Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how many students do AF accept every yr?. . . is it like more competitive than getting into dental schools?
Roughly 80 per year are accepted. 110+ apply.

added information for clarification: 80 AEGD residents are accepted. We have 112-115 (give or take a few) HPSP graduates each year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
how competitive is it to get into air force AEGD program? I have a sub 2.6 GPA right now and really want to get the training there

how competitive is it to get into air force AEGD program? I have a sub 2.6 GPA right now and really want to get the training there

See above. We are trying to have training, traditional specialty or AEGD, available to all graduates. It probably can't happen 100%, but it will be close. If you want to be more competitive, work on raising your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where will I be sent if I choose to do a AEGD? Can I choose the base where I undergo the AEGD? Can I still choose a location to be assigned to after the AEGD or am I at AF's will at that point?

Also, I was told that if I get accepted into the AF HPSP that I would go to COT the summer before DS. I was wondering if I could do it after DS and AEGD? If I could wouuld this change any pay, ranking, etc......
Thanks.

Last edited:
Where will I be sent if I choose to do a AEGD? Can I choose the base where I undergo the AEGD? You will get to give a preference list when you apply to the AEGD program.
Can I still choose a location to be assigned to after the AEGD or am I at AF's will at that point? Just before you graduate, AFPC will release a list of open assignments and you will rank order them. The overwhelming majority get an assignment high on their list.

Also, I was told that if I get accepted into the AF HPSP that I would go to COT the summer before DS. I was wondering if I could do it after DS and AEGD? Not after the AEGD for sure. If I could wouuld this change any pay, ranking, etc......
Thanks.

You're highly encouraged to attend COT before starting Dental School. It allows you to get it out of the way and allows you to get to your AEGD or first assignment on time and you won't have to worry about it.

You will get to give a preference list when you apply to the AEGD program.
Is there a list of all the bases that offer this program?
Just before you graduate, AFPC will release a list of open assignments and you will rank order them.
Does this list tend to be pretty large or quite limited? I want to be somewhere in the continental US (preferably southeast)...... I just dont want to be sent out to overseas. If I complete the AEGD did my chances for being sent out overseas increase?
You're highly encouraged to attend COT before starting Dental School. It allows you to get it out of the way and allows you to get to your AEGD or first assignment on time and you won't have to worry about it.
I was thinking a long break with nothing to do would be really nice before DS, but I can see why it is highly encouraged for it to be done early.

Also how does the financial situation work with the AEGD? Do you get officer pay or is it similiar to the tution/stipend deal you have during DS?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
What if one is doing the 3 year HPSP and their school functions on summer semesters? Would COT interfere with a given residency start? Would they make that individual hold the residency off for one more year?

Thanks!

Is there a list of all the bases that offer this program?
Does this list tend to be pretty large or quite limited? I want to be somewhere in the continental US (preferably southeast)...... I just dont want to be sent out to overseas. If I complete the AEGD did my chances for being sent out overseas increase?
I was thinking a long break with nothing to do would be really nice before DS, but I can see why it is highly encouraged for it to be done early.

Also how does the financial situation work with the AEGD? Do you get officer pay or is it similiar to the tution/stipend deal you have during DS?

Thanks again.

Once accepted for the HPSP program, you will receive all the information you need for the AEGD programs. Here is a link to an AF website with info for you. http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/id...area=AEGD1&doctype=subpage&docname=CTB_074432

When you graduate the AEGD program, you will be given a list of roughly 40 bases or so. Sometimes it's less bases with more openings. just depends on the year. Some years have more overseas assignments and some have less. Southeast is probably doable.

Once in the AEGD, you are on active duty, so you get paid as an active duty officer (captain/O3).

What if one is doing the 3 year HPSP and their school functions on summer semesters? Would COT interfere with a given residency start? Would they make that individual hold the residency off for one more year?

Thanks!
No. AEGD programs are designed to start after new graduates finish COT.

Just want to let everyone know that I will be deploying in 1 week. I will probably have access, but I may not have a chance to answer all your questions in a timely fashion. I'll do my best and if I can't get to your question, I'll try to get someone else to answer them for you. Take care and good luck in your endeavors. See you more regularly in 6 months.

First of all, thanks for all your previous answers and good luck on the deployment.

Could you talk about what to expect at the AEGD interview? What types of questions to expect, etc. Are they more geared to personal qualities, school experiences and such? I'm assuming it won't be quizzing clinical questions like max dose of anesthetic and premed issues. Just wondering to expect.

First of all, thanks for all your previous answers and good luck on the deployment.

Could you talk about what to expect at the AEGD interview? What types of questions to expect, etc. Are they more geared to personal qualities, school experiences and such? I'm assuming it won't be quizzing clinical questions like max dose of anesthetic and premed issues. Just wondering to expect.

Your assumptions are correct. No clinical questions.

I usually try to get to know the person and try to look at whole person. I look at your transcript and we go over some things on it as well as just talking about why you joined the AF, etc...

Once in the AEGD, you are on active duty, so you get paid as an active duty officer (captain/O3).

So would I be a 2nd Lt. during DS and then upon graduation be promoted to captian?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to let everyone know that I will be deploying in 1 week. I will probably have access, but I may not have a chance to answer all your questions in a timely fashion. I'll do my best and if I can't get to your question, I'll try to get someone else to answer them for you. Take care and good luck in your endeavors. See you more regularly in 6 months.

Thanks for all the advice and guidance that you have offered. It is very much appreciated. Good luck and happy 4th of July.

So would I be a 2nd Lt. during DS and then upon graduation be promoted to captian?
You'll pin on Captain at day 1 of COT, if you go to COT after dental school. Otherwise, see the post below by Navy DDS2010

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice and guidance that you have offered. It is very much appreciated. Good luck and happy 4th of July.

Thanks. Happy Independence Day to all of you and yours. Thanks for your choice to serve this great nation.

To those of you at least considering it, remember, it's a very small percentage of us that make the choice to serve the nation. I know some threads have been posted listing some negative things about being in the military, but right now, none of them matter to me. Our military needs good men and women to help keep this country safe. Make no mistake, just because you don't pick up a weapon doesn't mean you don't contribute. In the last AF Chief of Staff Quality of Life Survey, AF members picked their dental benefit as the #2 most important benefit to them. Approximately 20% of the disease/non battle injuries are dental related. According to some research by deployed AF dentists, if a member of the armed forces deploys with no dental needs there is only a 2% chance they will have a dental emergency while deployed. If a member deploys with significant dental needs, there is a 75% chance they will have a dental emergency. (research published in AMSUS journal). The work we do during peacetime makes a difference in war.

Keep up the good work, study hard, give a little of yourself, and good luck to all of you.

Thanks. Happy Independence Day to all of you and yours. Thanks for your choice to serve this great nation.

To those of you at least considering it, remember, it's a very small percentage of us that make the choice to serve the nation. I know some threads have been posted listing some negative things about being in the military, but right now, none of them matter to me. Our military needs good men and women to help keep this country safe. Make no mistake, just because you don't pick up a weapon doesn't mean you don't contribute.....................The work we do during peacetime makes a difference in war.

Keep up the good work, study hard, give a little of yourself, and good luck to all of you.

I agree with AFDDS 100%. Plus, there will those people who will discredit the work of a dentist as not really serving your country as you don't get into the thick of things or put yourself on the line. I personally haven't experienced it from the dental side, but have heard it from the medical side. It doesn't matter what job you do in the military. EVERY job is an important job - no matter how glamourous or dangerous it is. When you place that uniform on and you serve in it honorably and proudly, you are doing your service for your country.

Yesterday, although I didn't go out and have the typical 4th of July BBQ or watch the fireworks display, I celebrated in my heart what the 4th means to me. As I did my chores in my apartment, I am sure I annoyed the heck out of my neighbors because I played the patriotic songs that were playing on GAC loudly and proudly. Listening to Lee Greenwood's "GOD Bless the USA", I got the chills. My mind returned to JAN 23, 2002 after returning from my first deployment. A thousand or so of us sailors manned the rails as our aircraft carrier pulled pierside with 10,000+ people cheering us back after 6 months at sea leading the bombing raids on Afghanistan. "GOD Bless the USA" was blaring over the speakers as a HUGE US flag was flying with snow falling. That was the proudest moment I have ever felt knowing full well I did my part in the defense of our great nation. No one will ever be able to take away the feeling I had that day and what it means to me to be an American serving in the military doing my little part for our country.

For those of you considering a life in the military, life in the military is by far not always like the day I had that JAN 23rd. But, it is the days like that day that you will always treasure and reflect back on why you chose to serve your country. None of us want to be deployed and go to war, but when we join the military, we take this obligation freely and must serve our country proudly. For those of you considering the military life, life will not always be grand, but if you love your country this experience will be worth it. For those who have already chosen it, THANK YOU!

For those who are over there, have been over there, or are about to go over there, THANK YOU!!!! GOD BLESS the USA!!!

AFDDS - Good luck, stay safe, see you later and hurry home.

Hi, I am interested in the AF scholarship program. Just out of curiosity, how much do dentists get paid in the AF over the course of the 4 required years? (Not including the scholarship)

Thanks for the help...

Hi! I just graduated from dental school and will start my AEGD at Nellis in August. I don't know whether or not I should get disability insurance now or after my service in the military.
My school had our class meet with a financial advisor who advised us to get disability insurance. She told me that if I signed up, I would lock in the rate at my current age and pay for one month. Then it will be inactivated/frozen during my time in the military. It will then be reactivated at the same initial rate.
My program director recommends getting disability insurance after service. What do you think? Thanks!

Hi! I just graduated from dental school and will start my AEGD at Nellis in August. I don't know whether or not I should get disability insurance now or after my service in the military.
My school had our class meet with a financial advisor who advised us to get disability insurance. She told me that if I signed up, I would lock in the rate at my current age and pay for one month. Then it will be inactivated/frozen during my time in the military. It will then be reactivated at the same initial rate.
My program director recommends getting disability insurance after service. What do you think? Thanks!

Distability insurance - shop around and compare the different companies out there. I gave up looking for disability for me after al the copanies I looked t said I couldn't purchase it while in the military. Since I am on active duty, I cannot get it. Bu, we did buy the disability insurance for my wife - long term and short term. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting it after your time on active duty is up. My wife broke her hip when we ran the Oklahoma City Marathon in 2005. It broke at mile 7 (base on what can can figure). She finished the final 19 miles on the broken hip. It ended up getting worse over the next month. She ended up being bedridden for 3 months and off work for over 6 months. Thank goodness for the disability insurance. We would have lost over $6k per month (after taxes) had we not had the insurance. Imagine what your take homepay will be as a civilian dentist. Could you risk losing that money for any amount of time? Most people never have to use it, but what if you are that low percentage who does need it , but you chose not to? I will NEVER risk not having ample insurance. Insurance has saved our butts a couple times. Without the proper insurance, we would have ben screwed this past year after Hurricane Ike severely damaged our house - all costs will be in excess of $100k when all said and done. We will be out only the deductable.

My point - don't be afraid to get the insurance. If you ever catch yourself wondering whether you should get insuranc for some reason, wiehg the pros and cons and whether you could afford NOT to have it?

I believe your program director has misinformed you. You should get the policy as soon as possible prior to any potential disqualifying health conditions. If you don't get it prior to your call to active duty you will not be able to obtain it until after your active duty is complete. You already stated the advantage "it will be inactivated/frozen" therefore assuming you get an "own occupation, COLA, etc. etc. guaranteed until a specified age" it can't be taken away from you. A great forum is www.disabilityinsuranceforums.com Get the best policy you can protecting you from the worst case scenario.

Hi, I am interested in the AF scholarship program. Just out of curiosity, how much do dentists get paid in the AF over the course of the 4 required years? (Not including the scholarship)

Thanks for the help...

Look back through this thread and you'll see quite a bit on pay. Also search and you will find quite a bit of info on this as well.

I'm not an expert on this, so the best advice I can give you is to check with some disability insurance providers and see what they offer and let them know your situation. You can buy some supplemental disability now while serving, but not sure who it is through.

Hi first of all, thank you for serving all others before your self. you are appreciated.
I know with the HPSP there is ussually a 6 month deployment, but where could that be and what is that life like, all i can visualize is some sand sucking army base, please tell me that is not where the air force practices dentistry??
what would an officer's wife do/ where would she go while i am "deployed"?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!, paul

Hi first of all, thank you for serving all others before your self. you are appreciated.
I know with the HPSP there is ussually a 6 month deployment, but where could that be and what is that life like, all i can visualize is some sand sucking army base, please tell me that is not where the air force practices dentistry??
what would an officer's wife do/ where would she go while i am "deployed"?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!, paul
No guarantees of a deployment. Just because you take a HPSP doesn't mean you will deploy. Your spouse can stay home, go stay with family, or really what ever they want.

I'll tell you more about deploying when I get back.

Does the AF scholarship program accept licensed dentists, I know they accept students? If so, is it the same program or different? If different, could you provide some details for it?

Thanks

Does the AF scholarship program accept licensed dentists, I know they accept students? If so, is it the same program or different? If different, could you provide some details for it?

Thanks
The HPSP program is for dental students only. We do have a HPLRP (Health Professions Loan Repayment Program). It pays up to $40K per year for 2 years to a max of 72% of your loans. You have to be on active duty for 6 months to be eligible for this program at this time.

I can't remember exactly when I saw it or if I remember it correctly, but I think recently you said about 80 people join the HPSP each year. Then I saw the website you linked to ( http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/id...area=AEGD1&doctype=subpage&docname=CTB_074432 ) that said that about 85 residents each year were admitted to the AEGD1. Approximately how many people from the HPSP pool go to the AEGD1? Are not all positions filled?

I can't remember exactly when I saw it or if I remember it correctly, but I think recently you said about 80 people join the HPSP each year. Then I saw the website you linked to ( http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/id...area=AEGD1&doctype=subpage&docname=CTB_074432 ) that said that about 85 residents each year were admitted to the AEGD1. Approximately how many people from the HPSP pool go to the AEGD1? Are not all positions filled?

Actually, I said about 80 per year start an AEGD out of 110+ applicants. We do fill all of our AEGD-1 positions. We have 112-115 per year graduates that had a HPSP scholarship. Most of those are 4 year, but some are 3 and 2 year scholarships.

The 80 AEGD positions usually work out because some decide not to attend an AEGD, and some get accpeted to traditional specialty programs.

hi, i'm meeting with a AF recruiter this coming Wednesday, i was wondering if you could tell me what am i gona expect?.. What kind of questions should i ask and understand from them??

If you go to COT before dental school will you still pin on as a Captain?

While in dental school, everyone (including a prior officer of higher rank in the military) is an O-1 (2nd Lt - AF and Army and Ensign - Navy) when they are on the HPSP scholarship. You put on O-3 (Captain - AF and Army and Lieutenant - Navy) once you have graduated from d-school.

While in dental school, everyone (including a prior officer of higher rank in the military) is an O-1 (2nd Lt - AF and Army and Ensign - Navy) when they are on the HPSP scholarship. You put on O-3 (Captain - AF and Army and Lieutenant - Navy) once you have graduated from d-school.

alright that is what I thought, thanks!

Thanks for clarifying this.

AFDDS-
Thanks so much for the time you've put into this thread?

My question is: in the HPSP program, are there vision requirements? Is it ok if I have to wear glasses or contacts?

Thanks!

I'm here and somewhat settled. I should be able to get access daily. Keep the questions coming.

I am a foreign trained dentist, married, mother of a 13 y/o girl doing Advanced standing program right now in order to get my DDS license. I am considering the military option and would be meeting with a recruiter soon. However, I am really concerned about the posibility of being deployed to a place where I cannot take my family with me and I am wondering what are the chances for this to happen and if this military option is right for someone like me.... Any input is greatly appreciated.

AFDDS-

My question is: in the HPSP program, are there vision requirements? Is it ok if I have to wear glasses or contacts?

Thanks!

Yes you can wear glasses/contacts....you just cant fly any planes :D

I am a foreign trained dentist, married, mother of a 13 y/o girl doing Advanced standing program right now in order to get my DDS license. I am considering the military option and would be meeting with a recruiter soon. However, I am really concerned about the posibility of being deployed to a place where I cannot take my family with me and I am wondering what are the chances for this to happen and if this military option is right for someone like me.... Any input is greatly appreciated.

First of all, are you an American citizen? You state you are foreign trained, but mention nothing of your citizenship. If you are not a citizen of the US, then the military isn't even an option for you.

Next, we need to define two things for you - 1. deployment and 2. being stationed somewhere. First, on a deployment, no one can have their family with them. On a deployment, that is when the military members are conducting some form of military operations (whether it is during peace time or during war). So, on a deployment which could be 3 months to a year or in extreme circumstances a little more. During this time you wil be like eveyone else and have to leave your family behind for the length of the deployment. The second thing things that needs defined (which is what I think you might be referring to) is being statined somewhere. When in the military, you belong to a certain base. After a certain amount of time at your job, the military will move you to a new location. This is totally different from deployment. It is from this place where you leave from when you get deployed. Anyways, when you are married and have a family, the military is not going to make you move to a base where you have to leave your family behind. They will always move you together. So, if get stationed in Europe, your family can go too. If you get stationed in Florida, your family goes too. It is just when you get deployed that the family cannot go with you. Eventually, you will come back to them after the deployment.

Again, it will not even matter if the family can move with you or not if you are not a US citizen, so if you can verify this for you we can do a better job of assisting you in the right manner.

AFDDS-

Thanks!
Glasses or contacts are fine. A vision standard does apply, but you wouldn't even make it to dental school, much less finish if you didn't pass it. Good luck.

As someone else already pointed out, you need to be a U.S. Citizen to serve as an officer in the military.

Deployments, as you can imagine, are typically in places that are less than friendly. Your family would not be able to go with you on a deployment. Assignments can happen both ways. We do have some unaccompanied (family members cannot go) assignments, but not many. Those are typically filled by volunteers. We make many calls out to try to fill all of those assignments with volunteers, but on occasion, someone that doesn't volunteer must go. (BTW, this hasn't happened in about 5 years) Please keep in mind, the needs of the Air Force will come first. Parents married to other military members or single parents, must have a family care plan on file. This is a plan for what your children will do and where they will go if you get deployed or get an unaccompanied assignment.

Talk with your recruiter and get all the information from them. Write your questions down and keep asking the recruiter until you have all the information you need. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks AFDDS and Navy DDS.... yes, I am a US citizen.

I finished reading this entire thread, and I want to make sure I understand something correctly. Suppose I do the 3 year HPSP program, and that I am admitted into an Air Force OMFS residency upon graduation from dental school. After my residency, would I then owe 7 years of active duty service?

And then after those 7 years, I could leave the military and go into private practice just like any other oral surgeon?

Thanks!

I finished reading this entire thread, and I want to make sure I understand something correctly. Suppose I do the 3 year HPSP program, and that I am admitted into an Air Force OMFS residency upon graduation from dental school. After my residency, would I then owe 7 years of active duty service?

And then after those 7 years, I could leave the military and go into private practice just like any other oral surgeon?

Thanks!

You missed it by that much... You would serve 8 years. 4 years in your OMS program, and your 4 years OMS payback would be served concurrently with your 3 years of HPSP payback. At the end of your commitment, you would be able to separate and enter private practice if you would like to do so. I'd like to think, you might even consider staying on for a while after that.

Thanks for your help. I'm surprised they only require 4 years after HPSP + residency, and I'd definitely consider putting in a few more years. But I do want to go into private practice at some point. Thanks again!

1. is there still a 20,000 signing bonus for the AF?. also i would like to know how much of that are you going to take home after tax..

2. with the monthly stipend.. i think almost 1900 when you are in dental school, how much do you actually get after tax?

3. this is a silly question, but say if i took the scholarship for d-school, and if i find me a wife in d-school, and she was a d-school student too.. wouldn't it be hard for the marriage to work after we both graduate?.(this is acutally the most imporant question).

4. also.. when you get the scholarship.. i understand that you would have to get some officer trainning b/4 entering d-school.. can someone tell me what that is like??

5. I'm applying for the AF scholarship rite now, i was wondering if i should also contact a navy recruiter/army recruiter at the same time to apply as a back up.. just in case i dont get it... i heard that recruiter dont like to work w/ you if they know you are doing that.. but its just like applying for d-school, u cant put all your eggs in one basket .. rite?

I'll do my best to answer some of the questions, but others should add more and correct me if I am wrong.

1. is there still a 20,000 signing bonus for the AF?. also i would like to know how much of that are you going to take home after tax.. No signing bonus for AF just Army and Navy.

2. with the monthly stipend.. i think almost 1900 when you are in dental school, how much do you actually get after tax? Not sure.... stipend is 1992 and after taxes I think it would be in the 1600-1700 range.

3. this is a silly question, but say if i took the scholarship for d-school, and if i find me a wife in d-school, and she was a d-school student too.. wouldn't it be hard for the marriage to work after we both graduate?.(this is acutally the most imporant question). this is not a silly question by any means and I have also thought about it.... but everytime I read something about it I cannt get a clear answer. So..... I will provide some imput but I would also like to see another answer to this.
What I have understood: you are going to be assigned to a certain base (choosen from a list that you will have filled out). First, in this list, you can put bases that will allow you and your future wife some flexibility to choose a location that will work for both of you. You on base and her off base. Second, I can think that your wife can work as a civilian dentist at a military base.

4. also.. when you get the scholarship.. i understand that you would have to get some officer trainning b/4 entering d-school.. can someone tell me what that is like?? COT is the thing you are thinking of.... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=647898
I posted this thread and got some go advice.....

5. I'm applying for the AF scholarship rite now, i was wondering if i should also contact a navy recruiter/army recruiter at the same time to apply as a back up.. just in case i dont get it... i heard that recruiter dont like to work w/ you if they know you are doing that.. but its just like applying for d-school, u cant put all your eggs in one basket .. rite?
Each branch of the military has its own pros and cons..... I decided that the AF would be the best for me personally so I only applied for the their scholarship.

thanks yupper!.... but i wonder y AF doesnt hve n.e signing bonus!. that sucks!. also that would be good to know that you wont be potentially holding your wife back from practicting after d-school b/c of you.. thts good to know!

3. this is a silly question, but say if i took the scholarship for d-school, and if i find me a wife in d-school, and she was a d-school student too.. wouldn't it be hard for the marriage to work after we both graduate?.(this is acutally the most imporant question).

For many people, life in the military will either make or break a marriage. Separation from your spouse (family) really does suck. I happened to fall into the category early on in my wife and my relationship where our relationship was tested because of physical separation. At first, we were 300+ miles apart while I was stationed in Pensacola, FL and she was in Gainesville, FL going to Pharmacy School. We only saw each other every other weekend. Then, I got stationed in Bremerton, WA (3,000+ miles), so we only saw each other every few months for a couple days during the school year. Over a 4 year period, because of her schooling and me being in the Navy and the time at sea, we saw each other only 11 months TOTAL. Our marriage was stronger after those 4 years than it was at the beginning because we forced ourselves to develop ways of making us closer. Was it hard at times? Hell yeah! But the hard part was just phyically not being able to see the one you loved, not the emotional side. Emotionally, through phone calls, letters, e-mails, pictures, flowers, etc. we were always showing the other how much we loved the other.

Now, since your question involved the possibility that you meet your wife in dental school, I'll add to that. You will always get to place your wish list of places to be stationed. they try to work with you to get one of those places, but the needs of the military always come first. The bad thing is that your (proposed) spouse's career has no say in where you get stationed. She either tries to find work where you are stationed, or the two of you live separated lives while you are stationed wherever so she can work where she wants to. Now, there is a possibility that she could try to get a civilian job on base, but that only works if there is a job opening. Another option would be for her to go active duty while you are in. The military usually does a good job of keeping married military couples near each other.

Overall, no matter what option will work for you and your proposed future wife, it takes effort on both your parts to make a military marriage successful. If you work at it (and truthfully want it to work and you put your whole heart and soul into it), then your marriage will thrive no matter what yo face in the military.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. is there still a 20,000 signing bonus for the AF?. also i would like to know how much of that are you going to take home after tax..
Not at this time. To be honest, its hard to get the people that hold all the money to pay a bonus when we are filling over 100% of our HPSP scholarships each year. Will it happen eventually? Maybe so. Personally, I think its a sad statement that we need to pay someone to take a free ride to school.

2. with the monthly stipend.. i think almost 1900 when you are in dental school, how much do you actually get after tax?
Can't answer this one, but I'm sure you will get all the info you need from those that are taking the scholarship now.

From experience....I have a resident that is married to one of our other General Dentists. He graduated 2 years before her. When she graduated, she decided to join the AF. She also could have gotten a job downtown. You will be able to have some input on where you go, so choose wisely, Grasshopper.

4. also.. when you get the scholarship.. i understand that you would have to get some officer trainning b/4 entering d-school.. can someone tell me what that is like??

Can't speak for the recruiting services. However, in my opinion, I wouldn't care if they liked it or not. It's your life and you need to do what is best. If you don't have a huge preference, apply for all you can and take the one you like the best.

Good Luck.