school? Are there downfalls to choosing an osteopathic school for the masters degree? My state (Texas) has only one 1 year master's program, and while the statistics are decent, will this look odd to out of state medical schools I'm applying to?

@hushcom I was wondering, will applying to severallll schools affect my chances of getting accepted into some of the higher tiered schools?
For example, applying through TMDSAS for the Texas schools allows all of the Texas schools to not only see what other schools you are applying to through TMDSAS, but also they ask you to input all schools you're applying to with AMCAS as well, so the schools can see those as well.
(I believe with AMCAS, schools can only see where else you've been accepted, not where applied)
Anyhow, in your opinion, is it better to show selectivity in your schools list? Could they say "hmm well she's borderline here, might make the cut, but I'm sure one of those other schools will take her, sooo, rejected"
Or do you think that the lengthy list of schools should/would not actually affect whether I get accepted or not? (I know they say it SHOULD not, but admissions decisions are made by human beings not computers so you can never really be tooo sure)

Gaming a system only works if you can exploit dependable loopholes in the rules. What you are proposing is third order conjecture. Applying to more schools increases your chances of acceptance, pure and simple. Just do it.

Also, if I do choose to go the SMP route, will getting my master's degree at UNT HSC (that is actually an osteopathic school) affect my chances of getting into an allopathic medical school? Basically, does it matter if your master's degree is from an osteopathic or a medical school? Are there downfalls to choosing an osteopathic school for the masters degree? My state (Texas) has only one 1 year master's program, and while the statistics are decent, will this look odd to out of state medical schools I'm applying to?

I think I stated much earlier that SMPs all have their individual reputations, and I am not very familiar with them all. If the stats are decent then the stats are decent.

Hello Hushcom,

Thanks in advanced for all the questions you have answered already. I have a ton I would like to ask you, but I wont get greedy. First a little about myself. I come from a family that was plagued by a gambling addiction where it really forced me to step up to help provide for my family at a young age. Unfortunately it all really hit during my first year of college where I was forced to juggle a 80/hr work week on top of being a full time student this trend continued for years to come, and the hardships still effect my family to this day. During this time I also decided to establish my own seasonal business. I finished my associates in criminal justice with a cGPA of 2.8 while still not taking any of my pre-requisites for medical school. Fast forward quite a few years I am now 25 my 6 year old business is doing great I am able to do it full time, and employ people who come from similar backgrounds that I see need help. My main goal has always been to become a doctor (as throughout my life I have had 13 surgeries due to a club foot, and doctors have impacted my life so greatly the same ones that I will be shadowing) but because of my beginnings I didn't think it was possible I am enrolled for this upcoming fall semester to begin taking my pre-requisites for medical school while also shooting for a BA in a science related major I am determined in getting a 4.0 in every course, and have already began studying for the courses as well as the MCATS. My question is, listing my business something that can be seen as favorable as a EC even though it does not fit in the medical field, or fit the typical applicant mold. I have recently started collecting professional reference letters from 100's of my customers who have dealt with me personally, can attest for my dedication, and professionalism. Can I show up to a med school interview with book full of non-traditional reference letters? Or should I start putting more weight on building up my traditional EC's? Sorry about the long read but I do appreciate any input!

Hi Hushcom! I was wondering...do medical schools heavily differentiate between A/A- and B+/B grades? Or are they considered pretty much the same thing by adcoms when looking at the overall transcript?

Also, what grade would you say justifies a withdrawal?

I'm wondering if I should be applying to USMD programs. I have 2 separate undergrad degrees, the first in Math with a 2.0 gpa (only showed up for tests, didn't study etc). The second in Biochemistry (just finishing it up) with a 4.0 (motivated to work in medicine after the passing of a family member). I have a relatively good MCAT score of 37, but my overall GPA is under 3.0. I'm not sure if the MCAT and upward trend (about 100 credit hours of As) is enough to make up for poor performance earlier on.

@hushcom thank you so much for answering these questions!
I am planning on working on the app all through May and submitting it the first day available. That being said, anything I do after I hit the submission button (beefing up ECs or even my SMP grades if I go that route), how will the med schools see or know about it? since you're not allowed to add anything to AMCAS except additional LORs.
Is it possible to write a letter to each school outlining any updates to be added to your application?? or is this not how it works ...

Adding on to @connie95 's question about withdrawals.. If my GPA is good (3.65 undergrad, 3.81 science), will a few withdrawals be questionable? How many constitute a red flag ? and will it make a difference if there were no withdrawals during the last 2 years of undergrad and they were all earlier on or in the middle?

This month I was happy to receive acceptances from an SMP and a post-bac. I am leaning towards the SMP because it is related to radiology (I'd like to specialize in neuroradiology). Is there something more I should work on or look into doing? I was told by an advisor to volunteer abroad, but I did so in the past and was disillusioned by the experience.

1. I know that some SMP's can leverage you into a medical school spot if you perform adequately. You may also end up taking courses with or at the same level as medical students. Doing well under those circumstances is a very strong indicator that you have what it takes. A post-bacc is not necessarily inferior, however, you will need to examine the details of the programs and make a decision.
2. At this point in the game, wanting to specialize in some super-niche field neuroradiology is fine but will make you look extremely naive +/- having a bad case of tunnel vision. Don't corner yourself this early.
3. Eating disorders have a high rate of recurrence in medical school. Maintain your support network and be prepared to seek help.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi hushcom,
How do you see shadowing experience done abroad? I have 200+ hours from a summer away from home but none in the states. Would this be seen negatively? If it helps, I do clinical research and volunteer work (in the US).

Personally, I see shadowing as shadowing, regardless of whether it is domestic or abroad. Depending on the country and the region, you may actually receive more valuable exposure outside the US. I guess some other adcom might disagree with me, but that is how I see it.

@hushcom regarding LORs that are uploaded and sent through Interfolio. I have all of my letters in Interfolio right now, and I noticed it took almost no time for some of my letter writers to upload it (I assume it was uploaded and not mailed bc it was received by interfolio the same or next day)
Anyhow, I have waived my right to read any of these letters, so I'm assuming if they were uploaded, they may not be actually signed. If their name, position, and contact information is on the letter, will it be hurtful if there is not a physical signature? this sort of worries me and I just want to know what the consensus is on this before I go back asking/pestering each of them about this

Can I show up to a med school interview with book full of non-traditional reference letters?

No, do not do this. Nobody is going to want to thumb through page after page of strangers writing about how great you are. It will reek of desperation, and show that you do not know or abide by the etiquette of this process.

Digression:
I once had an interviewee bring a folio describing his research. It looked like a seventh grader made it and I actually felt bad for him. He did not get in. I have had a freelance writer bring a small folio of published writing samples, which was fine because it was completely unobtrusive. While not standard practice on the medical school interview circuit, I have no doubt it is on the freelance writer circuit, so I can see why he did it. He did get in. I think at least one artist has come through and done something similar. If you play it cool with such things it may be to your favor, provided your work is decent.