Are we not manufacturing our own demise in this profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOOM N GLOOM

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Think about it: where are the two online vehicles by which pharmacists would seek their information about the field on? SDN and Reddit. Pre-pharms, pharm students, residents, practicing pharmacists, faculty at pharm schools, etc all use these forums.

So with the almost daily occurrences of doom and gloom threads on these sites, do you not think that pharmacists/decision-makers at corporate chains and PBMs take note of this? Do you not think that the number of pity-seeking threads on these forums helps to inform and justify corporate decision-makers’ decisions to further cut hours and wages?

It’s a slippery slope of a profession. All the more reason to get out while you can. Take note, pre-pharms.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I know for a fact CVS has people keep tabs on SDN and Reddit. I had something I posted on here roll downhill all the way from Rhode Island and get me yelled at one time. Which is why when people try to disguise what they are talking about on Reddit it cracks me up. They'll call CVS "Three letter", Wags "HappyHealthy", and Target "Bullseye" as if the social media people at corporate aren't monitoring these forums and can't break their military grade encryption.

That said, nothing we post will affect employment. They will rely on labor market studies to do whatever they need to do to maximize value to stockholders. When you agree to work for a corporation, you have to accept that you are just a cost of doing business to them. Any way they can minimize or reduce these costs while maintaining operational strength, they will pursue it. It is what it is. Don't be mad at them, be mad at capitalism.

Reactions: 10 users
I am pretty sure these big companies have a lot to do with the current situation pharmacists are in.
They manipulated things devious enough so they can call all the shots as employers. You think they really care about what`s said here at this point? lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had I known about this crappy situation pharmacy is in, i would've just gone to med school. But at the same time, i'm happy being at an independent... so whatever haha.

Think about it: where are the two online vehicles by which pharmacists would seek their information about the field on? SDN and Reddit. Pre-pharms, pharm students, residents, practicing pharmacists, faculty at pharm schools, etc all use these forums.

So with the almost daily occurrences of doom and gloom threads on these sites, do you not think that pharmacists/decision-makers at corporate chains and PBMs take note of this? Do you not think that the number of pity-seeking threads on these forums helps to inform and justify corporate decision-makers’ decisions to further cut hours and wages?

It’s a slippery slope of a profession. All the more reason to get out while you can. Take note, pre-pharms.

My mind is blown. Thank you again for these informational posts.

Reactions: 2 users
I know for a fact CVS has people keep tabs on SDN and Reddit. I had something I posted on here roll downhill all the way from Rhode Island and get me yelled at one time. Which is why when people try to disguise what they are talking about on Reddit it cracks me up. They'll call CVS "Three letter", Wags "HappyHealthy", and Target "Bullseye" as if the social media people at corporate aren't monitoring these forums and can't break their military grade encryption.

That said, nothing we post will affect employment. They will rely on labor market studies to do whatever they need to do to maximize value to stockholders. When you agree to work for a corporation, you have to accept that you are just a cost of doing business to them. Any way they can minimize or reduce these costs while maintaining operational strength, they will pursue it. It is what it is. Don't be mad at them, be mad at capitalism.
They know CVS’ people know what “three letter” means. They just don’t want to make it so easy for them to get automated notifications.

Good point, My DM is well aware of whats going on and hires new grads for less pay and hours every chance he can. he's probably been here a time or two,. lol

Reactions: 1 user

He's got a valid point, the companies are not "out to get us" , they are capitalizing on opportunity. It stinks, so we have a tough choice to make...stay or go? Me personally, i'm riding out this last wave of a highly paid position and when i'm gone, no doubt the salary will drop and the stress will be the same for whoever takes the helm at my store. but i wont give up until the last round. Kinda like mike tyson, when i see buster douglas step in the ring....i will throw in the towel lol. (i still think that was thrown, buster was in bad shape)

One day when we have grandchildren, they'll say "Pharmacy used to be a profession?"

Reactions: 3 users

"military grade encryption"

kek'd and checked

But at the same time some of us are manufacturing gloom, knowing that it will discourage pre-pharmacy student. But that isn't the solution, cause the seats will get filled one way or the other. Discouraging the good caliber, passionate students from pursuing pharmacy won't alleviate the challenges (poor work conditions and the **future** job market) that have to be overcome

Members don't see this ad :)
But at the same time some of us are manufacturing gloom, knowing that it will discourage pre-pharmacy student. But that isn't the solution, cause the seats will get filled one way or the other. Discouraging the good caliber, passionate students from pursuing pharmacy won't alleviate the challenges (poor work conditions and the **future** job market) that have to be overcome
Well said! We're not all drones chasing a dollar sign, contrary to what some might believe.

But at the same time some of us are manufacturing gloom, knowing that it will discourage pre-pharmacy student.

Reporting what you are experiencing isn't manufacturing gloom. Potential students deserve to have as much information as possible when making important decisions like this. Pharmacy schools will tell them the same lines about provider status and new fields, all the while discrediting current pharmacists. How often do we have a P1 come on here to enlighten us on these exciting new developments, only to imply we are out of touch and don't believe in pharmacy if anyone disagrees?

Your potential school most likely won't mention consolidation, layoffs, reduced hours, and declining pay on their brochure.

Reactions: 4 users
Well said! We're not all drones chasing a dollar sign, contrary to what some might believe.

No man your right, but some of us would prefer to not live out of our car ya know? I would rather not see the profession sink to 25 bucks an hour in my lifetime. We worked hard and regardless, I have always been passionate and love pharmacy as most of us are/do. We deserve a little something huh? If not, then how about the government reduces all our loans, you cant have it both ways. or maybe you can...lol

Reporting what you are experiencing isn't manufacturing gloom. Potential students deserve to have as much information as possible when making important decisions like this. Pharmacy schools will tell them the same lines about provider status and new fields, all the while discrediting current pharmacists. How often do we have a P1 come on here to enlighten us on these exciting new developments, only to imply we are out of touch and don't believe in pharmacy if anyone disagrees?

Your potential school most likely won't mention consolidation, layoffs, reduced hours, and declining pay on their brochure.

Absolutely, this is a fast declining field. If you cant see that you probably deserve those high dollar loans and expensive education. This will not end until the government STOPS loaning all this money at high interest rates to any joe schmoe who wants to be a pharmacist. That's when the end of this will come. You ever talk to a pharmacist from say 2000 or 2005? their education cast like 40-50K total and their loans were around 1-3 percent FIXED. Why? why did my education in 2008---2012 cost over 100,000 and the loans were variable 6-->8%? inflation? thats like a gallon of milk going from 3.50 to 9.75 in 5-8 years??? they cashed in is all....and burried people alive with a loan the size of a mortgage with interest rates that are horrible...BURRIED ALIVE

My mind is blown. Thank you again for these informational posts.

LOL....yeah the problem exists in the real world regardless of these boards. It's VERY noticeable ..... LOL

Absolutely, this is a fast declining field. If you cant see that you probably deserve those high dollar loans and expensive education. This will not end until the government STOPS loaning all this money at high interest rates to any joe schmoe who wants to be a pharmacist. That's when the end of this will come. You ever talk to a pharmacist from say 2000 or 2005? their education cast like 40-50K total and their loans were around 1-3 percent FIXED. Why? why did my education in 2008---2012 cost over 100,000 and the loans were variable 6-->8%? inflation? thats like a gallon of milk going from 3.50 to 9.75 in 5-8 years??? they cashed in is all....and burried people alive with a loan the size of a mortgage with interest rates that are horrible...BURRIED ALIVE

That’s my biggest issue with it all is how fast costs went up. Just my four years at a state school tuition was about 40% higher my 4th year (not counting summer semester).

People that graduated 4-5 years earliers tuition was half my p1 year.

And I can’t stand this “financial aid” at awful interest rates. Should be based on inflation period, and grad students shouldn’t have higher rates then undergrad if they are a better risk (md, pharmd, dental, etc)

That’s my biggest issue with it all is how fast costs went up. Just my four years at a state school tuition was about 40% higher my 4th year (not counting summer semester).

People that graduated 4-5 years earliers tuition was half my p1 year.

And I can’t stand this “financial aid” at awful interest rates. Should be based on inflation period, and grad students shouldn’t have higher rates then undergrad if they are a better risk (md, pharmd, dental, etc)

Bro, if we really are valued healthcare professionals, the country should support us with lower costs and lower FIXED interest rates because we are giving back to society in a big way right? Our role is expanding right? we vaccinate and support community health and wellness right? MTM....on and on ...blah...blah... all money in the end. Nobody cares obviously or someone would stand up. What do the state boards do? raise the supervision rates for pharmacists (which only supports big chains), what do the schools do? Open up more seats and raise tuition. What does the government do? loan HIGH dollar loans at premium interest. What did APHA do so far to address this? NOTHING...the only ones losing here are the poor pharmacists. Everyone else is busy counting money.

Ever since I read this comment, I am constantly guessing who could be one of these undercover people.

Bro, if we really are valued healthcare professionals, the country should support us with lower costs and lower FIXED interest rates because we are giving back to society in a big way right? Our role is expanding right? we vaccinate and support community health and wellness right? MTM....on and on ...blah...blah... all money in the end. Nobody cares obviously or someone would stand up. What do the state boards do? raise the supervision rates for pharmacists (which only supports big chains), what do the schools do? Open up more seats and raise tuition. What does the government do? loan HIGH dollar loans at premium interest. What did APHA do so far to address this? NOTHING...the only ones losing here are the poor pharmacists. Everyone else is busy counting money.

To be fair pharmacists arn't really needed. It's only the nanny state that makes them exist. Otherwise all drugs would be OTC and ppl would look up their disease states on uptodat and lexicomp and treat themselves. It's not that hard....

To be fair pharmacists arn't really needed. It's only the nanny state that makes them exist. Otherwise all drugs would be OTC and ppl would look up their disease states on uptodat and lexicomp and treat themselves. It's not that hard....

Well, there is some logic to that. This is the only country im aware of where pharmacists make the salaries we do. It cant last forever.

Well, the problem is the average person's reading comprehension is at a 4th grade level. People don't read, and when they do, they don't understand what they read. Not to mention, everyone always thinks they have a disease as soon as they read about it (myself included, and probably everyone in pharmacy school as they learned about disease states), so people would be subjecting themselves to all kinds of side effects and toxicity (because everyone knows more is better, so people would easily overdose.)

Sure, there are some intelligent people who could read and treat themselves appropriately...just like there are some intelligent people who can represent themselves in a courtroom without a lawyer. But these people are few and far between.

Well, the problem is the average person's reading comprehension is at a 4th grade level. People don't read, and when they do, they don't understand what they read. Not to mention, everyone always thinks they have a disease as soon as they read about it (myself included, and probably everyone in pharmacy school as they learned about disease states), so people would be subjecting themselves to all kinds of side effects and toxicity (because everyone knows more is better, so people would easily overdose.)

Sure, there are some intelligent people who could read and treat themselves appropriately...just like there are some intelligent people who can represent themselves in a courtroom without a lawyer. But these people are few and far between.

It's not that people have a 4th grade reader level. People can read fine. Even the extremely poor and uneducated can read mcdonald's menu. I have represented myself in court. It's an easy concept but the court makes it difficult on purpose making confusing rules and even having lot's of latin words that are outdated and at worse discriminatory. The same is with drug information sheets. They could make them at a 3rd grade reading level easily. They just choose not to as part of the pharmaceutical industrial complex to keep the poor and uneducated down, so that they are unable to understand to keep them discouraged. You don't need to understand that Warfarin stops clotting factors 10, 7, 2 and 9 all you have to know if take more Warfarin when your INR is less than 2 take less when it is above 3. A 11 year old could understand this.

It's a 4chan thing. I think it roughly means "lol, so true". I have actually learned a lot of new internet slang from modest_anteater.
Kek means lol in WOW if you are part of the Hoard organization and listening from a Human perspective.

It's not that people have a 4th grade reader level. People can read fine. Even the extremely poor and uneducated can read mcdonald's menu. I have represented myself in court. It's an easy concept but the court makes it difficult on purpose making confusing rules and even having lot's of latin words that are outdated and at worse discriminatory. The same is with drug information sheets. They could make them at a 3rd grade reading level easily. They just choose not to as part of the pharmaceutical industrial complex to keep the poor and uneducated down, so that they are unable to understand to keep them discouraged. You don't need to understand that Warfarin stops clotting factors 10, 7, 2 and 9 all you have to know if take more Warfarin when your INR is less than 2 take less when it is above 3. A 11 year old could understand this.

Stop please just stop.

You clearly don't understand the purpose of the profession nor should you ever be a pharmacist.

I dont think anyone but a healthcare specialist should be dosing warfarin. thats my opinion, they really could hurt themselves quickly. and never see it coming.