Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Contact a recruiter now. Many people wait until they have the DS acceptance and find out it is too late. You really need to start your app for both at the same time.

So your AF scholarship is pending on your DS acceptance.
Are there any websites with info on AF scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

There is some good info on that site, but some of it is severely outdated and wrong. For instance, one form says the 4 year HPSP is only available to AD and Academy grads. That isn't true and hasn't been for quite a while. It says it was updated in Feb 08, but that wasn't the case then either.

I'll forward this to see if I can get it updated correctly.

Best idea is to contact your recruiter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best idea is to contact your recruiter.

Well, I used an AF recruiter locator and the nearest HP recruiter is several states away. Can I just go to an AF enlisted/officer recruiter to talk about a HPSP?

Well, I used an AF recruiter locator and the nearest HP recruiter is several states away. Can I just go to an AF enlisted/officer recruiter to talk about a HPSP?

Non healthcare recruiters can answer some questions, but most likely won't know anything about HPSP. The recruiting service has gone to a regional concept and not everyone has one nearby. Contact the one you found and see if someone is closer. PM me if you have any trouble getting in touch with someone.

Non healthcare recruiters can answer some questions, but most likely won't know anything about HPSP. The recruiting service has gone to a regional concept and not everyone has one nearby. Contact the one you found and see if someone is closer. PM me if you have any trouble getting in touch with someone.

Will do.

Just thought of some others questions:

How does the deployment work?
Where are you sent for the 1st yr, 2nd yr, etc?
I know that the needs of the AF outweigh personal desires, but are you ever sent to a base/state that you choose? (I'm just trying to think ahead for family needs and such)

Thanks again.

Just thought of some others questions:

How does the deployment work?
Where are you sent for the 1st yr, 2nd yr, etc?
I know that the needs of the AF outweigh personal desires, but are you ever sent to a base/state that you choose? (I'm just trying to think ahead for family needs and such)

Thanks again.
I think you're talking about assignments vs. deployments. You get to put in a preference list for your assignments. AFPC works hard to get you one on the top of your list. However, as you mentioned, needs of the Air Force may trump your picks.

I think you're talking about assignments vs. deployments.
Whoops.
Hey, I got ahold of a recruiter, but I forgot to ask him what happens if you apply for the HPSP but you dont get accepted into DS? (Hopefully not)

I have been told that it is impossible to get into AEGD2 out of dental school.
I want to make a career out of the military and I enjoy practicing general dentistry. I believe that AEGD2 will benefit both myself and the Air Force.

I meet all of the requirements to apply for a specialty....... should I still apply for AEGD2??????

Thanks for your time.

I have been told that it is impossible to get into AEGD2 out of dental school.
I want to make a career out of the military and I enjoy practicing general dentistry. I believe that AEGD2 will benefit both myself and the Air Force.

I meet all of the requirements to apply for a specialty....... should I still apply for AEGD2??????

Thanks for your time.

Go for it. If you are competitive, then you should apply to the 2 year.

So, I am a 4 yr HPSP dental student and graduate in May of 2010. I've heard various stories for payback obligation concerning specialty training but concluded that HPSP payback cannot be served concurrently during specialty training.

If you are a 4 yr HPSP and then enter a 3 yr perio residency, you will owe 4 yrs for HPSP followed by 3 yrs for perio training after you complete perio training. All in all, you would owe 7 years as a periodontist assuming you went straight to perio from dental school.

However, I recently read that Oral Surgery is different in that you can start paying back your HPSP committment during your residency. So for me, it would be four years in OMS residency followed by 4 years of service as a OS. Also, read that his would satisfy the IRR 8 yr period.

Is this true? I orginally thought you would have to serve 8yrs as a OS assuming you went straight to OMS residency following dental school.

thanks,
Driller

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I am a 4 yr HPSP dental student and graduate in May of 2010. I've heard various stories for payback obligation concerning specialty training but concluded that HPSP payback cannot be served concurrently during specialty training.

If you are a 4 yr HPSP and then enter a 3 yr perio residency, you will owe 4 yrs for HPSP followed by 3 yrs for perio training after you complete perio training. All in all, you would owe 7 years as a periodontist assuming you went straight to perio from dental school.

However, I recently read that Oral Surgery is different in that you can start paying back your HPSP committment during your residency. So for me, it would be four years in OMS residency followed by 4 years of service as a OS. Also, read that his would satisfy the IRR 8 yr period.

Is this true? I orginally thought you would have to serve 8yrs as a OS assuming you went straight to OMS residency following dental school.

thanks,
Driller

This is also covered earlier in this thread, but it bears repeating here.

You cannot payback your HPSP time while you are in a residency. Your residency payback and your HPSP payback will be served concurrently. So, a 4 year HPSP student will owe 4 years for HPSP and 3 for the Perio program. You will have 3 neutral years in the Perio Res, then you will start paying back your Perio res and your HPSP at the same time. You would spend a total of 7 years on AD. 3 as a resident and 4 as a Periodontist.

AFDDS,

Can you help me find contact information for the 14 AEGD directors? website link?

Also, do AF AEGDs provide any freedom for residents to get extra training/exposure in specific areas of dentistry OUTSIDE the regular rotations? For instance, if you want to be a GP competent in molar endo, complicated fixed prosth (more than 3 unit FPD) cases or implants; is there any flexibility within the program?

What is the learning environment like? Is it, "If you don't know it, go look it up!" or are the instructors more like mentors helping you learn in clinic and maybe providing you with literature to help the info sink in?

thank you,
Driller

AFDDS,

Can you help me find contact information for the 14 AEGD directors? website link?
I'll PM you some info on this.

Also, do AF AEGDs provide any freedom for residents to get extra training/exposure in specific areas of dentistry OUTSIDE the regular rotations? For instance, if you want to be a GP competent in molar endo, complicated fixed prosth (more than 3 unit FPD) cases or implants; is there any flexibility within the program? Every program is flexible here. As you show more and more competence for the more complicated procedures, you will be given more and more complicated ones to complete. We consider molar endo to be a core competency, so you will get plenty of exposure.

What is the learning environment like? Is it, "If you don't know it, go look it up!" or are the instructors more like mentors helping you learn in clinic and maybe providing you with literature to help the info sink in?
Which would you prefer? I only ask because some like it one way and some like it others. To be honest, its a mix. Most of the mentoring is in the classroom or in the clinic (65-75%). On occasion, someone will ask me something that I think lends itself to a lit review or a quick lookup and will ask them to do that and report back to the class in the next week. My personal belief is that we can give you some info in the classroom, but most learning is done hands on in the clinic. I can talk all day about complex amalgams, but until you sit down and do one, you won't know exactly what I'm talking about.

thank you,
Driller
All of our programs follow a similar curriculum and we share amongst programs regularly. We try to make the program as clinical as possible, but some didactic work is required to get all the concepts across and some is required for accreditation purposes. If you have a strong desire to become more competent is certain areas, don't be afraid to let your staff know that up front. When someone comes to me with a desire like that, I try to find as much of whatever it is they want to get them all the training they want.

Hello,
I am in the process of filling out paperwork for the AF AEGD1 program. Is there a website or someone I could speak with about the descriptions of each program? I would like to make an educated decision, and not one based mainly on geography. I am an average student and will not be a very competitive candidate. However, what I lack in rank, GPA, and board scores, I make up with hard work and clinical knowledge. Any help and resources provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,
I am in the process of filling out paperwork for the AF AEGD1 program. Is there a website or someone I could speak with about the descriptions of each program? I would like to make an educated decision, and not one based mainly on geography. I am an average student and will not be a very competitive candidate. However, what I lack in rank, GPA, and board scores, I make up with hard work and clinical knowledge. Any help and resources provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
AFPC can give you a formal description, but as I mentioned above, the programs are very similar. The only real difference in them is that some have a pediatric dentist and some don't. Otherwise, very few differences. We have regular meetings with the program directors, we share information and we discuss our curriculum on a regular basis. You can't go wrong with any of the programs, in my opinion.

AEGD-1

The Air Force Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD-1) Residencies are postgraduate educational programs offering the recent dental graduate advanced professional education beyond the undergraduate level. The 52-week programs are accredited by the ADA through CODA (Council on Dental Accreditation).

Currently, USAF offers the AEGD Residency at the following AF bases: Barksdale AFB, LA; Bolling-Andrews AFB, Wash, DC; Eglin AFB, FL; Elmendorf AFB, AK; Langley AFB, VA; Nellis AFB, NV; Offutt AFB, NE; Scott AFB, IL; Sheppard AFB, TX; Travis AFB, CA; USAF Academy, CO; and Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.

The objective of the programs is to produce competent, well-rounded Air Force General Dental Officers who can effectively manage the comprehensive dental health needs of the Air Force community and beneficiaries. Didactic and clinical training are provided as each resident expands their depth and breadth of knowledge and expertise in the disciplines of endodontics, oral surgery, orthodontics, periodontics, implantology, fixed and removable prosthodontics, comprehensive treatment planning, operative, and pediatric dentistry. In addition to these disciplines, forensic dentistry, infection control, preventive dentistry, geriatric dentistry, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, oral pathology, radiology, anxiety and pain control (including IV sedation), and physical diagnosis are emphasized.

Though programs vary slightly, the training provided at each location is remarkably similar, as all follow the same highly successful template to achieve comparable outcomes. Staff to student to ratios are again very similar with larger programs having more staff mentors. Locations obviously offer much diversity. However, it should be noted that the resident will only be at the training location (except Elemendorf AFB AK for now) for one busy year, then be reassigned to another permanent duty location. Thus, the location of the AEGD-1 residency is not highly significant to the program or the long-term quality of family/personal life.

SUMMARY: AEGD-1
Length:
12 month
Locations:
Andrews-Bolling AFB (9), Barksdale AFB (5), Elmendorf AFB (3), Eglin AFB (8), Keesler AFB (8), Langley AFB (6), Nellis AFB (6), Offutt AFB (8), Scott AFB (6), Sheppard AFB (6), Travis AFB (6), USAF Academy (6), and Wright-Patterson AFB (8).
Number:
Approximately 85 residents/year; (see above)
Upon Completion:
Certificate

Last edited:
So does that mean if you go to Elmendorf in Alaska for your AEGD, that you will be stationed there for 3-4 years after that?

So does that mean if you go to Elmendorf in Alaska for your AEGD, that you will be stationed there for 3-4 years after that?
Should put a disclaimer on that one. That was the case for this year's class, but that will be changing after the next class. So, to answer your question, it's not likely you will stay at Elmendorf longer than one year.

Simple question, what i suppose to do to get accepted in the AF, i mean if i get accepted in a dental school what i suppose to do ?. Simply i know nothing, wher i can find a clear information about this issue?

I just got 90 in NBDE 1 and applied for sevral schools this year and i really interested in AF.

I heard that if u speak arabic language is a good push is that true? I am from Iraq originaly

sincerely,
Samir

Should put a disclaimer on that one. That was the case for this year's class, but that will be changing after the next class. So, to answer your question, it's not likely you will stay at Elmendorf longer than one year.

I am graduating this next year (2010) and I am on a 3-year HPSP. So this next year in 2010, if I am sent to Elmendorf I would likely only be there for 1 year? The reason why I ask is because I would like to do a tour overseas if at all possible after my AEGD and I do not want to go to an AEGD base that will keep me there for 3-4 years. Thanks for your help AFDDS. It's really nice having a current AF dentist to talk to and answer questions. Talking to other AF dentists that served in the past is helpful, but they just don't know all of the changes that have happened. Thanks again.

I am graduating this next year (2010) and I am on a 3-year HPSP. So this next year in 2010, if I am sent to Elmendorf I would likely only be there for 1 year? The reason why I ask is because I would like to do a tour overseas if at all possible after my AEGD and I do not want to go to an AEGD base that will keep me there for 3-4 years. Thanks for your help AFDDS. It's really nice having a current AF dentist to talk to and answer questions. Talking to other AF dentists that served in the past is helpful, but they just don't know all of the changes that have happened. Thanks again.
Can't guarantee anything yet. Its in the process of being changed to a 1 year assignment for AEGD residents. Just can't say for sure when it will be final.

AFDDS-

I just graduated from dental school w/ the hpsp program and have a couple questions about insurance. Does the AF cover us with any life insurance or disability insurance? Thanks....

I was just reading some older threads and a few questions hit me....
Do you actually get to go to any of the bases that you have choosen?
If your top 8 locations are filled where do you go?
How long are you assigned to each base?

Thanks.

AFDDS-

I just graduated from dental school w/ the hpsp program and have a couple questions about insurance. Does the AF cover us with any life insurance or disability insurance? Thanks....
Life insurance, yes. You pay a minimal premium amount for $400K of life insurance. You can get supplemental insurance, but most won't cover any "acts of war".

Disability is still yes, but not like the disability insurance in the civilian world. The disability is covered through the VA and is on their scale. I don't know the exact specifics, but I 'm sure your recruiter can get you some info.

Last edited:
I was just reading some older threads and a few questions hit me....
Do you actually get to go to any of the bases that you have choosen? AFPC works very hard to get you something in your top 5, but may have to go on down the list. I don't have the current numbers, but it was 80+ % got something in their top 5.
If your top 8 locations are filled where do you go? The way it has worked in the past is: 1) AFPC will contact you with a list of places they do have open, with an emphasis on locations close to your top 5 choices. They will usually give you some other options as well. You will then be given the opportunity to pick from those other locations.

How long are you assigned to each base? CONUS bases have a 4 year minimal time on station and OCONUS bases are 3 years time on station. some waivers are available and some exceptions are in place. So, the answers above cover you most of the time. You can usually get a waiver to leave a CONUS base early to start training, but not OCONUS bases. Residents graduating from AEGD-1 programs typically move to another base, but not 100% of the time.

Thanks.
AFPC works hard to get you something you choose. Just please remember, sometimes "needs" of the Air Force or lack of openings at a particular base may dictate the need to send you somewhere else. See some comments on other threads about location. Most of the time it's not where you at, it who you're there with that make a location or break it.

Yep, it was pretty much that. You start every morning with PT (5am), followed by breakfast, and then either lots of lecture/ group discussions, or some type of outdoor activity (drill, leadership reaction course, other leadership evaluation exercises). Then for a few days you stay in a mock deployment setting, where you do a ropes course, wall repelling, and do a mock ER/ triage scenario. You learn a lot and you don't get very much sleep (~4 hours every night). Oh yeah, also be prepared to throw down approximately $800 for uniforms.

How do you only get 4 hours of sleep? That makes no sense. Are you in classes or PT until 1 am.....probably not I assuming..... so what are you doing that limits you to so little sleep?

Are there class room/lecture examinations?

How and why did some of you decide to join the Air Force instead of the Navy or Army?
I have read that the AF may have nicer clinics but are there other reasons?

Hey AFDDS,

So when you said that "CONUS bases have a 4 year minimal time on station" did you mean that you can serve out your 4 payoff years in one base? If not, correct me.

Thanks.

"acts of war".

Can you please expand on what you mean by that statement? Yeah, I know it is the military and you never know what can happen.... but I like my limbs where they are right now.;)
I am just trying to decide if this military/HPSP is the thing for me. I heard enough of the pros from my recruiter and others. Now I just want to some hear the drawbacks from a experienced source.
Thanks again.

AFPC works hard to get you something you choose. Just please remember, sometimes "needs" of the Air Force or lack of openings at a particular base may dictate the need to send you somewhere else. See some comments on other threads about location. Most of the time it's not where you at, it who you're there with that make a location or break it.

Will the "needs" of the Air Force ever cause them to send you a location not on your list?

I would have to partly disagree with your last statement. Let me explain...If I get accepted into the AF HSPS, I would choose 8 locations closer to family in the continental US. If I get into these locations I would gladly work with some difficult people if I could be with family and friends on my free time.

Thanks......yet again.:)

How do you only get 4 hours of sleep? That makes no sense. Are you in classes or PT until 1 am.....probably not I assuming..... so what are you doing that limits you to so little sleep?

Are there class room/lecture examinations?

You don't have class until 1am. But when classes are finished for the day, there are a lot of other obligations that you need to complete. Some nights you may have to write a paper, other nights you may need to study in order to pass an exam; another night you may need to prepare for a briefing in which you will present to a small group. There is also laundry, prepping uniforms, group meetings, etc. You will also have some type of personal assignment. For example I was the standardization officer. So I had to make sure that everyone was on the same page for the next day. My group (also called a flight) had to have everything the same: how our papers looked, how we carried our bags, whether we rolled up our sleeves or not. It doesn't seem like a lot of work, but it can become time consuming to find all of your group members to verify that they know what to do. You schedule ends at about 7pm, but from 7pm-12am, there are many other things that need to be accomplished. If you go to bed right after dinner, you may be well-rested, but you will be completely unprepared for the next day/rest of the week and will probably screw the rest of your flight. Lastly, if you are charge of quarters for the evening, you have to make sure that everyone has checked back into the dormitory by curfew, which I think was 11.....do I need to continue? Nothing is impossible at training, there is just A LOT to do and not enough time to do it.

You don't have class until 1am. But when classes are finished for the day, there are a lot of other obligations that you need to complete. Some nights you may have to write a paper, other nights you may need to study in order to pass an exam; another night you may need to prepare for a briefing in which you will present to a small group. There is also laundry, prepping uniforms, group meetings, etc. You will also have some type of personal assignment. For example I was the standardization officer. So I had to make sure that everyone was on the same page for the next day. My group (also called a flight) had to have everything the same: how our papers looked, how we carried our bags, whether we rolled up our sleeves or not. It doesn't seem like a lot of work, but it can become time consuming to find all of your group members to verify that they know what to do. You schedule ends at about 7pm, but from 7pm-12am, there are many other things that need to be accomplished. If you go to bed right after dinner, you may be well-rested, but you will be completely unprepared for the next day/rest of the week and will probably screw the rest of your flight. Lastly, if you are charge of quarters for the evening, you have to make sure that everyone has checked back into the dormitory by curfew, which I think was 11.....do I need to continue? Nothing is impossible at training, there is just A LOT to do and not enough time to do it.

I think experiences depend on your flight and your attitude. I can't remember a time I was working on COT-related stuff past 10 pm. In general, it was rare for me to not get 6 hours of sleep each night. Some flights were a lot more intense, for lack of a better word, than mine. I can see how you could make enough work for yourself and your flight to only get 4 hours of sleep, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Hey AFDDS,

So when you said that "CONUS bases have a 4 year minimal time on station" did you mean that you can serve out your 4 payoff years in one base? If not, correct me.

Thanks.
If you don't attend and AEGD, and go directly to a CONUS base, your minimum time on station is 4 years. So, yes, you would serve the entire time at one base.

Can you please expand on what you mean by that statement? You would have to ask an insurance company what they mean by this, as it is their terminology. It's pretty safe to say that injuries in a war zone would be covered here, but the insurance company would have final say. Yeah, I know it is the military and you never know what can happen.... but I like my limbs where they are right now.;)
I am just trying to decide if this military/HPSP is the thing for me. I heard enough of the pros from my recruiter and others. Now I just want to some hear the drawbacks from a experienced source.
Thanks again.
From my perspective, no drawbacks. However, it's important for you to understand that what others see as a drawback, I may not see as an issue. Everyone is different. You need to take the positives and negatives people list and understand that their perspective on that is very subjective and someone else may not see it the same way.

Will the "needs" of the Air Force ever cause them to send you a location not on your list? Possibly. However, the typical process is to try to get you as close to those locations as possible. You just have to understand that we have a mission that must come first. We can't put an overage of people at one location and leave another with several open positions, because the mission is what will suffer.

I would have to partly disagree with your last statement. Let me explain...If I get accepted into the AF HSPS, I would choose 8 locations closer to family in the continental US. If I get into these locations I would gladly work with some difficult people if I could be with family and friends on my free time.

Thanks......yet again.:)
I understand your position on my last statement, but you will be spending more time with the people you work with than the weekends you have off. You may be close to family, but if you don't like the work environment, your time off tends to be consumed with your displeasure.

Thank you to those that answered my numerous questions, but does someone have an answer for this one?

How and why did some of you decide to join the Air Force instead of the Navy or Army?
I have read that the AF may have nicer clinics but are there other reasons?

Thank you to those that answered my numerous questions, but does someone have an answer for this one?

Although I am not AF, the decision process is pretty much the same when you are considering one branch over the other. Each person is going to have his/her own reason.

Reasons to pick one over the other (not in any particular order):
1. Location of bases/being stationed
2. Education opportunities
3. Staffing (AF is best staffed)
4. Clinics
5. Chances of deployment (AF deploys less)
6. Lifestyle (At home more often in AF, not having to make as many sacrifices)
7. Traditions
8. Family ties

I am multi-generation Navy. Even though deployments and work ups are long and life away from the family stinks, I love the life of the Navy and the traditions. I had been in the Navy for 7+ years before starting d-school and applying for a scholarship. I had a wonderful opportunity to volunteer at the dental residency clinics (MacKown and Dunn) at Lackland AFB in San Anonio before I applied to dental school. I loved the educational programs they offered. The attitudes of the AF officers and enlisted were more laid back than I was accustomed to in the Navy. To me, that was very tempting. Had I applied for an AF scholarship, I would have pretty much been guaranteed one as I had the backing of many of the COLs who taught the residency programs and the COL who was in charge of the dental residency programs. They tried to convince me to sway away from haze gray and go blue. I was very much tempted because of the experiences I had at Lackland. Had I never been in the Navy prior to assisting there, I would be on the AF scholarship today. But, in the end, I chose the Navy because I love the Navy and its traditions. I don't think I would have made a wrong decision had I gone AF, but I chose to go where my heart was.

Thanks for answering NAVY DDS. Many of the reasons you provided are actually things that a leading me to the AF.

I just read that for OMFS residency, you should apply two years before graduation. Is this accurate? I just started my D3 year, so should I send in an application even if I haven't taken my part 1 boards yet (scheduled for end of August)...can I still apply?

Thanks.

I just read that for OMFS residency, you should apply two years before graduation. Is this accurate? I just started my D3 year, so should I send in an application even if I haven't taken my part 1 boards yet (scheduled for end of August)...can I still apply?

Thanks.
Contact AFPC to be sure. You need to talk directly with the OMS consultant prior to applying and AFPC can help you with that process.

if you're a guy.. do they make you shave your head when u serve as a military dentist?.. i'm just wondering

if you're a guy.. do they make you shave your head when u serve as a military dentist?.. i'm just wondering

No, you don't have to shave your head. Now, for Offcier training in the various servies, I canot tell you if you do or not, but after Officer training you don't. Here are links that list the grooming standards for each of the military services:

AF - http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/afi36-2903.pdf

Navy - http://www.npc.navy.mil/CommandSupport/USNavyUniforms/UniformRegulations/Chapter2/2201.htm

Army - http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r670_1.pdf

Marines - http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/mcub/library/MCUR/URCh1.htm#UR1004

I came across a thread on this site that insinuated that the AF AEGD-1 program is only for new dental grads. Is this true? What constitutes a new grad? If someone has been out of dental school for one year are they inelligible for the AEGD-1? Thanks.

When are the dates for COT? I thought there were a couple different dates.

I'm on 3 year and will be applying for a specialty, but have yet to do COT. I don't want it to interfere with a potential residency placement. As such, I might have to find a way to take next summer off and get it taken care of depending on the available dates.

I came across a thread on this site that insinuated that the AF AEGD-1 program is only for new dental grads. Is this true? What constitutes a new grad? If someone has been out of dental school for one year are they inelligible for the AEGD-1? Thanks.
AEGD-1 programs are designed (by CODA and the AF) for new grads less than 1 year out of dental school. If you have more experience, consider the 2-year AEGD.

When are the dates for COT? I thought there were a couple different dates.

I'm on 3 year and will be applying for a specialty, but have yet to do COT. I don't want it to interfere with a potential residency placement. As such, I might have to find a way to take next summer off and get it taken care of depending on the available dates.

Not sure of all the exact dates, but it runs almost year round. We have a certain # of slots held for the summer sessions due to the high number of grads during this time. It's harder to get a COT time other than the June-July sessions, but it's doable. Just work with AFPC.

how many students do AF accept every yr?. . . is it like more competitive than getting into dental schools?