UPEI AVC C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard anything after accepting your interview offer? I responded the day I received the email, but still haven’t heard anything.

same here

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything after accepting your interview offer? I responded the day I received the email, but still haven’t heard anything.
I can confirm that when I received an interview offer in past years they replied to acknowledge my email within about 24 hours. They may just be busy but it wouldn’t hurt to check in if it’s been a couple days, especially if you were supposed to reply by a certain day (idk when that is for you!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, when I was given an interview invitation, they didn't acknowledge or reply to my email confirming I'd be there for the interview. I did get an email from them a few weeks after with the subject "AVC Admissions Interview Communication" and it had all the information.

Reactions: 1 users
Last year, when I was given an interview invitation, they didn't acknowledge or reply to my email confirming I'd be there for the interview. I did get an email from them a few weeks after with the subject "AVC Admissions Interview Communication" and it had all the information.

Gotcha. I followed up on Friday and haven’t heard anything yet, so I’m assuming it’s been noted.

Got an interview appt notification this morning! Watch your inboxes!

Reactions: 1 user
I got mine yesterday!

Congrats to the people receiving interviews! If you haven't heard anything dont fret, I received a denial on 11/7 so I would assume no bad news is good news.

Hi, does anyone know if you are recorded taking the work and school approach and behavior exam? I’m trying to figure out if I need to dress professionally or if I can take it in normal clothes. Thanks in advance!

hello, do you guys know how they convert letter grades to percentages? Do they take the average of the letter grades? Thank you!!

Hi, I am from PEI and received an email asking if I would have my 20th prerequisite completed before the end of winter semester (i will, i am just first on the waitlist for my last class). This is my first time applying and I am wondering if anyone else had heard anything?

I just got a tuition deposit email from UPEI? Does that mean I'm in? I didn't get any sort of welcome, congrats, or acceptance email along with it??

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the official acceptance letter!

Do you think if we haven't heard anything a rejection is coming? (that's what it looked like for the interview invites and now i'm stressed I love this school and thought my interview went really well)

Do you think if we haven't heard anything a rejection is coming? (that's what it looked like for the interview invites and now i'm stressed I love this school and thought my interview went really well)
I really hope not, I'm assuming because they closed (2 hours ago?) For the day that maybe there's still more to come? My interview went super well so I'm still feeling hopeful

I just got added to the wait-list, does anyone know how that works??? This is my top school and I really want to get in

Hey everyone! I saw other vet school applicants setting up group chats so potential students can get to know each other. I made one if anyone wants to join. :)

You're invited to my new group 'UPEI C/O 2028' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Hi folks! Has anyone found any accepted student facebook groups or anything like that? (Rachel, your GroupMe link wasn't working for me!). Trying to figure out some international student logistics and where to start scoping out housing!

Hi folks! Has anyone found any accepted student facebook groups or anything like that? (Rachel, your GroupMe link wasn't working for me!). Trying to figure out some international student logistics and where to start scoping out housing!
Hi! Let me know if this link still doesn’t work! I would love to chat with you about figuring out international stuff. I have not 100% committed to UPEI, but also need to start figuring it out.

You're invited to my new group 'UPEI C/O 2028' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Anyone currently in the waitlist? I wonder how big the waitlist is :( What was the chance of being pulled off the list in the past??

Anyone currently in the waitlist? I wonder how big the waitlist is :( What was the chance of being pulled off the list in the past??
I am also on the international wait list. I was looking through last year’s forum and it had some useful info on what the waitlist is like. It seems like the international waitlist moves more than domestic so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for all of us! I’m unsure if the info is 100% accurate though since it’s not really talked about by the school themselves. Also wanted to mention that a lot of people say that movement on alternate lists happen post the April deadline for confirmation/denial of spots.

Last edited:
Hello! I’m a current second year student at AVC, there’s a Facebook group called “AVC Book Exchange PEI Canada” it’s a good one to join to see available apartments or textbooks etc. any other Facebook group will get created closer to the start of your first year! Congrats on your acceptance!

hey everyone! Current second year student at AVC here! Just in case nobody knew AVC has started something new this year and is only accepting 11 international students and the rest from the Maritimes, so that could be why a lot of people got waitlisted and I assume the wait list is bigger this year because of that

hey everyone! Current second year student at AVC here! Just in case nobody knew AVC has started something new this year and is only accepting 11 international students and the rest from the Maritimes, so that could be why a lot of people got waitlisted and I assume the wait list is bigger this year because of that
What does this mean for us as local students in the maritimes?

Oh this is frustrating :( But thank you so much for letting us know!

Thanks for telling us! I’m surprised they weren’t making that information available to applicants. The website still says 1/3 of the seats in each class would be held for international students

Thanks for telling us! I’m surprised they weren’t making that information available to applicants. The website still says 1/3 of the seats in each class would be held for international students
Yea I don't think it's fair to make such a significant change without letting international applicants know

Soooo… I’m up in PEI right now visiting, and while doing some research, it looks like they changed immigration rules on Jan 22. Undergraduate spouses no longer qualify for a work permit. I’m really bummed out because so far, PEI is my only guarantee and I actually really like it up here (despite it being the worst weather all winter).

Soooo… I’m up in PEI right now visiting, and while doing some research, it looks like they changed immigration rules on Jan 22. Undergraduate spouses no longer qualify for a work permit. I’m really bummed out because so far, PEI is my only guarantee and I actually really like it up here (despite it being the worst weather all winter).

Would vet students be considered undergraduate or graduate students?

I feel really stressed about my chances as an NS applicant honestly. I have a competitive GPA but not so much the vet hours (around 120 between 2 small animal clinics, and another 10 with a large animal vet), though I have a lot of animal hours (500ish) from working as a zookeeper and doing large animal work on my university campus. I've reached out to so many vet clinics across the past few years but most of them have said they are not looking for assistants/volunteers!

As of Jan 22 there’s a Canada-wide cap on international students - I think this link might explain some things for you guys:

Canada to stabilize growth and decrease number of new international student permits issued to approximately 360,000 for 2024
Yeah, this was the press release I saw when we were looking at what documentation we needed. The part I'm concerned about is "In the weeks ahead, open work permits will only be available to spouses of international students in master’s and doctoral programs. The spouses of international students in other levels of study, including undergraduate and college programs, will no longer be eligible." This is what is on the UPEI programs of study list:

Screenshot (1).png

Yeah, this was the press release I saw when we were looking at what documentation we needed. The part I'm concerned about is "In the weeks ahead, open work permits will only be available to spouses of international students in master’s and doctoral programs. The spouses of international students in other levels of study, including undergraduate and college programs, will no longer be eligible." This is what is on the UPEI programs of study list:

View attachment 382148

I’d reach out to UPEI directly if you haven’t already. They might be able to provide some clarity :)

Hi,
I'm looking to apply next cycle (NB resident), and would love to talk to someone about the admissions process and filling out the experience form.

Has anyone emailed UPEI since this discussion two weeks ago and found out more information regarding spouses being given work permits?

Has anyone emailed UPEI since this discussion two weeks ago and found out more information regarding spouses being given work permits?
I have not. I got accepted to UMN and will likely end up going there since it's easier to stay in country in a lot of ways. I have also reached out a couple of times to the admissions office about various things and haven't gotten any kind of response so I'm feeling a bit discouraged about emailing.

I feel really stressed about my chances as an NS applicant honestly. I have a competitive GPA but not so much the vet hours (around 120 between 2 small animal clinics, and another 10 with a large animal vet), though I have a lot of animal hours (500ish) from working as a zookeeper and doing large animal work on my university campus. I've reached out to so many vet clinics across the past few years but most of them have said they are not looking for assistants/volunteers!
In my honest opinion and although they don’t say this, it seems that as long as you have a competitive GPA and some vet hours, you have a high chance of getting an interview. I say this because I have hundreds of vet hours and thousands of non-vet hours but only average GPA and have been unsuccessful in obtaining an interview in the last three years I have applied. This is my fourth time applying, and have since graduated since the last cycle so I’m going in with the same GPA as last year so feel as if my chances will be the same as usual. Don’t be discouraged, I know of many people that got in with only a small amount of hours but got an interview because of competitive GPA. I’m pretty sure I have heard that your chances of an interview go entirely on your GPA, and then your animal experience is used to form your interview questions and then you are scored on how you do in the interview.

Any regional applicants get an interview email yet??
Usually hear back in mid-March around the week of St. Patrick’s Day, the previous years were these dates:

2023 - March 17th
2022 - March 25th
2021 - March 16th