Applying with low MCAT then retaking the exam after primary submission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredocn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a very low MCAT score, and I plan on submitting my application this cycle. I am considering retaking my exam and hopefully improving my score. If I submit my primary application with my old and low MCAT score, and then retake the MCAT after verification and I send both scores to schools, do I get a better shot? I don't even know if this is possible, is it?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a very low MCAT score, and I plan on submitting my application this cycle. I am considering retaking my exam and hopefully improving my score. If I submit my primary application with my old and low MCAT score, and then retake the MCAT after verification and I send both scores to schools, do I get a better shot? I don't even know if this is possible, is it?
Exactly what do you define as a very low MCAT score?

Thank you guys so much for the feedback, it lifted up my spirits!
Stats are:
3.88 cGPA, 3.86 sGPA
518 MCAT
Around 1000 hours of research (three separate research, only summer :writer:)
Nearly 500 hours of clinical volunteering
400 hours nonclinical volunteering
Strong letters
1 pub as first author, named outstanding researcher for a summer of research, several poster presentations and leadership roles.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's mid-June, you've got one "very low MCAT score," and you are "considering retaking." That's a recipe for a late application with two low scores.

My advice to people in your shoes is pause any thought of applying and just focus on getting a higher score. It doesn't matter if that happens in August, December, or next March.

Do this right and you can get an acceptance. Do this wrong and you may end up debating Carib vs. PA vs. NP.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Not a good idea. You want to put your best foot forward on your initial cycle

Reactions: 3 users
This was not an answer to my question and is not helpful at all.
I mean you're on the verge of doing the same thing twice. Before you got your MCAT score or maybe even before you took the exam you came here to plan about what you would do with a hypothetical score.

Now you are considering retaking with the assumption that you will improve enough to move the needle. Take your time and get the score you want!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
This was not an answer to my question and is not helpful at all.
You need to learn to read between the lines. It was helpful, regardless of whether or not it was something you wanted to hear.

He's telling you to walk before you can run. Wait for your MCAT and apply when you're ready.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
You need to learn to read between the lines. It was helpful, regardless of whether or not it was something you wanted to hear.

He's telling you to walk before you can run. Wait for your MCAT and apply when you're ready.
lol I already have my MCAT score just not that score. I just know he is mean to me all the time.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
lol I already have my MCAT score just not that score. I just know he is mean to me all the time.
I think Bwesternn meant waiting on retaking your MCAT. I agree, I think you shouldn't rush to retake and risk not getting a good score again. Also for what it's worth, I didn't read Goro's response as mean, just frank. He's right that being too confident and taking an MCAT again too soon and getting two low scores back to back will not look good. The important question here is: do you feel confident that you will do better on this june MCAT? How have your practice scores been?

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Goro is the best kitty ever. And @Moko is the fluffiest boy.

All jokes aside, take your time studying and apply next cycle. It's worth it. A bad MCAT means so much money wasted on applying needlessly and now you have the time to improve.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Others have already commented on this, but I can't resist. This is an anonymous forum, one in which nobody gains anything from singling out and tearing YOU down.

This site is chock full of neurotic pre-meds who think anything less than having a 3.8, 516 and being a cancer cure founder, non-profit creator, and doctor in a past lifetime is bound to have a failed application cycle. You don't want to disclose what your first MCAT was? That's fine, but then understand that the advice that you will receive will be one that lacked a crucial piece of information.

And yes, I meant wait for your retake score. Best of luck

Reactions: 2 users