Atlantic Bridge Dentistry Applicants 2015 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guyz!! So my sis received an acceptance letter from University College Cork for the 4 year program today. They said that it had been delayed a bit due to the Easter holiday. Just letting you guyz know that they send out the 4th year acceptances. Good luck to rest of you!!!
is this a troll post, I just spoke to atlantic bridge today and they said no offers have been sent :S
for dentistry or med?

If this is true, I guess most of us will be hearing back about the 5 year program. Although ABP who sends out the offers gave me no indication that they had sent out any.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Guys I do have a question for those of you who applied for UCC graduate entry program. So atlantic bridge emailed me last week saying that UCC admission would start reviewing my application soon and wanted me to fill in a supplementary form. they wanted to know if I have taken courses like biochem,anatomy,physio and etc. So I am wondering now are those courses required for the 4-year program entry? I don't remember AP has mentioned anything about them on their application form. I am worried that I would get rejected for the 4-year program because I have not taken any anatomy courses :(

So, did everybody who has undergrad/bachelor degree already completed got this supplementary evaluation form to fill out? Who else got it? Cuz I got one too but back in November when I applied. Please share, just curious if everybody who applied for 4 year graduate entry program is asked to fill out this form?

is this a troll post, I just spoke to atlantic bridge today and they said no offers have been sent :S
for dentistry or med?

If this is true, I guess most of us will be hearing back about the 5 year program. Although ABP who sends out the offers gave me no indication that they had sent out any.

I don't get one part, nobody who has gotten an offer has posted, but it's eirher brother/sister or their friend posting. Not sure why other people are posting on their behalf ? And how valid are these posts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get one part, nobody who has gotten an offer has posted, but it's eirher brother/sister or their friend posting. Not sure why other people are posting on their behalf ? And how valid are these posts?
I'm just trying to help you guyz out so u guys don't go crazy calling AB about when UCC gonna send out admissions and my sister doesn't use SDN so I decided to inform u guyz.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight.. So far not a single person on this forum has received an offer or heard back any information at all... But suddenly fartmanjoe's sister got accepted? Im ready to abandon this forum -_-

So let me get this straight.. So far not a single person on this forum has received an offer or heard back any information at all... But suddenly fartmanjoe's sister got accepted? Im ready to abandon this forum -_-
Fine don't believe me. You can call them tomorrow and ask them.

Hello everybody! I just read through all of the posts on this forum. You guys are freaking out! Just stay calm! I applied to TCD and UCC. I have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree with a GPA of 3.3 in America but about a 3.7 by Canadian standards. I have taken Microbiology, Anatomy, Physioloy, Chem, and a graduate-level course in Advanced Pathophysiology. I have worked in surgery at a level-one trauma hospital for 8 years. I am certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Life Support by the American Heart Association. I know it is very competitive to get in, so fingers crossed!! I hope nobody here is disappointed at the end of this process!!

Last edited:
Hello everybody! I just read through all of the posts on this forum. You guys are freaking out! Just stay calm! I applied to TCD and UCC. I have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree with a GPA of 3.3 in America but about a 3.7 by Canadian standards. I have taken Microbiology, Anatomy, Physioloy, Chem, and a graduate-level course in Advanced Pathophysiology. I have worked in surgery at a level-one trauma hospital for 8 years. I am certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Life Support by the American Heart Association. I know it is very competitive to get in, so fingers crossed!! I hope nobody here is disappointed at the end of this process!!
Wow amazing accomplishments. Why the sudden change because it seems that your really successful in your career! Thatd be an interesting interview question

Wow amazing accomplishments. Why the sudden change because it seems that your really successful in your career! Thatd be an interesting interview question
I had a coworker who was going through dental school while working part time as a nurse as well and I became very interested in dentistry after talking with him. And I like learning new and challenging skills! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Since we know that there is a very limited number of 4 year program offers, it's possible that those who got offers are not on SDN lol!

Hopefully, and probably in the following weeks people posting here will be receiving positive replies from the schools for the 5 year programs!:happy:

Guys we need to accept this fact:

For a long time they have had the first round offer list (for the grad program) ready, but for some reason one or several individuals or parties preferred to inform us that no offers have been made, even until up to now.

So I say, we give ABP and Ireland a break, and stop getting frustrated over conflicting information. We can worry about it, say in a week or two, if nobody has gotten anything for the 5 year programs.

Finally, we'll just have to trust them for now, they are most likely finalizing the next lists of offers, and good luck to everybody! :luck:

Last edited:
3.3 American to a 3.7 Canadian? Is there really that much of a difference in GPA between countries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well
3.3 American to a 3.7 Canadian? Is there really that much of a difference in GPA between countries?
I don't think there is. Admissions GPA requirements are higher for Canadian schools because there aren't as many schools in Canada, thus there is more competition for seats.

But I also seen in many discussion posts that it's easier to achieve higher GPAs in American schools than Canadian schools

And I don't think it is necessarily more difficult to get into Canadian schools just because they are fewer in number

But I also seen in many discussion posts that it's easier to achieve higher GPAs in American schools than Canadian schools

And I don't think it is necessarily more difficult to get into Canadian schools just because they are fewer in number
Well...I have some friends in American schools and I can tell you this: Things like bowling, P.E., chess, etc. would never be a university course in a Canadian school haha.

It is more difficult to get into Canadian Dental schools, that's why so many Canadians apply to American schools but you rarely hear about Americans applying to Canadian schools. The GPA and DAT standards are higher and ECs don't count for anything, they just give you something to talk about during the interview for the 2-4 behavioral questions that might come up.

Last edited:
I agree, I was actually referring to 'Canadian schools' for undergrad degrees and not dental schools. Dental schools in Canada are indeed way more competitive.

Im curious about this as well, how did you end up with this conversion, because if anything i would say its harder to attain a high gpa in a canadian school than it is in an american school, from what i have seen atleast.

Im curious about this as well, how did you end up with this conversion, because if anything i would say its harder to attain a high gpa in a canadian school than it is in an american school, from what i have seen atleast.
Hey ashyyyjayyy! I hope you're having a good day! I have a friend who is a professor at an university here in America who informed of the GPA conversion between America and Canada. If the info I have provided is correct or incorrect, it is irrelevant really. But if I make a 100 average in a 3 hour course and a 89.4 average in another 3 hour course, the cumulative GPA for those two courses is a 3.5. In America a B letter grade is from 80-89. Any B letter grade is a 3.0 no matter if it is an 80 or 89.4. And the same with a 100 average or 90 average, both are 4.0. Also, a 2.0 is 70-79.4. I am sure Canadian colleges provide a great education. But just to defend the American college institutions, if you "Google" the top 100 colleges in the world, I'm sure you will find many American universities at the top of the list. :)

Last edited:
I think it's pretty hard to make a direct (representative) conversion that is universal. I haven't bothered to see how my GPA converts- in fact it's a bit irrelevant to the programs in Ireland. Don't get me wrong grades are important; but the thing I really like about Ireland dental schools is that they look at your extracurriculars and consider your program difficulty when evaluating your application as well.

Also.... Let's not get into the subjectivity of which university is more difficult than another and which provides a higher quality education... I beg of you.

On another, more entertaining note- I had a dream last night that there was a FedEx truck outside my house. Nothing happened. It just sat there. For days. There was a package on the seat with my name on it. But I couldn't get to it. The driver never came back.

I didn't realize FedEx would begin to invade my dreams. I blame late night reviews of this forum for updates haha :)

I think it's pretty hard to make a direct (representative) conversion that is universal. I haven't bothered to see how my GPA converts- in fact it's a bit irrelevant to the programs in Ireland. Don't get me wrong grades are important; but the thing I really like about Ireland dental schools is that they look at your extracurriculars and consider your program difficulty when evaluating your application as well.

Also.... Let's not get into the subjectivity of which university is more difficult than another and which provides a higher quality education... I beg of you.

On another, more entertaining note- I had a dream last night that there was a FedEx truck outside my house. Nothing happened. It just sat there. For days. There was a package on the seat with my name on it. But I couldn't get to it. The driver never came back.

I didn't realize FedEx would begin to invade my dreams. I blame late night reviews of this forum for updates haha :)
Tell me about it.... I've never been so desperate to see the mailman walk up the driveway -_- If you look at the FAQ / instructions the majority of the information they tell us is related to getting good LoR and doing a good personal essay. They keep saying that grades and GPA are not as accurate to use to asses an individual for school and it is not weighed as heavily.

I'm really confused. So offers for grad program is out already ??

Yes, but they may or may not have finished giving out their first round.

There has been no direct confirmation yet, just second hand stories. ABP has declined any offers being sent out thus far, so who knows.

Most likely-"likely" is the key word we will hear back next week(latest update we have all heard straight from atlantic bridge- the people who send out the letters)
Also I do not think all offers are sent out exactly at the same time. Example joe's letter might be sent on monday, bobs offers on friday etc.
Personally I prefer the 5 year program over the 4 year due to the course layout and workload

Last edited:
There has been no direct confirmation yet, just second hand stories. ABP has declined any offers being sent out thus far, so who knows.
Well put PhilThril. Second hand stories are all we really have at this point... No reason to get worried if you haven't heard anything

Most likely-"likely" is the key word we will hear back next week(latest update we have all heard straight from atlantic bridge- the people who send out the letters)
Also I do not think all offers are sent out exactly at the same time. Example joe's letter might be sent on monday, bobs offers on friday etc.
Personally I prefer the 5 year program over the 4 year due to the course layout and workload
I agree with Samiam...I was accepted early to a professional program in the past. I really wished that I had the opportunity to take another year (even though at the time I didn't see it that way). It ended in me playing 'catch up' the whole time, and it wasn't a very positive experience. I would way rather have 5 years of preparation... but that's the type of student I am. I like to take my time and be assured that I know everything... some people are great test writers and seem to know everything right off the bat; I'm not quite like that. Also I agree with the time line that was mentioned. For example: if Samiam got a letter on Tuesday next week, and I got a letter on the following Monday, we may be in the same selection/offer cycle, it's just the order that the paperwork was processed.

If it makes anyone feel better, I was working with an Orthodontist today that said that "if you really want dentistry, keep applying because application committee's recognize that... If you want to do this for the next 30+ years of your life that badly; you'll get in eventually. What's another year or three?". He was on the application committees for a Canadian School (won't say which for anonymity), but it was encouraging advice to me.

how are you guys financing this? which banks give good student loans?

"The course workload for the 4 and 5 year programs are exactly the same, the only difference is in the first year of the 5 year program you do intro classes, many of which are similar to courses youve done in undergrad (anatomy, biochem... etc) after the first year its exactly like the 4 year program, the first year really turns out to be a waste when it comes down to it."

This is what someone in the 5 year program at UCC told me

Well put PhilThril. Second hand stories are all we really have at this point... No reason to get worried if you haven't heard anything

Hey guyz here's the letter my sis received through email from AB. Don't know how much of the letter I'm allowed to show but here you go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guyz here's the letter my sis received through email from AB. Don't know how much of the letter I'm allowed to show but here you go.
That's great congrats to your sister!
From what I know there are very few spots for the graduate entry program, she must have had all the courses they required. Looks like offers have slowly started to roll out for the 4 year.
I guess this is a good sign, they should start releasing offers for the 5 year soon. At least UCC, not sure about trinity college.

* other people hoping for the 4 year at UCC don't freak out, like I said before some people receive email updates + the actual letter in mail, whereas most people have to wait for the actual letter.

Last edited:
yeah I think its safe to say the majority of the 4 year placements are gone, like I said, someone told me they got accepted back in December to the 4 year. Thinking about it positively, these people that have already been accepted to the 4 year program would have been accepted to the 5 year one too, so it doesnt hurt us in a sense.

congrats to u sister, I really want one of those emails, id frame it LOL

Thanks for posting that. How much was the deposit they asked for and how long does your sister have to accept the offer?

I don't believe it, why is this letter broken into two parts? And one part with the April 2015 only mentions medicine NO mention of dentistry and also who puts just a month but not a date on such an official letter? I'm sorry I won't believe until anybody here receives letter in the mail.

I don't believe it, why is this letter broken into two parts? And one part with the April 2015 only mentions medicine NO mention of dentistry and also who puts just a month but not a date on such an official letter? I'm sorry I won't believe until anybody here receives letter in the mail.

It is pretty believable...

Haha it is pretty believable

If you look at
http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/medicine/med004.html
http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/medicine/med018.html

at the course calendar for graduate entry and 5 year entry it seems that the graduate entry students they take classes with existing second year students. This leads me(just speculation for fun, don't take it seriously) That these spots open up when some second years drop out(how else would they have space in the 45-50 people classes)
The majority of spots should be available for the 5 year entry, for which offers are yet to be made.
We are all being still being considered for UCC and TCD(people have seem to have forgotten the second school lol), just be patient we should be hearing from ABP soon enough.

I completed my application pretty late,i.e, end of March. Does it mean that I am going to miss the first round of offers? :(

Lets hold a poll.. When did everyone complete their applications? Mine was completed feb 1 (right before they started looking at them)

i had mine postmarked before november, but completed in january i think

I am hoping that this is the week that 5 year offers start rolling out!

I received confirmation that they had all my documents on Nov. 19th

So idk about anybody else but I have a great feeling about this week! It starts off with an 0830 biochem exam (which will rock thank you very much!) and then I will come home to an acceptance letter after spanking the final. :)

" a man can dream right, a man can always dream "

Does anyone know how many people apply and get into each school?

I completed my application pretty late,i.e, end of March. Does it mean that I am going to miss the first round of offers? :(
Hi Dent hopeful, unfortunately none of us here can give you an answer and can only speculate, you're going to have to contact Atlantic Bridge since they have communication with the universities.
good luck!
Have a good feeling about this week thinking thurs-fri is the day for us :thumbup:

Reactions: 5 users
I think I'm going crazy.. Everywhere I go I see FedEx trucks: FedEx Ground, FedEx Express, FedEx Freight...there has never been so many in my city... o_O

My god, what the hell happened here?! The last 3 pages accomplished absolutely nothing.
I thought we weren't going to do this....lmao
*slow clap*.