Any pharmacists here drive nice cars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a Scion FRS. Your opinion of the car is going to be based by the type of driver you are. If you care about straight line power and acceleration and like driving on highways with no curves, forget about it, you will hate this car.

Now if you like drifting every time you turn or are on a curve, if you like making the tires squeal as you turn and traveling on twisty, curvy, mountainous roads, you will love this car.

That doesn't bode well for it then. Texas isn't know for a lot curves or mountains, unless we are talking about girls at UT.

Members don't see this ad.

That doesn't bode well for it then. Texas isn't know for a lot curves or mountains, unless we are talking about girls at UT.

Yeah probably not unless you're into SCCA and Autocross, which I'm sure they have some weekend events for. Now, if you're willing to do some work and put $6-8k into this car (supercharger or turbo charger, exhaust/intake), you can bring the horsepower up into the mid 300s-high 400s, and it would be a beast then.

6k in mods and youre going to put yourself in an SCCA class you may or may not compete well in.

Lots of nice tracks in Texas from what Ive seen!

Members don't see this ad :)
6k in mods and youre going to put yourself in an SCCA class you may or may not compete well in.

Lots of nice tracks in Texas from what Ive seen!

What seems to happen with this car is, when it goes over 350 hp, it oversteers like crazy. Good chance you'll spin out on every turn.

My wife and I talked about it and it was down to 2012 Mercedes E350 (her preference) vs. BMW 535i (my hope), and we are going to test several of them this weekend when we visit Houston (China town and real Chinese food!). Well, then god has to throw a wretch by running me into this:

http://www.texascarsdirect.com/tcd/inventory/2012-mercedes-benz-000495

Only 487 miles and totally loaded with techs? Geeky chinamen paradise! 10% over over what I alloted for the next car but damn that thing looks fine. Totally impractical, but wow! Must....reeee..sssissst....

Last edited:
My wife and I talked about it and it was down to 2012 Mercedes E350 (her preference) vs. BMW 535i (my hope), and we are going to test several of them this weekend when we visit Houston (China town and real Chinese food!). Well, then god has to throw a wretch by running me into this:

http://www.texascarsdirect.com/tcd/inventory/2012-mercedes-benz-000495

Only 487 miles and totally loaded with techs? Geeky chinamen paradise! 10% over over what I alloted for the next car but damn that thing looks fine. Totally impractical, but wow! Must....reeee..sssissst....

What restaurants would you recommend in Houston? Need some places the next time we go down there.

What restaurants would you recommend in Houston? Need some places the next time we go down there.

This is what you are going to ask about? Houston Chinese food?! We know a few. Actually my wife knows a few since she's from there. I'll PM you when I find out. But seriously, you asked about Chinese food on a car thread? :smack:

This is what you are going to ask about? Houston Chinese food?! We know a few. Actually my wife knows a few since she's from there. I'll PM you when I find out. But seriously, you asked about Chinese food on a car thread? :smack:

:D Need something to pass the time, other than listen to the crickets chirping around here.

anderson home 865.jpg anderson home 854.jpg anderson home 875.jpg Love every minute of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Totally didn't realize you could get an E class for 35k that was that new. Making me wish I hadn't gone with a Japanese New car. How many miles on them? I assume the interest rate is like 2-3%?

Keep an eye on the texascarsdirect.com on used Mercedes prices. They seem to specialize in buy off lease ones at auctions and then sell them for basically their cost +$1-2k, no haggling. So they are useful as a gauge on what constitute as pretty good going rates for lightly used Mercedes.

So if you look at their E350 inventory, you see a nicely equoped 2012 E350 with 30k miles for $34k, decked out ones go for $36-37k; For $38-40k, you can get either a fully loaded 2012 with <15k miles, or a middle rung 2013. Also note Mercedes and BMW factory bumper to bumer warranty last 4 yr/60k miles. Interest rate of 2-3% is pretty common these days.

Last edited:
That's pretty sweet. I love the look of the E class. The only thing that worries me is the cost of maintaining them for 10 years.
I just kinda blew off BMW and Mercedes when i was doing my car search because they cost significantly more that what I was willing to pay for a new car, and the thought of paying 40k for a car with 30k miles on it was hard for me to stomach- I didn't look too extensively for a good deal.

Ya that interest rate is what I was expecting- I got 0.9% since my car was new for five years. Which is awesome because it will prevent me from buying a new car. No car payment would have been way too much of a temptation for me to upgrade.

No doubt about it, the maintenance cost will be higher on Mercedes and BMWs. Creature comfort and luxury isn't free. Since you already bought a car, you'll be just feeding the car sales men if you upgraded so soon. But there will be a next time. I don't pay too much attention to the inflated number posted on most dealer's websites, since they expecting you to haggle those down. But that website I found post their bottom line/no haggle price, gives a better idea what dealers would accept.

My wife also likes the E-class. Very comfy and looks more luxurious than the BMW 5er. The E-class has more tech options: park itself, monitors blind spots, lane departure, adaptive cruise control, automatic collision avoidance, alarm if it detects driver drowsiness... crazy. I was originally considering 2011 E-class going for around $30-33k, but some research revealed that Mercedes change the engine so the 2012 gets 34 more hp (302 vs 268 hp) and better fuel economy (20/30 vs 17/24). So a loaded 2012 cost $4K more, but newer, more hp, and gas savings that pays for itself? No brainer.

Last edited:
I have a Scion FRS. Your opinion of the car is going to be based by the type of driver you are. If you care about straight line power and acceleration and like driving on highways with no curves, forget about it, you will hate this car.

Now if you like drifting every time you turn or are on a curve, if you like making the tires squeal as you turn and traveling on twisty, curvy, mountainous roads, you will love this car.

I Love how the FRS/BRZ fanboys have even plagued a pharmacy message board. If you want performance on the cheap, drive an S2000. There are S2000s in brand new condition with <20k miles that routinely sell for ~$20k. Compare the fit and finish, compare the tranny, and F20C or F22C to the FA20. The back seats in the FRS are useless. If you need back seats and want to go fast, look at how much car you get for the money with the WRX (a car with similar fit and finish)..

FA20 = fail. Crap stock tires = fail. It wouldn't cost TM or FHI much more to put decent tires and a motor that puts out some more power. The chassis and suspension is great and can handle the extra grip and lots more power. It's not that they couldn't build a better car or value, it was a strategic move that will pay off greatly when they bring MMC models.

And Yes, I am aware most enthusiasts will upgrade their wheels/tires. If you make a car for enthusiasts why can't you give them what they want stock? I have never seen a "performance" car come with such compromise. None of this makes sense to the FRS fanboys...they want a great chassis and great "feel" with the most terrible tires and terrible power output. Hell, Honda's K20As have been around forever and the FA20s are about equals.

Spend the extra $$ on nice wheels/tires, then supercharge; it'll put your total cost well above cars that will perform so much better.

Last edited:
I Love how the FRS/BRZ fanboys have even plagued a pharmacy message board. If you want performance on the cheap, drive an S2000. There are S2000s in brand new condition with <20k miles that routinely sell for ~$20k. Compare the fit and finish, compare the tranny, and F20C or F22C to the FA20. The back seats in the FRS are useless. If you need back seats and want to go fast, look at how much car you get for the money with the WRX (a car with similar fit and finish)..

FA20 = fail. Crap stock tires = fail. It wouldn't cost TM or FHI much more to put decent tires and a motor that puts out some more power. The chassis and suspension is great and can handle the extra grip and lots more power. It's not that they couldn't build a better car or value, it was a strategic move that will pay off greatly when they bring MMC models.

And Yes, I am aware most enthusiasts will upgrade their wheels/tires. If you make a car for enthusiasts why can't you give them what they want stock? I have never seen a "performance" car come with such compromise. None of this makes sense to the FRS fanboys...they want a great chassis and great "feel" with the most terrible tires and terrible power output. Hell, Honda's K20As have been around forever and the FA20s are about equals.

Spend the extra $$ on nice wheels/tires, then supercharge; it'll put your total cost well above cars that will perform so much better.

S2000 was a great car, wanted it when I was in school and couldn't afford it. If they were still making it, I would totally buy one today, but Honda has to put it out to pasture back in 2009 I think.

What's with Honda not sticking with a good thing? Same thing they did with the acura NSX, 1 generation and kills it off.

Members don't see this ad :)
S2000 was a great car, wanted it when I was in school and couldn't afford it. If they were still making it, I would totally buy one today, but Honda has to put it out to pasture back in 2009 I think.

What's with Honda not sticking with a good thing? Same thing they did with the acura NSX, 1 generation and kills it off.

Same with Toyota and VW.

The Supra was a beast and they got rid of it and decided to make their fleet one of the most boring car fleets. Literally every car is a family car or a SUV.

VW has gone away from the styling of the early 2000s. The GTI is still there but it's nothing like how those Mk2-4s were.

Buddy bought a DeLorean, Another pharmacist buddy has a Gallardo. These guys are classmates... but not my classmates.
Another buddy drives a 911 TT with 700+ HP. His buddy has a scuderia. I have a kubota and a pontoon boat.

Come to SNHPA in San Francisco next Feb. We will Caravan. We're all driving there.

What do you guys think of the new 2015 Chrysler 200?

What do you guys think of the new 2015 Chrysler 200?
Look like a Ford Fusion and Dodge Challenger had a runt baby. Not bad, but I was hoping for something jaw dropping from the Italian dude.
-------------------
Wife wants a new Hybrid.

2012 Buick Regal eAssist vs 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid -- Which you people got?

Look like a Ford Fusion and Dodge Challenger had a runt baby. Not bad, but I was hoping for something jaw dropping from the Italian dude.
-------------------
Wife wants a new Hybrid.

2012 Buick Regal eAssist vs 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid -- Which you people got?

Pretty much every non-prius hybrid Ive seen gets marginally better MPG than their unassisted counterpart. Wouldnt trust EPA, check out fuelly or similar sights to see real world MPGs.

Nothing can touch the prius, which is due for a redesign for MY 2015.

Pretty much every non-prius hybrid Ive seen gets marginally better MPG than their unassisted counterpart. Wouldnt trust EPA, check out fuelly or similar sights to see real world MPGs.

Nothing can touch the prius, which is due for a redesign for MY 2015.

No. It looks far, far too stupid.

Then we go back to my plan. She gets the Sable. I gets a Ford Flex.

So, we got a new car a little while back. A 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek.
It's very slow. Nonetheless, I find myself enjoying it a lot. Feels very
'stable'... it's not fancy, and doesn't try to pretend it is, but feels like it'll
just go and go, for years. Mileage is only okay for a small vehicle, but
still leaps and bounds better than my old car. And I do like having at
least one AWD vehicle in the family. And damn, this thing will carry a
lot of junk for its size. We moved my fiance back from Dallas in it, with
only the trunk of her compact sedan as additional space.

And it looks a lot (I mean A LOT) better than most other compact crossovers.

Did I mention it's slow?

I still want a C63, btw.

I'll probably never drive a hybrid (other than the new Supra which is supposed to be a hybrid/twin-turbo 6 cylinder monster). The Prius is a POS.

Not all hybrids are fuel sipping slow pokes. Some of the higher end/luxury hybrids are actually more powful than the non-hybrid counter part, eg. BMW 3 hybrid. They usually only offer small MPG gains, but adds more bragging rights (look at me, I'm rich and wear a fur coat, but my car says I care about those fury woodland creatures).

We had a 2010 Prius that we lowered and put on Celica GTS rims and it handled much better.

And I could get 60mpg with it.

If they Lexus-up the interior like spy shots hint they are Ill be all over it. I REALLY miss ours......

If they Lexus-up the interior like spy shots hint they are Ill be all over it. I REALLY miss ours......

I wouldnt get my hopes up. The are more likely to put in lithium ion batteries, which are more expensive, so they have to off set with something else to keep the price reasonable. The spy photo show that they are moving the instruments to in front of the driver at least.

Not all hybrids are fuel sipping slow pokes. Some of the higher end/luxury hybrids are actually more powful than the non-hybrid counter part, eg. BMW 3 hybrid. They usually only offer small MPG gains, but adds more bragging rights (look at me, I'm rich and wear a fur coat, but my car says I care about those fury woodland creatures).

Generates more power total yes. However, it adds on another 300 lb of weight to the car. has skinnier rear tires (less contact with the road = less power to the ground), and it has a taller final drive ratio (saves gas but lowers power generation).

The other thing is, there is a delayed throttle response. The car assumes that you're fine with just using the electric motor and doesn't kick in the gas powered motor until it realizes that you're asking for more power.

Generates more power total yes. However, it adds on another 300 lb of weight to the car. has skinnier rear tires (less contact with the road = less power to the ground), and it has a taller final drive ratio (saves gas but lowers power generation).

The other thing is, there is a delayed throttle response. The car assumes that you're fine with just using the electric motor and doesn't kick in the gas powered motor until it realizes that you're asking for more power.

Not sure about the effect on balance and handling, but the extra electric motor power shaves the 0-60 by couple of tenths of a second despite the weight (>10% hp&torque gain vs 8% weight increase , not hard to accept)

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/2013/road-test1.html

Last edited:

My point is even if we give differences in test drivers, the hybrid can't be called slower. Again, 11% power gain vs 8% weight gain, even factoring in gear ratio and tire differnces, we can't expect huge differences in a acceleration by basic physics and math.

Keep in mind tesla S cando 0-60 in under 4. Electric motors generate a ton of torque which correlate with acceleration, while HP more relates to top speed. I don't want people to dismiss hybrids as inherent under performers.

Last edited:
It is done. Flew out of state test drive a car, signed on the dotted lines, will be shipped to my door hopefully in the next day or two. Still within my budget of max $40k. Excited! No more 14 yr old, every-light's-on-except-the-head-lights, hot air AC, patched up Honda Accord. I'll miss ya, o' Accord, you have served me faithfully for all those years. Hope you will find a good honest new master.

Last edited:
Anyone drive a Caddy? I bought a CTS in September and am enjoying it... putting a ton of miles on it though...

For the new grad: DON'T buy a fancy car. Just don't. Save your money. Travel. Buy a house. Don't buy a fancy car. Ok?

I finally got my letter for recall

Last edited:
You have 200+ Sparda? What's your plan? IBR or PAYE?

so here it is, delivered to my door this afternoon:

IMG_20140709_180124.jpg IMG_20140709_180202.jpg IMG_20140709_181844.jpg IMG_20140709_183643.jpg IMG_20140709_183842.jpg

Certified pre-owned 2012 Mercedes SLK 350
26,050 miles, 27 months/unlimited miles warranty remaining
3.5 liter V6: 302hp@6500 rpm, 273 ft-lb torque @3500
7 speed shiftable automatic, 0-60 in 5.4 seconds
options: premium 1 package, multimedia package, panoramic roof, keyless go, rear deck spoiler

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I really want to buy an Audi A4 next summer (used), it has been my dream car for awhile.

I'm trying to put away 1000$ a month so i can put down a large down payment. Debating whether or not I should actually get one though or wait until I'm older to get a more luxury style car. Ive seen some good used ones around here for around $26K though. I also have 55K in student loans to pay off though (plan on paying off as quickly as possible)

Should get this xip. 0 game needed LOL.

so here it is, delivered to my door this afternoon:

View attachment 183206 View attachment 183207 View attachment 183209 View attachment 183210 View attachment 183211

Certified pre-owned 2012 Mercedes SLK 350
26,050 miles, 27 months/unlimited miles warranty remaining
3.5 liter V6: 302hp@6500 rpm, 273 ft-lb torque @3500
7 speed shiftable automatic, 0-60 in 5.4 seconds
options: premium 1 package, multimedia package, panoramic roof, keyless go, rear deck spoiler

A little anemic on power, but I like the top. Kinda halfway to a full sports car but with luxury.

Should get this xip. 0 game needed LOL.

LOL, left the picking up girls scene behind a while back, when you've met enough girls a right one would eventually turn up and settle you down. Do I reminisces those days once in a while? Sure! But you know what married men say: cheaper to keep her. ;)

A little anemic on power, but I like the top. Kinda halfway to a full sports car but with luxury.

Enjoys the power a plenty already. Same class of sportiness as the Z4, or Boxter. Only really dared to floor it once to see if it really did 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, but too nervous to even keep an eye on my watch, but it felt fast. :) But I guess anything was a big step up from a Honda Accord. It has the manual shift-able automatic, but so far I have left it alone, the sports mode is already very responsive and quick on the shifting.

Enjoys the power a plenty already. Same class of sportiness as the Z4, or Boxter. Only really dared to floor it once to see if it really did 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, but too nervous to even keep an eye on my watch, but it felt fast. :) But I guess anything was a big step up from a Honda Accord. It has the manual shift-able automatic, but so far I have left it alone, the sports mode is already very responsive and quick on the shifting.

:) I hit 0-60 in 4.6~4.7 seconds on my ride... almost crapped myself, but it's nowhere near the luxury you get to enjoy. That hardtop convertible, leather interior, etc... nice.

I personally am not too fond of an automatic, but with that much horsepower you either need an automatic or some training to keep from blowing your clutch out.

Lol, yeah, big step up from a honda.

Anybody here into trucks? Whether its for offroading , hauling toys, campers, or just for the badass factor .. I would argue they are much more practical use of money .. but that may be just cause I am currently saving up for one of the new aluminum f150 , lariat 3.5L twin turbo , will cost $50k which I would argue is way better spend than a new Mercedes or BMW .. once you buy your boats, atv, or camper .. you going to tow that with your sports car ?