Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I having been following this discussion and it sounds like ASR is a great program. However, I have a question. If one joins in MSI and decides to have a child in MSIV or in residency before the 8 years is up what happens to her status in ASR? Just thought I'd ask because for women it might be important as many of us will be in our mid twenties when we finish med school and having a child might become an issue.:)

In general, if a women in the National Guard gets pregnant she has the option of getting an honorable discharge or staying in. If you stay in, you must still go to drills (I've seen many pregnant women in uniform...you must get a special uniform which has adjustable waist bands and jacket width), but your duties will be heavily limited. I'm not sure if being on ASR will make this general rule any different but I don't know why it should.

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea why? I've only worked at companies that did January and July fiscal calendars. I wonder why you'd run an October fiscal year. It seems odd, but then again, I haven't dealt with the government much.

From Wikipedia:

The U.S. government's fiscal year begins on October 1 of the previous calendar year and ends on September 30 of the year with which it is numbered. Prior to 1976, the fiscal year began on July 1 and ended on June 30. The Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974 stipulated the change to allow Congress more time to arrive at a budget each year, and provided for what is known as the "transitional quarter" from July 1, 1976 to September 30, 1976. As stated above, the tax year for a business is governed by the fiscal year it chooses.

In general, if a women in the National Guard gets pregnant she has the option of getting an honorable discharge or staying in. If you stay in, you must still go to drills (I've seen many pregnant women in uniform...you must get a special uniform which has adjustable waist bands and jacket width), but your duties will be heavily limited. I'm not sure if being on ASR will make this general rule any different but I don't know why it should.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that women have an option. I've heard from some that it's an automatic discharge, but maybe that was way back when.... I'm not sure that I will have children anytime soon, but that was an important question that I forgot to ask and I didn't want to ask my recruiters because I've already submitted my application and passed MEPS, and I didn't want them to freak out over the question. I think my packet will go to USAREC next week according to what I've read in this discussion. I have no clue as they aren't the greatest communicators either, so I guess wish me luck? I hope to be accepted by 1 Apr.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that women have an option. I've heard from some that it's an automatic discharge, but maybe that was way back when.... I'm not sure that I will have children anytime soon, but that was an important question that I forgot to ask and I didn't want to ask my recruiters because I've already submitted my application and passed MEPS, and I didn't want them to freak out over the question. I think my packet will go to USAREC next week according to what I've read in this discussion. I have no clue as they aren't the greatest communicators either, so I guess wish me luck? I hope to be accepted by 1 Apr.

Congrats on your packet being complete. Your packet should be at USAREC now if it's made it that far. The board takes place all this week, and your recruiter should know an answer by this Friday or next Monday. The thing that could extend the process is the ice storm that hit Fort Knox, KY a week and a half ago and they were forced to close down the base for a while. I'm not sure if it's up and running yet but I figured it should be by now. My packet is at USAREC now so I hope to hear the results very soon as well.

I don't know how many spots are left, but I do know there'll probably be one fewer soon since my packet cleared USAREC today. Interview board within the week. Find me someone else who has started from square one to butterbar in about 1.5 months :)
Hopefully talking to someone in the field I'm interested in this week to see if doing this is total application suicide, as I've voiced concerns about.

Congrats on your packet being complete. Your packet should be at USAREC now if it's made it that far. The board takes place all this week, and your recruiter should know an answer by this Friday or next Monday.
Yeah, my packet has been eval'd at USAREC and is pending results. Interview a week from tomorrow.

Yeah, my packet has been eval'd at USAREC and is pending results. Interview a week from tomorrow.

Nice, I'm sure everything will go smoothly. Once I get the USAREC results I need to buy a ticket down to WV and do the state board. The board is Feb 23.

Could you elaborate on that? I'm curious in what capacity they would use you when deployed as a flight surgeon. I'd guess you wouldn't be in a forward position. Then again I'm not entirely sure what a flight surgeon does so maybe I need to get a basic education on it before I run off and become one.

Hey guys, I'm a first year flight doc in afghanistan. Did a transitional year at BAMC followed by the FS course at Rucker. The course is alot of fun, and actually kind of like a 6 week vacation from life.

I think flight surgeons getting deployed so often and so quickly is a function of the operational tempo for CAB (combat aviation brigades) right now. Normally, a flight doc's responsibilities are just to keep the guys on flight status, on flight status, plus sick call. I have the best job in world, however. My PA takes care of all the sick call and flight physicals, which has allowed me to be the medical director for the MEDEVAC detachment in our Task Force. I am flying with them everyday, which is alot of fun and allows me to take care of soldiers (and locals) who are actually sick.

I am hoping to ETS in June 2011 with civilian EM to follow, while joining my state's guard. Sounds like STRAP is something I need to look into.

Take care guys, and enjoy your time in med school!

Hey guys, I'm a first year flight doc in afghanistan. Did a transitional year at BAMC followed by the FS course at Rucker. The course is alot of fun, and actually kind of like a 6 week vacation from life.

Thanks CodeBlue!

Feel free to share your experiences anytime.

Does anyone know when or if we are eligible for a VA home loan? As I start the residency process, it'd be great to buy a home with a VA loan.

Does anyone know when or if we are eligible for a VA home loan? As I start the residency process, it'd be great to buy a home with a VA loan.

You need to have completed six years of honorable duty in the NG before being eligible for a VA home loan.

You need to have completed six years of honorable duty in the NG before being eligible for a VA home loan.
I'd check on this. The 6 years is for those who haven't been activated. If you have been activated for 90 days of "continuous federal active duty service (title 10)", you are also eligible.

Is ASR title 10?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd check on this. The 6 years is for those who haven't been activated. If you have been activated for 90 days of "continuous federal active duty service (title 10)", you are also eligible.

Is ASR title 10?

I just checked my previous ADSW orders (longer than 31 days) and I was placed on Title 32. Title 10 is for AGR (Active Guard/Reserve), which is different from ADSW...even then they are often placed on Title 10/32 orders because they work for both federal and state, even though they work mainly in 1 particular state. ADSW is state funded, therefore it has to be Title 32, unless I missed something, which wouldn't surprise me :D

ADSW is state funded, therefore it has to be Title 32, unless I missed something, which wouldn't surprise me :D
No, I think you're right. I just spent the last half hour digging through PDF'd memo's and whatnot and saw one setting up the ASR program that specifically mentioned we'd be Title 32.

Bummer. That home loan would have been nice. My wife and I are going to wait another two years to buy, when we find out where I'll be doing residency. But I don't think we'll be waiting 6 years...

darn!

Yea, that throws a kink in my plans to buy a house on the VA plan in 3 years. Looks like it will be post residency.

Congrats on your packet being complete. Your packet should be at USAREC now if it's made it that far. The board takes place all this week, and your recruiter should know an answer by this Friday or next Monday. The thing that could extend the process is the ice storm that hit Fort Knox, KY a week and a half ago and they were forced to close down the base for a while. I'm not sure if it's up and running yet but I figured it should be by now. My packet is at USAREC now so I hope to hear the results very soon as well.

I e-mailed my recruiter to see where I am in the process, turns out I didn't make this board. There were some issues with my packet that needed to be fixed, though I'm not sure what they were. Do you know when the next USAREC board will be? Does this mean that an 1 Apr start date is out of the question?:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
I e-mailed my recruiter to see where I am in the process, turns out I didn't make this board. There were some issues with my packet that needed to be fixed, though I'm not sure what they were. Do you know when the next USAREC board will be? Does this mean that an 1 Apr start date is out of the question?:confused::confused::confused:

I know that the board meets once a month, and most likely your packet will get reviewed in March if everything is good to go. Your recruiter has to give you a control number for ASR once you get accepted by USAREC, so I'm not sure if that's enough time for them before April 1st. If not then you will start on July 1st. You're best bet would be to find out what's wrong with your packet and what you can do to fix it.

I e-mailed my recruiter to see where I am in the process, turns out I didn't make this board. There were some issues with my packet that needed to be fixed, though I'm not sure what they were.
From what I've heard from recruiters, this is more the norm than the exception.
I know that the board meets once a month, and most likely your packet will get reviewed in March if everything is good to go. Your recruiter has to give you a control number for ASR once you get accepted by USAREC, so I'm not sure if that's enough time for them before April 1st.
I was told by my recruiter that there's a 1 MAR deadline for getting on 1 APR ASR pay.

I was told by my recruiter that there's a 1 MAR deadline for getting on 1 APR ASR pay.

Okaay!! Well, I'll find out tomorrow what the problem is and 1 MAR is only a few weeks away, so maybe 1 APR is a long shot, but we'll see what happens.:rolleyes:

I'm have turned in my packet for ASR and have been reading this forum throughout the application process. I wanted to get some feedback on something that has probably already been discussed, but here it is. I am starting the ASR program when I start med school this fall as an MS1 (even though i'm applying now for ASR). Therefore, I will have 4 years in the guard during med school and depending on the residency, probably 4 years during residency (depending on what specialty I do ofcourse). So correct me if i'm wrong, but I will have completed my 8 year MSO at the end of residency, at which point i have the option to stay on with the guard or be finished, depending ofcourse if i take the "incentives" or not? I wanted to get some of your take on this? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything in the fine print, which most of you have signed? No clause about x amount of time boots on the ground, "after residency" or time added if X? thanks for your input and the forum has been very helpful. ASR seems like a great opportunity thus far.

I'm have turned in my packet for ASR and have been reading this forum throughout the application process. I wanted to get some feedback on something that has probably already been discussed, but here it is. I am starting the ASR program when I start med school this fall as an MS1 (even though i'm applying now for ASR). Therefore, I will have 4 years in the guard during med school and depending on the residency, probably 4 years during residency (depending on what specialty I do ofcourse). So correct me if i'm wrong, but I will have completed my 8 year MSO at the end of residency, at which point i have the option to stay on with the guard or be finished, depending ofcourse if i take the "incentives" or not? I wanted to get some of your take on this? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything in the fine print, which most of you have signed? No clause about x amount of time boots on the ground, "after residency" or time added if X? thanks for your input and the forum has been very helpful. ASR seems like a great opportunity thus far.

You're correct. If all you do if ASR and you don't take MDSSP or STRAP, then you can get out of the National Guard at the end of your 8th year.

Ok thanks. Just want to make sure i'm not missing anything. But def plan to read the "fine print" on signing day soon. Just want to make sure i'm not obligating myself for more than i'm aware of. Ofcourse, down the road i may decide to stay on with the guard, but right now i need to know what the options are. Also, I've read a lot about flight surgeon/GMO stuff on here lately and I wanted to verify that in the ASR program we can choose any specialty we want (such as anesthesia), even if thats not recommended from the army? Also the recruiter told me that the "current policy" is not to get deployed during residency and after residency you get potentially deployed 90 days per 3 years, but i've read here its 90 days boots on the ground + x amount of days for training period per 18 months? If you don't get deployed during residency and you finish your 8 year MSO during residency (like i discussed in the last post), then whats the chances of them still trying to get you to deploy right after residency? I know kind of redundant, but want to make sure i've got it straight. Also, once again I'm aware that deploying is possible and serving my country is part of the deal and is something i don't take for granted, but I want to see whats on the table before i go in. thanks.

Okaay!! Well, I'll find out tomorrow what the problem is and 1 MAR is only a few weeks away, so maybe 1 APR is a long shot, but we'll see what happens.:rolleyes:
Long shots do happen. Mr. Freeze pulled it off in an insane 1.5 months. Your mileage may vary. Just stay on top of your recruiter to make sure things move along.

Also, I've read a lot about flight surgeon/GMO stuff on here lately and I wanted to verify that in the ASR program we can choose any specialty we want (such as anesthesia), even if thats not recommended from the army?
The concern about lack of control over specialty or straight-through training was the big turn off for HPSP for me. Under ASR, you can do a residency in literally any specialty you choose. Most residencies will be recognized by the National Guard. Worst case scenario is that if you do a residency that the Guard does not have a slot for (think things like Child Psych or other uber-specialized fields), you will be transferred to the Army Reserves.
Also the recruiter told me that the "current policy" is not to get deployed during residency and after residency you get potentially deployed 90 days per 3 years, but i've read here its 90 days boots on the ground + x amount of days for training period per 18 months?
I have heard only the 90 days boots-in-sand every 18 or so months. It's definitely a faster tempo than every three years, though 18 months may be off by a few months. Outside of the 90 days is up to, but not in excess of, 30 more days for deployment and debriefing, so figure 120 days max away from your day job per deployment. Again, that's at current tempo. In another 8 years it could quiet down or get louder. Though I don't know a time that NG folks have been deployed at as heavy a rate as they have now.
If you don't get deployed during residency and you finish your 8 year MSO during residency (like i discussed in the last post), then whats the chances of them still trying to get you to deploy right after residency?
If you have fulfilled your 8 year MSO during residency, you can resign your commission. Technically, you could be stop-lossed, but I wouldn't worry about that unless things get a whole lot hot-and-heavier than they are now. I don't know examples of physicians who've been stop-lossed.
I know kind of redundant, but want to make sure i've got it straight. Also, once again I'm aware that deploying is possible and serving my country is part of the deal and is something i don't take for granted, but I want to see whats on the table before i go in. thanks.
You're approaching this the right way. Get all the facts on the table and make an educated decision. Never join the Guard if you're completely allergic to the idea of a deployment, but know the odds for what they are.

It's a lot easier for enlisted people (like myself currently) to get out of the military because we have what's called an ETS date... Enlisted Termination of Service. Mine is 12/27/2013 right now. Basically if I don't reinlist by then, then I'm out of the military. Officers don't really have an exit date per say. Once you reach you 8 year MSO you can put it a request to resign your commission. That request goes in front of a military committee board (usually officers who are higher ranking than you are) and based on your reasons they will either accept or decline your request. No one will stop you from putting in a request, but they can deny your request.

Also, I'm sure that it is more common for non-physicians to be denied than physicians.They will probably take into account that you work as a physician on the civilian side and it can be difficult to balance the Army in with that. They might also not care about any of that and deny you because the military really needs physicians.. Just don't go into it thinking that you will be out in 8 years, you might have to hang around a little longer than that. I'm not sure if there are memorandums out yet that lets officers out after 8 years with out any questions, but possibly.

Who knows, 8 years from now the rules can change and maybe officers will have an 'OTS' (Officer Termination of Service) date or something lol.

Gentlemen, thanks for your responses, they were very helpful. I will post more if they come about and I will post when I finish the ASR sign up process, right now its a waiting game and I should be sworn in around Apr 1. But since i'm going to be a ms1 this fall (grad student now), then I won't officially start getting ASR pay until sept or oct. Good luck to the rest of you.

Gentlemen, thanks for your responses, they were very helpful. I will post more if they come about and I will post when I finish the ASR sign up process, right now its a waiting game and I should be sworn in around Apr 1. But since i'm going to be a ms1 this fall (grad student now), then I won't officially start getting ASR pay until sept or oct. Good luck to the rest of you.

If you get sworn in around April 1st, then you recruiter can put in your ASR packet in and start getting you paid starting July 1st. You can get ASR payment before you even start school. Mine is trying to get me paid starting April 1st, and he said he'll have me doing some recruiting locally until I actually move down to WV.

I was told by my recruiter today that the problem with my packet is that I am in a dual degree program and the ?computer? wouldn't clear me and that the next USAREC board is 9 MAR? So it's looking like a 1 JUL start date. DARN!!! But I ask about doing OBLC in JUN and they think that I can still do it, so I'm not sure how this will work out, if I won't be official until JUN/JUL. Any thoughts on this?

I was told by my recruiter today that the problem with my packet is that I am in a dual degree program and the ?computer? wouldn't clear me and that the next USAREC board is 9 MAR?
I've heard that there are all sorts of weird glitches that will get your packet kicked back. Some apparently go through multiple iterations. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
So it's looking like a 1 JUL start date. DARN!!! But I ask about doing OBLC in JUN and they think that I can still do it, so I'm not sure how this will work out, if I won't be official until JUN/JUL. Any thoughts on this?
If your USAREC board is 9 MAR, and you have a state interview not long after, you could swear in in March or April. I guess it makes sense that they can send you to OBLC after you are sworn in Guard, but not yet on ASR. What would be nice, is if you went in June, you'd get O-1 full-time pay for the month of June, but it wouldn't come out of your 36 months of ASR. Not too shabby.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, your 8 year MSO countdown starts from when you're commissioned, not from when ASR starts. Also not shabby.

I've heard that there are all sorts of weird glitches that will get your packet kicked back. Some apparently go through multiple iterations. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

If your USAREC board is 9 MAR, and you have a state interview not long after, you could swear in in March or April. I guess it makes sense that they can send you to OBLC after you are sworn in Guard, but not yet on ASR. What would be nice, is if you went in June, you'd get O-1 full-time pay for the month of June, but it wouldn't come out of your 36 months of ASR. Not too shabby.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, your 8 year MSO countdown starts from when you're commissioned, not from when ASR starts. Also not shabby.

Great!!! I really hope it works out this way. They did tell me that I could be sworn into the guard and go to OBLC, but they didn't enlighten me on the rest. You are a great resource of info, where did you learn all of this stuff, are you prior military?

Great!!! I really hope it works out this way. They did tell me that I could be sworn into the guard and go to OBLC, but they didn't enlighten me on the rest. You are a great resource of info, where did you learn all of this stuff, are you prior military?
Nope, not prior. But I'm the type to research things to death before committing. I was blessed with an incredibly well recruiter at the start that patiently answered the million + 1 questions I had. Since then, while being in the pipeline, I've tried to learn more about the program so I can be of better use to my local recruiter.

Just want to verify a couple things. Once you swear into the NG, your MSO starts counting down, regardless of when you start ASR. Once you start ASR is when you start getting paid full time though. That's when your 3 year of ASR countdown begins.

Just want to verify a couple things. Once you swear into the NG, your MSO starts counting down, regardless of when you start ASR. Once you start ASR is when you start getting paid full time though. That's when your 3 year of ASR countdown begins.

I talked to my AMEDD recruiter this week. she said my packet was going down to USAREC but there was somethign about an ice storm. Once this is done, then I have the interview? I am not sure of the entire process, but in any event, I was trying to get an idea of how things would shake out timeline wise. she told me that although I could get sworn in April / May, etc....the fact that I do not start school officially until july 27th, (which is after July 1st) then I would not start getting paid until October, because they will only start you once a quarter...........Can anyone verify this that is currently getting paid through ASR?

I know this is hard because it is a new program, but given all the attention this program has received, the answers to these questions should not be so murky.........to those of us with mortgages and kids (and wives), these details are important.........on a side note....I am joining the military and med school within a couple months of each other. WOW.

I talked to my AMEDD recruiter this week. she said my packet was going down to USAREC but there was somethign about an ice storm. Once this is done, then I have the interview? I am not sure of the entire process, but in any event, I was trying to get an idea of how things would shake out timeline wise. she told me that although I could get sworn in April / May, etc....the fact that I do not start school officially until july 27th, (which is after July 1st) then I would not start getting paid until October, because they will only start you once a quarter...........Can anyone verify this that is currently getting paid through ASR?

I know this is hard because it is a new program, but given all the attention this program has received, the answers to these questions should not be so murky.........to those of us with mortgages and kids (and wives), these details are important.........on a side note....I am joining the military and med school within a couple months of each other. WOW.

I am working with a guy now who knows a lot about ASR, and yes, you can start ASR before you start med school. Recruiters do not know everything. As said before, ASR starts four times a year. Theoretically you could start getting paid July 1st.

I am working with a guy now who knows a lot about ASR, and yes, you can start ASR before you start med school. Recruiters do not know everything. As said before, ASR starts four times a year. Theoretically you could start getting paid July 1st.

Wouldn't it be better to swear-in around... say... February before M1 and start ticking off time in service, then start ASR right beginning M2 around the time you get promoted to O-2? I feel like there's about $10k to be made there.

The crux of the matter is that one should not necessarily be in a hurry to get on ADSW as long as you have more than 3 years left.

I'm trying to fill out my FAFSA and have a question that I think can be answered here quicker than waiting until Tuesday to talk to my recruiter. Are our orders title 10 or title 32? As I understand it title 10 means federal activation and title 32 means state activation. From looking at my orders it looks like title 10. The reason I ask is in filling out my FAFSA there is question #51: Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training.

The help file says:
Select Yes if you are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces or are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee who is on active duty for other than state or training purposes.

Select No if you are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee who is on active duty for state or training purposes.

Anyone have any guidance or know how this might affect your FAFSA?

I'm trying to fill out my FAFSA and have a question that I think can be answered here quicker than waiting until Tuesday to talk to my recruiter. Are our orders title 10 or title 32? As I understand it title 10 means federal activation and title 32 means state activation. From looking at my orders it looks like title 10.
According to the ASR memo I have (Subject: AMEDD Student Recruiter Program (ASR) dated 24 April 2008), number 4:

"Effective 1 July 2008 all States/Territories are authorized to place newly accessed medical/dental/physician assistant students, coded as 00E67 (MS/MC), 00E67 (MS/DC), and 70B (MS) physician assistant students, on Title 32 ADOS orders for recruiting and retention, student liaison officer purposes for up to 1094 days or the completion of their medical, dental school or masters level physician assistant education, subject to availability of funds."

It's a bummer, as if we were title 10, we'd be eligible for veteran benefits we won't be by being title 32.
Anyone have any guidance or know how this might affect your FAFSA?
I have no idea what 10 vs 32 will do, but the ASR money will increase your EFC. The net of this is although the more money you make through ASR won't affect your maximum loan amount, it will reduce how much of that loan is subsidized and increase the amount of the loan that will be unsubsidized.

Wouldn't it be better to swear-in around... say... February before M1 and start ticking off time in service, then start ASR right beginning M2 around the time you get promoted to O-2? I feel like there's about $10k to be made there.:sleep:
The crux of the matter is that one should not necessarily be in a hurry to get on ADSW as long as you have more than 3 years left.

Yes you could join the NG, get some 'Time in Rank' (you need 18 months as an O1 before going to O2...consindering you've done OBLC), and then join ASR. However, I don't know if they will let you...usually people join because they want to start a program like ASR. But initially when you join and your packet goes through USAREC (the important board), they don't know yet that you will be part of ASR because the ASR packet is done once you are in the NG. However, if you don't start ASR soon, you will be placed into a unit and have to start drilling. I'm sure it will be hard to go to drills during your first year of med school as the work load is rediculous.

Yes you could join the NG, get some 'Time in Rank' (you need 18 months as an O1 before going to O2...consindering you've done OBLC), and then join ASR. However, I don't know if they will let you...usually people join because they want to start a program like ASR. But initially when you join and your packet goes through USAREC (the important board), they don't know yet that you will be part of ASR because the ASR packet is done once you are in the NG. However, if you don't start ASR soon, you will be placed into a unit and have to start drilling. I'm sure it will be hard to go to drills during your first year of med school as the work load is rediculous.

Drilling during MSI and II will not be hard at all. Couldn't remember if you were in school or not yet. But it wouldn't be hard. I would wonder of what utility you would be to a unit though.

Yeah, having a good recruiter and staying on them is key to speeding this deal up, but I wouldn't make any big purchases thinking that you'll get paid any day now. That said, I did put a Kimber pistol on layaway! :soexcited::clap::highfive:

Drilling during MSI and II will not be hard at all. Couldn't remember if you were in school or not yet. But it wouldn't be hard.
I disagree. I think it depends on the learner and depends on the school.

There's no way I could have carved out one scheduled weekend a month in my first year of med school without it impacting my grades.

I'd strongly recommend that folks not commit to any program that involves losing a full weekend a month until they're at least a semester in to med school and can see if it's a sacrifice they can make.

Serving in the National Guard is a great thing, but not at the expense of your performance in med school. Too much rides on it.

I agree it depends, but having two kids and a wife, something that only requires a monthly commitment sounds a lot easier! Which makes me wonder, why is drilling during school even coming up? Is the nonASR fourth year for people who take it prior to strting school required to be in a drilling capacity? I was kinda curious if it would be better for people to wait until msii to take it. I dunno. In all honesty, I don't see it lasting very long at all, once they get the physician numbers bolstered again. So I dunno if I would wait.

Which makes me wonder, why is drilling during school even coming up?
It was brought up in the context of joining the Guard for MS I before taking ASR MS II. Bad idea. Until you've been to med school, you'll have no idea of how well you'll manage your time. Wait and see. Indigestion kills a lot more med students than starvation.

It was brought up in the context of joining the Guard for MS I before taking ASR MS II. Bad idea. Until you've been to med school, you'll have no idea of how well you'll manage your time. Wait and see. Indigestion kills a lot more med students than starvation.

Which is a bad idea, joining before MS I or not taking ASR?

I was just speaking hypothetically, because everybody seems to be very concerned about how quickly their packet gets processed, but in fact every month it is delayed is theoretically another month you get paid at O-2 instead of O-1.

Which is a bad idea, joining before MS I or not taking ASR?
Being in the National Guard for any length of time prior to ASR, imho, is a bad idea.

If you're in the National Guard for a year before taking the scholarship, you'll be drilling monthly. I think it's bad for anyone to make that kind of commitment before starting medical school. For many/most students, a weekend removed from their schedule at times beyond their control could be very academically costly. One drilling weekend before a big test could cripple your particular score for a course. It won't impact some, but for most of us, you'll feel the pinch.

I was just speaking hypothetically, because everybody seems to be very concerned about how quickly their packet gets processed, but in fact every month it is delayed is theoretically another month you get paid at O-2 instead of O-1.
I think you might be confused (if it's me, not you, my apologies).

Your packet gets processed to get you in to the Guard as an officer. Folks who have been waiting 4-8 months on their packet getting fully processed are doing so before swearing in. Once your packet is approved, you can have your local interview and swear in on the spot. As long as you swear in and your recruiter gets moving on a control number one calendar month before the start of the next ASR pay cycle (Apr/Jul/Oct/Jan), you're good to go. The long delays occur pre-commissioning.

Make sense?

OK, everyone seems to know their way around the ASR program really. well. (esp. notdeadyet, amindwalker, freeze, and others....do not get offended if I left you out) In any event, here is my updated situation.

I applied to AFHPSP before even knew ASR program existed. Applied to ASR afterwards, and packet should be at or near USAREC. Found out today that I was declined for AFHPSP! The reason was nebulous, but I think it has to do with two Fs I got while getting my MBA....long story but my son got very ill and was in the hoispital during the finals of these classes. I got a transcript that said they were incompletes and focused on taking care of my son and put the MBA on hold.....well, a year and a hlaf go by, son still in & out of hospital changed my life, so I forget about MBA and take prereqs, apply and get into med school......so, dont know if all that makes sense but..........................my question is do you guys think the Fs will make this huge difference and get me excluded from ASR? My AF recruiter did mention them, and so did the maj. that interviewed me and both were satisfied with my answer (did not even know the Fs existed until igot transcripts for med school app!)

So, simply, what do you guys think the likelihood of me getting dumped from ASR? And, if this is a big deal, any thoughts? (I told the Af recuiter if I would have known this in January, I would have taken the damn classes again and aced them like I did all the other MBS classes I took......) I know it is the military, but are they really this myopic, or is this just an AF thing?

thanks, in advance

I think you definitely have a good shot at ASR, but noone can know for sure. I'm surprised you got denied from AF HPSP. If your grades were satisfactory enough to get into med school, then that should be enough. Maybe you can submit a brief statement along with your ASR paperwork explaining your situation or atleast have one typed up if they kick the app back. Good luck, I have faith you will get in.