Demise of our profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't see pharmacy dying but rather evolving. All this tech talk makes me think that those skills should be added to the pharmacy school curriculum or be an elective. Biostatistics is already part of most schools' curriculum so perhaps even a basic understanding of coding should be implemented as a P1 course. If the glut of school is the problem, they must provide some useful skills for graduates to distinguish themselves.

LoL if a comp sci 101 or similar was part of the pharmacy school curriculum then 95% of pharmacy students wouldn't pass. This is actually a brilliant idea! It would definitely help flatten the curve in pharmacy saturation.

Members don't see this ad.

LoL if a comp sci 101 or similar was part of the pharmacy school curriculum then 95% of pharmacy students wouldn't pass. This is actually a brilliant idea! It would definitely help flatten the curve in pharmacy saturation.

Damn, is coding really that hard?

Its not hard to understand but you have to practice a lot or you will never build up any skills for any language. You will have to spend a lot of time trying to tackle different projects to explore different algorithms, methods, concepts concerning a family of classes, all the little nuances of different data types, etc.; just a lot of work.
CS1 usually uses C to learn the basics of coding and about pointers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Depends on the person. Most pharmacy students don't think the same way as programmers. It's like learning a new language.

Has anyone else noticed a sharp shift in mentality in the profession? The number of people begging for student loan forgiveness has just blown through the roof. Really makes me wonder why pharmacy schools are accepting these types of people into their program. Is that a new question on the application? "Do you plan on being a freeloader and leech on the American taxpayer after you graduate?"

• Hmm
As if every person here doesn’t favor tax policies that benefit them. :rolleyes:

Don’t be salty just because someone other than yourself benefits from a government action, be happy for them.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't see pharmacy dying but rather evolving. All this tech talk makes me think that those skills should be added to the pharmacy school curriculum or be an elective. Biostatistics is already part of most schools' curriculum so perhaps even a basic understanding of coding should be implemented as a P1 course. If the glut of school is the problem, they must provide some useful skills for graduates to distinguish themselves.
They will never push something like coding. Pharmacy schools still want to push the residency BS, because it is still marketable, lol. If they wanted to push something marketable, they should have linked with a PA school, instead of promoting this residency propaganda

Last edited by a moderator:
Programming is not memorizing facts that one can look up on Up to Date, Lexicomp, package insert, or Micromedex or Guidelines. It is like calculus in that you have to practice every day because it involves all lot of application and zero memorization.

Not sure why this concept is so difficult:

If you want to leave a profession then leave. If you can't, then make a plan (save money, sell a house, look for projected areas to move your family, you know...grown up planning) then leave. Apparently most talk a good talk about being a plumber, coding, welder, shoot even a youtube fanatic (lol) but you got to put on big-boy pants and make it happen.

You already have debt. Accept the fact that chances are you wont leave the tunnel being rich (most definitely the short-term). Might as well pick something that might spark your interest.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else noticed a sharp shift in mentality in the profession? The number of people begging for student loan forgiveness has just blown through the roof. Really makes me wonder why pharmacy schools are accepting these types of people into their program. Is that a new question on the application? "Do you plan on being a freeloader and leech on the American taxpayer after you graduate?"

Yeah, when you paid $300 k for a program and you are only make $100 k a year...you don’t have any other option besides begging for loan forgiveness.

They are just buying time. The tax bomb in 20 years is going to crush them financially.

Yeah, when you paid $300 k for a program and you are only make $100 k a year...you don’t have any other option besides begging for loan forgiveness.

They are just buying time. The tax bomb in 20 years is going to crush them financially.

guess who. hint: not Sanders or Warren

Screenshot_20200410-110325_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

You have no clue. The only politicians that care for loan forgiveness are Bernie and Warren. Both are gone. Expect nothing from Trump or Biden.

Enjoy your tax bomb in 20 years. If there is any forgiveness, expect them to put an income or asset limitation.

You have no clue. The only politicians that care for loan forgiveness are Bernie and Warren. Both are gone. Expect nothing from Trump or Biden.

Enjoy your tax bomb in 20 years. If there is any forgiveness, expect them to put an income or asset limitation.

no tax bomb proposal from biden... he has a lead in the polls. be afraid. very afraid

Members don't see this ad :)
no tax bomb proposal from biden... he has a lead in the polls. be afraid. very afraid

Nothing will change under Biden. He is an old dog who can’t learn new tricks.

How is apt living?

Nothing will change under Biden. He is an old dog who can’t learn new tricks.

How is apt living?
good. qualified for 710k mortgage based on my rph income but nothing enticing. im picky with housing

Let's also add finance 101, plumming 101, truck driving 101, etc, to the curriculum.

Programming is not memorizing facts that one can look up on Up to Date, Lexicomp, package insert, or Micromedex or Guidelines. It is like calculus in that you have to practice every day because it involves all lot of application and zero memorization.

Great explanation. To put it another way, you won't get a standardized multiple choice exam for coding/engineering. The answers are free form, some of the questions give you a blank piece of paper and you have to write everything down just like on a calculus exam. You can legit get a zero if you don't know what you're doing. Compare to pharmacy where you will statistically get at least 20-25% just from guessing.

...The answers are free form, some of the questions give you a blank piece of paper and you have to write everything down just like on a calculus exam...
What kind of computer science courses are you taking where you have to write out the main program on a piece of paper without the use of a debugger and google?

What kind of computer science courses are you taking where you have to write out the main program on a piece of paper without the use of a debugger and google?

I don't personally take any but here is an example of the free form answers:

Just realized who I was conversing with. Don't reply to my messages please.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Why you keep on telling people programming is hard when you don't know anything about it?

You alright man? Do you want a have a beer together or something?

My friend's comp sci 101 class started with around 200 kids, and only 50 or so made it to graduation. That sounds hard to me.

You alright man? Do you want a have a beer together or something?

My friend's comp sci 101 class started with around 200 kids, and only 50 or so made it to graduation. That sounds hard to me.
Yeah and Im sure nobody dropped out of your chemistry/bio/etc. class because it was so easy right? Stop telling people to get certificates over a degree and stop telling pharmacy students they cant go into CS.

Yeah and Im sure nobody dropped out of your chemistry/bio/etc. class because it was so easy right? Stop telling people to get certificates over a degree and stop telling pharmacy students they cant go into CS.

Only a few dropped out of my science classes, not 75%. Would you rather have me say "comp sci is easy anyone can do it"? Because that is not true.

Also I never told anyone to get a certificate vs a degree, what are you talking about? You seriously must be thinking of someone else dude.

Last edited:

You have to do this with a lot of CS classes. Not the whole program but main parts of the code.

You have to do this with a lot of CS classes. Not the whole program but main parts of the code.

Exactly. Maybe this guy is the one who doesn't know anything about it? LoL.

Why wouldn't you just write it out in an IDE? Who memorizes this stuff enough to write it down on paper and not even in pseudocode form? You should be looking up the libraries of whatever language you are using. Do you serious sit there and write out a main program? Are there pre-existing methods or are you being tested on some algorithm? Im just confused here, can you give an example problem involving the main?

• Hmm
Why wouldn't you just write it out in an IDE? Who memorizes this stuff enough to write it down on paper and not even in pseudocode form? You should be looking up the libraries of whatever language you are using. Do you serious sit there and write out a main program? Are there pre-existing methods or are you being tested on some algorithm? Im just confused here, can you give an example problem involving the main?

I took a few lower level CS classes in college. Tests were usually on paper. An example question might be like create an Employee Class with X method so something really simple. Projects were moreso like actual code and execution.

The grading with done on a combination of these. The theory was tested with the paper tests and the practical with actual coding.

The official Oracle Java Certification exam doesn't ask you to actually code anything, but instead answer multiple choice questions with some of the questions being based on actual code.

I took a few lower level CS classes in college. Tests were usually on paper. An example question might be like create an Employee Class with X method so something really simple. Projects were moreso like actual code and execution.

The grading with done on a combination of these. The theory was tested with the paper tests and the practical with actual coding.

The official Oracle Java Certification exam doesn't ask you to actually code anything, but instead answer multiple choice questions with some of the questions being based on actual code.

Sounds a bit counter intuitive. They teach you about compiling errors as well as heavily emphasize the use of debugger tools in early CS classes. So it just makes me wonder why your lower level CS courses did not do this and rather used paper and pencil to go over very simple code statements. I would understand if you were going over conditional operators and also math but doing things on paper rather than an ide just sounds strange. Or even asking students to learn how to transfer source code since this WILL be something you do in the real world, passing files back and forth. And not every language has the same process. So having an exam on paper just seems extremely strange; never seen it.

Last edited:
Sounds a bit counter intuitive. They teach you about compiling errors as well as heavily emphasize the use of debugger tools in early CS classes. So it just makes me wonder why your lower level CS courses did not do this and rather used paper and pencil to go over very simple code statements. I would understand if you were going over conditional operators and also math but doing things on paper rather than an ide just sounds strange. Or even asking students to learn how to transfer source code since this WILL be something you do in the real world, passing files back and forth. And not every language has the same process. So having an exam on paper just seems extremely strange; never seen it.

Because there's a lot of theory within CS and because a lot of test questions can be written like regular science class exam questions (ie multiple choice, short answer).

There are a lot of projects where you do actually have to write code tho.

Because there's a lot of theory within CS and because a lot of test questions can be written like regular science class exam questions (ie multiple choice, short answer).

There are a lot of projects where you do actually have to write code tho.
I don't want to keep repeating myself but its strange you don't find it strange either. Theory is learned in lecture but you always practice theory in IDE with use of a debugger (can understand nuances of all data types this way). Once again, I am just really confused as to how your CS1 or CS2 course went down. Its almost like taking a chem class without a lab. Also for both CS1 and CS2, theory should be applied through use of algorithms and proof that it compiles so once again I don't know how you managed to do this on paper. Exams will usually ask you to create a simple program using all the concepts you have learned such as arrays, polymorphism, creation of objects through different constructors allowing for different arguments to be passed, understanding signatures of a method, differences in time efficiency although you are only saving microseconds, etc. I can't imagine doing this on paper and guessing if any of it will work...
The only time I ever took paper exams so far was for math related courses. Yes you are given a sample code but its pseudocode and not actual code since its not smart to memorize code.
Yeah, at this point I don't really care anymore. Just know that times have changed and what you just said is quite strange to hear.

Can you try to think of a question you vaguely remember? I am so curious as to what you learned... Actually to start it off, you are proficient in use of C and pointers, right? This should have been the first thing you learned.

Last edited:
I don't want to keep repeating myself but its strange you don't find it strange either. Theory is learned in lecture but you always practice theory in IDE with use of a debugger (can understand nuances of all data types this way). Once again, I am just really confused as to how your CS1 or CS2 course went down. Its almost like taking a chem class without a lab. Also for both CS1 and CS2, theory should be applied through use of algorithms and proof that it compiles so once again I don't know how you managed to do this on paper. Exams will usually ask you to create a simple program using all the concepts you have learned such as arrays, polymorphism, creation of objects through different constructors allowing for different arguments to be passed, understanding signatures of a method, differences in time efficiency although you are only saving microseconds, etc. I can't imagine doing this on paper and guessing if any of it will work...
The only time I ever took paper exams so far was for math related courses. Yes you are given a sample code but its pseudocode and not actual code since its not smart to memorize code.
Yeah, at this point I don't really care anymore. Just know that times have changed and what you just said is quite strange to hear.

Can you try to think of a question you vaguely remember? I am so curious as to what you learned... Actually to start it off, you are proficient in use of C and pointers, right? This should have been the first thing you learned.

My school was moreso Java based for CS 1 and CS 2.

I'm not surprised that we had paper exams. There's a lot of CS that can be tested without actually writing a program (ie the Oracle Java exam). And I'm willing to bet there'd be grading issues with having to turn in a program for an exam (ie it'd be hard to get partial credit for a program that fails.)

A sample question might be like describe the difference between a List and an Array and when you'd use either one.

Also, you wouldn't expect say a Computer Engineering exam to create a robot for an exam, but maybe like sketch out how you would do so.

That’s why CS majors do internships over the summer to perform actual coding. Doing a internship can also help one succeed in CS engineering school.

My school was moreso Java based for CS 1 and CS 2.

I'm not surprised that we had paper exams. There's a lot of CS that can be tested without actually writing a program (ie the Oracle Java exam). And I'm willing to bet there'd be grading issues with having to turn in a program for an exam (ie it'd be hard to get partial credit for a program that fails.)

A sample question might be like describe the difference between a List and an Array and when you'd use either one.

Also, you wouldn't expect say a Computer Engineering exam to create a robot for an exam, but maybe like sketch out how you would do so.
Hardware engineering and software engineering are two completely different things. Are you using computer engineering as an analogy? If so, I don't know what to think of it because I don't know anything about producing hardware. And lmao at that sample question. Thats like being asked, "define chemistry and why its different than biology." I would expect something more like, "In a situation where new entries need to be added in the future, would it be more appropriate to use an ArrayList or an Array?" But even that question is ridiculous because a more realistic question on an exam would be, "Prompt the user to choose from the menu. Allow users to add and delete entries in the catalog. Store data in a file by creating an I/O stream. Make sure entries are saved and can be edited even after ending main." Which would test your knowledge of which would be more appropriate to use. Also, partial credit is given if the flow and scheme seems correct. Often times errors occur because of a simple syntax error or an unexpected result that cascaded into something undesirable/infinite loop/crashing (hence the importance of the debugger). So yes, you can get partial credit just like how you can get partial credit on math problems. What year did you take CS1 and CS2? It sounds like you skipped procedural programming which is extremely strange.

That’s why CS majors do internships over the summer to perform actual coding. Doing a internship can also help one succeed in CS engineering school.
Yes but that wasn't what I was confused about. I was just confused because the other guy seemed like he skipped over a lot of basics. You can't expect to land an internship without knowing the basics. Whats going to happen when they ask you to just create a method that uses a pointer? And on top of that, how are you going to know what format the file needs to be in and what restrictions there are to C files if all you ever did was work on paper? Practicing is a huge part and you can't do that with pencil and paper...

Last edited:
Last edited:

I told you....I got a feeling banks are going to start to count 1% of your outstanding student loan as your monthly debt. You might not qualify after all. Pre-approval doesn’t mean jack in times like this. You are going to find out only after they scrutinized your paperwork.

Hardware engineering and software engineering are two completely different things. Are you using computer engineering as an analogy? If so, I don't know what to think of it because I don't know anything about producing hardware. And lmao at that sample question. Thats like being asked, "define chemistry and why its different than biology." I would expect something more like, "In a situation where new entries need to be added in the future, would it be more appropriate to use an ArrayList or an Array?" But even that question is ridiculous because a more realistic question on an exam would be, "Prompt the user to choose from the menu. Allow users to add and delete entries in the catalog. Store data in a file by creating an I/O stream. Make sure entries are saved and can be edited even after ending main." Which would test your knowledge of which would be more appropriate to use. Also, partial credit is given if the flow and scheme seems correct. Often times errors occur because of a simple syntax error or an unexpected result that cascaded into something undesirable/infinite loop/crashing (hence the importance of the debugger). So yes, you can get partial credit just like how you can get partial credit on math problems. What year did you take CS1 and CS2? It sounds like you skipped procedural programming which is extremely strange.

Yes but that wasn't what I was confused about. I was just confused because the other guy seemed like he skipped over a lot of basics. You can't expect to land an internship without knowing the basics. Whats going to happen when they ask you to just create a method that uses a pointer? And on top of that, how are you going to know what format the file needs to be in and what restrictions there are to C files if all you ever did was work on paper? Practicing is a huge part and you can't do that with pencil and paper...

This was all in the context of CS 101 and CS 201 I took in around 2010. I don't know how they do it in higher level classes, but I imagine it'd be a combo of paper exams, labs, coding exercises and projects as well.

I used the hardware engineering example to show that it's hard to build something substantial within the span of an hour or hour and a half exam. Esp when there's lots of material to get through. There were graded coding exercises as a project (A-F scoring) or in CS Lab (more so Pass/fail). Also, there's much of CS that's more than just coding and execution. Those fundamentals would have to be tested in a certain way (MC/short answer) in lower level CS classes. The sample question you gave would be more of a project or maybe something in an upper level class's exam.

I think C and pointers were taught in Data Structures which I didn't take.

As for internships, there's a wide range of internships in tech from coding to project management to product management. You only have to know a certain level depending on which position you're aiming for. As a developer you'd probably have to know more. I got an internship in healthcare research working on mapping software programs and Access which I didn't have to know Java or C for.

This was all in the context of CS 101 and CS 201 I took in around 2010. I don't know how they do it in higher level classes, but I imagine it'd be a combo of paper exams, labs, coding exercises and projects as well.

I used the hardware engineering example to show that it's hard to build something substantial within the span of an hour or hour and a half exam. Esp when there's lots of material to get through. There were graded coding exercises as a project (A-F scoring) or in CS Lab (more so Pass/fail). Also, there's much of CS that's more than just coding and execution. Those fundamentals would have to be tested in a certain way (MC/short answer) in lower level CS classes. The sample question you gave would be more of a project or maybe something in an upper level class's exam.

I think C and pointers were taught in Data Structures which I didn't take.

As for internships, there's a wide range of internships in tech from coding to project management to product management. You only have to know a certain level depending on which position you're aiming for. As a developer you'd probably have to know more. I got an internship in healthcare research working on mapping software programs and Access which I didn't have to know Java or C for.
I am telling you this because I am a CS major lol. Stop telling me how its going to go down, I am trying to tell you how its happening now. I have a hard time believing you did object oriented programming but at the same time you say you don't know Java(but earlier you stated your CS1 and CS2 was java oriented). I also have a hard time believing you skipped over procedural programming using a low level language like C(the first thing taught is "Hello World" No CS major skips this). The sample question I posted up was actually a sample question from an exam I took in OOP. Its literally that 1 question to test you on the most BASICS. It should take like 20 minutes in total to create that program. Its not advanced at all, this is literally the easy stuff. Data structures is more math related covering sorting methods(more algorithms, yay), Big O, dynamic memory, just all the ways to handle a batch of data.
Also, I don't know why you keep telling me how you will have to do more paper exams in the future when you only took 2 courses that wasn't supposed to be on paper.
Im just going to leave. It doesn't seem like you took any CS courses if I am being honest since you seem to think the absolute basics is advanced. Owlegrad up there getting angry at us hijacking this thread, so im out.

Not sure if you were here to troll me this whole time but if you were, YOU GOT ME. HAHA, so funny....

Can we stop with all the computer science test talk please? So boring Lol
lmao sorry. I thought maybe you guys were sick of this thread talking about how bad pharmacy is. I won't say anymore CS stuff since the other guy doesn't know a thing. Carry on...

Last edited:
Not sure if you were here to troll me this whole time but if you were, YOU GOT ME. HAHA, so funny....

lmao sorry. I thought maybe you guys were sick of this thread talking about how bad pharmacy is. I won't say anymore CS stuff since the other guy doesn't know a thing. Carry on...

So much troll-baiting....

But something to take of note: Obviously the majority of us are tired of others beating a dead horse on the market, but if my memory serves me correctly (and I remember you had a lot of questions about PCAT, becoming a tech, etc etc) you were also prompted to look into the job market based on people (once again) beating a dead horse:

You know, after reading all this talk about how this field is getting extremely saturated I have become more and more apprehensive as the days go by. And everything was going well for me. Got good score on PCAT, started working as technician, making good grades in school, etc.
Now I am about to throw that all away and think about just doing a coding bootcamp and see if I can land a computer programming job but this also sounds real risky too. I just don't know what to do anymore....
View attachment 239393

im not going to lie. This is making me really depressed. I am about to make a serious change in my life if I decide I don't want to go to pharmacy school anymore....

I would argue that even though you did the research yourself, that SDN members prompted you to look more into the details of your career choice. Now, that being said, I think users need to express the reality of the career in a more formal way and in the right designated area. So congrats on finally working a month or so as a tech and hating it, but I would caution that I hope your switch from your first degree to now CS was with good intentions. Some that made the switch find it boring as hell. Yet others could say the same about being a pharmacist. To each their own.

I am telling you this because I am a CS major lol. Stop telling me how its going to go down, I am trying to tell you how its happening now. I have a hard time believing you did object oriented programming but at the same time you say you don't know Java(but earlier you stated your CS1 and CS2 was java oriented). I also have a hard time believing you skipped over procedural programming using a low level language like C(the first thing taught is "Hello World" No CS major skips this). The sample question I posted up was actually a sample question from an exam I took in OOP. Its literally that 1 question to test you on the most BASICS. It should take like 20 minutes in total to create that program. Its not advanced at all, this is literally the easy stuff. Data structures is more math related covering sorting methods(more algorithms, yay), Big O, dynamic memory, just all the ways to handle a batch of data.
Also, I don't know why you keep telling me how you will have to do more paper exams in the future when you only took 2 courses that wasn't supposed to be on paper.
Im just going to leave. It doesn't seem like you took any CS courses if I am being honest since you seem to think the absolute basics is advanced. Owlegrad up there getting angry at us hijacking this thread, so im out.

That was just my experience in the courses I took. There are also multiple instances of various CS exams being on paper including AP CS and the Oracle Java Exam. The classes I happened to take just happened to not teach C or other procedural programming languages. Actually even CS and AP CS in high school didn't teach it either. They just went over OOP.

You should know that different schools do things differently. Don’t know why you’re shocked by this.

Now back to Pharmacy related posts…

I would argue that even though you did the research yourself, that SDN members prompted you to look more into the details of your career choice. Now, that being said, I think users need to express the reality of the career in a more formal way and in the right designated area. So congrats on finally working a month or so as a tech and hating it, but I would caution that I hope your switch from your first degree to now CS was with good intentions. Some that made the switch find it boring as hell. Yet others could say the same about being a pharmacist. To each their own.
Thanks and yes, the person is still trying to bait.
For me it was easy. I either apply for pharm school or I apply to CS. CS was for a shorter time and less money with better job security. The work experience as technician was the deciding factor on whether or not I was going to stick to this profession. If the job security was better, I wouldn't have minded the stress but to me it wasn't worth it.

I wish I could get this hot and bothered about C and Java
I was more bothered by the fact that I got trolled. Bothers me I have to admit this too...

Thanks and yes, the person is still trying to bait.

If anyone is a troll it's this guy.

Everyone else doesn't know anything about CS except him, got it everyone? There is no such thing as a paper exam for CS even though I provided a YouTube video as an example, got it? Only DagS132 knows anything about CS, everyone else doesn't know anything.