Away rotation advice/strategy request!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oznefu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to strategize away rotation applications? I am planning on doing away's during July-October. From what I have recently learned, programs all have different application and notification dates, with what seems to be 'rolling' admissions.

How many aways does one usually apply to? Should I apply for all the same programs for each month to increase my odds of getting a position, or just a couple programs per month? I'm worried that if I apply to too few, I risk not getting a position, or if I apply to too many, I risk having to decline some acceptances, and will it look bad if I do?) #help

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn’t look bad to decline acceptances If you give enough time. Try to do it at least 1-2 months in advance so other students can take the spot. Declining last minute (2 weeks or less) does look bad.

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn’t look bad to decline acceptances If you give enough time. Try to do it at least 1-2 months in advance so other students can take the spot. Declining last minute (2 weeks or less) does look bad.

Thank you for your response :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to strategize away rotation applications? I am planning on doing away's during July-October. From what I have recently learned, programs all have different application and notification dates, with what seems to be 'rolling' admissions.

How many aways does one usually apply to? Should I apply for all the same programs for each month to increase my odds of getting a position, or just a couple programs per month? I'm worried that if I apply to too few, I risk not getting a position, or if I apply to too many, I risk having to decline some acceptances, and will it look bad if I do?) #help

Thanks in advance!

I would prioritize the 2 programs you like most by putting all 4 months for those, and try to do them during the first month and last month to avoid overlap with anything in the middle. Its quite difficult to get 4 aways in 4 months that line up in a way that allows you to attend all 4 without having to leave one or more rotations early. You could also just apply to programs with dates that line up perfectly and in that case you should put down any month you're willing to attend. Then once you get your first away, notify the other programs that you can't attend that month (assuming you prefer that place over the ones that are pending). Also be sure to check the spreadsheet (if it still exists) to make sure you aren't rotating somewhere you really like in October after all the interview invites have gone out (uncommon for derm). Things may have changed since I did VSAS but hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user