Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will give you my answer and I am sure notdeadyet or someone else will probably weigh in...

Thanks for the reply. I read those posts and I just wanted to make sure I understand this.

good idea - ask until you understand

The contract signed is universal. It's the policy memo that puts your protection in writing. Is this signed by both parties?

unfortunately, we dont actually sign policy memos and they can theoretically change at any time - of note (which doesn't apply to you) there has been a recent change to the MDSSP repayment scheme - this would apply to anyone who has not taken MDSSP as of yet - however those who have signed into the program will still be covered by the terms of that contract (the contract of the MDSSP program)

You have signed a document stating a full desire to serve basically in any capacity. What protections do you have against them changing the policies? .

None - no protections

after your intern year it is policy memos that protect you - yes these CAN change but it seems that this is UNLIKELY that they will

1. as stressed many times - you will become a soldier and thats that
2. HOWEVER - if they do change the policy (which would have to be under extreme duress I imagine) - that would greatly harm the future recruitment of med students and would be an unlikely change - but a possible one

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, this thread seems like an incredible wealth of information, but where do I begin to start? The very beginning seems like it might be outdated, and recent posts don't seem to apply to what I'm looking up.

I was in your shoes not too long ago - a few pointers:

1. talk to your recruiter -
2. find ASRs in your future school as well as other ARNG members in your school as ask many questions
3. get the policy memos and read them
4. read this thread - you can try and start to read them in reverse
5. feel free to post

I don't want to make an entire career out of the national guard, either.

you mention you dont want to make a career out of national guard - just FYI if you take both MDSSP (4 years owed) and STRAP (8 years owed on a 4 year residency) you are looking at 12 years with the guard after med school - also dont forget HPLRP which is a great perk and special pay would also add more years as well... just keep in mind that whatever you take you will owe years for (another perk is retirement pay)

What would drilling be like for the years I owe if I did STRAP and MDSSP? Sorry if this post is very out of place.

I have been trying to fully understand this as well - ask your recruiter for contact info from guard attendings in your area if they are will to share - also you can read this post where i asked the same question and 7 year guard PA-C (who is now a med student) weighed in : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=831565

Last edited:
So if you sign up with the military for a program and then it changes the policy memo you do not get grandfathered in on what you signed up for?

eg: STRAP changes and requires a 2.5:1 payback and requires that you must drill every month with a two week AT. I just would not be able to do that literally.

eg: They determine ASR isn't a good program and cancel it. You signed a contract stating you will serve and any capacity and the ASR is just a policy memo you signed up for? You must actively drill, you lose the stipend, and you become deployable?

The MDSSP or HPSP are actual contracts? In other words both parties sign this contract and not the one for "all officers" and it assures them their package?

Is there any way to get protection from someone higher up then the recruiter on the back end if the program changes like 5 years from now. I did the whole process and am going to board with a similar program for reserves. The only thing I want is literally what the program states.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if you sign up with the military for a program and then it changes the policy memo you do not get grandfathered in on what you signed up for?

sorry that i was not more clear on this - the example of MDSSP was to show that when you sign up for a program then you WILL BE grandfathered in. What I was trying to say is, in your case for example as a resident lets say to sign for STRAP at 2:1 - then you will be grandfathered if anything changes. However if HPLRP which is currently 240K now changes to 10K before you sign then all you can join HPLRP for is 10K even though you joined the guard when it was 240k.

eg: STRAP changes and requires a 2.5:1 payback and requires that you must drill every month with a two week AT. I just would not be able to do that literally.

FYI - STRAP does require the monthly drills as is - what covers you for not drilling is Flexi-train option - this to my knowledge can change and is CO dependent (i.e. you may do a residency in location A where the CO is OK will Flexi-train and a fellowship in location B where the CO wants you every month). Some flex-train locations dont have you drill at all, some require once per quarter, and some still require monthly but will allow excuses if need be - you will need to find out what the CO agrees to in your future base.

eg: They determine ASR isn't a good program and cancel it. You signed a contract stating you will serve and any capacity and the ASR is just a policy memo you signed up for? You must actively drill, you lose the stipend, and you become deployable?

they did close the ASR program actually so there will not be anymore but whoever signed before that is grandfathered in

The MDSSP or HPSP are actual contracts? In other words both parties sign this contract and not the one for "all officers" and it assures them their package?

If you read over the last 2-3 pages of this thread we actually discussed the MDSSP contract and how you will be grandfathered based on the wording of your contract, so those who joined before the change will not be affected. I believe most of the other offers do have contracts as well to my knowledge.

Is there any way to get protection from someone higher up then the recruiter on the back end if the program changes like 5 years from now. I did the whole process and am going to board with a similar program for reserves. The only thing I want is literally what the program states.

Not sure and depends what program you are referring to. If you sign STRAP now you will be covered for the 2:1 - however you will not be guaranteed HPLRP as I mentioned above. Also I do believe that flexi training again is very CO dependent so even if your CO is fine with it now but you get a new CO in one month from now I think he can change that deal.

I will ask the all knowing notdeadyet to weigh in on this: "Is there any way to get protection from someone higher up then the recruiter on the back end if the program" - because I do not know.

Hope I helped and did not confuse!

I was in your shoes not too long ago - a few pointers:

1. talk to your recruiter -
2. find ASRs in your future school as well as other ARNG members in your school as ask many questions
3. get the policy memos and read them
4. read this thread - you can try and start to read them in reverse
5. feel free to post

Where do I get a hold of these 'policy memos'?

The contract signed is universal. It's the policy memo that puts your protection in writing. Is this signed by both parties?
No, that would be a contract that is legally binding. A policy memo is just that: a memory from Department of Army or DoD that dictates policy. It can be changed at any time.

If you look at policies and try to gauge whether they'll be changed, the best thing to do is look at precedence. Here are some of what I consider the important ones:

Not getting pulled from residency- This is a big fear, particularly as the military has a tradition of not allowing residents to train straight through and having interns provide care (see the GMO). This was a huge concern of mine prior to joining. But as much research as I did and as many people as I talked to, I couldn't find a single example of a reservist or Guardsman resident being activated against their will.

$250K HPLRP
- I think this is a huge incentive for joining. But personally, if it were the only reason I was joining, I'd wait until near the end of residency and see if it was still available. I haven't ever seen the HPLRP drop in amount, which is a great thing, but with money being so tight in the government, I wouldn't be shocked if it did. A better way to deal with it would be to start dropping specialties off of the critical warfare shortage list.

90 Day Boots-on-Ground- The reason this came about is that the Guard and Reserve was losing a LOT of docs from long deployments, so they found via surveys and research that 90 days overseas was about the sweetspot. This could definitely change if we enter a new and overly taxing war. But I'm not too worried because with all of the setbacks the country has endured from fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan simultaneously, I don't see the U.S. queuing up to fight in another large engagement any time soon.

Could this all change if we're dragged into WW III? Absolutely. Doctors could get pullled from residency and activated as GMO's and deployments could be 6 months or a year. My attitude is that if I wouldn't be willing to make that sacrifice for something like a true WW III, I have no business raising my hand and being commissioned.

Hope this helps. I've been somewhat mum on this thread for the week because frankly infirmarydude has been giving great advice and I have nothing really to add.
I am a resident and I want to serve just a deployment or forced drilling would be an utter disaster in a program like this one, especially a deployment.
You need to give it careful thought. In my state, residents are expected to drill unless you have a great excuse, and they expect you to notify your residency program and request drill weekends off (obviously scheduling you on other weekends to compensate). It's not the greatest feeling, being the special kid, but some places expect you to do this. Other states are more lax and you can just come in once every three months.

I haven't seen a case of this happening. They cancel programs, but they do so by stopping enrollments. They also change programs, but it's for folks who haven't yet signed.
Your payback is established when you sign for the program. Changes like you're talking about would only affect those who haven't signed. They just changed MDSSP policy and it only affects those who haven't taken it.
No. They canceled the ASR program and are not taking new applicants. Those still in it continue on as if nothing happened. The ASR program specifically states that if monies are canceled for it, all obligation is wiped and medical students can freely leave military service.
I never signed up for either. I'd defer that to the folks who have.
When I was helping people join the Guard, lots of medical students asked this. The best I could do was introduce them to high-ranking AMEDD folks in the National Guard to sit and talk with them. No one's going to sign anything for you, though.

I understand your nervousness and I think we all go through it before joining. Some choose not to join because of that nervousness. At the end of the day, there is a certain leap-of-faith taken when joining.

My only advice is that I personally wouldn't worry about the military violating the terms and conditions of programs you take, because I haven't seen evidence of it happening and we've been through some very taxing years in AMEDD in which if they were going to, I think they would have. That said, with the economy and funding the way it is, I'd think long and hard about joining in the hopes of a benefit or program being available four years down the line, because that's not guaranteed and I'm uncomfortable reading tea leaves.

Hey all,
I just finished my first year of school and am starting the progress of joining the ANG. I did have a few questions for anyone who knows the answers.

1. I am overweight as of now. I have been dieting and running etc. and am losing the pounds as quick as possible. I have looked at all the H/W charts and understand the cut offs, but everything I keep reading says that they just flag you or reevaluate you, its not a end all if you are not at the standard. I was curious if anyone knows about this. I am 6 feet tall, 27yrs old and it says my max is 194, which I have not been since before I played football in high school. My goal is 220, which is quickly approaching. Thoughts? I have a good friend who is an officer in the navy and he is "over weight" per those standards so I know they work with you.

2. Can anyone give any insight on what OBLCis like. I have looked all over and cannot seem to find anything. Some sights say its 14 days and others 26 days.

3. Anyone out there have any a situation like mine and what did you do to overcome?

4. In all honesty, what do yall think about the National Guard? If you had to do it all over, would you do it again?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Notdeadyet.. Thanks for the shout out, I'm trying to answer what I can so you can focus on your upcoming intern year. I got most of my info from this forum and try not to answer things I don't know.

Hey all,
I just finished my first year of school and am starting the progress of joining the ANG. I did have a few questions for anyone who knows the answers.

Congrats on finishing 1st year

1. I am overweight as of now. I have been dieting and running etc. and am losing the pounds as quick as possible. I have looked at all the H/W charts and understand the cut offs, but everything I keep reading says that they just flag you or reevaluate you, its not a end all if you are not at the standard. I was curious if anyone knows about this. I am 6 feet tall, 27yrs old and it says my max is 194, which I have not been since before I played football in high school. My goal is 220, which is quickly approaching. Thoughts? I have a good friend who is an officer in the navy and he is "over weight" per those standards so I know they work with you.

This one is for someone else, sorry.

2. Can anyone give any insight on what OBLCis like. I have looked all over and cannot seem to find anything. Some sights say its 14 days and others 26 days.

Both are right at the time they were written. OBLC was 14 days but is now 26 days. Normally done during summer bt 1st and 2nd year which you will not make but there will be time for this later as well

3. Anyone out there have any a situation like mine and what did you do to overcome?

Sorry no

4. In all honesty, what do yall think about the National Guard? If you had to do it all over, would you do it again?

Can't say yet but I am joining because I want to join and not for the money so I'm hoping I will like it.

Best advice I have now is do research and start by reading through the last 3-4 pages of this thread most of your questions will be answered this way. I gave advice above about getting input from guardsmen in your school as well as local attendings in the guard.

Read this thread and search the military forum for more info. And feel free to ask

Good luck

Hey Leon:
Congrats on finishing MS1. It's a tough one. By the way, ANG = Air National Guard, a branch of the Air Force. If you're referring to Army National Guard, it's abbreviated ARNG. Just a heads up.
I have looked at all the H/W charts and understand the cut offs, but everything I keep reading says that they just flag you or reevaluate you, its not a end all if you are not at the standard.
That's not the tune the Army is singing. They've been pretty up front with us that the only way sure way to get kicked out of the Army is pi$$ing positive on a a drug test and failing height/weight. The Army has really been gung ho about this lately.

If you fail height weight, you typically have 3 months until you try again. If you fail height weight, you have another 3 months until you try again, then they can process you out if they want. To be honest, I know a couple of folks who failed height/weight and their record for that one was "lost" until they did it a second time so that it wouldn't show. So there's a little flexibility, but you can't expect to stay in the Army without passing your height/weight.
I am 6 feet tall, 27yrs old and it says my max is 194, which I have not been since before I played football in high school. My goal is 220, which is quickly approaching. Thoughts?
Here's a couple of thoughts:
If you're having trouble making it down to 194 because you're a muscular guy from all that football, you're in good shape. If you don't make height/weight, they do a tape test around your neck and gut (you can view the standards online if you look for it, there's even an iphone app). But if you're having trouble making weight because of fat, it's going to be a problem.
As part of your commissioning process, you need to go to MEPS, where they do a physical on you. If you don't pass height/weight (or the tape test), you won't swear in. There are no exceptions. You can get profiles for the APFT fitness test and all that stuff, but not for height/weight.
It's 26 days. It's not hard if you're in even basically good physical shape. Good training if you have no military background. Lots of death by powerpoint, but some fun time in the woods and on the range.
I had trouble making weight on my first weigh in. I also had a tough time passing my first APFT. I just worked out and lost the weight and got into shape.

It's easier than you think because you don't have any other options. You need to do it to join, and then you need to do it to stay. You do not want to be the person who has to check "General Discharge" on your employment records and have to explain you didn't get out Honorable because you were overweight. Embarrassing.

It's going to all come down to "how bad do you want it?" The height/weight restrictions are not very restrictive. If you're less than, say 28% body fat, you'll probably be okay.
I've been in about 2-1/2 years and I like it. I get to work with great people and serve a good cause. But it's a lot of work and it does put restrictions on your life you need to be willing to accommodate or it's not worth it.

Take care and best of luck with your decision...

I was wondering if anyone could give a little more information about what you actually DO once your in the guard (during med school and residency).

I just started my second year and I am wondering what exactly I would be doing during drill? Also - what do you guys normally do for the 2 weeks a year (or every other year) thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone could give a little more information about what you actually DO once your in the guard (during med school and residency).

I just started my second year and I am wondering what exactly I would be doing during drill? Also - what do you guys normally do for the 2 weeks a year (or every other year) thing?

great question - been trying to figure this out for a while myself.

a majority of responders on this forum are ASR which would be slightly different than what non ASR would do (for example their drill weekends involve lots of paper work, they are required to wear uniform to school three days a week etc.) - for non-ASR who are on flexi train would be required to go to drill one weekend every three months. from what i have been told (i have not personally experienced yet) its spent mostly looking busy and not doing too much.

i am not sure how the 2 week AT works exactly

I noticed you are from TX - there is another ARNG member - deadcactus - on this forum from texas who said he is not even required to drill at all ever - so he basically does nothing.

try to talk to guard members in your school

During medical school, it's going to vary a lot by state and command. As a medical student, you are literally the lowest of the low. You're an O-1 with absolutely no qualification to do do anything. Most states, medical students either don't drill (or in some states they come in during drill weekend and study) or they come in and either try to look busy or are allocated some admin-y tasks.

During residency, this is also going to vary by command and what slot you fulfill. You do not practice medicine when unlicensed, but you can still be assigned a medical role. You may be allocated to a higher level slot and given actual program responsibility. It depends a lot.
Also - what do you guys normally do for the 2 weeks a year (or every other year) thing?
I'm probably a bad person to answer that. I was an ASR and since we were technically active while in the program, we were exempt from the 2 week AT. Not sure how folks in MDSSP do it, but I'll bet it's waived.

[ASRs] are required to wear uniform to school three days a week etc.)
Really? I don't know anyone who had to do that. Though I'm sure there's some CO somewhere who asked people to do that. New to me though.
try to talk to guard members in your school
Good advice. Even better is to ask the recruiter to put you in touch with some people on MDSSP so you can find out exactly what those kids do in your state.

I'm probably a bad person to answer that. I was an ASR and since we were technically active while in the program, we were exempt from the 2 week AT. Not sure how folks in MDSSP do it, but I'll bet it's waived.

Fire weapons, get dirty, and help the docs review PHAs. Oh, and stare at the wall a lot.

Has anyone looked at the new officer incentives memo more in depth? While it states that MSSRP payback does not begin until after residency, my recruiter told me "Well, as long as you drill during residency then your payback begins after you graduate medical school"

I'm supposed to swear in later this month but payback begin pushed back until after residency is a deal breaker for me - that's way to long of a commitment to sign up for up front without much in return.

Has anyone looked at the new officer incentives memo more in depth? While it states that MSSRP payback does not begin until after residency, my recruiter told me "Well, as long as you drill during residency then your payback begins after you graduate medical school"

I'm supposed to swear in later this month but payback begin pushed back until after residency is a deal breaker for me - that's way to long of a commitment to sign up for up front without much in return.

Trust the written memo, not your recruiter's opinion. It sounds like your recruiter is thinking of the old policy. The new policy clearly states that MDSSP payback begins after residency. We discussed it in this thread sometime within the last 2-3 pages.

Ask him to put that in writing. If it's a deal-killer, do not sign until this has been done.

For those of you who just graduated I was wondering if anyone else was having difficulty with their reappointment to the MC. On top of this, I'm having to do an Interstate Transfer as my residency is in a different state. Supposedly the DCA system (whatever that is) bounced my paperwork as well as my 2 of my fellow classmates who graduated with me. I'm having trouble getting my previous state's OIC to give me an update on what's actually happening other than 'things are being reuploaded as fast as possible." This is frustrating as I'm going to take STRAP and I can't do that until I'm reappointed and undergo IST.

I'm finishing the accession process right now, should board this month, hopefully.

Any of you guys started drilling as a resident? Having any trouble getting drill weekends scheduled? I spoke to our State Surgeon who said they were more than willing to work with me to make it work out for both sides and that a new memo had been released "tying their hands" concerning Flex training and that a CO would have to be really bold to go against it.

Anyone heard of this?

For those of you who just graduated I was wondering if anyone else was having difficulty with their reappointment to the MC.
I graduated last month and am still waiting on the reappointment, but it's supposed to go through shortly. The delay was mostly on my end, as my school takes eons to verify final graduation requirements have been met and authorize a final transcript. Sorry for your pain.

I spoke to our State Surgeon who said they were more than willing to work with me to make it work out for both sides and that a new memo had been released "tying their hands" concerning Flex training and that a CO would have to be really bold to go against it.

Anyone heard of this?
What's the new memo? The most recent that I received is from January 4th, 2010. It's the same policy that I remember from earlier years. You need to drill once each quarter and do AT once every two years.

Ask for a copy of the memo (it's well within your rights). If you get something more recent than 01/04/2010, let me know. If it's the same memo, it's the same policy we've been operating under. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe the memo formalizes what's been Army policy but that some states have been largely ignoring. I know from ASR stuff that many states have been loosey-goosey with requirements.

Let us know what you find...

I graduated last month and am still waiting on the reappointment, but it's supposed to go through shortly. The delay was mostly on my end, as my school takes eons to verify final graduation requirements have been met and authorize a final transcript. Sorry for your pain.

Gotcha, mine seems to be more on the guard end of things, however, supposedly everything is in the system now and "should only take another week."

There is one dated 3/10/2011 on the SCarngmedical.com website.

http://scarngmedical.com/images/IncentivePrograms.pdf

I didn't see anything about "tying hands" or "being bold" but who knows. Seems to be much more up front about possibly being called out of residency for deployment, but not mobilization.

There is one dated 3/10/2011 on the SCarngmedical.com website.

http://scarngmedical.com/images/IncentivePrograms.pdf
Ah. We're talking two different documents. The 03/10/2011 is the Incentives Memo that discusses all of the incentive plans available in the National Guard. That is the most recent copy that I know of.

The document you're referring to does not deal with Flexi-Training at all, other than making mention of it. It just details each program (MDSSP, STRAP, HPLRP, Special Pay, etc.).

The most recent Flexi-Training document that I know of is still the 01/04/2010 document. I still don't see what is "tying their hands" in regards to the Flexi-Training program. Curious...
Seems to be much more up front about possibly being called out of residency for deployment, but not mobilization.
How so? What are you reading? There's still a policy memo exempting all medical residents from deployment. If there's something new, I haven't seen it.

How so? What are you reading? There's still a policy memo exempting all medical residents from deployment. If there's something new, I haven't seen it.

Ok, I must have missed the memos dealing with Flex Training and the exemption from deployment. The incentives memo specifically states that residency can be interrupted for deployment "in the event of war..." which I take to mean the past 10 years.

What is the name of the document exempting us from deployment? Would love to have that on file

Ok, I must have missed the memos dealing with Flex Training and the exemption from deployment. The incentives memo specifically states that residency can be interrupted for deployment "in the event of war..." which I take to mean the past 10 years.
Are you talking about 8.J.? "Army policy currently provides those officers participating in STRAP will not be available to local commanders, or the DARNG, in meeting mobilization cross-leveling requirements..." except "in the event of war or national emergency, participants will be subject to active duty as required by HQDA"

That's the "break the glass" language that we all operate under. In other words, though we have Exemption from Mobilization as declared by policy, if WWIII hits, we can be pulled from residency. Or IRR. Etc. Current policy says no-mobilization to folks in residency, but at the end of the day, we're in the Army, so if things get really nasty, that policy can change.
What is the name of the document exempting us from deployment? Would love to have that on file
Ask your recruiter for a copy of "Exemption Policy from Involuntatry Mobiliation for Reserve Component (RC) AMEDD Officers Participating in Health Professional Programs"

Notdeadyet, you're awesome!

How is PGY1 working out

All good, USCguy. Perfect residency program for me in my field of choice. Doesn't get much better... You?

so far, so good! little bit of an adjustment after the year long vacation known as 4th year

I was just curious but have other ASR's heard that we will hopefully get STEP tests (technically our licensing exams) reimbursed again this year? My second question for people who graduated last year- how late did you take STEP 2 CS and did you still get it reimbursed if you took it later than Aug/Sept/Oct? Thanks

I was wondering if there were any current or prior MDSSP students or physicians? I am starting this Fall and interested in knowing a little bit more about it. I contacted my recruiter and we have been playing phone tag, but wanted to hear more information about it from a first hand experience. What are the obligations? What would I be doing as an ANG during school and residency? Did you think it was a worth while program for you? Thanks :) You can PM me as well if you do not want to post it.

I was just curious but have other ASR's heard that we will hopefully get STEP tests (technically our licensing exams) reimbursed again this year? My second question for people who graduated last year- how late did you take STEP 2 CS and did you still get it reimbursed if you took it later than Aug/Sept/Oct? Thanks

Yes, I got an e-mail advising ASRs to gather their receipt and score report to be ready when further instructions on the reimbursement come through...

Hey guys the information on here has been very informative but i do have a few questions regarding my specific situation. Recently I have talked to my recruiter about joining the ARNG ROTC program which is run at my current university (UCONN in CT), and I will be a sophomore there next semester. I was wondering what my best option is to have my school paid for and medical school paid for without being deployed at least til I am done with residency. My recruiter made it sound like if I joined all my school will be paid for and my time owed to the guard will be almost completely done by the time I finish med school. So what program will give me the most benefits while having the least time owed and being undeployable while in school? Again, my recruiter really left me one sided and did not tell me anything but positives which is expected, but I am not sure why he said I wouldnt owe any service once residency is completed. Ive read on another thread that this may be possible (through ASP?) owing only a year or so after residency and also if there is a site or link to anymore information on ASP or if someone would explain it a little to me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Got my commission last week...

Can anyone confirm they have received the FTA ($4,500 reimbursement) as a guards member in medical school? I was being given the green light and then received a negative on eligibility today. From what I understand on here, we are eligible..

Got my commission last week...

Can anyone confirm they have received the FTA ($4,500 reimbursement) as a guards member in medical school? I was being given the green light and then received a negative on eligibility today. From what I understand on here, we are eligible..

Yes, I received it the last 2 years. Here is the website where you apply. You will need a CAC reader:

https://minuteman.ngb.army.mil/Benefits/Unsecured/Login.aspxReturnUrl=%2fbenefits

We are eligible for FTA. Some states also offer their own tuition reimbursement, but each state is different. Here in Iowa the state only pays for undergraduate education.

Yes, I received it the last 2 years. Here is the website where you apply. You will need a CAC reader:

https://minuteman.ngb.army.mil/Benefits/Unsecured/Login.aspxReturnUrl=%2fbenefits

We are eligible for FTA. Some states also offer their own tuition reimbursement, but each state is different. Here in Iowa the state only pays for undergraduate education.

We're about to start using GoArmyEd rather than the old system:

United States Army National Guard to join GoArmyEd 1/10/2011 9:00:00 AM -- 6/4/2011 11:59:00 PM
Effective June 2011, Army Continuing Education System (ACES) will welcome United States Army National Guard (ARNG) Soldiers as they transition to GoArmyEd, the Army's Virtual Gateway to Education-Anytime, Anywhere.

GoArmyEd currently supports Active Duty and Army Reserve as a one-stop Web site that allows Soldiers, Army Education Counselors, and schools to conduct business for all education needs in a seamless Soldier-centric environment.

Guard Soldiers will be able to register for college courses or on-duty classes and review their student records 24X7. GoArmyEd links directly with schools to allow the Army to pay schools upfront, lifting that burden from Soldiers and ensuring that schools are paid in a timely and efficient manner. GoArmyEd enforces Army tuition assistance (TA) policy via logic throughout the portal, ensuring that registered classes are found on the Soldier's degree plan, that no duplicate courses are taken, and that the Soldier maintains a GPA standard required by the Army to be eligible for TA. GoArmyEd also standardizes services at all Education Centers and supports the Army's mobile Soldier base. Ready access to Soldier information allows counselors to help Soldiers wherever they are deployed.

Key Dates to Remember

6 June 2011- Schools with historical ARNG enrollments set-up in GoArmyEd; ARNG Soldiers begin setting up accounts in GoArmyEd; after completing their account set-ups, ARNG Soldiers will be restricted from requesting TA in GoArmyEd until 1 August 2011.

1 August 2011- ARNG Soldiers begin requesting TA in GoArmyEd for courses that start on or after 1 October 2011. ARNG Soldiers will continue to use the current National Guard system to request courses that start prior to 1 October 2011.

1 October 2011- All ARNG Soldiers and Army education personnel begin using GoArmyEd to manage TA for courses that start on or after 1 October 2011; schools using GoArmyEd receive TA requests, process grades, and submit invoices for courses that start on or after 1 October 2011; the current National Guard system is used only for grade reporting, invoicing, and recoupment processing for courses that started prior to 1 October 2011.

Barium & TMR-

Can I apply for this on my own? Do I have to do this through the education office? They continue to tell me that I am not eligible despite what I consider overwhelmingly positive evidence in this thread.

Additionally, how does one access a CAC reader? I'm going to get my card tomorrow but presumably said reader is only available on military installations?

Thanks

Barium & TMR-

Can I apply for this on my own? Do I have to do this through the education office? They continue to tell me that I am not eligible despite what I consider overwhelmingly positive evidence in this thread.

Additionally, how does one access a CAC reader? I'm going to get my card tomorrow but presumably said reader is only available on military installations?

Thanks

You apply for FTA on your own. If it's for courses beginning before 1-Oct-2011, apply through the NGB site Barium listed. You will need to submit a fee statement and some other things to your state ARNG education office. As long as there is still money available for the fiscal year, you should be eligible. It's a federal program, your state education office just helps with the processing. Find a friendly AMEDD soldier in a class ahead of you; they should be able to help.

If you're getting your CAC from your assigned unit, talk to your Supply NCO. They may have extra CAC readers in supply. If not, I think you can order them online. Just ask someone...maybe the Supply NCO...which model to order. This should help you get the thing working: https://militarycac.com/index.htm. But really, good luck with that. :smuggrin:

So I'm having a pain in the arse time now with incentives/FA since comissioning in 2010.

1) Was "promised" ASR during that time. Papers were before my state board and such. But seems as though my State thought the waitlist would move... we know how that turned out.

2) Just recently, when registering on the GoArmyED for my FTA, I am told that I am no longer eligible since I hold a Master's degree prev. I've appealed that 2x, stating that I received FTA for the past 2 fiscal yrs with no problem under the old system. But supposedly some new FedRec came out in July that makes me ineligible now.

So if thats the end of it, then I'm now out on the 2nd incentive package I signed up under. So all I got left is drill pay (which I having been going monthly while a med student to get money) and GI Bill. My state has a paltry TA (<$1000/yr).

So my questions:
- Anyone have any insight or advice on handle this FTA issue? I could really use that extra $9k total for this/next yr.
- If FTA is no longer an option, what is my recourse for getting out? My unit has been great in trying to get me money any way it can (drill/AT days), however the FTA thing is huge financially for me.

1) Was "promised" ASR during that time. Papers were before my state board and such. But seems as though my State thought the waitlist would move... we know how that turned out.

2) Just recently, when registering on the GoArmyED for my FTA, I am told that I am no longer eligible since I hold a Master's degree prev. I've appealed that 2x, stating that I received FTA for the past 2 fiscal yrs with no problem under the old system. But supposedly some new FedRec came out in July that makes me ineligible now.

Not that this is any consolation but I've experienced both of these problems myself. I missed ASR because the paperwork shuffle is slower than death and by the time I got everything ready it was too late. As far as the FTA, I am also being told I'm ineligible because I was "stupid" enough to get an MPH before applying to medical school.

Ugh... No "state" thought the waitlist would move. No message came from command that a waitlist ever existed. This was discussed on this forum ad nauseum. What you had was optimistic recruiters and optimistic applicants. It's a bummer.
So if thats the end of it, then I'm now out on the 2nd incentive package I signed up under. So all I got left is drill pay (which I having been going monthly while a med student to get money) and GI Bill. My state has a paltry TA (<$1000/yr).
- Anyone have any insight or advice on handle this FTA issue? I could really use that extra $9k total for this/next yr.
No insight. Didn't realize the recs for TA has changed, but it wouldn't surprise me. That's the thing with military incentives: you're only eligible for what you sign up for at the time. FTA is a year-by-year benefit that can change annually. Similarly, many of us are keeping our fingers crossed for the $240K loan repayment, but that could be cut or canceled by the time many of us reach the point of taking advantage.
- If FTA is no longer an option, what is my recourse for getting out? My unit has been great in trying to get me money any way it can (drill/AT days), however the FTA thing is huge financially for me.
Absolutely no recourse. You sign up and are eligible for what's offered to you. Those future offerings change. If you sign up for ASR or MDSSP or STRAP and the program changes, you're grandfathered in. For future benefits (a la HPLRP) or FTA, it's a year by year thing. Your odds of quitting your commitment because an annual program you are pining for is cut or changed is next to zero.

Hey Notdeadyet, I saw you mention that you're from cali. I'm in the cali guard too and currently an OMSII. Where do you go to school?

Ugh... No "state" thought the waitlist would move. No message came from command that a waitlist ever existed. This was discussed on this forum ad nauseum. What you had was optimistic recruiters and optimistic applicants. It's a bummer.

No insight. Didn't realize the recs for TA has changed, but it wouldn't surprise me. That's the thing with military incentives: you're only eligible for what you sign up for at the time. FTA is a year-by-year benefit that can change annually. Similarly, many of us are keeping our fingers crossed for the $240K loan repayment, but that could be cut or canceled by the time many of us reach the point of taking advantage.

Absolutely no recourse. You sign up and are eligible for what's offered to you. Those future offerings change. If you sign up for ASR or MDSSP or STRAP and the program changes, you're grandfathered in. For future benefits (a la HPLRP) or FTA, it's a year by year thing. Your odds of quitting your commitment because an annual program you are pining for is cut or changed is next to zero.

I had to do an IST as well, followed by a change of MOS. The process was long and arduous. Took me 6 months before I started drilling at my new unit. Took a year before I was reassigned. Keep checking up with people, keep calling the people responsible for your paperwork. Call, call, email, and call again, and it will get done, sooner or later.

For those of you who just graduated I was wondering if anyone else was having difficulty with their reappointment to the MC. On top of this, I'm having to do an Interstate Transfer as my residency is in a different state. Supposedly the DCA system (whatever that is) bounced my paperwork as well as my 2 of my fellow classmates who graduated with me. I'm having trouble getting my previous state's OIC to give me an update on what's actually happening other than 'things are being reuploaded as fast as possible." This is frustrating as I'm going to take STRAP and I can't do that until I'm reappointed and undergo IST.

Last edited:
I was in the same situation as you. The main issue here is getting into medical school. When you finish ROTC, you will have a 6 year commitment in the ARNG. If you go AD you'll have 3 or 4. I am assuming you will be a medical platoon leader, which means you will be a 70B and deployable. If you get into medical school you will need to switch from a 70B to a 00E(student officer) in order to be nondeployable. With this path, you will drill monthly in the guard until your 6 years is up. When you come out of residency you'll be done with your ROTC commitment. However, if you chose to take benefits like the MDSSP, you will add on extra years to your 6 years of ROTC. In addition, the time you take benefits will not count toward fulfilling your commitment. I must advise you, depending on which state you're in, you may have NO tuition support(other than the FTA, Drill pay, and GI Bill). So while ROTC is great for undergrad, it may not be the best option if you want to pay for medical school. When you finish residency, hopefully the HPLRP and special pay incentives will still be there, then you can repay your medical school loans. The situation your recruiter gave you is if you commission into the guard, transfer to AMEDD(00E), and serve out your 6 years drilling while in medical school without taking benefits during those 6 years.

However, if you don't get into medical school, you will become a 70B and deployable upon completing BOLC II.

So you have a couple Guard options, these are assuming you get into med school:

ROTC+GUARD(without benefits) = you'll be done with your obligation out of residency, and you will have medical loans. You can stay in the ARNG for a few more years to pay it off(40k/year towards loans), if all things stay the same

ROTC+Guard(with full benefits) = you'll get more money upfront(~$2000/month during medical school and through residency) but you'll be locked into the guard for up to 16 years. You may have some loans.

ROTC is an invaluable program. I can't say enough good things about it. However, you need to realize that medical school admissions is an arbitrary process, and you may or may not get in. If you do ROTC with plans of escaping deployable time, and don't get into medical school, you will be a very unhappy person. If you want to sign a contract into the guard, make sure it is the Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty(GRFD) otherwise you aren't, well... guaranteed reserve duty. If you do contract with ROTC, prepare to be deployed as a platoon leader. If you can handle this reality, go for it. Think about it.

But to answer your question, your recruiter is right. It is a possibility. However, that path will NOT lead to having ALL of your school(undergrad+med) paid. Only undergrad will be paid, unless your state offers tuition waivers like NJ. Then that's a different story and you'll be rolling in cash.

Hey guys the information on here has been very informative but i do have a few questions regarding my specific situation. Recently I have talked to my recruiter about joining the ARNG ROTC program which is run at my current university (UCONN in CT), and I will be a sophomore there next semester. I was wondering what my best option is to have my school paid for and medical school paid for without being deployed at least til I am done with residency. My recruiter made it sound like if I joined all my school will be paid for and my time owed to the guard will be almost completely done by the time I finish med school. So what program will give me the most benefits while having the least time owed and being undeployable while in school? Again, my recruiter really left me one sided and did not tell me anything but positives which is expected, but I am not sure why he said I wouldnt owe any service once residency is completed. Ive read on another thread that this may be possible (through ASP?) owing only a year or so after residency and also if there is a site or link to anymore information on ASP or if someone would explain it a little to me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Hey Notdeadyet, I saw you mention that you're from cali. I'm in the cali guard too and currently an OMSII. Where do you go to school?
I don't. Graduated and am now an intern. Thankfully...

Regarding ineligibility for FTA due to previous Master's degree... has anyone ever heard of a successful appeal or waiver regarding medical school? I have also been denied because of a "Master's" degree I earned right after undergrad. I use quotes because It cost me just one year of evening classes and isn't technically even an M.A. It's a degree that I earned purely out of interest and has contributed essentially nothing to my professional life. Actually, now that I think about it, it is costing me $4500 a year! It just seems ridiculous that it would be considered anywhere near the same level of credential as an M.D.

Regarding ineligibility for FTA due to previous Master's degree... has anyone ever heard of a successful appeal or waiver regarding medical school? I have also been denied because of a "Master's" degree I earned right after undergrad. I use quotes because It cost me just one year of evening classes and isn't technically even an M.A. It's a degree that I earned purely out of interest and has contributed essentially nothing to my professional life. Actually, now that I think about it, it is costing me $4500 a year! It just seems ridiculous that it would be considered anywhere near the same level of credential as an M.D.

I asked whether appealing was worth it and was shot down.