Auburn c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was waitlisted :(. Do you guys know if they'll let alternates know if a position opens up before April 15th? Auburn is my first choice and where I would get in-state tuition, but I do not want to turn down the one other school that accepted me (Illinois) unless I know for sure there is a spot for me at Auburn. Gahhh I don't know what to do. Illinois requires a 500 dollar deposit too. Should I go ahead and send that or wait to see if Auburn lets me know before April 15th?
I would hope that they would sooner rather than later, but I've heard of plenty of people coming off of the waitlist as late as the summer. That being said, it might be wise to take the offer where you are guaranteed a spot in a vet program unless you are dead set on Auburn. The worst that could happen would be losing your deposit at Illinois if you ended up being offered a spot at Auburn (and probably some difficulty if you made living arrangements). In the long and short of it, $500 is a drop in the bucket when you are comparing the total costs of IS vs OOS tuition.
For now, I say don't sweat it too much and see how things play out. Illinois is also a great school. As it gets closer to the deadline to make a decision at Illinios, then consider these factors and what is most important to you in a vet school (cost, program, etc). :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the call -- I'm in!!! Good luck to all you other IS'ers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! Congrats!!!!!

Hey guys!
I saw y'all talk about housing and such in the area. I'll be going to Tuskegee, but I'm living in Auburn now and interviewed as IS this year. I don't know if y'all went to the financial session that Kaye gave, but she has compiled a list of places that are renting/for sale (condos/trailers), so I would strongly suggest contacting her if you're looking for a place. Also -- the trailer parks by the vet school are *not* what one thinks of when you hear "trailer park". At least 75% of the people living in them attend the university or vet school (or Tuskegee's vet school). Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about apt complexes/living accommodations nearby!

Reactions: 1 user
Declined my acceptance this past Friday! Good luck to everybody on the wait list!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, v0712! Any Kentucky residents on here planning on declining their acceptance? I'm on the waitlist as a contract in-state student from ky :blackeye:

Just got the call from Kaye today...I'm off the waitlist! UNBELIEVABLY EXCITED! A little frustrating that I stupidly sent the 500 dollar deposit to Illinois only a couple days ago, but still so excited it doesn't even matter to me haha. According to the post office's "package tracker," the check hasn't even gotten to Illinois yet. Do you think maybe I could put a payment stop on the check or something or will that just make Illinois mad?

I declined my IS acceptance; good luck to whoever gets the spot! :)

Just got the call from Kaye today...I'm off the waitlist! UNBELIEVABLY EXCITED! A little frustrating that I stupidly sent the 500 dollar deposit to Illinois only a couple days ago, but still so excited it doesn't even matter to me haha. According to the post office's "package tracker," the check hasn't even gotten to Illinois yet. Do you think maybe I could put a payment stop on the check or something or will that just make Illinois mad?

I would call U of I to see if they would be willing tear up the check when it comes.

If I were you I would cancel the check through your bank and send Illinois an email saying you won't be accepting the seat and please dispose of the check. If you've cancelled it already, they won't be able to take your money so you won't be relying on them. It's your money, so don't let them take it. Who cares about making them mad? You won't be going there. And they shouldn't give you a hard time about not wanting to pay a deposit for a seat you're not taking anyway.

Congratulations on the acceptance, by the way!

Thank you! Yeah I called Illinois to ask if they would refund the check even though they made it clear in the acceptance letter that all checks were non-refundable. She said she didn't know but to e-mail the admissions office and she would forward it to the associate dean so they have a record of the request. I have done so, but I have NEVER gotten a response to one of my e-mails to them before (and there have been a lot of them haha). I'm not sure at what point I should just call again or if I should just go ahead and cancel the check

Thank you! Yeah I called Illinois to ask if they would refund the check even though they made it clear in the acceptance letter that all checks were non-refundable. She said she didn't know but to e-mail the admissions office and she would forward it to the associate dean so they have a record of the request. I have done so, but I have NEVER gotten a response to one of my e-mails to them before (and there have been a lot of them haha). I'm not sure at what point I should just call again or if I should just go ahead and cancel the check

Seriously, cancel the check now. Even if they tell you they won't cash it, it could still easily end up in a pile of checks to be deposited and you'll lose the money anyway. You did the polite thing and notified them you won't be attending. If you don't take it in your own hands to cancel the check, don't be surprised when they take the money from your account. Think of it as insurance that they'll do what they said they would and not take the money. Personally, I think it would be a poor decision to leave it in their hands. You want to keep your money, so cancel the check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind me asking, are you IS or OOS? What were your successful statistics?

Do you mind me asking, are you IS or OOS? What were your successful statistics?

I'm a Kentucky resident so I was "in-state" in that Auburn was my contract school; I was out of state for Illinois. I got super lucky and didn't expect to get in at all this cycle because my statistics are not nearly as amazing as most of the people on here. My gpa was only about 3.3, but I did have a lot of lab animal, small animal, and research experience. I really have no idea what Auburn and Illinois saw in me haha.

Just making sure...that new "cell biology" requirement is for next cycle's applicants, not the Class of 2019, right? I just saw it on the "Prospective Student's Brochure" for Auburn and it kind of freaked me out because I never took cell bio. I don't remember seeing that requirement when I applied and no one has notified me about missing it.

Just making sure...that new "cell biology" requirement is for next cycle's applicants, not the Class of 2019, right? I just saw it on the "Prospective Student's Brochure" for Auburn and it kind of freaked me out because I never took cell bio. I don't remember seeing that requirement when I applied and no one has notified me about missing it.
The cell biology, if i am not mistaken can be substituted for genetics. And Congratulations!! I envy you so much, but that is extraordinary and such a blessing! I have a 3.65 and am OOS. I have a lot of experience but I was selected as an alternate. I am super honored to be an alternate, it would be even greater to become a student though! Oh well, I am holding on!

I got my call at about 8:30 this morning!! It was a really hard decision because I loved Auburn so much but I turned it down (purely because I am interested in exotics). Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! I asked Kaye and she said I was number 13 out of 108 on the waitlist and so far only a few have accepted the offer. So there is hope for everyone out there!

I got my call at about 8:30 this morning!! It was a really hard decision because I loved Auburn so much but I turned it down (purely because I am interested in exotics). Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! I asked Kaye and she said I was number 13 out of 108 on the waitlist and so far only a few have accepted the offer. So there is hope for everyone out there!
Oh, that is extraordinary news!! Congratulations on your offer and I hope that you get to become a vet for exotics!!

Does anybody know the exact address where we are supposed to send our final official transcripts to? And whether they have to be paper copies or can be electronic?

Does anybody know the exact address where we are supposed to send our final official transcripts to? And whether they have to be paper copies or can be electronic?

Are you in out Facebook group yet? Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2019

Try asking in there! I'm not sure about the answer but someone might!

Letter came in mail today with all that information.

For those of you looking for a place to live:

Lot 41 Conway Acres – 2003 Model 14' x 60' Chandeleur (made in Boaz, AL)– 2 Bedroom/2 Bath with a large covered wood deck front porch and a large fenced yard. On a tree covered lot with a lot of shade. Nice all year and a very relaxing environment and serenity for a quiet study atmosphere. Fully stocked lakes for fishing and trails to go hiking through the woods. Perfect place for dog owners. Almost completely furnished... including a large gas barbecue grill! Includes washer, dryer, refrigerator, stove, pots and pans, desk with lamp and whiteboard, furniture, central heat and air, etc.Also some dishes, pots and pans and cooking utensils in kitchen. Available NOW.

ASKING: $17,000 Call (256) 227-3340.

Does Auburn use a grading scale with minuses--like A- instead of just A?