Anyone apply to AVC @ UPEI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

david594

The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who else in the crowd is applying to AVC at UPEI?

With the way the CAD has tanked to the USD recently, their tuition rate has become quite comparable to US out of state tuitions. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to PEI this cycle. I just received an email stating that the supplemental application is due Nov. 15th. I need to start working on that soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my supplemental app went out in the mail today.

Are there really only 2 of us on here applying to PEI? (maybe that will make our odds better) :)

One of my friends applied this year, but she's not in here. Good luck! I am SO MAD to watch the Canadian dollar tank because that was the only reason I didn't accept my spot there.

I seriously considered it for a while, but then I decided to wait and apply to out-of-country schools next year if I don't get in anywhere this year. It looks like a great school! Good luck to those of you that did apply there.

I seriously considered it for a while, but then I decided to wait and apply to out-of-country schools next year if I don't get in anywhere this year. It looks like a great school! Good luck to those of you that did apply there.

I had the same thoughts on foreign schools, but I barely consider Canada a foreign country.

I can drive there.
Its accredited by everyone.
There attrition rate is respectable.
I can work there after being a student for 6 months.
Their acceptance rate pretty good.
Their (current) tuition rate is not out of line for OOS.
Its similar to US programs with most students already having a bachelors.

Good points! Alas, it's too late now to go back and apply. :)

My other concern was the weather, I didn't know if I could handle the extreme cold. BUT I applied to several northern US state schools that have similar weather, so that point ended up being moot anyway!! I also decided that I can live practically anywhere for four years if it means getting a degree. Next year... although I can't say I'm hoping that I'll need to apply next year!

Extreme cold? PEI? Naw. If you want extreme cold, try living pretty much anywhere else in Canada :p

Really? I remember looking up weather averages for the winter and I seem to remember that it was cold and always kind of cloudy/dreary. Of course this was probably over a year ago now, so I could be remembering wrong! I have never been there. Plus I'm sure it's all relative... I'm from PA so we get a few nights a year that it's in the single digits and that's about it. Mostly 20's in the day during the coldest few weeks.

Either way, it ended up not affecting my decision so no harm done!

It suddenly dropped to 30's here after a week of high 60's... now THAT'S cold!! Brrr! ;)

I already applied to the AVC!! I'm both excited and nervous to hear back from them... I don't know for sure if I have a real shot at getting in or not, but I know this is what I want to do. So here's hoping!!!

Also, eastern Canada has much lighter winters than central Canada, where it gets pretty cold. Don't listen to the stereotypes though, we get a lot of warm weather too :)

Hi! I applied to UPEI too and am anxiously awaiting a response. I'm a second round applicant but first timer to UPEI (nontrad). Living in PA (by way of CA!) for about 3 years, I think I'm prepared for their winters :D

Hi guys =)

So for all of you anxiously waiting to hear from UPEI, I was just contacted by an individual from admissions who let me know she was going to review my application tomorrow. She emailed me because she was missing my GRE scores. So, their just starting to look at our applications now =) Goodluck to everyone :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys =)

So for all of you anxiously waiting to hear from UPEI, I was just contacted by an individual from admissions who let me know she was going to review my application tomorrow. She emailed me because she was missing my GRE scores. So, their just starting to look at our applications now =) Goodluck to everyone :luck:

Was it Emma from admissions? If so she was probably just assessing your application for completeness at this point.

I had gotten an email earlier that said: "Shortly after Jan 15, 2009 the DVM Admissions Committee will meet to review the ranking of International applicants. I anticipate that letters informing applicants whether or not they have been invited for an interview will be sent out approximately Feb 1. Interviews will progress shortly after this date and into March."

And someone else posted I think earlier today about the same time frame for application evaluations.

Hi, thought I'd bump this one up and see if anyone has news, international or domestic??? But then again, they must be reviewing our apps as we speak :p

I was in touch with Emma last week about fall transcripts, and she mentioned at the end of her reply that letters re: interviews will be mailed out in January, and that interviews will begin no earlier than mid-February.

I'm not sure if they are following the same schedule for domestic and international applicants, but I am an international applicant.

I applied too, and still haven't heard anything (international applicant).

I actually got an email today saying they received my fall transcripts and my application is complete. And that I would next hear for them if I am being offered an interview some time later this month.

Hi, thought I'd bump this one up!
Letters - for interviews and rejections - were mailed out last friday, Jan 30th. Good luck! :luck::xf:

Is that code for you got a letter?

Is that code for you got a letter?

Ha, I wish. No, my letter hasn't arrived yet but am expecting something soon. I emailed Emma the other day and was told they were mailed out last friday.

I have an interview at UPEI in March. Has anyone else heard?

Hi, a few of us have heard back about interviews. I have mine March 11th. The veterinarian I work for went to PEI and loved it! Congratulations!