Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 users
Do programs verify externships/observerships that's entered on the post match residency paperwork when accounting for time since graduation? I entered the contact information of the physician I observed/shadowed but if the physician is no longer at the hospital and I don't have their contact information (like direct email address), I entered the main department phone number instead.

If the PC/program is unable to reach the physician, is this a problem?

Second how do programs verify overseas medical schools? I had given an email address that I knew from when I graduated but apparently it's not valid any more. The school has a new email address and believe it or not, it's on one of those free email services..doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the medical school. It's given on their web page so it's legit!

Do programs typically email the med school overseas to verify and what kind of information do they want to verify? The staff at some of these medical college is low level clerical staff meaning they are not necessarily the brightest bunch so wanted to know is it simply graduation year that's being verified?

Do programs verify externships/observerships that's entered on the post match residency paperwork when accounting for time since graduation? I entered the contact information of the physician I observed/shadowed but if the physician is no longer at the hospital and I don't have their contact information (like direct email address), I entered the main department phone number instead.

If the PC/program is unable to reach the physician, is this a problem?

Second how do programs verify overseas medical schools? I had given an email address that I knew from when I graduated but apparently it's not valid any more. The school has a new email address and believe it or not, it's on one of those free email services..doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the medical school. It's given on their web page so it's legit!

Do programs typically email the med school overseas to verify and what kind of information do they want to verify? The staff at some of these medical college is low level clerical staff meaning they are not necessarily the brightest bunch so wanted to know is it simply graduation year that's being verified?
Dude...knock it off. Seriously. You've done all that you can. Given honest information. Sit back and wait. Nothing else you can do at this point.

Thank you so much everyone for the great info in this thread.
I am IMG ECFMG certified (235, 243, pass) applying for 2017 match, and I have a question related to visa status. Basically, I am a legal refugee who got admitted to the US one year ago following my med school graduation; I have indefinite EAD permit in hand. Just recently, I filed my adjustment of status to get GC (I could only do that after being physically present in the US for one year which is what I did). Typically it takes 3-6 months from now to get my GC and it is 100% guaranteed, just a matter of time
The question is, what is the best option to select in MyERAS from the following to maximize my chances of getting residency interviews :
1- pending PR application 2- Refugee/Asylum/displaced person. 3- foreign national currently in the US with EAD
I do not want to lie and say I am a GC holder, because even though I would definitely get it before residency and I even have the Alien number that will be shown on the GC, there is nothing guaranteed with USCIS and their unexpected delays.
Which choice is best to go for? I would appreciate any input on this unique situation. Thanks.

I would choose that you have the EAD. Everyone will know this means you can legally work in the US. You could use part of your PS to further clarify, if you wanted. Don't claim a GC you don't have.

Reactions: 2 users
I would choose that you have the EAD. Everyone will know this means you can legally work in the US. You could use part of your PS to further clarify, if you wanted. Don't claim a GC you don't have.
I will go with EAD then. Thank you!

ignore made separate thread.

Last edited:
Hi I first off wanted to thank those that have taken the time to answer all these questions. I truly do appreciate it!

I was wondering if it's OK to couples match with my fraternal twin brother ( we look very different). We are both applying to IM. Also was wondering if it could worsen our chances of getting into certain programs.

Hi I first off wanted to thank those that have taken the time to answer all these questions. I truly do appreciate it!

I was wondering if it's OK to couples match with my fraternal twin brother ( we look very different). We are both applying to IM. Also was wondering if it could worsen our chances of getting into certain programs.
didn't you ask this last year?

Reactions: 2 users

You can absolutely do it, and I know of twins that went through the match this year in OB. They matched at something like their 22nd choice (!!).

I thought it was odd so I asked around about it during downtime on the OB ward and while people liked them individually it was get they were so similar that it hurts your diversity to essentially take two of the same person. I think it will be easier with IM because of the far increased number of physical spots but be prepared to answer the question of why you are going through this together and address the above diversity concern. I'm not sure I would recommend it...

You don't have to disclose that you are couple's matching. There is a spot for it in ERAS, but you can say no / leave it blank. Then, in NRMP, you can link your matches. Note that you can use the couple's match to maximize the chances of ending up in different programs in the same city, or different cities, if that's what you want. Some people will find this weird -- I wouldn't disclose it.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I had a question with regards to the nature of LORs to use for ERAS. I had a couple of LORs that were written by PDs in 2015, and was wondering if it will be acceptable to upload LORs from over a year back or if i had to upload LORs from recent months only?? Thnx for the help!!

Hi, I had a question with regards to the nature of LORs to use for ERAS. I had a couple of LORs that were written by PDs in 2015, and was wondering if it will be acceptable to upload LORs from over a year back or if i had to upload LORs from recent months only?? Thnx for the help!!
Why do you only have old LORs? Are you a 4th year now or did you already graduate and fail to Match last year?

LORs should mostly be from your SubI or specialty of choice rotations, preferably in your 4th year. If the letters are really good, ask the writer(s) to submit new ones with a current date.

Why do you only have old LORs? Are you a 4th year now or did you already graduate and fail to Match last year?

LORs should mostly be from your SubI or specialty of choice rotations, preferably in your 4th year. If the letters are really good, ask the writer(s) to submit new ones with a current date.
Well, I'm an IMG who graduated on 2013 and moved to the USA on 2015, and I got my LORs at that time. I'm planning to apply for the first time during match 2017 and I was caught in a quandary as to whether I could use those LORs or get new LORs here, which might not be as strong as those from my PDs. Your input is greatly appreciated!!

Well, I'm an IMG who graduated on 2013 and moved to the USA on 2015, and I got my LORs at that time. I'm planning to apply for the first time during match 2017 and I was caught in a quandary as to whether I could use those LORs or get new LORs here, which might not be as strong as those from my PDs. Your input is greatly appreciated!!

IMG LORs (unless written by USCE docs) will be viewed as close to useless. Frankly, most AMG LORs are close to useless. I read almost every word of the MSPE and unless I know the letter writer, I usually read the first and last paragraph of LORs. True fact.

Reactions: 4 users
IMG LORs (unless written by USCE docs) will be viewed as close to useless. Frankly, most AMG LORs are close to useless. I read almost every word of the MSPE and unless I know the letter writer, I usually read the first and last paragraph of LORs. True fact.

Everyone is in the top 5% of people they have ever worked with, no?

I actually called someone on it 2 years ago. They wrote letters for multiple applicants. I contacted them and asked them how this could be possible.

Didn't hold it against the students, in case anyone was worried.

Reactions: 5 users
For Prelim Medicine app, should I use all IM letters? I have letters from my sub-I and third year, all in IM. Also have letters in the specialty I'm applying to but not sure how much weight that will hold. Thanks!

Hi all, my query pertains to the chances of joining PGY2 neurosurgery programs after doing a preliminary year of general surgery, and if that's possible at all? I was told from a couple of my fellow colleagues that after doing a preliminary year of general surgery, I would have to apply to categorical neuro programs which would put me back into PGY1 and the prelim year wouldn't have much influence as far as joining competitive neuro programs goes. I was hoping to hear from anyone who may have had a similar experience. Your inputs are greatly appreciated!!!

Hello aProgDirector. First off, thank you and the the other regulars in the forum that answer our various questions even though you are very busy. My question is that I failed step 1 once and only scored 217 on my retake. Should i address this in my PS? Or should I not mention it in the PS, and just answer it when I am asked about it? Thank you for any advice.

Hello aProgDirector. First off, thank you and the the other regulars in the forum that answer our various questions even though you are very busy. My question is that I failed step 1 once and only scored 217 on my retake. Should i address this in my PS? Or should I not mention it in the PS, and just answer it when I am asked about it? Thank you for any advice.

I don't think there's anything you can say about it in your PS that will change much. It's your score. Programs will care, or not.

Ok thank you for your prompt reply. I will not mention my failure in my PS. Thanks again

Good afternoon @aProgDirector

I'm unfortunately in a tight pickle where my school is making me take the CCSE before taking CK. Unfortunately the earliest I can take the CCSE is Sept 2, thus the earliest I can take CK will be Sept 10. Even with that date, that's a best case scenario situation. This means I won't get my CK results until October 5. If I'm applying for medicine and prelim surgery, how much of a negative impact will this have? From your personal experience and talking to other PDs, do you normally download applications again later on during the interview season, or do you download all of them by Sept 30th (or some arbitrary date) --> filter applicants --> arrange interviews --> fill interview dates --> done deal for the season even if you've finished all this BEFORE the application deadline? I hope this last part makes sense what I'm asking. I apologize in advance if it doesn't. Today has just been a huge reality check, that I may not have a job come next July 1st.

This will be the only missing piece of the puzzle. I am an US-IMG with a Step 1 score of a 230, passed CS, and have two case report publications.

I'm really disappointed with the way my school handled the situation, dropping this bomb on me, 5 weeks before the interview season is about to start. I had originally planned on taking the exam on August 26th, to have the scores back in time by Sept 14th.

There isn't a standard answer to your questions.

First of all, there is no "downloading" of applications. That was in the past -- we would download applications from the ERAS "Post Office" onto our local computers and then review applications from there. Now it's all web based. But your question still stands, just replace "download" with "review".

Each program can determine some cut off date after which they will no longer look at applications. Some may choose some physical date, some may keep reviewing applications until all of their interview spots are full, and some may continue to review applications and fill a waitlist. Some view the "deadline" to refer to initial submission of the application, and some to having it complete enough for review (which is also program dependent).

At this point, there really isn't anything to do about it. This is another good example about why leaving these exams to the last minute is not a good idea -- any number of issues can arise that might bump your exam date.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I'm a FMS graduating on 12/2016. I plan to apply for IM in the 2018 match.

Therefore, I have almost a year before applying. Step 1 already taken, I have an US elective lined up for December (my school only allows 1 month elective outside of its hospitals :( ). Going to do my best to be done with CS and CK early next year. So, suppose I do well on Step 1 (250 score, like my practice exams predict), what should I do next year to improve my chances of matching?

I thought about:

1) Starting an IM residency program early next year and quitting if I get accepted (about 6 months before finishing); - One thing to consider... if I don't get into a residency program, I run the risk of being kidnapped by the military to do 1 year of forced labor.
2) Getting into a research fellowship such as https://smhs.gwu.edu/imp/programs/international-scholars/medical-research-fellowship-program. I'm not sure if this would be a good idea, I think research is cool n all, but it would be a financial blow. Also I do not seek a research oriented career.
3) Look for volunteer work somewhere... Not sure how to go about this path.
4) Look for observerships, externships in the US.
5) Suggestions ?

I asked my Q in another thread, but I didn't get any response. So, I am posting this again here:
I have a chronic rheumatologic disease. It is not debilitating and is under control. I am thinking about mentioning this issue it in my personal statement to highlight the challenges I've had and how I have managed this. Although, I am not sure if this issue would hurt me or not? Do the PDs consider my illness as a risk or disadvantage?

Thank you

Dear Program Director:
So in 3rd year of bed school went through Major depression and went through different doctors and meds and all that, so it caused me to fail step 2 ck 3 times and cs twice. I want to go to Family Med / applying to prelim internal med programs.

My stats:
US IMG
Graduated 2014.
MBA
MPH
Step 1 : 196/ 1 st attempt PASS
Step 2 ck: 214/ 4th attempt PASS
Step 2 cs: PASS 3rd attempt
Step 3: 192 PASS 1st attempt
Publication
Research experience
Working as Clinical Data Analyst & Clinical Educator - teaching 3rd and 4th year med students.

Should I mention reasons for failures in PS? My advisor and others advise against it?

I know its bad, I told my adviser and he still wants me to try....even though I feel like giving up

Hello, I'm a FMS graduating on 12/2016. I plan to apply for IM in the 2018 match.

Therefore, I have almost a year before applying. Step 1 already taken, I have an US elective lined up for December (my school only allows 1 month elective outside of its hospitals :( ). Going to do my best to be done with CS and CK early next year. So, suppose I do well on Step 1 (250 score, like my practice exams predict), what should I do next year to improve my chances of matching?

I thought about:

1) Starting an IM residency program early next year and quitting if I get accepted (about 6 months before finishing); - One thing to consider... if I don't get into a residency program, I run the risk of being kidnapped by the military to do 1 year of forced labor.
2) Getting into a research fellowship such as https://smhs.gwu.edu/imp/programs/international-scholars/medical-research-fellowship-program. I'm not sure if this would be a good idea, I think research is cool n all, but it would be a financial blow. Also I do not seek a research oriented career.
3) Look for volunteer work somewhere... Not sure how to go about this path.
4) Look for observerships, externships in the US.
5) Suggestions ?

All of these are reasonable ideas. Good scores on the USMLE are critical. US Clinical Experience is greatly preferred.

I asked my Q in another thread, but I didn't get any response. So, I am posting this again here:
I have a chronic rheumatologic disease. It is not debilitating and is under control. I am thinking about mentioning this issue it in my personal statement to highlight the challenges I've had and how I have managed this. Although, I am not sure if this issue would hurt me or not? Do the PDs consider my illness as a risk or disadvantage?

Thank you

It would be illegal to hold it against you. However, some programs might. If you mention it in your PS, it's an open topic for your interview. One could argue that you'd be better off at a program that's willing to work with you on this, rather than one that might hold it against you.

This seems like it might be obvious, but I've got to ask. If you are on an audition rotation for family med, and you get an interview invite during that rotation for another residency, does it look terrible to do the interview during that audition? I was thinking that the earlier you interview, the better off you might be. But also, I wouldn't want to be rude to my audition rotation preceptors.

Thank you so much for this thread and for still taking time to check it out. I'm an IMG, graduated last year. I haven't taken any steps yet. I plan on taking step 1 hopefully by January. I do not have any USCE and I want to apply to Psychiatry. What are the odds of getting a transitional year program as an IMG without USCE and if I do get one, does it increase my chance of getting a Psychiatry program.

If I do get around to getting a USCE, it's going to most likely be an observership because i may not be able to afford to pay an agency to help arrange an exernship. Can this suffice or are there other ways of arranging an exernship without spending a fortune on these agencies.

Thanks once again for your help.

This seems like it might be obvious, but I've got to ask. If you are on an audition rotation for family med, and you get an interview invite during that rotation for another residency, does it look terrible to do the interview during that audition? I was thinking that the earlier you interview, the better off you might be. But also, I wouldn't want to be rude to my audition rotation preceptors.

It's hard to know if the audition will be upset. My advice would be to try to arrange for the interview on your day off. Or, arrange your day off for the interview. So, if your interview is on a Thursday, offer to work Sat and Sun and ask for Thursday off instead.

Interviewing earlier isn't really a benefit, since no spots are handed out until the match, there really isn't any value to interviewing earlier.

Thank you so much for this thread and for still taking time to check it out. I'm an IMG, graduated last year. I haven't taken any steps yet. I plan on taking step 1 hopefully by January. I do not have any USCE and I want to apply to Psychiatry. What are the odds of getting a transitional year program as an IMG without USCE and if I do get one, does it increase my chance of getting a Psychiatry program.

If I do get around to getting a USCE, it's going to most likely be an observership because i may not be able to afford to pay an agency to help arrange an exernship. Can this suffice or are there other ways of arranging an exernship without spending a fortune on these agencies.

Thanks once again for your help.

TY's are actually more competitive to get than IM Prelims and GS prelims. They tend to be less work, and preferred by the rockstar Ophthal / Derm / Radiology US candidates. If you're taking Step 1 in January, then you're not applying until next year's match. Focus now on your steps, and then try to get some US clinical experience even if just an observership. You can contact local psychiatrists and see if they will take you. Some local training programs, especially if they are IMG friendly, might take you -- they figure it's a way to "interview" you. Contacting medical schools or big name places is likely to be fruitless.

Thank you

Personal statements should focus on the work, not yourself. If you are using your experience as a patient to show why you will be awesome at the work, that is fine. Residency is a job, first and foremost. Fitness to work is a concern for all applicants and your statement should make an very clear and unequivocal statement about your current fitness if you decide to use it.

Thank you for doing this thread. I will be couples matching with my fiance this application season. I have been told that as soon as one of use gets an interview that we should BOTH e-mail that program and let them know about our situation.

Should we e-mail the program director or program coordinator or both in this situation?

Thank you for doing this thread. I will be couples matching with my fiance this application season. I have been told that as soon as one of use gets an interview that we should BOTH e-mail that program and let them know about our situation.

Should we e-mail the program director or program coordinator or both in this situation?

I'm not sure you should do this. If it gets closer to the end of the season and your SO hasn't gotten interviews, it might be worth a update about it...

Hey everyone,
I'm an IMG and will be applying for family medicine residency this fall.

Step 1 score is 213(1st attempt).
Passed Step 2 CS(1st attempt)

I am trying to decided whether or not to take step 2 ck right now(August) or later because I haven't been doing all that well on NBMEs. I really don't want to risk failing Step 2 CK so I want to study a bit more before taking the real thing which would probably be around mid-late September(get my result back before Oct.1st)

How late can I submit my Step 2CK score and still have a fair chance of getting interviews?

Thanks for your help!

Hey everyone,
I'm an IMG and will be applying for family medicine residency this fall.

Step 1 score is 213(1st attempt).
Passed Step 2 CS(1st attempt)

I am trying to decided whether or not to take step 2 ck right now(August) or later because I haven't been doing all that well on NBMEs. I really don't want to risk failing Step 2 CK so I want to study a bit more before taking the real thing which would probably be around mid-late September(get my result back before Oct.1st)

How late can I submit my Step 2CK score and still have a fair chance of getting interviews?

Thanks for your help!

As a IMG, you need to be ecfmg certified. That requires steps 1 and 2cs/ck. So some programs may decline to interview you until that time. But, if you do poorly, that will hurt you too... October 1 result date is probably not too bad, though.

I'm not sure you should do this. If it gets closer to the end of the season and your SO hasn't gotten interviews, it might be worth a update about it...

Thanks for the input. Could you elaborate why you say this?

I have been told to contact early so we can get the status of the other person and not waste time/money on interviews unless we will both have one.

I find advising people who are couples matching to be challenging.

If you are both equally competitive for your specialties, then this might be reasonable advice. A program might have overlooked your partner's app.

If you are not equally competitive (the usual situation), then it can become annoying for the PDs to deal with the question of "doing a favor" to offer an interview to a marginal candidate. Or not. If a program is in a location that doesn't have many geographically paired programs, then it will raise the question in the primary applicant's program's mind if this candidate is worth interviewing at all, since their partner didn't get an interview.

You have to be realistic about your relative competitiveness. My experience is that some couples will not tell programs that they are couples matching for this reason - to maximize the match for them individually and avoid these sorts of dilemmas.

Last edited:
How much do you value your program's current residents input/opinions in regards to applicants? For smaller programs especially, if a current resident can put in a good word for an applicant, or conversely a negative word, does that weigh heavily into your decision to interview/rank someone?

How much do you value your program's current residents input/opinions in regards to applicants? For smaller programs especially, if a current resident can put in a good word for an applicant, or conversely a negative word, does that weigh heavily into your decision to interview/rank someone?
As with every other question in this thread, the answer is, "it depends". A good word will be very minimally beneficial at the interview stage and somewhere between moderately and extremely beneficial at the ranking stage.

A negative word from a current resident in good standing with a program is likely to completely nuke any chance you could have possibly had at that program.

Thank you all for doing this again. My question is about chair letters. The letters my school writes are straight form letters not saying much more than "according to our records, Erumir has existed, at least at the time of his X rotation." Obviously, if a program requires it, I send it and if they don't mention them or say they are not required, then I can send an actual clinical letter with experiential evidence that I do in fact exist. My problem is with programs that "prefer," or "strongly prefer" chair letters. Should I play it safe and send the chair letters, useless as they may be, in case the programs know that my school gives chair letters and wonder why I decided not to follow their so strongly worded suggestion?

Thank you all for doing this again. My question is about chair letters. The letters my school writes are straight form letters not saying much more than "according to our records, Erumir has existed, at least at the time of his X rotation." Obviously, if a program requires it, I send it and if they don't mention them or say they are not required, then I can send an actual clinical letter with experiential evidence that I do in fact exist. My problem is with programs that "prefer," or "strongly prefer" chair letters. Should I play it safe and send the chair letters, useless as they may be, in case the programs know that my school gives chair letters and wonder why I decided not to follow their so strongly worded suggestion?

If a program states that it prefers/strongly prefers a Chair letter, send it. Your other letters will presumably provide context from people who have actually worked with you, but for whatever reason some programs like to have a Chair letter.

If a program states that it prefers/strongly prefers a Chair letter, send it. Your other letters will presumably provide context from people who have actually worked with you, but for whatever reason some programs like to have a Chair letter.

Letters signed by the Chair have a greater chance of not being 100% BS.

Seriously people, letters are a very very poor substitute for direct knowledge from someone I know about that applicant. The inflation of BS in LORs has rendered them nearly useless. Many attempts have been made to make them more "useful". They have all failed. The MSPE is best thing that every happened to the common application and should render all secondary application cr*p obsolete. (By the way, very happy to see AAIM come out AGAINST secondary application material).

Hopefuly LORs will disappear in the near future replaced by something more useful. Or just one less thing for me to skip over.

If you're an IMG, the "chair letter" is meaningless. At US schools, the chair letter tends to fill the role of a mini-dean's letter, summarizing your performance in the IM rotations. My advice is that IMG's should simply submit 4 letters and not worry about a "chair's letter", if that's what you're asking. If you're a USMD and the chair's letter is useless, then you're stuck submitting it when asked.

Greetings!
First, this thread is approved by an administrator for the forums.

I am a program coordinator at a major medical center and have been lurking here for a while. I have noticed many questions about the program side of ERAS, interview questions, process questions, and what to wear to an interview. Since I have been a coordinator for over five years, and I love what I do, I have started this thread to answer any questions you may have about the whole interview process or anything else.

I will not respond to questions about institutions or specific programs (i.e. MGH IM residency).

So, fire away, let me know how I can help you.

Freddie

Hi, Frederica

I am one of these older US IMG's with 5-10 years of corporate work experience, some of it at three Fortune 100 companies, significant responsibility, major US city, etc..
I have had a small issue with Step 2 CK because I'm finding several topics tested in the exam weren't covered in as much detail in my undergraduate medical education.

So my question to yourself and/or your team would be if they can provide some insight on how a "late" application is viewed "as late", from a couple of different perspectives?

For example, clearly a day after Sept. 15th is viewed as late by whatever percentage of applicants apply during that first day.. (is that # public information?). For others, past the 21st of Sept. would be late; still others, past October 1st.

Clearly, it would seem that the majority of program deadline are October 31st or beyond, so I don't really see the disconnect -- and just trying to better understand, AS WE SAY IN THE CORPORATE WORLD, "expectations". I'm also not naive enough to see this "idea of lateness" as being on a continuum, and realize that different programs are different. It would be interesting to try better understand how a sampling of viewpoints might "see" this topic.

Alternatively, if everyone just agreed that October 1st was about as late as an application should be submitted, then why doesn't the ACGME just move all programs to October 1st and settle the issue ?! (But to be fair, I don't agree with that increasingly automated ERAS system, it seems to take power away from the PD (and the human being) and give it the computer processor, which can't be ideal.)

Lastly, I think or hope (only "hope" not "plan") that your program would find me -- as an applicant -- interesting, responsible and ready to perform, despite my not hoped for possible delay (of possibly 1 week) on the Step 2 CK. I am scheduled to have a score by the 15th at the moment. I can say that as an older medical graduate, the discrepancy (in the deadlines and the expectation) is very confusing.

- Dan

Last edited:
Lastly, I think or hope (only "hope" not "plan") that your program would find me -- as an applicant -- interesting, responsible and ready to perform, despite my not hoped for possible delay (of possibly 1 week) on the Step 2 CK. I am scheduled to have a score by the 15th at the moment. I can say that as an older medical graduate, the discrepancy (in the deadlines and the expectation) is very confusing.

- Dan
The "discrepancy in deadlines/expectations" is the least of your problems.

You state that you're "having a problem with 2CK" but is that due to prior failure(s) or just that you're not willing to take it until your predicted score is high enough? If the latter...I guess no harm. If the former, Strike 1. Also, if you don't meet the 7 year Step 1-3 time limit, this is all a moot point...your potential medical career is over.

You're a US-IMG...Strike 2.

Your YOG is "5-10 years" ago. Strike 3.

Feel free to spend the money on Step 2CK and CS, but I suspect that your chances of matching, regardless of when you take it and what score you get on it, asymptotically approach 0.