Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@hushcom regarding LORs that are uploaded and sent through Interfolio. I have all of my letters in Interfolio right now, and I noticed it took almost no time for some of my letter writers to upload it (I assume it was uploaded and not mailed bc it was received by interfolio the same or next day)
Anyhow, I have waived my right to read any of these letters, so I'm assuming if they were uploaded, they may not be actually signed. If their name, position, and contact information is on the letter, will it be hurtful if there is not a physical signature? this sort of worries me and I just want to know what the consensus is on this before I go back asking/pestering each of them about this

This is something you should absolutely not be worrying about.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Hushcom! I was wondering...do medical schools heavily differentiate between A/A- and B+/B grades? Or are they considered pretty much the same thing by adcoms when looking at the overall transcript?

Also, what grade would you say justifies a withdrawal?

I generally do not differentiate much between +'s and -'s, unless someone has a bunch of B-'s in hard courses. Or a bunch of A+'s in hard courses. Context matters.

If you are cruising for a "D" or lower I would bail out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you hushcom for taking your time to answer our questions. How does adcom and you think about your letters of recommendation after being waitlisted? Should I continue to let the school (one of those schools that like to feel our love) know that I am interested in going to that particular school over my other acceptances?

@hushcom thank you so much for answering these questions!
I am planning on working on the app all through May and submitting it the first day available. That being said, anything I do after I hit the submission button (beefing up ECs or even my SMP grades if I go that route), how will the med schools see or know about it? since you're not allowed to add anything to AMCAS except additional LORs.
Is it possible to write a letter to each school outlining any updates to be added to your application?? or is this not how it works ...

Everyone is in the same boat. Once you submit there is no formal way for anyone to update anything unless through secondaries. The good news is that it is unlikely that anything done in the short period between submission and screening is unlikely to impact your chances. And it gives someone like me the opportunity to explore the interval during an interview, assuming you have something interesting to add.

Thank you for your response!

So an A- in a hard course like genetics should be okay, considering I got both B+'s in my General Biology pre-reqs? I'm trying to raise my sGPA and in order to do that, I need to get nearly all A's in the rest of my courses!

Adding on to @connie95 's question about withdrawals.. If my GPA is good (3.65 undergrad, 3.81 science), will a few withdrawals be questionable? How many constitute a red flag ? and will it make a difference if there were no withdrawals during the last 2 years of undergrad and they were all earlier on or in the middle?

There is no set number of W's that will sound an alarm, everyone's transcript is different. If you have them you have them, and they aren't going anywhere. If they occurred early in your college career and you haven't had any since I would assume it was due to some immaturity and/or poor advising. Looks like you may have turned it around.

Thank you for your response!

So an A- in a hard course like genetics should be okay, considering I got both B+'s in my General Biology pre-reqs? I'm trying to raise my sGPA and in order to do that, I need to get nearly all A's in the rest of my courses!

I think the human brain seizes on the letter before considering the + or -. Just do your best.

I'm wondering if I should be applying to USMD programs. I have 2 separate undergrad degrees, the first in Math with a 2.0 gpa (only showed up for tests, didn't study etc). The second in Biochemistry (just finishing it up) with a 4.0 (motivated to work in medicine after the passing of a family member). I have a relatively good MCAT score of 37, but my overall GPA is under 3.0. I'm not sure if the MCAT and upward trend (about 100 credit hours of As) is enough to make up for poor performance earlier on.

@hushcom in case you missed it

Thank you @hushcom for taking your time to answer our questions. How does adcom and you think about your letters of recommendation after being waitlisted? Should I continue to let the school (one of those schools that like to feel our love) know that I am interested in going to that particular school over my other acceptances?

Quarter system - Junior applicant

Should we wait until Spring grades are posted before submitting? (grades avail late June - guessing late July verification) or apply 1st day it opens with only 2.66 yrs worth of grades reported...sitting at a 3.9+ GPA currently so spring quarter can only really hurt my gpa.

@hushcom in case you missed it

Sorry, yes I did miss it in the flurry. You should absolutely apply to US MD programs. Your MCAT score is quite high, and your more recent academic success makes up for your earlier problems. Based on what you have shared, the only thing that will give you trouble is getting screened out of schools with strict numeric cutoffs. Despite that, I think you will find plenty of schools that will give you a look.

Thank you @hushcom for taking your time to answer our questions. How does adcom and you think about your letters of recommendation after being waitlisted? Should I continue to let the school (one of those schools that like to feel our love) know that I am interested in going to that particular school over my other acceptances?

A polite letter proclaiming your undying love will not hurt you, but it is very, very, very unlikely to help you. You might as well just cross your fingers and hope for the best. At least you're going somewhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quarter system - Junior applicant

Should we wait until Spring grades are posted before submitting? (grades avail late June - guessing late July verification) or apply 1st day it opens with only 2.66 yrs worth of grades reported...sitting at a 3.9+ GPA currently so spring quarter can only really hurt my gpa.

With a 3.9+ GPA I would not let one quarter of grades delay my application. You can always forward official transcripts later on to schools where you interview.

A polite letter proclaiming your undying love will not hurt you, but it is very, very, very unlikely to help you. You might as well just cross your fingers and hope for the best. At least you're going somewhere!

Thank you for your response.

Sorry, yes I did miss it in the flurry. You should absolutely apply to US MD programs. Your MCAT score is quite high, and your more recent academic success makes up for your earlier problems. Based on what you have shared, the only thing that will give you trouble is getting screened out of schools with strict numeric cutoffs. Despite that, I think you will find plenty of schools that will give you a look.

Thank you for the response.

One more thing: I don't have any clinical volunteer experience unless taking care of a sick family member is sufficient. I took care of my grandmother for about 6 months, 12 hours a day. She had Glioblastoma. I was responsible for her food, medicine, interacting with nurses and doctors and a few other tasks. I have time before my application cycle to get other clinical experience, but I was hoping to devote that time to research.

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom! I really appreciate it.

I am in a slightly unusual situation (slightly similar to Derpz's) by taking my junior year abroad and my third term wont be complete until end of June. The problem is that I currently have no grades for the entire junior year because some classes are full year and I've only received commentary feedback from my professors each term. I probably wont have grades back until mid July-early August at the earliest if I rush administration. All my classes here are science classes that go straight into my GPA at my home university but none are part of my major or pre-med requirements. I could've graduated without this year of classes.

I don't need these grades to boost my GPA (they will probably hurt it) but I think it would be bad to have a year of no grades?

1) Do you think submitting my AMCAS in late July will hurt me?
2) How important is an early application?
3)would it be acceptable to submit my AMCAS without junior year grades?

Last edited:
Hi Hushcom, thanks for taking the time!

1) I had relatively good research experience in undergraduate (including a publication), but that was 5+ years ago (I am a career changer doing a postbac). How fluently will I be expected to be able to speak about that research during interviews? Because it was summer research I only ever spent ~3 months on each topic and most of it I can only summarize.

2) My diagnosis, treatment, and recovery from a serious medical issue is what motivated me to change careers and pursue medicine. I think it's a compelling story, but I've been told to be very cautious about revealing it because it could be interpreted as a sign that my health will prevent me from excelling in a stressful environment. I know enough not to dwell on it, but do you think it could truly hurt me to disclose it at all?

3) (Assuming I do disclose #2) My doctor is on the faculty at a med school I am very interested in. He has been extremely supportive and offered to provide a recommendation when I apply. Given that I haven't actually worked with him -- though we have spent a lot of time together -- would that kind of recommendation be of any value? Or would it just look strange for a doctor to recommend his patient?

@hushcom if you missed it from previous page

Thank you for the response.

One more thing: I don't have any clinical volunteer experience unless taking care of a sick family member is sufficient. I took care of my grandmother for about 6 months, 12 hours a day. She had Glioblastoma. I was responsible for her food, medicine, interacting with nurses and doctors and a few other tasks. I have time before my application cycle to get other clinical experience, but I was hoping to devote that time to research.

Got any shadowing? I personally do not need to see a lot of clinical exposure. The point of diminishing returns is reached very quickly, but some is better than zero.

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom! I really appreciate it.

I am in a slightly unusual situation (slightly similar to Derpz's) by taking my junior year abroad right now in the UK (Oxbridge) and my third term wont be complete until end of June. The problem is that I currently have no grades for the entire junior year because some classes are full year and I've only received commentary feedback from my professors each term. I probably wont have grades back until mid July-early August at the earliest if I rush administration. All my classes here are science classes that go straight into my GPA at my home university but none are part of my major or pre-med requirements. I could've graduated without this year of classes.

I don't need these grades to boost my GPA (they will probably hurt it) but I think it would be bad to have a year of no grades?

1) Do you think submitting my AMCAS in late July will hurt me?
2) How important is an early application?
3)would it be acceptable to submit my AMCAS without junior year grades? I currently have a 3.95+ for my first two years in a competitive program. I have an idea that my year abroad grades wont be less than a 3.7.

1. Late July might not hurt you in the end, but there will be a large bolus of applicants who get processed ahead of you, both by AMCAS and then by the individual schools.
2. An early application has traditionally been very important. Getting everything submitted the second AMCAS opens is not necessary, but I think within the first month is optimal.
3. I think so. You can list current/future courses on AMCAS (I know because I see them), which shows what you were taking when you filed your application. When your transcripts become available just forward official copies to the schools you have applied to. Or you can sometimes upload unofficial transcripts directly into each school's system.

If you had a sub-par GPA and were counting on your junior grades to improve your numbers I would advise otherwise, but going in with a 3.95+ is pretty damned good.

Thanks for answering my question, I understand it was very specific to my own situation so I appreciate it.

I was wondering if there needs to be a ratio of clinically-related ECs, or if it's ok that I fulfill a satisfactory amount of clinical volunteering hours + a satisfactory amount of shadowing - beyond this, is there a "penalty" if the rest of the ECs are not related to medicine, if we assume that the ECs don't concentrate in another professional field (such as many pharm-related ECs that suggests a better fit for pharmacy school, etc)?

Hi hushcom,

Thanks so much for doing this.

PS: I've been dealing with mysterious, chronic health problems for the past year or so. I've seen a host of doctors, received multiple tenuous diagnoses, and learned more about what medicine means to me through this ordeal than in all my pre-med courses, lab research, and volunteer work combined. I feel very strongly about describing this experience in my PS. However, I don't want adcoms to question whether I'm healthy enough to attend med school (I am), nor do I want to play the pity card. What are your thoughts?

LORs:
1. I know each school has its own LOR ceiling, but do you think that having 7 or 8 letters could be detrimental? Have you ever felt that an applicant had too many LORs?
2. How do you generally perceive letters from extracurricular supervisors -- coach, teacher, trainer, etc.? If the supervisor would be a strong advocate for you, is it worth getting a letter even if he/she does not have academic titles or other accolades to his/her name?

PS: I can only speak for my own committee, but we would not hold a health problem against you unless it were likely to be terminal in the near future. By that I mean we will not be accepting any candidates who disclose having stage IV lung carcinoma. Aside from that, all medical schools have so-called technical standards, which are a list of things you have to be able to do in order to complete the program. To matriculate you will have to sign off on being able to meet those standards, and the school may be obligated to provide assistance as deemed necessary and reasonable. If your health problems will not prevent you from meeting such standards then I would feel comfortable disclosing your condition.

LORS: If your LOR writers are not getting through in the first 3-4 letters, they will not get through in the next 3-4. It would be fine to have 1-2 "character" LORs from people who know you well outside of academics, but unleashing a blizzard of letters is unlikely to help.

Hi Hushcom, thanks for taking the time!

1) I had relatively good research experience in undergraduate (including a publication), but that was 5+ years ago (I am a career changer doing a postbac). How fluently will I be expected to be able to speak about that research during interviews? Because it was summer research I only ever spent ~3 months on each topic and most of it I can only summarize.

2) My diagnosis, treatment, and recovery from a serious medical issue is what motivated me to change careers and pursue medicine. I think it's a compelling story, but I've been told to be very cautious about revealing it because it could be interpreted as a sign that my health will prevent me from excelling in a stressful environment. I know enough not to dwell on it, but do you think it could truly hurt me to disclose it at all?

3) (Assuming I do disclose #2) My doctor is on the faculty at a med school I am very interested in. He has been extremely supportive and offered to provide a recommendation when I apply. Given that I haven't actually worked with him -- though we have spent a lot of time together -- would that kind of recommendation be of any value? Or would it just look strange for a doctor to recommend his patient?

1. Three months is a fair amount of time to work on a project. If you are not fluent in the research then you did not contribute meaningfully to it, and should therefore leave it off your application.

2. Eating disorder?

3. Yes, that would be odd. I would politely decline.

Thanks for answering my question, I understand it was very specific to my own situation so I appreciate it.

I was wondering if there needs to be a ratio of clinically-related ECs, or if it's ok that I fulfill a satisfactory amount of clinical volunteering hours + a satisfactory amount of shadowing - beyond this, is there a "penalty" if the rest of the ECs are not related to medicine, if we assume that the ECs don't concentrate in another professional field (such as many pharm-related ECs that suggests a better fit for pharmacy school, etc)?

The problem with having some rigid formula is that I would have to apply it to every application; ain't nobody got time for that. Better to just use pattern recognition and good old fashioned judgement.

1. Three months is a fair amount of time to work on a project. If you are not fluent in the research then you did not contribute meaningfully to it, and should therefore leave it off your application.

2. Eating disorder?

3. Yes, that would be odd. I would politely decline.

1. The projects were 7-9 years ago and I haven't worked in those fields since. I guess my question is: should I study the research so that I'll be able to discuss it as though I did it more recently? Or, knowing that a publication was written 9 years ago, would you not expect an interviewee to know the ins and outs?

2. IBD, multiple surgeries.

3. Thanks, I figured as much but very helpful to confirm.

I see. I definitely meet the technical standards, but I'm more worried about showing weakness... Have you ever reviewed a successful application in which personal health problems were the topic of the applicant's PS?

I have seen no shortage of individuals who bring up past health problems, from trauma/ICU to IBD (see post below) to treated malignancy, and most everything in between. For some it is the event that incites and interest in medicine, and it can be viewed positively as it gives you insight into the patient experience. I do not recall anyone devoting their entire PS to said health problem(s), however.

Got any shadowing? I personally do not need to see a lot of clinical exposure. The point of diminishing returns is reached very quickly, but some is better than zero.

I have about 200 hours of shadowing a GP. I have very time consuming ECs/work commitments. I teach kids and adults Brazillian Jiu Jitsu and I help coach MMA fighters. I've cut down a little on the MMA coaching because those sessions were moved to mid day and I have lectures, but I still take care of the kids classes (4 classes a week, 2 hours each) and the Adults beginners class (3 classes a week, 90 minutes each).

I don't have any lab or clinical research experience. I have 1 summer and 2 semesters of research with a computational chemist working on quantum mechanics models, but it was just making mathematical models.

1. The projects were 7-9 years ago and I haven't worked in those fields since. I guess my question is: should I study the research so that I'll be able to discuss it as though I did it more recently? Or, knowing that a publication was written 9 years ago, would you not expect an interviewee to know the ins and outs?

2. IBD, multiple surgeries.

3. Thanks, I figured as much but very helpful to confirm.

1. That's a little different from the undergraduate summer research projects I usually see. Even though we are talking 7-9 years ago, you should be able to concisely and cogently explain what the projects were, why they were done, what (if anything) was discovered, and how you contributed. Asking about research is my #1 method for uncovering application embellishment, so I always do it. Since time has passed I think it is okay if you do not remember every tiny detail.

2. As I alluded to in the above post @avocado13, your medical issues have given you first hand exposure to something a lot of premedical students do not have, which is being a serious inpatient. My committee would see this as a positive. I cannot guarantee that all adcom members at other schools share this view, but you cannot please everyone. The same story might get you rejected at 1 school but accepted into 3.

3. You are welcome.

Last edited:
I have about 200 hours of shadowing a GP. I have very time consuming ECs/work commitments. I teach kids and adults Brazillian Jiu Jitsu and I help coach MMA fighters. I've cut down a little on the MMA coaching because those sessions were moved to mid day and I have lectures, but I still take care of the kids classes (4 classes a week, 2 hours each) and the Adults beginners class (3 classes a week, 90 minutes each).

I don't have any lab or clinical research experience. I have 1 summer and 2 semesters of research with a computational chemist working on quantum mechanics models, but it was just making mathematical models.

I would call that more than enough shadowing, at least for my tastes. Given the choice I would probably opt for research over clinical volunteering, assuming you can get into a lab with a track record of productivity. A large number of applicants volunteer in the ER, which is relatively easy to get into. If you get bored with research and MMA coaching you might consider it, but at this point I feel we are really splitting hairs.

I would call that more than enough shadowing, at least for my tastes. Given the choice I would probably opt for research over clinical volunteering, assuming you can get into a lab with a track record of productivity. A large number of applicants volunteer in the ER, which is relatively easy to get into. If you get bored with research and MMA coaching you might consider it, but at this point I feel we are really splitting hairs.

Awesome. Thank you for the help; I really appreciate it!

@hushcom

I am wondering if i should take the year off or not.

Some people are telling me to spread my workload over my junior year but i can, with hard work, graduate my junior year and apply during my junior year which would cause me to have my senior year off. I am an EMT, I have 1 year of research under my belt and i have a good GPA.

I noticed in your previous answers regarding the gap year you recommended to someone to increase their clinical experience.

1. Would you recommend doing an internship during my year off while not continuing being an EMT?
2. Also, if i mainly was an EMT only around the summer time and didn't do it much over the school year does that look bad?
3. Does clinical research look better than wet-lab research even if both are unpublished?
4. Does a Senior Thesis look impressive?
5. Do you guys care if i presented research at a conference that has nothing to do with medicine directly(it was on philosophy and the research wasn't published it was just an analysis practically).
6. Does being a scribe count as clinical experiecne?
7. Would you recommend being a scribe if i already have being an EMT as my clinical experience?

Thank you so much for your time!! :)

Why did you originally want to be a doctor? Have those reasons changed over the years?

Thank you for doing this Hushcom.

I was hoping to your get thoughts (maybe even what your committee might think) on:

1.) What courses are considered "fluff"?
2.) How do course codes play a role?
3.)Next quarter I'm taking a Bio 37 (Brain Dysfunction) and Bio N190 (Brain Disorders). Would that raise any red flags?

@hushcom

I am wondering if i should take the year off or not.

Some people are telling me to spread my workload over my junior year but i can, with hard work, graduate my junior year and apply during my junior year which would cause me to have my senior year off. I am an EMT, I have 1 year of research under my belt and i have a good GPA.

I noticed in your previous answers regarding the gap year you recommended to someone to increase their clinical experience.

1. Would you recommend doing an internship during my year off while not continuing being an EMT?
2. Also, if i mainly was an EMT only around the summer time and didn't do it much over the school year does that look bad?
3. Does clinical research look better than wet-lab research even if both are unpublished?
4. Does a Senior Thesis look impressive?
5. Do you guys care if i presented research at a conference that has nothing to do with medicine directly(it was on philosophy and the research wasn't published it was just an analysis practically).
6. Does being a scribe count as clinical experiecne?
7. Would you recommend being a scribe if i already have being an EMT as my clinical experience?

Thank you so much for your time!! :)

First off, I would question the decision to graduate early from college. Those are good years, and the individuals I have known who finished early have sometimes voiced regret at their hurry to get through. If you are getting walloped by tuition that might be another matter...

1. I have not idea what to tell you about this.
2. No, it just looks like you're busy during the school year and can prioritize your time.
3. Both clinical and basic science research can be valuable. There is no inherent hierarchy in terms of value-added to your application.
4. Yes, if it is interesting and well executed.
5. I would care. Having more than one dimension is nice.
6. Yes.
7. If you can, then sure. The perspective you would get from each position is quite different.

Why did you originally want to be a doctor? Have those reasons changed over the years?

I come from a family of health care workers, and was a good students, so it always seemed like a natural inclination. The chance to wield a large body of knowledge to benefit both individuals and society drew me in. The ancillary benefit of having a stable, well-paying job is nice. The hours and responsibility can be a serious drag, but those come with the territory. There aren't many careers where you can have your cake and eat it, too.

First off, I would question the decision to graduate early from college. Those are good years, and the individuals I have known who finished early have sometimes voiced regret at their hurry to get through. If you are getting walloped by tuition that might be another matter...

1. I have not idea what to tell you about this.
2. No, it just looks like you're busy during the school year and can prioritize your time.
3. Both clinical and basic science research can be valuable. There is no inherent hierarchy in terms of value-added to your application.
4. Yes, if it is interesting and well executed.
5. I would care. Having more than one dimension is nice.
6. Yes.
7. If you can, then sure. The perspective you would get from each position is quite different.

Thanks for your response!

I want to graduate early because of a few reasons: first is the tuition, I do not want to increase my debt any more; second, I do enjoy college BUT I feel as though i had enjoyed it enough and i am now interested in doing something bigger with my life. Would you view this as a descent response? I do not want to come off as stuck-up or something but i get a rush from exploring new things and changing my environment. My senior year would also be very laid back and i am not that type of person. Would you still recommend taking the year off?

I was considering applying to the NIH IRTA pos bacc program, have you heard of it? How much, if any, would it increase my chances of getting in if i do it only for a year during my application year?

Also, will it look like i gave up on a research project if i only did it for a year and moved on to another project with a different professor in a different field?

Lastly, is knowing someone in the medical school going to help me get in (i.e. emailing the admissions at schools i am particularly interested in or maybe doing research/shadowing at the school i am interested in).

Thanks in advance!

hushcom, thanks in advance for doing this thread!

My question is related to relative "prestige" of the undergrad institution. I'll be applying this summer with a 4.00 sGPA, 3.99 cGPA (Bio major), but from a small private Christian University. As an interviewer, do you discount that 4.o a bit since the school isn't at all well-known for its academics?

Thanks for your response!

I want to graduate early because of a few reasons: first is the tuition, I do not want to increase my debt any more; second, I do enjoy college BUT I feel as though i had enjoyed it enough and i am now interested in doing something bigger with my life. Would you view this as a descent response? I do not want to come off as stuck-up or something but i get a rush from exploring new things and changing my environment. My senior year would also be very laid back and i am not that type of person. Would you still recommend taking the year off?

I was considering applying to the NIH IRTA pos bacc program, have you heard of it? How much, if any, would it increase my chances of getting in if i do it only for a year during my application year?

Also, will it look like i gave up on a research project if i only did it for a year and moved on to another project with a different professor in a different field?

Lastly, is knowing someone in the medical school going to help me get in (i.e. emailing the admissions at schools i am particularly interested in or maybe doing research/shadowing at the school i am interested in).

Thanks in advance!

1. You will have to answer the question of graduation timing for yourself. Minimizing debt is a good thing, but you can never go back to college, and the real world is an awful place.
2. I have heard of it, and it sounds like a good thing to do. The program runs for 1-2 years, so if the NIH thinks one year is enough to deliver some benefit then who are we to question?
3. People change projects all the time for various reasons.
4. It's a small world, and it is possible that your presence could influence your chances indirectly. Theoretically, if you impress someone who knows someone on the committee word could seep into the deliberations. Conversely, if you piss someone off it could tank you.

hushcom, thanks in advance for doing this thread!

My question is related to relative "prestige" of the undergrad institution. I'll be applying this summer with a 4.00 sGPA, 3.99 cGPA (Bio major), but from a small private Christian University. As an interviewer, do you discount that 4.o a bit since the school isn't at all well-known for its academics?

A 4.00 is a 4.00. Is it as impressive as a 4.00 from Harvey Mudd or MIT? Perhaps not, but it's still a 4.00.

This is where the MCAT really comes in handy. If you perform well then you look like a super-smart kid who just happens to attend a small private Christian University, and that will not hold you back.

Thank you for doing this Hushcom.

I was hoping to your get thoughts (maybe even what your committee might think) on:

1.) What courses are considered "fluff"?
2.) How do course codes play a role?
3.)Next quarter I'm taking a Bio 37 (Brain Dysfunction) and Bio N190 (Brain Disorders). Would that raise any red flags?

1. Show me a course and I'll tell you.
2. No clue. Sounds like something to do with AMCAS.
3. No.

Hey @hushcom ! So I was looking at AAMC data, I have a 3.65 gpa and a 34 MCAT, and apparently I have about an 80% chance of gaining an acceptance. When I check on SDN, however, my MCAT seems average at best and my gpa seems terrible. Is that just a product of lurking on SDN or are my stats really seen as just kind of average?

Does a month in israel serving in an under served community shadowing doctors and volunteering looks like an applicant is trying to boost their application? Or is it a great opportunity to see a different side of health care? Thank you

Hi Hushcom! I have a question about scribe experience. A doctor I know, who works in private practice, offered to let me volunteer in his clinic as a 'scribe.' Basically, I get to interact directly with patients, type up everything they say on the SOAP notes, and then relay the information back to the doctor so that he can get an idea of what's going on and diagnose the patient's condition.

I know this is not an actual paid scribe position (for which there is training in the ER dept. and extensive rules). In addition, I would be a scribe in primary care, not ER...Since I will be volunteering and since the doctor owns the clinic, the scribe position is more flexible. I plan to do this for 4-5 months.

Could I still put this on my resume as a clinical scribe position? Or would it not be considered as a legitimate scribe role? Would you say this experience is different from shadowing?

Also, this doctor is allowing me to interact fully with the patients (although I am not allowed to touch them, draw blood, take blood pressure, etc. ) Is this okay? Or will adcoms think that this position is "too much of a role" for a pre-medical student to have and hence, disapprove of it?

I would really appreciate your answers! Thank you!

Hey @hushcom ! So I was looking at AAMC data, I have a 3.65 gpa and a 34 MCAT, and apparently I have about an 80% chance of gaining an acceptance. When I check on SDN, however, my MCAT seems average at best and my gpa seems terrible. Is that just a product of lurking on SDN or are my stats really seen as just kind of average?

The AAMC data does not lie. Lurking around here gives one a warped view of average for a number of reasons.

A few doctors I have spoken to, who have worked in private practice, say that they hated working for hospitals because hospitals care more about making profits than the patients. How true is this?

One guy also said that in the future, most of us younger folk won't be able to go into private practice due to the rising costs. Do you agree?

Why did you decide to not go private?

Very few practitioners have the luxury of not caring about the bottom line. Hospitals are money-driven, it's true, but they are also facing an environment with static or declining reimbursements, increased costs, and increased competition with each other. If you don't care about margins then you won't keep your doors open to see any patients.

Private practices are indeed getting more difficult to open and run, and a lot of people are trading autonomy for simplicity by becoming employees of hospital-managed groups. That makes sense, overall, as it is a more efficient model than having numerous independent practices.

Who said I did not go private?

Does a month in israel serving in an under served community shadowing doctors and volunteering looks like an applicant is trying to boost their application? Or is it a great opportunity to see a different side of health care? Thank you

Depends on what you take away from it.