Anyone else having a mild case of cold feet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumstorm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a mild case of cold feet. Don't get me wrong, I still know I am going, and I want to go, but now I am having these random thoughts like 'will I be able to keep up after being out of school for so long?' and 'do I really want to see my husband 2x a month at the most, again?' and finally 'I really dread the actual move.

I know a lot of it, for me, is the move, again. Since 2005 I have moved homes 7 times, with 4 of those across state lines, and almost all of them changes of city/employment/etc. I was working in my garden yesterday and realized I won't be home for a good part of harvest. I also realized that when hubby and I thought I wasn't getting in, we we talking about starting our family, which will have to be delayed. Also, not all my pets can go with me, and the schedule will limit our ability to travel, including visiting family.

I also, now that I am faced with the options, am not sure what area of vet med I want to pursue. In an ideal world, it would be zoo med, but not sure I want to deal with limited job opportunities and relocating for the opportunities. Mixed animal in a rural setting appeals to my upbringing, my desire for independence, and the types of places I want to raise a family, satisfied my entrepreneurial spirit, but the income is somewhat restricted. I am also interested in population medicine/research, but a bit concerned about limiting myself to govt employment. My actually background pushes me towards vet behaviorist, but I don't know that anything other than a city center could support one. Anyone else struggling with the 'what I want to be' portion?

I know once I move and such, I will be fine, but right now I keep experiencing the sensation of 'I'll have to give this part of my life up' a lot right now.

Members don't see this ad.

'will I be able to keep up after being out of school for so long?'

Scares the **** out of me. I know I am going to be competing with (we used to call them 'gunners') who are just out of undergrad who have been and are used to putting in full 18 hour credit days and hard core studying - i've never done that, and its going to be hard to adjust.

I also feel that my brain doesn't operate as fast as it used to. I have plenty of expereince, know techniques (in lab anyway) that most vet students will never be taught, am quite versed on both non and scientific lit.

But... It sometimes takes me an extra 30 seconds or so to spit out the right word, or think of the right formula, or explain the concept. Erghh, getting old...

'do I really want to see my husband 2x a month at the most, again?'

I see my g/f 2-3x a month. Talk on the phone every night. Don't see this being an issue for me... we both know what we have to do.

EDIT: Cold feet is not the right word for me, as it implies uncertainty if I WANT to do this. For me, its more like uncertainty if I CAN do it!

Last edited:
I'm definitely very nervous that I'm not going to measure up, or that after the 4th year I'll have some change of heart and realize its not for me. Im praying none of this happens. I feel so unprepared on clinical skills like drawing blood, catheters etc that I know a lot of people can do very quickly and I suck at it. Well drawing blood I have issues on dogs/cats but can hit a jug stick on a pig while its trying to take off - go figure.

Im just going to review basic classes that are part of my first quarter, anat and physio etc. I also had some amazing Endo and nutrition classes that I took beyond detailed notes in and have saved those along with select other classes to use as aid. Other than that I'm having a massive bonfire at the end of the year!

I'm sure its normal that we have these fears of stuff, we are an elite group that have made it this far and the admissions commitee's goal is to select candidates that will be able to measure up and from looking back at the graduating classes the adcomms do a pretty good job of that so they obviously know we are capable of meeting their standards and demands of the program. Now I just have to convince myself of that :D

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL. For me, cold feet works, because it is uncertainty of whether I am ok with all the sacrifices necessery to do this! I know I will, but I kind of feel like it is so much harder now to pick up my entire life and start over in another city than it was even a couple of years ago!

This was actually the first year my husband and I have lived together. Before now, one or the other of us was traveling, and I keep reminding myself that at least this time, we will be able to talk on the phone or email. Before, we were 'off' hours wise, or just too busy, or one or the other was without conveniences like a phone.

Sumstorm, I totally understand where you're coming from. I never expected to get in, so once I did I started getting a little freaked out. I'm definitely going, but I keep thinking about the life I have to leave behind. I don't have a significant other, but I have a job that I absolutely love on a dairy as a herdsman. The family I work for is amazing and I'm so sad to have to leave. Although they told me if I decide vet school isn't for me, I could always come back:) But I know in my heart that I have to go because vet medicine has been my ultimate goal for so long. So my advice would be to think about how much you've wanted to be vet, and hold onto that feeling. And remember, it's only 4 years! That's what I remind myself, and then you can ideally move somewhere you want to stay for a longer period of time. And you'll be a vet! and as for getting into the swing of classes/studying, I'm sure you'll find yourself settling into that better than you expect b/c you'll be studying something you enjoy.

I don't know if this is all that relevant but don't worry too much about being able to keep up. My friend and I were just saying yesterday how if we had known how to study like this when we were in undergrad, we would've done so much better. I think that's the reason non-trads do better after they've been to school later in their life. They're beyond the social/party scene and are much more self-disciplined than most of us young'uns. :D The "older" (i.e. not age 21-24) students are kicking butt in our class.

Once the fact that I was accepted had sunk in, I too had crazy cold-feet thoughts. I actually recall there being some posts about this from last year somewhere in the archives. Don't worry about it, everything will turn out fine. You got into vet school, you will be a vet! (I have the whole "it's meant to be" mentality about a lot of things! :rolleyes:)

Best of luck to you in your move!

IThey're beyond the social/party scene and are much more self-disciplined than most of us young'uns. :D The "older" (i.e. not age 21-24) students are kicking butt in our class.

Best of luck to you in your move!

:D I never did the party/social thing. Had a few close friends who were mostly study buddies (they partied!) but I had to work too much! Hubby keeps saying I will be fine since I won't be working, but I have never not worked, so even that feels weird.

I am sure the move will be fine, just tired of moving. Still not completly unpacked from the last move, so have to unpack then pack again! Argh.

I'm worried about staying focused and studying. I am a huge procrastinator! It took me nearly my whole undergrad to learn the studying techniques that work for me. Now, two years later, I haven't had to use them and feel that I will get behind!:eek: It really freaks me out.

Sumstorm,

I am really glad to see this post and know that I am not the only! I worked so hard just to be accepted, and now I'm doing the same thing... thinking "but I don't want to move, don't want to take on all this debt, give up my job with its nice paycheck and benefits and the security of knowing what to expect each day..." and I just started a brand new relationship and am out of my mind happy in love with this guy and I'm terrified of starting veterinary school while still being in the early stages of a wonderful relationship.

So I know what you're feeling and thinking, and all I can say is I keep reminding myself "it is only four years, and in four years I'll have the job that I love and have dreamed of and worked so hard to make happen."

And I also don't know what I want to do.. mixed practice in a rural area is appealing, small animal practice in the suburbs is appealing... I figure that by 3rd year I'll know more :)

hmm ya i'm kind of right there with ya. Not cold feet about going to school, but cold feet about if i chose the right one. I am moving across the country, to the north, to live in weather i have no spent more than 4 days in, and now have to do it for 4 years. The move definitely scares me, but i ahve done this before (like you), and know that i'll adjust. But looking for housing the other day, and knowing I won't be able to see an apartment before i sign a lease, or really meet a person before i live with them, kind of scares me. I'm so afraid that it won't work out and my first year will be affected by my living environment.

But I keep focusing on the pros, and the reasons i chose the school, and that gets me back on track (some times for a couple days, other times a few minutes lol)...

As for the school thing, i'm one of those students who is going right out of undergrad, so i'm used to the studying side of it (but definitely not to that level) and am not in your position of having that break. But I also am afraid that i won't be able to handle the extreme difficulty of the course work, but we won't know until we get int there and try our hardest.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to consider a SO, as i am not currently dating or married to anyone, so i can only imagine what it feels like to go into that kind of situation and can definitely imagine the cold feet it may cause. Can't really help with much advice, but i'm sure there are other posters in similar situations, or vet students at NCSU that may be able to tell you how they handled it.

Good luck everyone! This is so scary its exciting... right?:oops:

And I also don't know what I want to do.. mixed practice in a rural area is appealing, small animal practice in the suburbs is appealing... I figure that by 3rd year I'll know more :)

You described it exactly! I think part of the not being sure of what I want to do as a DVM isn't helping; it kind of triggers this niggling feeling of 'If I don't know what I want to do as a vet, how do I know that I want to be a vet?'

mind games. Just had my 2nd rabies, and I react to every vaccine, so now I am laying here exhausted and sick and just feeling iffy about everything...and I don't want to talk to hubby about it because I don't want to frustrate him.

can't wait to feel better and go play in the garden.

You guys know how much Ive been wanting this moment to happen...right? Well, the day I told my DVM mentor that I was accepted, we hugged and then I immediately got this look on my face and said "Dr. X...Im scared to death! Her reply....Your whole life has prepared you for this moment. Savour it. Take it all in. She said typically the non-trads so really well because we've been in all those life situations where drama happens and we get over it and move on to whats important.
Seriously, Im more worried about how the heck Im going to find time to study and take care of my family. Her suggestion was to not go home after classes if they let out early and study then. That way once you get home...you can still feel like you give your family some personal time but you got some studying in too. So, thats my plan...now if I can just sell my house.

So, thats my plan...now if I can just sell my house.

Stage, stage, stage!

I have such mixed feelings. one moment I think not having DH and half the pets around will be easier, then I see hubby do something sweet or one of the pets does something adorable, and I can't imagine not having them around!

We moved once so I wouldn't work out to sea, then 3 times to get to a point where he would have a job that would let us see each other more than a few hours a month, and now I will be gone.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, its more like uncertainty if I CAN do it!

I'm nervous too (and really, really excited)...glad I'm not the only one here! After 3 months of thinking, "Holy crap I got in :D :eek:!" it's now "Holy crap, I got in :D :scared:!" I am still in shock and excitment, but I'd like to think a lot of us are thinking the same things...Will I make friends? Will I enjoy vet school? Will I be able to learn what I need to? Will I look like an idiot? Will I make a good vet?

I think the unknown is what we're really afraid of, which is to be expected in this situation. We've had to make it through pre-reqs and applications and life so far and we're all still here. Once we start vet school, even though it will be a difficult ride, we'll just do what we have to and surprise ourselves...it will be worth it in the end! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm feeling pretty nervous about the whole thing too. Somedays I'm super excited and some days I'm like this :scared:. I'm looking forward to getting back into school again and I can't wait to be finally moving forward with my dream to be a vet. Like many of you I'm really nervous about moving halfway across the country. I also have to rent an apartment online and I'm scared of what it will be like when I see it in person. My boyfriend just got back from a deployment last week and we are spending the summer living together before he redeploys in prob October. I think moving away from him while he is getting ready to go half way across the world will be the hardest part (aside from the hard classes!)

I think (or hope!) that in the end it will all work out for the best for all of us. It feels nice to know that I'm not the only one with some uncertain feelings.

I remember those posts from last year! They honestly disgusted me, because I just wanted sooo badly to be accepted and here these people were living my dream and complaining about it?? But I absolutely understand now.

A few months ago I had my couple days of freaking out, and since then I've been mostly ok. But those few days were horrible. Why am I taking on all this debt? What am I doing?? This is the rest of my life that I will have to pay this off! What if I don't even end up liking what I do??? Could I do something else and be just as happy??

I just went with the flow and tried to remember and bring back those feelings of how much I know I want to be a vet. Since then I've been more excited than anything - I focus on all the positives, and forget about the scary parts.

It is definitely the unknown factor that gets to me. I'm one of those people that always has to plan everything in advance, and I get upset if things don't go exactly as planned (no matter how many hundreds of times it has happened over the years I still have trouble with it). So not knowing what I'm going to be doing once I graduate is tough. Equine surgery? Mixed animal? Some type of research? Immunology? General equine practice? I could see myself doing all of them (and more) and I want to start preparing now for where I will end up.

I will say that I think I've found a place to live finally, and this has helped immensely. It's scary picking a place sight unseen, but I requested lots of pictures and I've been picturing what my daily life will be like in this house. I picture what I remember from the vet school tours and imagine myself studying in the building. I imagine rushing home to play with my dog and grabbing a bite to eat and then heading back to school to study. It all calms me down.

It will be here before we know it, whether we like it or not, and I know we're all going to handle everything just fine!!! Deep breaths, one step at a time. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not worried about it. I figure if I later decide veterinary medicine isn't for me, I will just finish up the degree.

At least that way I can give vaccines at Petco on weekends to help pay my way through school for something else. :)

LOL. For me, cold feet works, because it is uncertainty of whether I am ok with all the sacrifices necessery to do this! I know I will, but I kind of feel like it is so much harder now to pick up my entire life and start over in another city than it was even a couple of years ago!

This was actually the first year my husband and I have lived together. Before now, one or the other of us was traveling, and I keep reminding myself that at least this time, we will be able to talk on the phone or email. Before, we were 'off' hours wise, or just too busy, or one or the other was without conveniences like a phone.

I totally understand. I am fully aware of all the sacrifices I am going to have to make, and if I didn't get into my state school, I don't think it would have been worth it to me. My BF is coming with me. If he wasn't I think I'd have a really hard time with that. I am really scared about postponing having kids until my late 30's; I'll be 37 when I graduate, and will probably work one year (or do an internship) before starting a family. I'm just praying I don't have any complications from making that decision.

HOWEVER - I am also experiencing GREAT inner peace at knowing I will finally BE something - something I WANT to be, and have a career and a grand feeling of accomplishment. Up until now I've tried a million things and never felt like I was doing the right thing. So now I'll have a career I can rely on.

SumStorm,
Oh no you don't bail on me now after all of our lovely personal priority battles! :D:D

I know what you are saying about trying to get back into the flow, but take it from my experience -- you will be just fine. Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and enthusiasm every time. Heh heh.;) I will also say that I found grad school a lot different from undergrad, and a lot more grown up. I am sure vet school will be the same. Besides, we are in now, all we have to do is pass our classes! What do they call the guy who got a C in surgery? Doctor silly.

As for knowing what you will be doing four years from now, don't worry about it. How many people do you know who started and ended their undergrad degree in the same major? You have lots of time to decide what you want to do, and will probably change your mind even after getting out. That is what is so cool about vet med, we get to do so many different yet equally cool things!

At least that way I can give vaccines at Petco on weekends to help pay my way through school for something else. :)

Haha thats what the company I work for does now! Our vets do absolutely nothing, well not all but most, and get like $500 a day for doing 3 11/2-2 hr clinics

Even though I know I want to be a vet without a shadow of a doubt I'm also getting the "what ifs" about vet school.

What if I fail? What if I get burnt out? What if I rack up student loans and don't graduate?

We're also moving cross country, away from everyone we know, possibly selling our house, putting us into major amounts of debt and putting off a family for 4 more years. It's a lot of huge changes and sacrifices so I know it's normal to have reservations about it but I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this.

...I will also say that I found grad school a lot different from undergrad, and a lot more grown up. I am sure vet school will be the same...

Haha! Nope, it's very much more like high school. Most of the students are between 21-24 yrs old, and they are mostly girls.

The non trads do much better because they've been through difficult situations before and aren't rattled as badly. BUT the whippersnappers have the energy and youth to live off of hot dogs & soda and do perfectly fine off of 5 hrs of sleep.

Its perfectly normal to get cold feet. I'd say you haven't fully and properly given vet school full consideration if you don't get cold feet. It's a lot for us worriers to worry about! But you will do fine. You will succeed, you will triumph. Why? Because you are prepared by all of your hard work to get IN to vet school. That's why you were accepted. :thumbup:

I will also say that I found grad school a lot different from undergrad, and a lot more grown up. I am sure vet school will be the same.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I agree with Inifinivet. Vet school=high school. Take 100 people, 3/4 of them girls, and keep them in the same room for 8+ hours a day. Add in bringing lunches, locker rooms, Type A personalities, cliques forming, anatomy lab drama....

Its usually not too bad because people do try to behave professionally, but its defintely more like high school than undergrad when comparing the two for me.

Also let me add a lil something:
For those of you who are a little socially awkward or shy or have anger management...learn some social skills/get counseling before being thrown into a pit of 140 twenty year old girls for 4 years.

We had a girl drop out of the program last week because she felt like she never made any friends. Sad.

This is another area where the non trads shine. They stay out of the drama, and have the diplomacy to handle the middle east peace conflict. Which comes in handy, trust me.

Yesterday was definitely a cold-feet day for me as well! So relieved to see this thread.

I was looking at veterinary employment ads, and they said things like "one day off per week!" Eek. When getting a single day off each week is presented as if it's a bonus, I worry. Then I saw ads that said "60-70 hrs/wk". I just don't think I'm a 60-70 hr/wk person. As a career changer, the possibility of choosing poorly again, and not realizing it until I'm $200k in debt (let's not take lost engineering wages for the four years into account), TERRIFIES me. Can anyone reassure me that you don't necessarily have to be a workaholic to work as a vet? I'd like to still have time outside of work to pursue other interests besides sleep.

I can also relate to the "What if I can't hack it at school", "Will I still have enough time to devote to my new relationship?" and "What kind of vet do I want to be when I grow up?" concerns!

I feel a tiny bit better knowing that all of you are experiencing this in one form or another.

Me too...It's kind of like, I've been working for this for so long and now I'm not working for it - I'll be doing it. :eek:

I'm worried about the workload - undergrad hasn't been a huge challenge, and so I don't have great study skills. I'm worried that it won't be everything I've built it up to be, and the not knowing exactly what I want to do with a DVM issue bugs me as well.

But then, one of the reasons it appeals to me is the choice and variety. Probably not founded. Workload? Well, that will certainly be an adjustment.

Last edited:
Then I saw ads that said "60-70 hrs/wk". I just don't think I'm a 60-70 hr/wk person.

Was this a job ad or an internship description? The vets at my job work 36 hour weeks and are paid well, and those are the emergency vets. Normal veterinary practice hours, if there are 2 vets in the practice, would work out to the same or less if you're open Saturdays and one or two late nights. I wouldn't worry much about the hours, it's all in what you choose and how much time you want to commit. Hell, our dermatoligist is one of the better paid specialists I'm told, and she works about 5 hours a day, four days a week :D

........ooops triple post =p

Last edited:

Last edited:
Will I be able to learn what I need to? Will I look like an idiot? Will I make a good vet?

All I can say is "DITTO!" I am so nervous because I'm a non-trad, which means I'm older... and I have tons of work and life experience but not much clinical experience. So I'm kind of nervous that most other students will already be able to draw blood from a dog and cat when all I can do is draw blood from a horse and cow. And I'm nervous about the quantity of information that I'll have to learn and understand and be able to apply. But I have faith in myself that I will be a good doctor of veterinary medicine by the time I finish school, and that a year after practicing I'll be confident and competent and so happy I'm sitting on top of the world!

You do know that many states have laws prohibiting non-licensed people from doing many of the procedures you guys mention. Therefore, there will be plenty of people who haven't had experience drawing blood, placing catheters, etc. I would assume schools understand the huge learning curve and make sure to accommodate everyone.

Was this a job ad or an internship description? The vets at my job work 36 hour weeks and are paid well, and those are the emergency vets. Normal veterinary practice hours, if there are 2 vets in the practice, would work out to the same or less if you're open Saturdays and one or two late nights. I wouldn't worry much about the hours, it's all in what you choose and how much time you want to commit. Hell, our dermatoligist is one of the better paid specialists I'm told, and she works about 5 hours a day, four days a week :D

Our vet SAYS she works 60+ hours a week. However, when you really look at her hours, she comes in at 8:30am MTF, departs at 5:30pm, may or may not have lunch, suppose to come in at 8:30 WTh but rarely shows before 9:30am, she is actually working 38-47 hours per week (every other weekend 4 hours on Saturday.) She is the clinic owner as well. Having said that, all the techs except me work 40+ every week (often there by 7:30am and sometimes not out before 6:30pm.) The derm I use for my dog's allergies works 6-10 hours 4 days a week, as does her husband.

Sorry, but I just have to say,... Think moving away to your school is going to be hard? Try moving all the way to LONDON!!!
Not seeing your SO/New Husband then (15 hr flight versus what, 4?), or not having time/$$$ to travel (especially being in the middle of Europe), being in a completely new country/environment, on TOP of Vet school? Yes, don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled, but I'm also equal parts scared ****less.
Oh and by the way, as a "young'un" at 24 going on 25, I'll certainly be one of the OLDEST people in my class, as the average UK student at uni is ~18!

Sorry, I was just reading everyone's posts thinking "If I were staying in the United States this would all be so much easier". I had planned for RVC as my number 1 choice all along, so I knew what was coming. I just never actually expected my dreams to come true. :love:And now that they are... it feels like a roller-coaster ride!

Was this a job ad or an internship description?

They were for VMD/DVM postings I found on Penn's Employment Opportunities site. I sorted on "Large Animal". One was for a track vet, and one was just large animal. Granted, they are from 2007, but I doubt the lifestyle has changed drastically in two years.
http://vetapps.vet.upenn.edu/studentresources/employment/invokeJob.cfm?objectid=5746
http://vetapps.vet.upenn.edu/studentresources/employment/invokeJob.cfm?objectid=5631

I'm glad to hear that in the SA world, at least, that kind of schedule is not a certainty! Still trying to learn more about the typical equine vet's schedule.

Sorry, but I just have to say,... Think moving away to your school is going to be hard? Try moving all the way to LONDON!!!
Not seeing your SO/New Husband then (15 hr flight versus what, 4?), or not having time/$$$ to travel (especially being in the middle of Europe), being in a completely new country/environment, on TOP of Vet school? Yes, don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled, but I'm also equal parts scared ****less.

Sorry, I know how hard that is as I have been there. I departed the states when my first husband had just received kidney/pancreas transplants. I was not, by terms of my contract, allowed to set foot inside US states or territories for one calendar year....and I left 15 days before 9-11. He was sick much of the time I was gone, and didn't survive an infection that triggered host vs graft when I returned.

I found that flights were actually cheaper in England that the US.... that it was possible to get repeat runs and RTW tickets for half of what I paid here, as long as I was willing to plan well in advance. London isn't THAT different from the states...I had a harder time living in bayou country in Louisiana than I did in London. I have also had the opposit. Hubby #2 (current hubby) lived in Hong Kong for a year early on. I do undertstand, but just because it is different doesn't make it easier for any of us. As I noted, part of it for me is that we had started planning a family. Hubby is significantly older....so it isn't just that I will be aging my own eggs with this decision...his age and health are factors as well. I don't know where you are in your life....at 25 I was working out to sea for weeks at a time. No flights, no phones, so I do sympathize. I just wish I wasn't having to delay children...or that we hadn't started talking about that part of our life. It does tear me between a dream career and a dream family. I hope delaying one for the other does not jeaopardize either.

Sorry, I was just reading everyone's posts thinking "If I were staying in the United States this would all be so much easier". I had planned for RVC as my number 1 choice all along, so I knew what was coming. I just never actually expected my dreams to come true. :love:And now that they are... it feels like a roller-coaster ride!

I don't think anyone was trying to say that it was impossible... but that it can be hard to weigh the costs and benefits in this decision. It IS a big decision, and will take a large committment of time, energy, and effort for more than 4 years. It might be easier for you in the states, but if you set your heart on RVC, then like the rest of us you are having to balance the good with the not so great. I hope it goes well for you, and that you find it easier to overcome the distance.

Not seeing your SO/New Husband then (15 hr flight versus what, 4?),

Whoa did he change his mind I though he was moving with you???? I guess I need to actually come to school to keep up with you guys

For me, looking through Miller's Anatomy of the Dog practically guarantees feelings of anxiety and terror. Sort of like looking a financial aid info and then at my bank account. I've never taken a purely anatomy or physiology course and I'm also worried that I know others in my class will be able to place out of histology and developmental bio. And there are always a few people from every class that drop/fail out. And no one ever thinks it's going to be them at the beginning

I know some people are trying to studying in the summer and try to get ahead, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Better to enjoy these months of money making freedom while I still can. Or so I tell myself.

I'm super excited for vet school and can't wait for all of those fun orientation activities! But it was also awesome not to have any finals for a year and to lurk around SDN instead :D....

Hey guys,

This seems like it's part of "the cycle" of getting in to vet school--if you look up old threads, each year there's been at least one thread similar to this. :) (Really busy at the end of the semester so don't have time to look it up, but I bet twelvetigers can help us out!)

Anyways, each year it seems like this is a common (and understandable!) thing to go through. But RELAX--everything will be just fine. :) If it helps, read through those old threads and see which familiar "faces" are still on the forum and what kind of posts they make about vet school, etc. You will be okay!

Personally--non-trad, hadn't taken any classes for seven years (!), had forgotten how to take notes. Didn't do any studying over the summer, moved halfway across the country away from my long-term boyfriend and to an apartment that I hadn't laid eyes on (but a friend had), etc etc. You adjust, you get through it. Anatomy was terrifying and anxiety-inducing. Living on a lump sum budget from student loans as opposted to earning a paycheck every two weeks took an adjustment--but turned out fine.

I think most of us had some major anxiety going into it--everything that's been mentioned on here, from logistics to finances to "is this what I really want?" to "can I really do this?" Don't worry--you're not alone. :) And people who have gone through this stage are succeeding, so don't worry!

You guys are awesome and brilliant and wonderful and your respective schools are lucky to have you. And you WILL succeed and do a GREAT job!!! :love: :xf:

You guys will be fine. This time next year all these worries will be gone and instead you'll just be tired and annoyed about finals.

To be honest for some people vet school is hard. For others it's not as hard. It is what you make it. You can freak out and study every night or you can set your boundaries and still have plenty of time for friends and family. Roll with the punches, don't screw around too much, don't expect to ace everything, and you'll be fine.

For the love of everything good and holy: don't study over the summer. You don't need to and you're just squandering the last of your precious freedom. Seriously. Don't do it.

For me, looking through Miller's Anatomy of the Dog practically guarantees feelings of anxiety and terror. Sort of like looking a financial aid info and then at my bank account. I've never taken a purely anatomy or physiology course and I'm also worried that I know others in my class will be able to place out of histology and developmental bio. And there are always a few people from every class that drop/fail out. And no one ever thinks it's going to be them at the beginning

I was in the exact same boat. (well, still am with my anatomy final leering next week!) I had never taken an anatomy or physiology class before in my life before coming to vet school and I got Bs in both. (could've gotten an A if I studied like I do now! :smuggrin:) There was a girl in my class who had been an anatomy TA for like 2 years and of course aced everything but trust me, it's hard for everyone. Even if you did take one in undergrad, I would bet it's different. There's a lot of support for the 1st year anatomy course (at least at my school) so don't worry, you'll be fine. (And don't read the book before you go, that's too much stress! Everyone learns it at the same rate. They will teach you what you need to know!)

As for placing out of classes, I don't think you can do that in vet school. 1st year, everyone takes the same class. And let me tell you...histo SUCKS! But you'll get through it, it's just tedious. As horrible as our teacher was, I managed a B. (I'm a pretty average student, ha)

Yes, someone always fails out. It won't be you! You seem motivated enough and the fear of failing out will be enough to keep you going. Someone will always be doing better than you, and someone will always be doing worse than you. It took me forever to realize that but trust me on it. The ones who failed in our class were the 1st-year-repeats who failed out before and one didn't EVER come to class. (How can you expect to pass?!?)

You'll do great! Relax. :)

Awww here I thought I was crazy. I've been worried in turn that the vet school made a mistake in admitting me (Am I really ready for this?!), that I'm too inexperienced (can't draw blood from anything let alone something with little veins), or that I'm delaying having a family so long and maybe I'm putting it off too long.
You guys make me feel way better. If this is a part of the process, then by all means. Maybe when classes start we'll discover we've been worrying about all the wrong things. :rolleyes:

I've been worried in turn that the vet school made a mistake in admitting me

Me too! It's odd - lately I've been thinking up reasons why they shouldn't have accepted me, such as 'I know I got an A in that class but it was only because the professor really clicked with me and I might not have done that well with someone else...' *headdesk*

My husband keeps telling me that they've been accepting students longer than I've known what the profession is, and I should trust them. It's actually helped a lot - so for all of you freaking out about the 'can I do this?' aspect of it...

The vet schools know better than you do about what makes a successful student. If you start to freak out and can't trust yourself, trust THEM for making the right decision.

And thanks to all the current students with words of assurance - it's comforting to know that other people have been here and are succeeding, and it's especially comforting to know that we'll get to the point where we're just tired and annoyed with finals!

Hey guys,

This seems like it's part of "the cycle" of getting in to vet school--if you look up old threads, each year there's been at least one thread similar to this. :) (Really busy at the end of the semester so don't have time to look it up, but I bet twelvetigers can help us out!)

Oh dear, I've been summoned.

*poof*

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=532050
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=504386
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=505878

And, to help you feel better about the summer ahead:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=526913

Twelvetigers, you are amazing!

Thank you!

Twelvetigers is our Fairy Godlinker!

It is such a relief to see this post and to know that I'm not alone! These past few weeks I've been struggling with fear/doubt about the vet school I chose. I keep asking myself: Why did you say "no" to your in-state school (Purdue) and "yes" to NCSU, which is 10 hrs away? What were you thinking leaving your parents and all your friends?

I identify with feeling like you are on a roller coaster: I'm fine or even excited for a couple days and then sad/fearful for a few days. I'm confident that I'll be ok once I get there and get busy... but until then I think this is going to be hard.

Well, at least I won't be the only Hoosier at NCSU!